View Full Version : Something funny...

Oni
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6736809.stm
The church is taking legal action lol.

GommeInc
09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Looking at the video, I have come up with these conclusions:

1. It isn't on to show a bloody battle in a church, but anywhere else is fine.
2. Christians believe children/teenagers will believe anything. I suppose they would, considering they believe a book is real.
3. Christian parents sell games of an 18 certificate to under 18s. If not, it is hinted strongly in that video, cosnidering they are saying the "brains of their children" are what they are fighting for.
4. Christians only care for their children. Other children can be warped, and obviously they won't kill the unwarped children :rolleyes:
5. I am done now.

CrazyColaist
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
thats rly sad.

Neil
09-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't think it's the fact of what is happening but that all that is going on inside a holy place when the church wasn't asked which really ****** them off, maybe certain events take place in that church now that have influenced younger kids that may of played the game and gone to the church and noticed they are the same

Minstrels
10-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Maybe Manchester Cathedral is doing it because on the game when your in the Cathedral you have big f*** off guns and your shooting aliens/robots while there destroying the 'home of god' not like I'm religious but you need to look it at from there point of view. Just like Muslims would be ****** off if it happened in a Mosque or something. :rolleyes:

Oni
10-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Maybe Manchester Cathedral is doing it because on the game when your in the Cathedral you have big f*** off guns and your shooting aliens/robots while there destroying the 'home of god' not like I'm religious but you need to look it at from there point of view. Just like Muslims would be ****** off if it happened in a Mosque or something. :rolleyes:
Did I say it was stupid? no, I just think its funny that the church is going to sue sony.

mangle
10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Didn't the church claim it was killing PEOPLE in the church when infact it was killing aliens. And if im honest if you're that stupid to believe aliens invaded earth and ended up in a church in manchester cathedral well you need a serious head check.

Neil
10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Didn't the church claim it was killing PEOPLE in the church when infact it was killing aliens. And if im honest if you're that stupid to believe aliens invaded earth and ended up in a church in manchester cathedral well you need a serious head check.

Yea but you still need to remember the much younger children like under 10, I know people under 10 play the game because there parents don't care, children that young will not know the difference between fiction and reality, up until a certain age they'll probably believe anything you tell them

Minstrels
10-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Did I say it was stupid? no, I just think its funny that the church is going to sue sony.

I wasn't implying it to you. ;)

Technologic
10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Lol i have that game. It's so hard >_> Not even there yet

It's a bit odd.. i've been there before o.o

Frodo13.
10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Ive compleated Reistance. The fact that the character is shooting ALIENS and not HUMANS makes it an entirely diffrent matter.

The Church of England is making such an issue out of this. Think of games like GTA: LCS, where the vicar gets Toni to kill people and comitt crimes, there was no fuss over that. And think of all the war games where people have war in church...

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Yea but you still need to remember the much younger children like under 10, I know people under 10 play the game because there parents don't care, children that young will not know the difference between fiction and reality, up until a certain age they'll probably believe anything you tell them
Then it is the parents to blame for letting underaged children play a game like that.

The church are just finding something to moan about. The Cathedral is being saved by someone destroying the evil that has fallen upon it. Why can't religious believers see the oh so obvious?

Neil
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Then it is the parents to blame for letting underaged children play a game like that.

The church are just finding something to moan about. The Cathedral is being saved by someone destroying the evil that has fallen upon it. Why can't religious believers see the oh so obvious?

Yea but to them it's a big deal, I'm sure you'd feel the same way if they did a game and you're house was in it and looked almost exactly the same, there are various security issues aswell as other things that would happen

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Yea but to them it's a big deal, I'm sure you'd feel the same way if they did a game and you're house was in it and looked almost exactly the same, there are various security issues aswell as other things that would happen
I wouldn't really mind? I wouldn't mind if any building I knew was in the game? I don't exactly worship my house and it's just a building to me. There aren't really any security issues either? To enter a cathedral, you either go through the main entrance, vestrary (sp) entrance or the entrace on the left of the main entrance? I doubt a game would add vents, boiler rooms etc.

It's fictional, they should accept it as that. The point of the game was and is fictional, it was probably far from from harming the actual people who worship there. I would actually find it quite humerous, you could point out what parts are what and where you sit in the cathedral on the game. It's just a low level excuse to moan.

Neil
10-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't really mind? I wouldn't mind if any building I knew was in the game? I don't exactly worship my house and it's just a building to me. There aren't really any security issues either? To enter a cathedral, you either go through the main entrance, vestrary (sp) entrance or the entrace on the left of the main entrance? I doubt a game would add vents, boiler rooms etc.

It's fictional, they should accept it as that. The point of the game was and is fictional, it was probably far from from harming the actual people who worship there. I would actually find it quite humerous, you could point out what parts are what and where you sit in the cathedral on the game. It's just a low level excuse to moan.

It is a security issue because you can walk around and look at all the things in the room, find good places for stuff, say if a terrorist wanted to attack it they could just use the game to find places to hide bombs or ways to get out quickly

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 12:31 PM
It is a security issue because you can walk around and look at all the things in the room, find good places for stuff, say if a terrorist wanted to attack it they could just use the game to find places to hide bombs or ways to get out quickly
Churches aren't exactly hard places to plan an attack on. There are pews? So you have about 50+ pews to hide a bomb under. You have the altar which is probably good aswell. Although churches/cathedrals are quite solid buildings, and an attack would be kinda poor. Unless they bring in giant explosives the size of a water cooler water bottle. And another reason an attack on the church is kinda poor is that they're not crowded by objects and I imagine people check areas before and after a service? Would the game even have that good detail? The game seems kinda bare?

If they use the excuse for a terrorist attack, it is just a poor excuse at the end of the day, anywhere can suffer an attack. I doubt the cathedral would be any greater than a monumental building like Parliament or even the Tower of London. The only reason they have against the game is that it shows, graphically, the house of God being shot to bits and destroyed in one way or another.

Neil
10-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Churches aren't exactly hard places to plan an attack on. There are pews? So you have about 50+ pews to hide a bomb under. You have the altar which is probably good aswell. Although churches/cathedrals are quite solid buildings, and an attack would be kinda poor. Unless they bring in giant explosives the size of a water cooler water bottle. And another reason an attack on the church is kinda poor is that they're not crowded by objects and I imagine people check areas before and after a service? Would the game even have that good detail? The game seems kinda bare?

If they use the excuse for a terrorist attack, it is just a poor excuse at the end of the day, anywhere can suffer an attack. I doubt the cathedral would be an greater than a monumental building like Parliament or even the Tower of London. The only reason they have against the game is that it shows, graphically, the house of God being shot to bits and destroyed in one way or another.

It would be pointless to attack a church but the thing is you need permission for stuff like that, if you use a real car in a game you need permission to use the cars name, I'm guessing this church is thinking the same way, even if an attack seems very unlikely who knows, who would of expected 9/11? It's just a precaution

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
But the precaution isn't required to be greater than any other place? And I don't think you need to ask permission to use a church. I've not come across it at least. A car is generally copyrighted as it were, to the company, but a church is, just a church? A landmark, not a trademark.

CrazyColaist
10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
o they gunna sue sony?

o Sue em all you want!

Neil
10-06-2007, 01:00 PM
But the precaution isn't required to be greater than any other place? And I don't think you need to ask permission to use a church. I've not come across it at least. A car is generally copyrighted as it were, to the company, but a church is, just a church? A landmark, not a trademark.

Yea but if they want to take it then they can, a boy did a Counter-Strike map that looked exactly like his school, they found out transfered him and deleted the map, just as a precaution

Fez
10-06-2007, 02:54 PM
=/

FIRST THEY BAN MANHUNT
THEN THAT HOT COFFEE THING
THEN JACK THOMPSON -.-'
AND NOW THIS?

Hell if aliens invaded Earth what would be the most popularist buildings?

CHURCHES?

People would pray in them.

Obviously Aliens would go in them to kill 50 at one time, so what's so wrong with it.

"kk ur kilin ppl bant dis gm pls''
=/

I would agree if it was a GTA game and a level set in the Cathedreal

BUT NTY.

Neil
10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
=/

FIRST THEY BAN MANHUNT
THEN THAT HOT COFFEE THING
THEN JACK THOMPSON -.-'
AND NOW THIS?

Hell if aliens invaded Earth what would be the most popularist buildings?

CHURCHES?

People would pray in them.

Obviously Aliens would go in them to kill 50 at one time, so what's so wrong with it.

"kk ur kilin ppl bant dis gm pls''
=/

I would agree if it was a GTA game and a level set in the Cathedreal

BUT NTY.

I think it was Mafia, there was a level in a church, you killed loads of guys during a funeral

Pyroka
10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
It'd be a laugh if they did ban this game... But I do doubt they will. This rather reminds me of the escapades of a American lawyer trying to get the new GTA banned in the states, and potentially worldwide.

Technologic
10-06-2007, 05:17 PM

Actually. You are killing genetically modified people :]

Minstrels
10-06-2007, 05:22 PM
It has been removed off the shelves in shops until a decision is made
Looks like Sony's best seller isn't going to sell any more. :P

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Yea but if they want to take it then they can, a boy did a Counter-Strike map that looked exactly like his school, they found out transfered him and deleted the map, just as a precaution
That's kinda sad? It's so unbelievably barmy it's as if it isn't real! Getting transferred because of a coutner strike map of a school "/

Neil
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
That's kinda sad? It's so unbelievably barmy it's as if it isn't real! Getting transferred because of a coutner strike map of a school "/

Yea, it was on Gamespot, I'll find the link

Edit - http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25605076&print=1

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Yea, it was on Gamespot, I'll find the link

Edit - http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25605076&print=1
That's really bizarre... I am speechless!

Neil
10-06-2007, 07:50 PM
That's really bizarre... I am speechless!

Yea, people take security really strictly now, especially because of Iraq, which doesn't seem like a threat to anyone outside Iraq now, they took that so seriously because the kid that made it was Chinese and they found out about the map a little while after that thing in America with the Chinese guy that shot lots of people

GommeInc
10-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Yea, people take security really strictly now, especially because of Iraq, which doesn't seem like a threat to anyone outside Iraq now, they took that so seriously because the kid that made it was Chinese and they found out about the map a little while after that thing in America with the Chinese guy that shot lots of people
Ah that might be why. Makes sense now.

Neil
10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
The church is either peed because "the home of God" is being blasted to pieces, the game has caused problems for the church with younger children that may of played the game and do not know the difference between real life and fiction or they're just worried for the safety of the church and anyone who may be in it

Jamesy
10-06-2007, 08:44 PM
i can see their point of view, but worse things happn in movies and stuff. Mosques get blown up in iraq so they really cant complain that much. And churches are suppose to be places of sanctuary rnt they? Could be in a game too :D

Aces
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
huh, nice church lol.

Vause
11-06-2007, 10:35 AM
How stupid :/

kano
11-06-2007, 11:36 AM
if it was a mosque getting blown up in the game then everyone would be making a massive fuzz and saying the game devs are being racist and all that.
i think they should of had permission to use the church in the game before even starting work on it
just my opinion

Frodo13.
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I think this could work well for Sony.

The game is getting LOTS of publisity atm. Im sure lots of PS3 owers would buy the game to see what the fuss is all about.

In response to another thread on this subject, the PS3 will only be in a basement with the Dreamcast when the PS4 comes out. The PS3 price tag is dropping, and Im confident in saying that the PS3 will be a top seller this Christmas

If the game gets took of shelves, it honastly wont be the end of Sony. This part of the game get easily be redeveloped, it happend with The Getaway. If the game gets took off sheleves permantly...so what? Its not a top-seller anymore, its dropped dramticlly reacently.

Minstrels
11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
They cant buy the game, it's been taken off the shelves.

Frodo13.
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
They cant buy the game, it's been taken off the shelves.

when/if its put back up. its hardly a big seller anymore anyway

Pyroka
12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh and what is a big seller then? Motorstorm? Hey, maybe a driving awareness company will ban that too for promoting 'agressive driving'. Heh.

Neil
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh and what is a big seller then? Motorstorm? Hey, maybe a driving awareness company will ban that too for promoting 'agressive driving'. Heh.

Motorstorm looks good though :P

Pyroka
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
It does, but so does Resistance tbh... Never stopped that really did it. The churches don't care in good looks, I mean look at the damn pope!

Neil
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
It does, but so does Resistance tbh... Never stopped that really did it. The churches don't care in good looks, I mean look at the damn pope!

Resistance never really appealed to me, looks like a high detail version of half life

Pyroka
12-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Meh it looked like MOH to me and I like that game quite a bit so I would've bought it if it was on Xbox 360, however it wasn't. I guess I'm sort of glad now, lol. Ooo god I could've bought Shadowrun today! =[

Neil
12-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Meh it looked like MOH to me and I like that game quite a bit so I would've bought it if it was on Xbox 360, however it wasn't. I guess I'm sort of glad now, lol. Ooo god I could've bought Shadowrun today! =[

Yea Shadowrun looks awesome, I was thinking about buying it xD

Pyroka
12-06-2007, 05:08 PM
BUY IT BOY! PM me on the day when you're gonna buy it so I can buy it and we can have a few matches. We'll be of the same skill and will have the same problem: HOW DO I SUMMONZZZZZ?!?!?!??!?!?!

Frodo13.
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Motorstorm looks good though :P

it is a gd game, and to pyroka. thats also not the best seller atm. and if they were to ban motorstorm, then virtually all racing games would need to be banned for the same reason. crash bandicoot racing...throw missiles at other drivers to get in front. would u propose a ban 2 that? no.if this was on tv or in a film, i doubt there would be a big fuss. people need to realise games r just another type of media

Minstrels
13-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Well then I think it's going to be banned, Tony Blair was talking about it in the Commons today.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!