PDA

View Full Version : Rastafari

RunescapeWorker
08-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I believe in the rastafari culture, let me give ya a little bit of background knowlege from the culture..

The Rastafarian religion originated in Africa. It is often associated with the poorer black population of Jamaica. It is not just a religion, but a way of life. Rastafarians speak out against; poverty, oppression and inequality.....not just religious ideas but global problems. Rastafarians will use the Holy Piby, the Kebra Nagast and the Bible (interpreted with a Rasta soul) for guidance.
The prime basic belief of the Rastafarians is that Haile Sellassie is the living God for the black race. Sellassie, whose previous name was Ras Tafari, was the black Emperor of Ethiopia. Rastafarians say scriptures prophesised him as the one with "the hair of whose head was like wool (the matted hair of I black man), whose feet were like unto burning brass (I black skin)".

Haile Sellassie was reported dead, Rastas do not believe it. They believe it was a trick of the media to try and bring their faith down. Rastafarians believe that Haile Sellassie I has trodded on to the perfect flesh, and sits on the highest point of Mount Zion where He and Empress Menen await the time of judgment.
The Lion of Judah represents Haile Sellassie, the Conqueror. It represents the King of Kings as a lion is the king of all beasts. Sellassie wore a Lion of Judah ring that was given to Bob Marley at the time of Sellassie's reported death.
Babylon is the Rastafarian term for the white political power structure that has been holding the black race down for centuries. In the past, Rasta see that blacks were held down physically by the shackles of slavery. In the present, Rasta feel that blacks are still held down through poverty, illiteracy, inequality, and trickery by the white man. One of the more obvious symbols of the Rastafarians are colours. These are red, gold, and green. The colour red stands for the Church Triumphant which is the church of the Rastas. It also symbolises the blood that martyrs have shed in the history of the Rastas. The yellow represents the wealth of the homeland. Green represents the beauty and vegetation of Ethiopia, the promised land. Sometimes black is used to represent the colour of Africans, to whom 98% of the Jamaicans are descended

Ganja, is used for religious purposes for Rastafarians. The use of this herb is extensive among the Rastas not only for spiritual purposes as in their Nyabingi celebration, but also for medicinal purposes. The dreadlocks on a Rasta's head are symbolic of the Lion of Judah. Here is a short list of some important dates;
23rd July - celebration of the birth of Tafari Makonnen (Haile Sellassie)
17th August - Birth of Marcus Garvey
27th August - The reported death of Haile Sellassie I........a celebration that he lives on within our spirits.
11 September - Ethiopian new year
2nd November - Anniversary of the crowning of Ras Tafari Makonnen - Emperor Haile Sellassie I Power of the Holy Trinity, Two Hundred and twenty-fifth Emperor of the Solomonic Dynasty, Elect of god, Lord of lords, Negus Negast kings of kings, Conquering lion of the tribe of Judah )

HabboIsKrouts
08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Is this some kind of a joke...

RunescapeWorker
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Uh no, how about you stop being such a pleb. Be more open minded

Browney
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I think Rastafari is much more than meets the eye. Say "rastafarians" to a typical person of the public and they'll probably think of Bob Marley and black people smoking weed. But as you can see from reading that article there's so much more to it. So much more deep and spiritual than just getting high from weed. Thanks for posting that. +Rep.

Dan2nd
08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
wow I never knew any of that thanks for posting it! + rep

RunescapeWorker
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Np guys, just wanted to show there is more than meets the eye

Wow,I never knew that, Do rasta's goto the ghetto and stuff? and like did the africans go to jamaica because of the black people of americas slave trade thing and why is ganga cultural in your religon?

RunescapeWorker
08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Didn't understand your first question, but your second one I can answer

We believe smoking Ganja is a way to bring us closer to Jah, it makes us calm, submissive, open to anything, you really learn more about yourself, and in general have a good experience while Ganja does it's job, though, Ganja should not be seen as a must, rasta is an open religion, You don't need to do much, but see the bigger picture, love, peace and equality is what matters.

Think about it, if in the rastafarian culture there was no Ganja, no Reggae and no dreadlocks, would you still want to be a rasta?

Jambe
10-07-2007, 12:34 PM
:oo i dont understand

RunescapeWorker
10-07-2007, 02:29 PM
^^ stupid pointless spam, obvioisly no one can make it clearer for you scott, you just can't be bothered to type anything to get your post count up, you've spammed this whole board anyway.. either you ask a good question, or you don't post at all

Frodo13.
10-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Very interesting knowing the beliefs and insides of it all. Not wanting to sound dis-respectful, but am I right in saying its a made-up religion?

Not trying to put down your religion, as I personally belived all Religions are simply just diffrent ways of finding God.

lAdmire
10-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't think the Rastafarian cultue is a religion, more a way someone choose's to live, a way of life. Much like the Amish, they choose to use no electricity, etc. Also, doing 'ganja',imo, is not right. It's an illegal drug. It's marijuana. Umm... some of their beliefs are inadequate.

I'm half Jamaican && I know like about Rastafarians && I know one from Jamaica, but I don't believe their religion is giving the right message to young children in Jamaica.

Umm... the only thing I do agree with is them speaking out on certain topics that affect different people across the world. I think maybe they could be the one's to change the things that is wrong with the world. But... umm... yeah.

So that's just how I feel. && everyone has a different opinion on this, some believe it, some don't. We're all different. I'm just trying to say don't disect my opinion, because we all don't think the same.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!