View Full Version : Thybag 6 layout alpha - need C&C

Mentor
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Ok this is my first full draft of my thybag 6 design, i may change it quite substantially, but first id like to hear what people think so far?

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3884/thy63ra6.jpg

What parts work? what parts dont? any changes, modifications, alterations you would suggest? Is it missing somthing? etc etc. Any critisims will be appreasated as well as ideas etc etc etc.

Thanks for any feedback :)

Splinter
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Dont like the alert colour.

Oni
09-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Its a nice layout BUT Thybag is a computer site so it should have the latest style of layouts? In my opinion it should be a nice clean layout opposed to that which is quite pixely?

Colin-Roberts
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
the current style of content boxes i like so much better then plain white.

Mentor
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Dont like the alert colour.
Could u suggest an alternative?

Its a nice layout BUT Thybag is a computer site so it should have the latest style of layouts? In my opinion it should be a nice clean layout opposed to that which is quite pixely?
Personaly im not a massive fan of "clean" layouts since they all have a tendency to look the same as each other, ive always aimed for thybag to be more on the alternative and different side, so i dont really want the layout to appear as just another generic web 2.0 styled site "/

the current style of content boxes i like so much better then plain white.
You mean in terms of colour or that they form seperate modules, since im not really sure how i can combine the two "/

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

Tomm
09-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Don't really think the black and greyish color go well together.

Colin-Roberts
09-07-2007, 04:30 PM
i meant in like the shape with the border all the way around

Mashi
09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I like it but the colour of the greys and blacks needs to be changed.

Oni
09-07-2007, 04:40 PM
To be honest I like it all apart from the top 'banner' area for the following reasons:

The blue banner doesnt go
The register 'button' looks completely out of place
The login button doesnt fit the style

Mentor
09-07-2007, 05:00 PM
To be honest I like it all apart from the top 'banner' area for the following reasons:

The blue banner doesnt go
The register 'button' looks completely out of place
The login button doesnt fit the style

Thats pretty good feedback, as the register login bit isnt really part of the layout, its a copy of the current thybags i used to judge the sizes :p

Also ive redone the header, although im not sure i like it or not yet. Plus is there a colour you would suggest instead of blue?

http://uploadz.co.uk/53thy6-3-2.jpg
*note the alien is just a place holder im planning to do him in full flash for the final site, the banner background will probabaly change from just a lense flair as well.

i meant in like the shape with the border all the way around
humm well in the previous layouts that actualy took up alot of space, in this one i wanted to give more room to the content so it would work better for smaller browsers resolutions etc, plus load somewhat faster :P

As to people commenting on the colours, i really would like to stick the the silver/blank colour skeme as a whole as its kind whats identified with the site "/ If anyone has any suggestions on minor changes in the colours though to a better sliver/ black gradiants etc, id be happy to take a look though "/

redtom
09-07-2007, 05:10 PM
My thoughts;

Body - Fine
Background - Fine
Box Headers - Fine
Alert - Fine

Box Bodys - Need work, don't keep them that white
Search Area - Needs cleaning up
Banner Text - Too Retro

Also make your own submit button to go with the layout and use that.

Mentor
09-07-2007, 05:28 PM
My thoughts;

Body - Fine
Background - Fine
Box Headers - Fine
Alert - Fine

Box Bodys - Need work, don't keep them that white
Search Area - Needs cleaning up
Banner Text - Too Retro

Also make your own submit button to go with the layout and use that.

Thanks, thats a useful list. Im still not really sure what banner font to use though? do you have any you can suggest.

Aslo does anyone know how to get nice curves (say to clean up my search box) without haveing to create a new anti-allised rounded rectange? *im a noob at this*

Also in this version, do u think the content boxs are too white or not white enough plus im not really sure what to do with login bit ether? any suggestions apperasted.
http://uploadz.co.uk/820thy6-3-3.jpg

Oni
09-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks, thats a useful list. Im still not really sure what banner font to use though? do you have any you can suggest.

Aslo does anyone know how to get nice curves (say to clean up my search box) without haveing to create a new anti-allised rounded rectange? *im a noob at this*

Also in this version, do u think the content boxs are too white or not white enough plus im not really sure what to do with login bit ether? any suggestions apperasted.
http://uploadz.co.uk/820thy6-3-3.jpg
Nicer but the register and login buttons are abit too plain

Colin-Roberts
09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
the banner in the new one rules

Sygon..
09-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I really like this it has great potential, change the forms they look ugly & search bar & the scan lines

Mentor
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I really like this it has great potential, change the forms they look ugly & search bar & the scan lines
Do you know any sites wich use less ugly looking text boxs etc? as it would be useful to see some examples of what you mean :)

Thanks for the feedback though :)

Mr Macro
09-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I really like it, i think the content boxes are too bright try darkening them down a tad.

Mentor
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback, ive taken some of the advice, plus added the footer and a bit of dummy content?

http://uploadz.co.uk/189thy6-3-4.jpg
What do ya all think?

Scania
09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
i love it, 9/10 wd!

Mr Macro
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, that looks alot better with content, REP+

Mario
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
i think the register should be a button like the login and the text used is weird, it has uneven spaces inbetween it.

Scania
09-07-2007, 08:00 PM
+rep also

Mentor
09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
i think the register should be a button like the login and the text used is weird, it has uneven spaces inbetween it.
i suspect you may be looking at an older version since both have graphical buttons now, http://uploadz.co.uk/189thy6-3-4.jpg is my most up to date.

I dont really have an explination for the weired writeing spaceing, it seems to be somthing that happens when u write text in photoshop. It'll be normal when i add it as text to the proper layout though so it isnt a big issue.

Thanks for the C&C though :)

Thanks to Diageo as well

Rix
10-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I like it looks great with the content added

Sam
10-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Hmm its looking fantastic Carl, your graphic skills have really improved!

My only main issue with the layout is Fonts Lol.

I have no idea why but the fonts you use really dont appeal to me. Like the font in the buttons, (Login Etc) and above content areas (Navigation etc). They just seem so .. Plain and boring if you get where im coming from ? Aside that, i think that the Border around the banner should be 1 or 2 px thinner.

Keep up the good work!

9/10

;)

:Edzy
10-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats pretty good feedback, as the register login bit isnt really part of the layout, its a copy of the current thybags i used to judge the sizes :p

Also ive redone the header, although im not sure i like it or not yet. Plus is there a colour you would suggest instead of blue?

*note the alien is just a place holder im planning to do him in full flash for the final site, the banner background will probabaly change from just a lense flair as well.

humm well in the previous layouts that actualy took up alot of space, in this one i wanted to give more room to the content so it would work better for smaller browsers resolutions etc, plus load somewhat faster :P

As to people commenting on the colours, i really would like to stick the the silver/blank colour skeme as a whole as its kind whats identified with the site "/ If anyone has any suggestions on minor changes in the colours though to a better sliver/ black gradiants etc, id be happy to take a look though "/
love it exept everything is smooth except the corners on the search

Jahova
10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Great layout.
The search needs to be rounded.

9/10

- Tom

Mentor
10-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Does anyone actualy know how to round it though, since ive so far been unable to find a way to do it, since applieing a gradiant appears to remove the anti-alliasing?

Dentafrice,
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Don't use Times New Roman, gotta break that habbit carl.

Anyways, it looks awesome.

Mentor
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Don't use Times New Roman, gotta break that habbit carl.

Anyways, it looks awesome.

o.0 times new roman isnt used anyware on the layout? its all veranda

Dentafrice,
10-07-2007, 10:24 PM
:o

I just saw this one when scrolling down and thought you reverted to using that

Mentor
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
:o

I just saw this one when scrolling down and thought you reverted to using that

http://uploadz.co.uk/189thy6-3-4.jpg is the most up to date version i have an image online of "/

Dentafrice,
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I love it,

shoutbox's shouts should have seperators though

Sam
11-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Tahoma might be a better font. Find something thats not too 'plain'

Blob
11-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Use Trebuchet MS, size 12px

com-bat
11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Since Your a pretty well respected web programmer I decided to give you a
detailed C&C on your website layout in a way that will hopefully help :)

Firstly , I think I understand how you personally design websites ( Plan the
code involved / pen and paper , code it then slap the graphics on ? )
And I share the same " Philosophy " as you when it comes to making
functional websites.

I really like the placement of features on the website which I assume you
code for usability but it lacks one thing. Graphical quality, in other words
following modern styles for example I'd sugest removing the boxes around
all the content areas which gives some added flexabilty and a big way to
improve would be to keep to at most 2 styles of fonts i.e Veranda bold
for banners and Veranda normal for non graphical texts. Again I'd also
like to sudgest that instead of being a linear website as greatly opposed to
a stripe in a sense where the bottem of the page touches the bottem and
the top touches the top so theres not just one box with more boxes inside.

Otherwise I think you know pretty well without me telling you how its gonna
work and at the end of the day its up to you how you decided to present
your site but thats just my 2pence

thanks com :) good luck

Rix
11-07-2007, 11:24 PM
is it me or is writeing spelt wrong?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!