PDA

View Full Version : A little question

--ss--
16-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Is this the way people code their layouts?

Make layout on photoshop/paint
use photoshop/fireworks to slice into bits
rebuild the sites with the bits on frontpage
copy the code and uplaod images to server?

Just read a few tuts and tried putting them all together myself :p

ScottDiamond
16-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Only if that person is mentally *Text Removed*

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Moderator): Please don't avoid the filter.

--ss--
16-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Only if that person is mentally *Text Removed*

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Moderator): Please don't avoid the filter.lol well all that tuts i read they use frontpage O.o
How is it done then?

Puma
16-06-2007, 03:56 PM
why don't you ask someone to do it for you?

WarezKid
16-06-2007, 03:57 PM
becasue he wants to learn how to do it ;l

--ss--
16-06-2007, 03:57 PM
why don't you ask someone to do it for you?
No fun in that , i want to learn how to do things myself :)

Puma
16-06-2007, 03:59 PM
o lol hmm there a tut in this forum somewhere..

ScottDiamond
16-06-2007, 04:08 PM
lol well all that tuts i read they use frontpage O.o
How is it done then?

If they want buckets load of vomit as their code, they do use frontpage, yes.

Try Dreamweaver or Notepad ++.

LeftForDead
16-06-2007, 04:12 PM

What then u

LeftForDead
16-06-2007, 04:12 PM

what then u just open up the file in that and it will code it?

Edited by NintendoNews (Super Moderator): Please do not double post.

Colin-Roberts
16-06-2007, 04:23 PM
learn div's and css then you can code valid layouts.

Aflux
16-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Split the image into a header, background and footer.
Fix the heights of the header and footer and put the background at 100%.

Whey, expandable div.

.:!Robbo!:.
16-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Is this the way people code their layouts?

Make layout on photoshop/paint
use photoshop/fireworks to slice into bits
rebuild the sites with the bits on frontpage
copy the code and uplaod images to server?

Just read a few tuts and tried putting them all together myself :p
The first part is right

Make layout, then slice, but then you save as Web/ Devices and save as html and images then if you have dreamweaver you can just open the HTML Folder instead of trying to put the website together with the images lol also it creates a new folder called images when you save it aswell.

Invent
16-06-2007, 06:11 PM
^ No that's the wrong way.

If you construct the site yourself its better ¬_¬

--ss--
16-06-2007, 06:13 PM
If i use frontpage will i still get the same result?
I rather use frontpage as its a full WYSIWYG editor , also im pretty sure notepad is used for making codes/ scripts , not pretty sure how i'd code a layout with it.

Jõnathan
16-06-2007, 06:19 PM
If i use frontpage will i still get the same result?
I rather use frontpage as its a full WYSIWYG editor , also im pretty sure notepad is used for making codes/ scripts , not pretty sure how i'd code a layout with it.

I think that Dreamweaver's a WYSIWYG editor as well, although I'm not sure though...

Sunny.
16-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Urm this is the way to do very basic and well crap coding

Make layout
Slice in photoshop/Imageready
Go to save optimized as >> Images and HTML >> save it as " Index "
and then open it frontpage and jus delete the spacer's

Not the best way but... :rolleyes_

EDIT: i lol'd at your sing Jonathon LOL

Jõnathan
16-06-2007, 06:31 PM
EDIT: i lol'd at your sing Jonathon LOL
Which part?
On-topich: I lol'd at that method you just did :D

--ss--
17-06-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/habbo-ss/
Done it the way B4DWAL said :D
everytime i try to add links to the buttons it all goes weird :'(

Ini
17-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Done it the way B4DWAL said :D
everytime i try to add links to the buttons it all goes weird :'(

As he said it was basic and crap lol

i wrote a tutorial in the tutorials section for frontpage, it's great for beginers

Invent
17-06-2007, 04:59 PM

GET THAT OFF THE INTERNETS _NOW_

Ini
17-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Because Freewebs was used?

Some people like it ;]

Invent
17-06-2007, 05:02 PM
No...
Because of the way it's coded.

Ini
17-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Oh :P

Understandable

--ss--
17-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Pfft freewebs ftw :p
can't find any other decent hostings :(
Don't diss da coding its the best i can do :'(

Nice tut 07 , a shame i dont have frontpage and my photoshop trial ends soon , i know im lame :'(

Ini
17-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Pfft freewebs ftw :p
can't find any other decent hostings :(
Don't diss da coding its the best i can do :'(

Nice tut 07 , a shame i dont have frontpage and my photoshop trial ends soon , i know im lame :'(

Thanks one question how did you get all that rep power ;l

bet it took ages.

--ss--
17-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks one question how did you get all that rep power ;l

bet it took ages.
I have no idea rofl , I guess when i started i already knew alot of people and they repped me and so on :s I'm guessing vip also gave me some of my rep :P
Just realised why the links kept going weird , i forgot to put the borders of the lniks to 0 so they always got a thick border put around them :(

Ini
17-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Lol, ill code it for you for rep :P

--ss--
18-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Lol, ill code it for you for rep :P
lol the layout sucks , why would i ever want it coded :p im just using it so i can learn how to code propley etc :p
I'll rep you anyway ;)

Ini
18-06-2007, 02:40 PM
lol the layout sucks , why would i ever want it coded :p im just using it so i can learn how to code propley etc :p
I'll rep you anyway ;)

:o Thanks ;]

Blob
18-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I have no idea rofl , I guess when i started i already knew alot of people and they repped me and so on :s I'm guessing vip also gave me some of my rep :P
Just realised why the links kept going weird , i forgot to put the borders of the lniks to 0 so they always got a thick border put around them :(

You get rep power every:

Year (when you joined)
Every 2,500 posts
250 rep (i think?)
And every 2 rep blocks I think.

Ini
18-06-2007, 03:57 PM
sounds good

Oni
18-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeh and vips get free rep

Ini
18-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah lol i noticed i bought 6 months and has 15 rep a month :P

--ss--
18-06-2007, 06:22 PM
You get rep power every:

Year (when you joined)
Every 2,500 posts
250 rep (i think?)
And every 2 rep blocks I think.
yep
every 364 days from the day you join
200 rep (witch is 2 rep blocks , 1 rep block = 100 points , well everyone has one rep block to start of with no matter what :p)
2500 posts
and thats it
You get 15 points free for every month of vip you have , if you buy 6 months vip you will get 90 points free , before at the peak of habbox You could win super rares / rep points in the vip competitions but that was when dj-3000/seacat were vip managers

Ini
18-06-2007, 06:28 PM
yep
every 364 days from the day you join
200 rep (witch is 2 rep blocks , 1 rep block = 100 points , well everyone has one rep block to start of with no matter what :p)
2500 posts
and thats it
You get 15 points free for every month of vip you have , if you buy 6 months vip you will get 90 points free , before at the peak of habbox You could win super rares / rep points in the vip competitions but that was when dj-3000/seacat were vip managers

Do you get the yearly rep automatically?

--ss--
18-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Do you get the yearly rep automatically?
Yep , on the exact same time you joined :p ( you dont egt rep points added , you just get a rep power added , same with posts , no points, just a power)

Ini
18-06-2007, 08:13 PM
How many points do you have then?

--ss--
19-06-2007, 02:32 PM
How many points do you have then?
I have 4121 rep points (its in my sig) so that's 21 power then i get another power from being o nthe forum for over a year and i also get another 2 powers for having 5000 posts
pfft this thread has gone seriously off topic :p anyway if i wanted to add text to the centre bit would i make the image of it go in the background and type inside the div?

Mentor
19-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Going against the crowd and being on topic again, before you even try you need to learn html/css. Just try with simple stuff, create layouts just out of divs, no images at all. A box split in to header, footer. etc etc.

Once thats down, then move on to images, when you have your psd of what you want it to look at, think of it in terms of box's, cut out the bit you need, add it to the layout, use bits you can repeat when ever you cant and background colours for flat arias, rather than an image. But the only way you can really choose the bits to cut out and use, is by getting a good understanding of how the codeing works and a final layout must fit together.

Avoide useing a Wysiwyg editor in the beginning, its useful for speeding it up, but if you reluy on it your REALLY going to limit yourself and are never going to learn properly or be able to code anything but the simplist layouts.

My advice is find a good text editor, with code hightingting (makes things nice and clear) and work from there :)

--ss--
19-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the advice :p
What is the 'correct' way of coding , i havent actualy seen a proper tut on how code fully yet :(
What programs are used to code sites etc :(

Going against the crowd and being on topic again, before you even try you need to learn html/css. Just try with simple stuff, create layouts just out of divs, no images at all. A box split in to header, footer. etc etc.

Once thats down, then move on to images, when you have your psd of what you want it to look at, think of it in terms of box's, cut out the bit you need, add it to the layout, use bits you can repeat when ever you cant and background colours for flat arias, rather than an image. But the only way you can really choose the bits to cut out and use, is by getting a good understanding of how the codeing works and a final layout must fit together.

Avoide useing a Wysiwyg editor in the beginning, its useful for speeding it up, but if you reluy on it your REALLY going to limit yourself and are never going to learn properly or be able to code anything but the simplist layouts.

My advice is find a good text editor, with code hightingting (makes things nice and clear) and work from there :)

Mentor
19-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the advice :p
What is the 'correct' way of coding , i havent actualy seen a proper tut on how code fully yet :(
What programs are used to code sites etc :(
Well, to complicate things a bit, there is no "correct" way of coding, nore is there really a correct outcome, it is kinda like an art, different people have different styles of coding, the same layout could easily be coded in a number of different ways, some better some worse.
The aim is to create a layout that displays like its supposed to in any browser, is clearly structured and easy to read, and conforms to the latest xhtml/css standards.
So there are alot of "wrong" ways to code out there, as they dont meet these needs. But that doesn't then mean theres a single right way, 5 people createing one layout, may find 5 differnt ways to create it. One may use a number of emebed divs to set multiple background images in a layered way, another my choose to float the images, or create a main div containing sub divs of that content. Both are just as valid as one another. Which images to slice and which images to keep in larger blocks is another problem which lacks a "right" answer.

So really you just have to practice, find out which way works best for you, what gets you to the right result, fastest and most effectively.

Plus personally i use php expert (basically a text editor with code highlighting) and photoshop, for pretty much all the stuff i do.

Just aim for 3 things.
Valid markup
Easy to read and clearly structured
Layout displaying correctly how ever its viewed
(keep in mind this includes how well it can degrade when in older browsers that lack modern functionary and in really small and really big screen resolutions) Its down to you to work out the best balance between functionality and accessabilty. Some sites you may as well go for the flashyness and not bother about people in old browsers on a tiny screen, since they aint who the sites for. Others its best to have a more basic method that will work for more people.

Buts thats just my opinion

--ss--
19-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks that explained alot , Ever thught of becoming a writer?:eusa_whis
I think i know how divs etc work , im gunna try muck around on freewebs first before i try to do something big :D
Thanks again :)

Well, to complicate things a bit, there is no "correct" way of coding, nore is there really a correct outcome, it is kinda like an art, different people have different styles of coding, the same layout could easily be coded in a number of different ways, some better some worse.
The aim is to create a layout that displays like its supposed to in any browser, is clearly structured and easy to read, and conforms to the latest xhtml/css standards.
So there are alot of "wrong" ways to code out there, as they dont meet these needs. But that doesn't then mean theres a single right way, 5 people createing one layout, may find 5 differnt ways to create it. One may use a number of emebed divs to set multiple background images in a layered way, another my choose to float the images, or create a main div containing sub divs of that content. Both are just as valid as one another. Which images to slice and which images to keep in larger blocks is another problem which lacks a "right" answer.

So really you just have to practice, find out which way works best for you, what gets you to the right result, fastest and most effectively.

Plus personally i use php expert (basically a text editor with code highlighting) and photoshop, for pretty much all the stuff i do.

Just aim for 3 things.
Valid markup
Easy to read and clearly structured
Layout displaying correctly how ever its viewed
(keep in mind this includes how well it can degrade when in older browsers that lack modern functionary and in really small and really big screen resolutions) Its down to you to work out the best balance between functionality and accessabilty. Some sites you may as well go for the flashyness and not bother about people in old browsers on a tiny screen, since they aint who the sites for. Others its best to have a more basic method that will work for more people.

Buts thats just my opinion

Ini
19-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks that explained alot , Ever thught of becoming a writer?:eusa_whis
I think i know how divs etc work , im gunna try muck around on freewebs first before i try to do something big :D
Thanks again :)
Erm.. carried away again?

Lol

--ss--
19-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Erm.. carried away again?

Lol
ermm i aint that stupid:eusa_whis
anyone like my animated .png image :rolleyes:
http://www.freewebs.com/habbo-ss/images/waving.png
http://www.freewebs.com/habbo-ss/images/waving.png

Ini
19-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Link dont work

--ss--
19-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Link dont work
pfft freewebs is down :O

Ini
19-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Works now lmao.

And how did you get png to move?

--ss--
20-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Works now lmao.

And how did you get png to move?
Secret:eusa_whis
I renamed the extension rofl :D

Ewww freewebs down again :S

Ini
20-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Freewebs such a big/popular site

You would never expect it to go down lol

--ss--
20-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Freewebs such a big/popular site

You would never expect it to go down lol
lol before yesterday i have never seen freewebs go down :O

lol @ how oftopic this thread has gone :rolleyes:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!