PDA

View Full Version : can you drop gcse subjects in year 11? +REP

dirrty
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
im doing 10 gcses atm and im failing economics. my current grade is an E and my target is a C. i havent done any official exams as yet but that E is an average of all my end of topic tests.

this is the only subject im failing at as other subjects im working at A, B and 1 C, and aiming for A*, A and B. so economics is an outlier for me.

I havent asked my economics teacher yet but i have been telling myself, if i fail at any more tests or an official exam, i will ask to drop the subject as what is the point in me doing economics and doing all the hard coursework and exams, just to fail?

so if anyone has had any experience with dropping subjects or know any information, it would help. thanks :)

& +REP for helpful advice.

poll
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
yes you can i went to my head of facilties [sp?] and asked to drop it dont leave it olast minute just say you will spend the time catching up/improovin c/w and they should help you :]

the wombats
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
i did dropped a course / got kicked off it in yr11. i think you will be allowed as long as during that lesson you do work for another lesson somewhere else. talk to your head of yr about it.

dirrty
05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
ok thanks for that :)

,Jess,
05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I tried dropping a subject in year 11 and they basically just didn't let me.
If you feel like you're not doing well in it then you can always try and I guess it's different for indivual people and at different schools :]

dirrty
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I tried dropping a subject in year 11 and they basically just didn't let me.
If you feel like you're not doing well in it then you can always try and I guess it's different for indivual people and at different schools :]
if i do decide to drop a subject, i would first ask my teacher and see what she says. if they wont let me, ill convince my mum to ask them. i wanted to change populations at the beginning of year 10 but they said no. i asked my mum to ask them and they said yes lol.

& i have been trying, just that it doesnt stick in my head. its the only subject im failing so i dont think im doing anything wrong, otherwise i would be failing other subjects. but then tbh, i dont find economics hard as i understand what im being taught. its just that when it comes to end of topic tests, i either forget everything ive been taught or that the questions are to hard for me to understand. i might ask my teacher to give me a bunch of foundation past exams and see how i am on them. if i do bad on them, then there is definetly no reason to carry on with the course imo.

Adam!
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, you can.. Solong as you do something else in them lessons.

Just say you need to catch up in other lessons and can use that lesson to do it..

Thats what my mate in year 11 said, they let her.. I did it this year, they let me.

Pawf
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
As people have said, depending on school policy you may or may not be able to. You always have to be in school though as you are still in compulsory education

Extor
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM
10 gcse's? :S thats a bit much lol
here we only do 8.

dirrty
05-07-2007, 09:50 PM
here we only do 8.
yh 10. doesnt seem much to me tbh, but compared to others, it kinda is.
i do
science - physics, chemistry, biology
english
french
ict
economics
maths
electronics
re

Extor
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
yh 10. doesnt seem much to me tbh, but compared to others, it kinda is.
i do
science - physics, chemistry, biology
english
french
ict
economics
maths
electronics
re

oh lol
wow you do 3 sciences :S
the max u can do here is 2 lol

Pawf
05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I did 13 :s

Nightrose
05-07-2007, 10:26 PM
yeah you can
its only like if your failing it real bad.
But its to do with your school to

Axel
05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I wanna swap Spanish for Art but I think it's a bit late.. I'm gonna fail Spanish.

Lozzoling
06-07-2007, 06:16 PM
here we only do 8.

i think im doing 10 or 11 next year.

Energizer
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
A few people in my year have dropped lessons but they have to do something else like helping at the primary school during them lessons. You have to speak to the head of year though.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!