PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in this script.

Mentor
19-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Just doing a little research. I noticed i haven't actually written any script for release in absolutely ages, and an excuse to make a projects topic would be good also. But before i go ahead, i basicly want to find out if anyons really going to be interested in what ever i produce.

My current idea is: thy-Dictionary. Basically a self contained php/sql user generated dictionary system. You install, users can register, then they and you can add definitions for any word or words you desire. Thus allowing you to create your own, easy to maintain dictionary on your won site.

Features im thinking of:
-Multi-user infrastructure
-Both dedicated and inline moderation systems.
-Unlimited amount of words / definitions.
-Profiles for word submitters.
-Template system for easy skinning
-Mod features such as user an ip banning.
- basic stats such as most popular words, most active users, newest words etc.
-Dictionary listing system, so list of all words can be displayed.

Any other features for the idea would be useful if you have any before i begin work if i do.

Also if you have any better ideas of somthing to create, something more people would want and would be more useful. I want to do somthing thats not already there becuse theres already tones of radio panels and all that sort of stuff :p

Thanks for any feedback :)

Tomm
19-06-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Not saying you can't do it.. but I think Urban Dictionary has all the words you want added.

Mentor
19-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Not saying you can't do it.. but I think Urban Dictionary has all the words you want added.
Urban dictionarys been up years and is a great site yea, but im not trying to compete with it. Urban dictionary is a website, im offering to make a script, which will allow similar functionality on your own site?
By your logic Neowin has a massive forum, so theres no point in any other forums existing. But, people do want the own forums, so there own can have a discussion aria of there own.
This is the same thing, some people want may dictionary system of there own, maybe just for words there friends use, or somthing like that. I wrote a script for that purpose's for my self a while back, so im assuming (i may be wrong) im not the only one who would be interested in that sort of thing.

Hence ive proposed to make a script that'll do all that for people, without the need for em to get there hands direty with code.

Though, if you still think it aint a good idea, a suggestion to somthing people may want more would be much appreciated :)

Oni
Yeh, theres lots around. Why not create your own forum software, id help with the graphical side.

redtom
It would be a good start for a bigger system, EG it could be used not just used as a dictionary, but it could also be used for... well it's hard to explain....

Say there was some sort of game like guildwars, runescape, habbo and so on what had items then it could be used as a type of database of all the items where users could also add/submit info.

EDIT: and I mean used on a fansite not the actaul home of the game.

Mentor
19-06-2007, 04:08 PM
It would be a good start for a bigger system, EG it could be used not just used as a dictionary, but it's could also be used for... well it hard to explain....

Say there was some sort of game like guildwars, runescape, habbo and so on what had items then that could be used as a type of database of all the items where users could also add/submit info.

A wiki systems pretty easy to do, easier in fact than the dictionary lol, though with that people may as well just download wikipedias system itself as ive got no hope with competeing with its functionality.

Yeh, theres lots around. Why not create your own forum software, id help with the graphical side.
Are there? ok, i wasn't aware of that, ive never really seen em, though i suppose in truth ive never really looked.
With forums though isnt there a similar problem, as in the markets saturated with millions of em these days, id rather aim to make somthing that would stand out more and be less run of the mill. Although ive yet to come up with a decent idea.

More suggestions on what to make would be greatly appreciated. (im also looking for something i can put together relatively easy, as some of my bigger pipelined projects like my ajax based isometric game wont be around for a long long time yet.. also its ajaxness is under threat as so far i aint found an ajax solution to the problem, a far easyer one seeming to be just adding in an invisable flash object to handle sever push, so as to poke the js when it needs it.... anyway majorly sidetracked there)

Oni
19-06-2007, 04:14 PM
A wiki systems pretty easy to do, easier in fact than the dictionary lol, though with that people may as well just download wikipedias system itself as ive got no hope with competeing with its functionality.

Are there? ok, i wasn't aware of that, ive never really seen em, though i suppose in truth ive never really looked.
With forums though isnt there a similar problem, as in the markets saturated with millions of em these days, id rather aim to make somthing that would stand out more and be less run of the mill. Although ive yet to come up with a decent idea.

More suggestions on what to make would be greatly appreciated. (im also looking for something i can put together relatively easy, as some of my bigger pipelined projects like my ajax based isometric game wont be around for a long long time yet.. also its ajaxness is under threat as so far i aint found an ajax solution to the problem, a far easyer one seeming to be just adding in an invisable flash object to handle sever push, so as to poke the js when it needs it.... anyway majorly sidetracked there)
Indeed there are many forum softwares but what you have to consider is how many people use them. For example there is little demand for dictonairy scripts and they are rarely used but forum software is commonly used.

Mentor
19-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Indeed there are many forum softwares but what you have to consider is how many people use them. For example there is little demand for dictonairy scripts and they are rarely used but forum software is commonly used.
Being the main supplier for a neash market is often gets much more business than being a minor one for a big market "/

Id much rather find an aria in which no ones really capitalized on yet, then try and fill the void. Its just finding out what people would like... i should have just made a suggest ideas thread "/ then again, few ever them get any ideas other than stupid ones and a few suggestions to make radio panels from what ive read "/

Oni
19-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Being the main supplier for a neash market is often gets much more business than being a minor one for a big market "/

Id much rather find an aria in which no ones really capitalized on yet, then try and fill the void. Its just finding out what people would like... i should have just made a suggest ideas thread "/ then again, few ever them get any ideas other than stupid ones and a few suggestions to make radio panels from what ive read "/
Habbox is where alot of habbo fansite creators go, correct? Everyday we see more being created. If you can create some forum software that is decent, everyone will use it as your respected and thats what people will reccomend, such as im sure most of the forum users use need2upload opposed to imageshack. If you get all of the habbo fansites using it you can expand from there. Usually after creating a fansite they will create a 'real' site.

Mentor
19-06-2007, 04:27 PM
humm, i see where your comeing from, but i really dont have the time to compete with somthing like SMF, phpBB and especally not with the payed for solutions like IP.board / Vbulliten etc. And most habbo sites seem to fetish VB and weening them off it is a bit of a duanting task, especally when i cant really create anything better.

:Edzy
19-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice idea, could be for msn language or html tags too i guess?

craigg.
21-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Carl,

Yes there is a few online dictionary's. The most popular one I have seen so far is: www.urbandictionary.com

**PLEASE NOTE: Urban Dictionary is not appropriate for all audiences.

It's a nice idea, in theory. Keep you're brain flowing with creativity Carl ;)

[Edit] I guess online dictionary's could use www.mediawiki.org as www.wikipedia.org is like an online dictionary.

Kind regards,
Craig Embleton.

Mentor
21-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Well thanks for your inputs athough ive kinda scraped the idea due to lack of peoples interest in it and the fact a number of free scripts already do the same thing.

Though, if any of you do have any other ideas on what script i could possibly make that would be usefull and interesting to a number of people as well as being somthing theres no already a flood of out there, it would be very helpful :)

nets
21-06-2007, 10:43 AM
kinda like.. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cat

iJoe
21-06-2007, 05:43 PM
i would go with the forum idea,

you could sell that easily, make it unique,

There is alot of forum software around but i have never seen one made by a forum user

i suggest going woth the forum, although the dictionary was ok forum is better.

Mentor
21-06-2007, 08:03 PM
kinda like.. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cat

I was probably intending to go far more along the lines of urbandictionary "/

Decode
22-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Yep, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!