PDA

View Full Version : Not so smoke free Britain

Dan2nd
11-07-2007, 08:23 PM
People are still lighting up in Stoke-on-Trent's pubs after a bureaucratic mistake over the ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces.
On-the-spot fines cannot yet be issued to smokers flouting the 1 July ban because of "late changes in technical bits of legislation", the council said.

Landlord Dax Robateau has put cheeky "Welcome to Smoke-on-Trent" posters in The Smithfield pub in Hanley

The authority said it would be able to issue fines from 16 July.

It said it was still able to take action against pubs or clubs where people were smoking and would be able to take retrospective action against any smokers caught flouting the ban.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42491000/jpg/_42491504_daxrobateau_two203.jpg

'Bit miffed'

A spokesman said: "People are obliged to comply with a speeding restriction, regardless if there's a police speed gun nearby.

"The whole government advice and council advice is to advise and educate people in the early days.

"(But) they can still be reported and action can still be taken against them."

Pam Rowland is still enforcing the smoking ban in the Greyhound Inn

Mr Robateau said: "I found out about the loophole when it was in the local paper yesterday and I was just a bit miffed.

"I checked it out and found out it was true so I thought we might as well tell people that the law wasn't enforceable."

But one publican said she did not believe the council would implement the ban retrospectively.

Pam Rowland, landlady of the Greyhound Inn, in Penkhull, said: "It's sort of fun to flout the law and I don't think the council will do much about it because at the end of the day it's their mistake."

She added that she was still enforcing the ban and that most pubs were doing the same thing.

"I think most people are actually sticking with it. It could only happen in Stoke."

The council said the mistake was due to its belief that the city's elected mayor Mark Meredith had the power to delegate the authorisation of the ban to his director of community services.

It said late legal changes meant it realised too late that it would have to be enforced by the licensing and consumer protection committee instead.

It said the committee would delegate powers for officers to issue on-the-spot fines at a meeting on Monday.

The Goverment mess up again :rolleyes:

-:Undertaker:-
11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't think it should be banned, if you go to a pub what do you expect? SMOKE AND THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL !

Yet again the Greenpeace lobby has won.

Mexel
11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think it should be banned, if you go to a pub what do you expect? SMOKE AND THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL !

Most pubs smell of old people now lol.

Anyway loads of tourists are on there way to Stoke this weekend its being said and bar takings will go up loads lol.

GommeInc
11-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Apparently most pubs in my area now smell of sick and alcohol "/

Besides, no pub is smoke free, considering you can still smoke outside under a gazebo "/

VPSwow
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I found out that a bus shelter is also counted i was having a cig and a passerby said put that out or im ringing the police and then later on that day they put a no smoking sticker on the shelter.

Concentric2
11-07-2007, 09:58 PM

In my opinion that's a silly arguement - it's like people saying at the time of the abolition of slavery "when you go into the fields you expect to see foreigners in chains working for very little".

I found out that a bus shelter is also counted i was having a cig and a passerby said put that out or im ringing the police and then later on that day they put a no smoking sticker on the shelter.
I think it depends on the kind of shelter - for it to count as an enclosed space it must be at least 50% "walled in", if that makes sense.

tularis
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
As a smoker, I think it's a load of bobba.

This is my reasons why:

- The tax is so high on a pack of cigs anyway. If I want to smoke it costs me nearly £5.00 a packet.
- Now I can only really smoke in my or someone elses house.
- If I want to smoke, then I smoke. Now people are telling me when and where to smoke.
- It's like saying "you eat sweets, go over there and eat sweets or im reporting you".
- My girlfriend doesn't smoke, if we go out I have to find somewhere to smoke. It makes couples like this unsociable.
- Cigarettes are biodegradable. That means if I drop it on the floor, it will disolve anyway.

- I don't mind the smell of smoke and alchohol. At least it takes the smell away from everyone who has wet themselves. Through drinking too much.

Felt I had to put in my two cents.

GommeInc
11-07-2007, 11:12 PM

This is my reasons why:

- The tax is so high on a pack of cigs anyway. If I want to smoke it costs me nearly £5.00 a packet.
- If I want to smoke, then I smoke. Now people are telling me when and where to smoke.
- It's like saying "you eat sweets, go over there and eat sweets or im reporting you".
- My girlfriend doesn't smoke, if we go out I have to find somewhere to smoke. It makes couples like this unsociable.
- Cigarettes are biodegradable. That means if I drop it on the floor, it will disolve anyway.

- I don't mind the smell of smoke and alchohol. At least it takes the smell away from everyone who has wet themselves. Through drinking too much.

- That means little to the central argument, what you pay means nothing. Health is the issue.
- That's the whole point of it. To keep you out of public spaces and harming others, let alone making them and the area around you smell disgusting...
- Wow, that's slightly snobbish. And again, the point of the ban is so you don't smoke in public. I am amazed people are being vigilant and telling smokers what to do.
- Sweets don't harm peoples health as much, nor do they make people smell or cause discomfort in pubs. Granted they now all smell of puke and old people.
- Hey, your relationship, or your cigarettes, what do you love more? I would quit. Because you would be healthier and wouldn't be frowned upon but total strangers.
- They don't 'dissolve' quickly. It will take over 10 years for the butt to dissolve away, then you have the issue of the tobacco and the paper around it. Also, using the sweets example, some rain will dissolve them away in no time.

Baving
12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the ban is silly, there are so many smokers and not enough people to regulate it

BellyButtons
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I think the ban is silly, there are so many smokers and not enough people to regulate it

One person can control a million, people are powerless.

I don't understand why people smoke/drink. It's silly, why not just point a gun at your head and pull the trigger? Its basically the same as poisoning yourself.

Dj_dude007
13-07-2007, 03:48 PM
As a smoker, I think the ban is ridulously pointless. We are supposed to live in a 'free country' however the rules and regulations are now proving that we do not.

One thing that I don't agree with, is smoking in a pub/restaurant when people are eating which is fair enough, however before the ban, places had designated areas for smokers which worked fine.

People will soon begin to realise that the ban is annoying when their taxes goes up. I can't wait for that.

-:Undertaker:-
13-07-2007, 03:58 PM
In my opinion that's a silly arguement - it's like people saying at the time of the abolition of slavery "when you go into the fields you expect to see foreigners in chains working for very little".

I think it depends on the kind of shelter - for it to count as an enclosed space it must be at least 50% "walled in", if that makes sense.

For the last 100 years people have smoked and drank in pubs, thus if you walk into a pub what do you expect?

One person can control a million, people are powerless.

I don't understand why people smoke/drink. It's silly, why not just point a gun at your head and pull the trigger? Its basically the same as poisoning yourself.

Not really, crime is rising here and 10 years of Labour hasn't solved anything.

People drink and smoke for fun and for the social side, I think it should be allowed, you could say things like McDonalds and other foods are poisening us.

Paulio
14-07-2007, 02:45 AM

Why should people who don't smoke have to put up with others smoking around them and increasing their chances of second hand smoke related illnesses? :P

---MAD---
14-07-2007, 03:54 AM

This is my reasons why:

Yes but others hate the smell of cigs. If its that important to you to be near your GF at all times, don't smoke? Simple as :P. You can smoke when you get back home for example.

As a smoker, I think the ban is ridulously pointless. We are supposed to live in a 'free country' however the rules and regulations are now proving that we do not.

One thing that I don't agree with, is smoking in a pub/restaurant when people are eating which is fair enough, however before the ban, places had designated areas for smokers which worked fine.

People will soon begin to realise that the ban is annoying when their taxes goes up. I can't wait for that.
There is always a limit to being "free". You cannot travel any where without certain documents. You can't kill anyone you like. You have to pay fines. You have to pay bills. You have to work to earn a good living. You have to you have to you have to.

The list goes on.

Just add at the bottom "You have to be outside or in an open area to smoke".

:Liam
18-07-2007, 10:20 PM
to be honest, I think its a good idea, I personally hate the smell of smoke and im asthamatic and when I inhale smoke my asthama gets bad. But if someone cant last a night in a pub or resturant without smoking, it prooves they have hardly any self control. its fine to harm yourself but theres no point harming others around aswell.

Mexel
18-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Why should people who don't smoke have to put up with others smoking around them and increasing their chances of second hand smoke related illnesses? :P

Well to be honest, to people it looks like the NHS do loads for people to give up smoking, but they dont. There offering out free patches but if they have a illness there starting to turn down heavy smokers. In some cases i dont blame them if they have being warned. But the government make about £5,000,000 a day from smokers. Bare that in mind.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!