PDA

View Full Version : New to layouts

Gangster
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm new to layouts and coding and slicing and all that. SO im wondering how does coding and slicing a layout change how it looks? Does anyone have a layout how it locks uncoded and unsliced and the same layout coded and sliced? Someone please help me ty

Moved by opensourcehost (Forum Moderator) from Web Market: Please post in the correct forum next time, thanks :).

I3rap
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Slicing the layout means you'll be coding it, useally, using tables in my knowage. Slicing is when you cut up the whole layout into smaller bits to impove the loading speed of the web page.

The best combonation is the Photoshop CS3 package as it comes with Image-Ready I belive which can slice for you.

Aflux
07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Slicing the layout means you'll be coding it, useally, using tables in my knowage. Slicing is when you cut up the whole layout into smaller bits to impove the loading speed of the web page.

The best combonation is the Photoshop CS3 package as it comes with Image-Ready I belive which can slice for you.
Please turn off your PC and sit in the rocking chair in the corner of your room.

TABLES ARE FOR TABULAR DATA.

People who use them to code layouts are morons and need shooting.

Oni
07-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Please turn off your PC and sit in the rocking chair in the corner of your room.

TABLES ARE FOR TABULAR DATA.

People who use them to code layouts are morons and need shooting.
Its easy and it works so why not?

Aflux
07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Its easy and it works so why not?
Because of the second paragraph in my post and web standards need to be complied to.

Oni
07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Because of the second paragraph in my post and web standards need to be complied to.
Why? Its like you dislikeing flash, theres no reason for it. If they look at work the same why should it matter?

Aflux
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Why? Its like you dislikeing flash, theres no reason for it. If they look at work the same why should it matter?
No, there's a bloody good reason why I don't like Flash, and that's because I don't. I'm allowed an opinion and if you don't even have the decency to respect someone's opinion then you don't deserve a place on this planet.

Tables are for tabular data, hence the name - tabular, table. Am I going to fast for you?

I dare you, I dare you to go on a forum that's not full of pre-pubescent squeaky teens and ask real web developers what's wrong with tables. Believe me, you'd get smited to hell and back as it's not their use - their use is to hold tabular data.

Oni
07-07-2007, 08:40 PM
No, there's a bloody good reason why I don't like Flash, and that's because I don't. I'm allowed an opinion and if you don't even have the decency to respect someone's opinion then you don't deserve a place on this planet.

Tables are for tabular data, hence the name - tabular, table. Am I going to fast for you?

I dare you, I dare you to go on a forum that's not full of pre-pubescent squeaky teens and ask real web developers what's wrong with tables. Believe me, you'd get smited to hell and back as it's not their use - their use is to hold tabular data.
Ok say you dislike the errrr wii thats fair enough because you may not like the games etc, but theres no difference in looks between a static flash site and a html site apart from flash loads at once and html in bits.

Aflux
08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Ok say you dislike the errrr wii thats fair enough because you may not like the games etc, but theres no difference in looks between a static flash site and a html site apart from flash loads at once and html in bits.
I see you had nothing to say on my point on tables and tabular data.

In my opinion, I do not like Flash sites.

Oni
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
In my opinion, I do not like Flash sites.
Its like me saying I dont like html, but its stupid as theres nothing actually wrong with it.

Aflux
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Its like me saying I dont like html, but its stupid as theres nothing actually wrong with it.
But that's your opinion and I respect that.

How is that so hard to understand?

Anyway, without HTML Flash websites wouldn't exist.

Replicada
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
There is truly nothing wrong with tabular layouts, as the post above states it is meerly standards for CSS and XHTML that should be the prefered coding style.

The main reason behind it, is Loading speeds.

A CSS file can be saved in the cache of a browser, hence promotes a crisper load speed.

Overall, corporate designers still use tabular layout choices, however in competition to loading speed, layering,co-ordination,readability, functionability, colour co-ordination and file size - CSS and XHTML defeat Tables.

Gooluck with whatever you choose, my advice would be to watch some CSS tutorial files on youtube or similar upload site.

I learned msot of my coding knowledge through visual tutorials.

Dan

Aflux
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Overall, corporate designers still use tabular layout choices

I can prove you heavily wrong on that.

www.steinruckdesign.com
They use divs for their site and for the clients' sites.

That's just one of the many, well, most designers that use divs as opposed to the improper use of tables.

http://www.allthingsweb2.com/TOP_100_Top_Rated_Web_2.0/

That's just a list of many sites that are coded in divs.

redtom
08-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Tables are made to show data, not made for layouts.

CSS & XHTML is for layouts and styling, it loads faster, no spacers, and is better in every way, it's also an easyer thing to read.

Aflux
08-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Tables are made to show data, not made for layouts.

CSS & XHTML is for layouts and styling, it loads faster, no spacers, and is better in every way, it's also an easyer thing to read.
Thank you.

Someone with knowledge of the web.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!