PDA

View Full Version : Mac VS Windows - [Closes 13/08/07]

---MAD---
13-07-2007, 12:23 AM
A very popular debate that most PC related topics turn into. Which is better, the Mac or Windows and why? Who the innovator?

Happy debating!

Clouud
13-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Never used Mac myself, but Windows is honestly the worst program you could possibly have. Computers aren't supposed to crash, it's just windows. It annoys me to the limit tbh :P.
Linux ftw.

Pitch
13-07-2007, 12:16 PM
To even suggest windows is the better software is ridiculous.

First, check out the windows search results on virus, here (http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=virus), and then the apple search results on virus here (http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-searchpre11.pl?q=virus&restrict=us_only&site=us_only&lr=lang_en&access=p&oe=utf8). You might also notice the first few pages of the apple results are about movies people have made..
Then there is the constant crashing.. The ridiculously over-rated VISTA (which I use) is vile. Not only is it clearly not finished, it is slow, full of bugs and has little if any feature-wise improvement on XP, its just displayed differently.

Also, many people dont realise but Apple originally created windows. Want to know why they arent using windows? They rejected it as too insecure, and sold it to bill gates and co for a ridiculously small amount (compared to the amount of money theyd invested creating it).

There are two reasons why microsoft are popular: its cheaper than apple by about 50%, and microsoft owned majority shares in the first companies to create software, so of course their software would be "suited" to windows (even though ive tried "windows only" software on my uncles mac, and it works better than on my vista laptop and xp desktop).

There can be no case for microsoft being better, I'll end with a little quote someone somewhere once said (not word for word):

Microsoft did nothing but speed up the age of computers, much like a fatal injection would speed up the death of a convict. You may all reap the benefits now, but one day you will regret going to such an insecure and unstable way of working.

Pawf
13-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Also, many people dont realise but Apple originally created windows. Want to know why they arent using windows? They rejected it as too insecure, and sold it to bill gates and co for a ridiculously small amount (compared to the amount of money theyd invested creating it).

I was under the impression that Gates was invited to work on software for the Mac as Jobs knew Microsoft was strong in that area. Gates then stole the idea and released a hella buggy first Windows before Apple had a chance to finish.

I think it's ironic how people say Apple "stole ideas from Vista and implemented them sooner" when Microsoft stole an entire operating system and did the same thing.

Also Microsoft didn't even write DOS, they got it off a friend or something :S

Mentor
13-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Ah this threads already amuseing...

Pitch:

Im sure the fact windows have nearly 95% of the computer market share has nothing to do with the reason most virus makers target windows, nore that it hints that people may actualy prefer windows... but maybe, just maybe... it kinda does.

Secondly if you want to talk about who stoles whos O/S maybe you should concider xerox. You see, they made this O/S for the xerox star, although a company named apple, actualy stole then Entire o/s rebranded it and releacecd it as there own.
Xerox though waited to long to sue so were unable to when they finaly did.

Strange how apple users seem to forget the entire apple O/S was ripped from xerox isnt it...

Also, i find it strange how apple users always go on about how jobs made mac without borrowing anything, then start boasting how mac is a *nix based Operating system (well technicaly not, but close)...

Pawf
13-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Secondly if you want to talk about who stoles whos O/S maybe you should concider xerox. You see, they made this O/S for the xerox star, although a company named apple, actualy stole then Entire o/s rebranded it and releacecd it as there own.
Xerox though waited to long to sue so were unable to when they finaly did.

Strange how apple users seem to forget the entire apple O/S was ripped from xerox isnt it...

No, Jobs bought the ideas of GUI from Xerox for an immorally low price as they were only doing it as a hobby. When they saw that it was popular they decided to sue and, rightly, lost.

DiscoPat
13-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, as Windows has most the market, its a biger target for virus's etc, where as Mac's are way lower in numbers than Windows so people cba to make virus's for them..

alexxxxx
13-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, personally, I like both, but, naturally, windows needs looking after more for virus' and vulnerabiliities that are exploited. Mac's aren't innovative, but they are smoother, and in my opinion easier to work with than PCs. Though PCs are more compatible and VISTA is very good, not quite as good as OS X imo, but very close. It runs smoothly too, but often i find things don't work as they should, like the sidebar crashed on start up the other day and the security popup keeps on bugging me. However, it's integration feels much better than OSX.

GommeInc
13-07-2007, 09:50 PM
This argument is old and dry. It's a bit late to make a debate on it anyway "/

Windows have most of the original ideas, Mac copy most of their ideas and just rebrand them "/ Creative tech was stolen by Apple for the iPod, Apple stole alot of ideas and infact the whole O/S from Xerox (most the sources I have come across say copied/stolen as opposed to bought) and even if they did buy, it isn't really their idea anyway?

PCs don't crash by themselves, you need a user to do it, and one who cannot install things properly.

The Vista vs. OSX debate is boring and dry, and is ridden with 'Mac lovers' who are so incredibly brainwashed thinking it is the best system, when both systems are good, but Vista, once SP1 comes out, would be alot powerful. Macs have the upper hand because their programs and software are made by themselves, Vista relies on software companies and therefore has no control over them. Even though the software companies are alot better at making programs than Mac Software makers. iLife is aload of crap compared to what I consider pros. I don't even know why Apple thinks people always make albums "/ That seems to be their selling point at the moment.

I have gone through this many a time, I get bored of discussing it.

alexxxxx
13-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Windows have most of the original ideas, Mac copy most of their ideas and just rebrand them "/

kinda untrue. windows sidebar is just like the dashboard, which came out before VISTA. there was probably some linux equiv before that but eh. the search thing (spotlight on mac) was out first on a mac, probably earlier on a linux system again.

And my sidebar crashed without me installing anything to the computer (bar MSN + OpenOffice), or even adding anything to sidebar. So unless my VISTA was installed wrong by Packard-Bell, then saying that it crashes because its my fault is incorrect.

Windows is as good as mac though imo.

GommeInc
13-07-2007, 09:56 PM
;3706354']kinda untrue. windows sidebar is just like the dashboard, which came out before VISTA. there was probably some linux equiv before that but eh. the search thing (spotlight on mac) was out first on a mac, probably earlier on a linux system again.

And my sidebar crashed without me installing anything to the computer (bar MSN + OpenOffice), or even adding anything to sidebar. So unless my VISTA was installed wrong by Packard-Bell, then saying that it crashes because its my fault is incorrect.
Ah I just realised the mistake. The 'their' meant Mac, not Windows. Most of their i.e. Mac copy most of their ideas and rebrand. I think I read somewhere that Windows had sidebars etc in their very early system. I can't remember the exact name, I shall have a look now for it.

Hmmmm, weird error. Does it work now? It's very rare to have that sort of error.

Mentor
13-07-2007, 10:27 PM
;3706354']kinda untrue. windows sidebar is just like the dashboard, which came out before VISTA. there was probably some linux equiv before that but eh. the search thing (spotlight on mac) was out first on a mac, probably earlier on a linux system again.

Windows is as good as mac though imo.
I believe the original dashboard side bar and widgets stuff was actually an application rather than part of any O/S, i cant actually remember which "application it was though as i cant get konfabilator out of my head, which could be the one, although equally may not "/

Also its not really unexpected for there to be issues with vista, all that can really be done is just wait for sp1 etc which with luck will patch alot of these inital problems "/

O/S wize id have to agree mac and windows are pretty much equal, my main issue with macs etc is really just the way jobs and apple itself act, in the blatent lies on there ads and constant attacks on other O/s's "/

Alos it is true one of the very early windows o/s's probably 2 or 3 did indeed feature a basic side bar, although it isnt really comparable to what around today

No, Jobs bought the ideas of GUI from Xerox for an immorally low price as they were only doing it as a hobby. When they saw that it was popular they decided to sue and, rightly, lost.
That never happened ....

"In 1990, Xerox filed a lawsuit against Apple; however, it was thrown out because a three year statute of limitations had already passed."

Granted windows equaly plaguased the stars O/S, although unlike apple they didnt outright steal the thing.

The problems are mainly caused becuse of the anti-trust action at the time which stoped many of the stars patents going through. (mouses, graphica user interface, windows, icons, WYSIWYG functionaly.. etc etc)

Pawf
13-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I believe the original dashboard side bar and widgets stuff was actually an application rather than part of any O/S, i cant actually remember which "application it was though as i cant get konfabilator out of my head, which could be the one, although equally may not "/

Earliest "dashboard": http://www.folklore.org/projects/Macintosh/images/desk_accessories.gif

More evidence of Apple's claim to sidebar:
http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/os221/od_fold.gif

Granted windows equaly plaguased the stars O/S, although unlike apple they didnt outright steal the thing.

The story I heard is that Windows stole the OS from Apple (ironic but still wrong) and released it before Apple had chance. Also they bought DOS off a friend which removes the credibility of the claims to fame.

I agree with the person above who said that Apple's strong point is that they are the main company who produces their hardware and software and their weak point is Steve Job's attitude.

Gomme is right though, this argument is old and outdated and most people have given up OS-bashing. I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer to the question as to which is better. I use XP, Vista, Red Hat Linux and OS X and find OS X to be better.

Oh and I'm not a brainwashed fanboy, just a fanboy :P

HotelUser
14-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Gates worked for Jobs and probably took his own ideas to Microsoft, if there is so much stealing going on, why do Gates and Jobs get along so well.

Macs are OK but they have big problems which prevent me from using them,

The first is the mouse, it doesn't feel right in my hand, I can probably get mice from other places to use but it's just not that great.

Compatibility is the second, Macs are not very compatible with some software out there. Windows is more popular so there is lots of good software out there but for a mac I don't seem to find much.

The look is the third. Windows Vista looks fantastic! Great Aero style, macs are white, ee... I don't find it very user friendly.

People who say There are viruses for windows and not as many for macs are just insulting macs by saying they are not popular, windows has viruses because it's popular, and if you have vista it's not a problem because even the basic edition comes with Windows OneCare which is a virus protection tool.

If you are getting errors on windows it's your own fault, you can't just go on the internet and download crap then hope that your system functions good, I've seen people download Kazaa, Bonzi Buddy, Net Nanny and other programs that are viruses then complain that their computer does not function, smarten up ;)

If vista is so "bad" why did it sell more than XP did in the first month it was out?

I think it's funny, probably doesn't haver anything in commen with Mac or windows, but when Microsoft put a similar processor as Macs used to use, Xboxes started exploding :P Then Mac changed their Processor :P.

That's just my two cents.

---MAD---
14-07-2007, 03:16 AM
To even suggest windows is the better software is ridiculous.

First, check out the windows search results on virus, here (http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=virus), and then the apple search results on virus here (http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-searchpre11.pl?q=virus&restrict=us_only&site=us_only&lr=lang_en&access=p&oe=utf8). You might also notice the first few pages of the apple results are about movies people have made..
Then there is the constant crashing.. The ridiculously over-rated VISTA (which I use) is vile. Not only is it clearly not finished, it is slow, full of bugs and has little if any feature-wise improvement on XP, its just displayed differently.

There are two reasons why microsoft are popular: its cheaper than apple by about 50%, and microsoft owned majority shares in the first companies to create software, so of course their software would be "suited" to windows (even though ive tried "windows only" software on my uncles mac, and it works better than on my vista laptop and xp desktop).

There can be no case for microsoft being better, I'll end with a little quote someone somewhere once said (not word for word):

Microsoft did nothing but speed up the age of computers, much like a fatal injection would speed up the death of a convict. You may all reap the benefits now, but one day you will regret going to such an insecure and unstable way of working.
Didn't bill gates pay Apple a few years back to keep them running when they had huge problems? I am sure its something like that.

I hate Macs very much. They are hard to use and just look bad.

Macs seem more secure because of the fact less people use them therefore hackers dont bother making viruses / trojans etc for it as theres little point in wasting a lot of time.

Dentafrice,
14-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Microsoft gave apple a large sum of money before apple declared bankrupcy, now Apple turns around with this ad campaign, that ticked Microsoft off.

---MAD---
14-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Microsoft gave apple a large sum of money before apple declared bankrupcy, now Apple turns around with this ad campaign, that ticked Microsoft off.
I doubt it does any harm. If anything it helps people realise what limits apple has to go through to get you to buy their Mac. Thats how I think of it :P.

DJ-Vimto
14-07-2007, 04:24 AM
I have used both Windows and Mac OS for several years...probably nearly 10 years now and I have seen the way that both Operating Systems have evolved, probably Mac more than I have Windows, but that still hasn't stopped me from having a favourite out of the two - which is Windows.

My main argument for why Windows is the superior of the two OS's is Compatibility as someone above mentioned

Theres an extraordinary amount of software available to do thousands of different tasks that can be done on Windows. As well as this, it is extremely simple to use new hardware, particularly most devices are now "plug and play" with the exception of some types of storage or removable media devices...connect, install drivers (often done automatically) then its ready to go in a matter of seconds!

There are a number of things I do not like about Macs - the mouse! I hate having a one button mouse and having to hold down ctrl every time you need to right click something, the same goes with most MacBooks aswell, its extremely frustrating.

The second thing, is the compatibility problems faced with most games and software. With a mac you are much more restricted on the software you can use with it. more often than not you have to rely on software published by Apple, which can sometimes end up being worse than the main 3rd party software publishers.

I really cba writing more on this, so ima finish here :P

Dentafrice,
14-07-2007, 04:27 AM
I have only used a mac a few times, and I have hated it.

The only thing I like is how it can be used for recording, which PC can do that too.

Mac must be desperate to produce these ads.

---MAD---
14-07-2007, 04:33 AM
I have used both Windows and Mac OS for several years...probably nearly 10 years now and I have seen the way that both Operating Systems have evolved, probably Mac more than I have Windows, but that still hasn't stopped me from having a favourite out of the two - which is Windows.

My main argument for why Windows is the superior of the two OS's is Compatibility as someone above mentioned

Theres an extraordinary amount of software available to do thousands of different tasks that can be done on Windows. As well as this, it is extremely simple to use new hardware, particularly most devices are now "plug and play" with the exception of some types of storage or removable media devices...connect, install drivers (often done automatically) then its ready to go in a matter of seconds!

There are a number of things I do not like about Macs - the mouse! I hate having a one button mouse and having to hold down ctrl every time you need to right click something, the same goes with most MacBooks aswell, its extremely frustrating.

The second thing, is the compatibility problems faced with most games and software. With a mac you are much more restricted on the software you can use with it. more often than not you have to rely on software published by Apple, which can sometimes end up being worse than the main 3rd party software publishers.

I really cba writing more on this, so ima finish here :P
Yeah I agree. 1 mouse click thing kills me lol. And I hate how the X on windows is on the left in mac I am used to it on the right :P.

Dentafrice,
14-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Same, mac laptops have two buttons :P

I don't like how it is, the design, the way it works.

I guess I have used windows since it come out, I don't want to use anything but it or Linux.

Shawnstra
14-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I would say Windows. Apple Inc., the founder of the Mac, although the more innovative company, copies quite a few things from other companies and glorifies them. Windows is also by far more compatible and more popular.

alexxxxx
14-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Macs are OK but they have big problems which prevent me from using them,

The first is the mouse, it doesn't feel right in my hand, I can probably get mice from other places to use but it's just not that great.

i don't really feel the difference.

Compatibility is the second, Macs are not very compatible with some software out there. Windows is more popular so there is lots of good software out there but for a mac I don't seem to find much.

I agree

The look is the third. Windows Vista looks fantastic! Great Aero style, macs are white, ee... I don't find it very user friendly.

Mac's UI are not white. And it is as user friendly as windows, bar the START button, which you can replicate, by putting the application folder in the dock.

People who say There are viruses for windows and not as many for macs are just insulting macs by saying they are not popular, windows has viruses because it's popular, and if you have vista it's not a problem because even the basic edition comes with Windows OneCare which is a virus protection tool.

it's not really an 'insult' saying its not popular. it's popular with its users, and they are happy they are not targeted for viruses.

If you are getting errors on windows it's your own fault, you can't just go on the internet and download crap then hope that your system functions good, I've seen people download Kazaa, Bonzi Buddy, Net Nanny and other programs that are viruses then complain that their computer does not function, smarten up ;)

Well, in my experiences with VISTA, XP and ME this is again false, as with just microsoft/mozilla/open office programs, things crash for no reason. As with mac, iPhoto/msn/opera often freeze on me.

If vista is so "bad" why did it sell more than XP did in the first month it was out?

More computers overall are sold now than then.

I think it's funny, probably doesn't haver anything in commen with Mac or windows, but when Microsoft put a similar processor as Macs used to use, Xboxes started exploding :P Then Mac changed their Processor :P.

Well, this has nothing to do with this debate at all, as Ive never come across a mac that exploded due to its processesor (maybe its battery though). The Xbox was just badly designed, but however i believe is much better for vaule than PS3.
That's just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

ShaneIsMe
14-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I love the look of Macs, i like how they have the new design (for the iMac), the smoothness looks cool. I prefer the Mac icons to the Windows ones, maybe because i use Windows?

Honestly I prefer Windows but Macs are just as good, I like windows because they have more programs then Macs.

HotelUser
14-07-2007, 01:54 PM
;3707086']
Mac's UI are not white. And it is as user friendly as windows, bar the START button, which you can replicate, by putting the application folder in the dock.
White bar at the top white transparentish one at the bottom.
;3707086']
it's not really an 'insult' saying its not popular. it's popular with its users, and they are happy they are not targeted for viruses.
It is an insult saying it isn't popular, it's been around for ages and its not as popular as windows for good there has to be bad, to have lots of programs there has to be lots of viruses, OS X is windows opposite, less programs less viruses.
;3707086']

Well, in my experiences with VISTA, XP and ME this is again false, as with just microsoft/mozilla/open office programs, things crash for no reason. As with mac, iPhoto/msn/opera often freeze on me.Firefox mostly will crash if there is a problem with firefox itself or rendering a page, not as much as windows is causing the problem, get rid of open office and buy a copy of Microsoft Office, it's much better.
;3707086']

More computers overall are sold now than then.
This is true, but more computers with windows are sold overall than then, this number could of gone down and macs went up higher than windows, which didn't happen, macs may of gone up too but I doubt it's climbing higher than windows, correct me if I'm wrong, this is just a complete guess.
;3707086']

Well, this has nothing to do with this debate at all, as Ive never come across a mac that exploded due to its processesor (maybe its battery though). The Xbox was just badly designed, but however i believe is much better for vaule than PS3.
That's just my two cents.
I know it has nothing to do with the debate that's why I said it had nothing to do with it really when I posted it. It didn't explode because of it's processor, it's just kind of ironic that when they started to explode Mac switched over to intel. Why did they do that? trying to make it so OS X can be on a computer designed for windows? but then in turn couldn't even more windows be installed on macs? People do this with emulators already if you could do it without one there would be loads of people doing it, OS X could be on windows with as far as I know only one emulator, Boches or something like that, it's rather hard to set up too.

DiscoPat
15-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Have both, and Windows is just easier, not complicated and does the job properly.

Virgin Mary
15-07-2007, 08:10 PM
MACS CAN'T RIGHT CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!! RENDERING THEM INEFFICIANT

lAdmire
16-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I've never used Mac but I say Windows is good. A lot of you are talking about your computer crashing, I don't get that. My computer crashed once and that's cause someone downloaded some paint shop thing and it messed it up. Umm... Windows is actually good. Depends if you have like Windows 98, then that sucks but I have XP and it's good. I hear Windows Vista is good also.

BL!NKEY
17-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Is this OSX vs the Windows OS

or Macs vs PCs

You have to state that when you make a debate topic.

First off I dont want to get into this thread too much because It has been discussed before on this forum and it got nowhere. Just stories of people saying like "I heard Apple broke into Windows headquarters and stole their secret files and copied it all"

I will just quote a few comments I noticed.

You judge the OS by the mouse the computer comes with. They ship the mouse because it looks good with the computer and some people like it. You can always get a different mouse. Most PCs come with stock mice which you upgrade to one you like more if you are into that stuff.

Well Macs are actually more compatible with software than PCs.
For over a year Macs have been able to run XP (or vista) and OSX.

OSX has a lot of pro software like final cut and aperture. In games they are lacking but you can always switch to XP for games on a Mac

you say white is not a user friendly color?

Macs come in black and silver too.

And Vista looks like OSX

Yeah I agree. 1 mouse click thing kills me lol. And I hate how the X on windows is on the left in mac I am used to it on the right :P.

You dont like Macs because the X is in the other corner?

I could say I dont like PCs because the X is in the wrong corner.

That is the second worst points of this thread.

The worst point of this thread is the one mouse click thing.

Clearly stating that you dont know anything about macs in the past few years.

MACS CAN'T RIGHT CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!! RENDERING THEM INEFFICIANT

The mouse that comes with macs has a right click. It actually has 4 buttons and a scroll ball.

It just is engineered so nicely that it doesn't look like it has a bunch of random buttons. It is plain and simple looking like most apple designs.

I am not going to go further into this argument because the only people who can actually argue are the ones who know a little about both systems.

And anyone saying that macs dont have right click or that they cant run as much software isn't educated in the computer field enough to be insightful.

I suggest anyone looking in this thread for a good fair comparison to google it.

Or go to an Apple store and mess around then go to a Dell store (or PC store) and see how you like them.

Then make a decision.

Pitch
17-07-2007, 09:17 AM
all of the points so far about windows do nothing but prove my point; its cheaper so more people bought it. Now, having bought it, and been through several updates your used to the windows way of things.

In my experience, its like the hare vs the tortoise, my windows can sometimes load things at a fraction of the time of a mac, however before i get going itll freeze, (on vista, annoying white blank over is SUCH a pain). Overall, the mac is more compatible than the pc, its just that as you all so unwittingly pointed out to us, the pc is more popular, and thus has a wider target audience for games to be produced.

To suggest that just because there is more PCs means people dont bother to try to create virii for macs is absurd. There are still millions of people who use macs everyday. Also, as the macs are sold directly from apple, and can handle huge amounts of memory in programs such as the recording and editing suites, it tends to be industry that buys macs, and so any exploits found in OS X would cost multi-billion dollar companies alot, and so there is just as much incentive to create virii there; a huge company will provide more revenue through hacking than hundreds of teenagers at home.

Both are huge success stories, windows how it has dwarfed competition (although undeservedly), mac how it manages to look so much nicer (both as a laptop and a desktop) instead of looking like the box it comes in.

CrazyColaist
17-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Windows

Tbh i dont like mac's ive tried there very expensive and they're hard to use.

and second i dont like Apple at all.

Pitch
17-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Windows and macs are identically easy to use, tried asin oh look theres a mac, or owned one? Im sure no-one was re-coding the whole windows system in a day, how long hve you had a windows, how long did you have/try a mac? They both take practically no time to get used to

lScottl
20-07-2007, 07:32 PM
The people who make the viruses dont target Mac's, because there crap. And most people use Windows.

GommeInc
20-07-2007, 09:26 PM
People only like Macs because they're different, regardless to whether they're any good or not. Another reason people think they're great is because they're so mentally ******ed that they actually believe the posters and TV ads are true. Other than that is the performance, which isn't that hard to achieve with a PC and probably isn't needed anyway. My PC is apparently slow, I don't care.

sim
20-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I like macs, because they are beautiful machines, which are made for the operating system entirley in mind. Macbooks come with iSight example whic works in conjunction with Iphoto, photobooth and other software, theres a hell of a lot of open soruce software for macs out there, infact sometimes I think more than PC's and it all looks beautiful, windows is ugly imo.

alexxxxx
21-07-2007, 12:30 PM
People only like Macs because they're different, regardless to whether they're any good or not. Another reason people think they're great is because they're so mentally ******ed that they actually believe the posters and TV ads are true. Other than that is the performance, which isn't that hard to achieve with a PC and probably isn't needed anyway. My PC is apparently slow, I don't care.

I had my mac before that campaign, and almost had my first mac in 2000, but instead went for a pc instead.

Pitch
21-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Its clear that apple dont think theyre great, why would they enable their machines to run windows (ever tried adding OS X to a windows PC? - dont). The wealth of software that apple created solely for macs helps too... apple know what theyre doing a lot better than a 3rd party ever would, as is the case with mac. GommieInc, you dont even make sense.. people only like them because theyre different.. With the domination of windows, people must like them because their better than windows, so why are you defending then not then defending then not, make your mind up... for once. The ad campaign is a tongue in cheek from apple to microsoft, they use reasons that show mac is more user friendly, they run windows programs.. Again, do windows run mac programs?

You could argue that apple only do this because windows is more popular, if this was the case, then why do apple even make the mac; windows is more popular? The fact is, they dont begrudge their users for liking the competition, they just show its generally not a good idea to.

GommeInc
21-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I said I liked a Mac?! I said they're over glorified for what they are basically, Apple suggest they're great through their adverts by making up crap and posting mindless information they must of made up on the spot, which is false advertising. They suggest all laptops are made by Windows, when they're not. Windows is the OS, not a manufacturer. And they suggest all laptops hit the ground when the cable is pulled which is very untrue, most fall out, have done for years. Windows don't need to run Apple programs (other than iTunes) because Windows don't make their own software, other companies do and Apple probably won't allow PCs to run their programs, because they're so anti-competitive. Besides, you can buy or download a better program than anything in the iLife range and it would cost just a bit more than regular Mac, unless you go for Adobe CS2, then you could be naughty and go illegal, which isn't really considered bad by people anymore, other than the company it comes from.

Decapitated!
22-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Windows

Tbh i dont like mac's ive tried there very expensive and they're hard to use.

and second i dont like Apple at all.

my mum has a macbook pro and i find it well easy!

but then again its my opinion i prefer mac but yet i have a windows laptop :(

Amilo
22-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I think the whole Mac vs. Windows debate is over now. Nobody seems to care any more. When Vista first came out, yeah, people were bashing the two companys left right and centre, but it's sort of old now.

- Sean

HotelUser
23-07-2007, 12:17 AM
You judge the OS by the mouse the computer comes with. They ship the mouse because it looks good with the computer and some people like it. You can always get a different mouse. Most PCs come with stock mice which you upgrade to one you like more if you are into that stuff.I mentioned you could probably get a new mouse and it says MAC vs not OSX vs.

Well Macs are actually more compatible with software than PCs.
For over a year Macs have been able to run XP (or vista) and OSX.
Because there is an OS emulator does not make it more compatible, it's another waste of time. You would have to make the simulated computer less powerful than the machine and obtain a Windows operating system. Also ever hear of Virtual PC, VMware that simulate OSes for windows? Boches is one you can install on windows and run Mac aswell.

OSX has a lot of pro software like final cut and aperture. In games they are lacking but you can always switch to XP for games on a Mac
Loading the virtual operating system to run a game, waste of time.

you say white is not a user friendly color?

Macs come in black and silver too.

And Vista looks like OSX
I dislike the user interface and the look of Mac,s it looks like they didn't want them to look nice so they made it all one color.

You dont like Macs because the X is in the other corner?

I could say I dont like PCs because the X is in the wrong corner.

That is the second worst points of this thread.

The worst point of this thread is the one mouse click thing.

Clearly stating that you dont know anything about macs in the past few years.

The mouse that comes with macs has a right click. It actually has 4 buttons and a scroll ball.
An ugly scroll bar.

It just is engineered so nicely that it doesn't look like it has a bunch of random buttons. It is plain and simple looking like most apple designs.
Yes it is plain, too plain.

I am not going to go further into this argument because the only people who can actually argue are the ones who know a little about both systems.

And anyone saying that macs dont have right click or that they cant run as much software isn't educated in the computer field enough to be insightful.
I've used both Operating Systems recently, they can not run as much good software. Fact.

I suggest anyone looking in this thread for a good fair comparison to google it.

Or go to an Apple store and mess around then go to a Dell store (or PC store) and see how you like them.

Then make a decision.

I think the whole Mac vs. Windows debate is over now. Nobody seems to care any more. When Vista first came out, yeah, people were bashing the two companys left right and centre, but it's sort of old now.

- Sean

According to Steve Jobs those stupid adds on tv which makes people dislike Macs is for "fun" not bashfull to Windows at all?

Hmm.. Doubt that. I knew who Bill Gates was when I was 4 years old. I just learned who Steve Jobs was a year ago.

I said I liked a Mac?! I said they're over glorified for what they are basically, Apple suggest they're great through their adverts by making up crap and posting mindless information they must of made up on the spot, which is false advertising. They suggest all laptops are made by Windows, when they're not. Windows is the OS, not a manufacturer. And they suggest all laptops hit the ground when the cable is pulled which is very untrue, most fall out, have done for years. Windows don't need to run Apple programs (other than iTunes) because Windows don't make their own software, other companies do and Apple probably won't allow PCs to run their programs, because they're so anti-competitive. Besides, you can buy or download a better program than anything in the iLife range and it would cost just a bit more than regular Mac, unless you go for Adobe CS2, then you could be naughty and go illegal, which isn't really considered bad by people anymore, other than the company it comes from.

Windows is owned by Microsoft (obvously) which makes
Microsoft Plus
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Rise Of Nations
Microsoft Zoo Tycoon
Need I keep going?

Even if they did get others to make that there name is on it.

Its clear that apple dont think theyre great, why would they enable their machines to run windows (ever tried adding OS X to a windows PC? - dont). The wealth of software that apple created solely for macs helps too... apple know what theyre doing a lot better than a 3rd party ever would, as is the case with mac. GommieInc, you dont even make sense.. people only like them because theyre different.. With the domination of windows, people must like them because their better than windows, so why are you defending then not then defending then not, make your mind up... for once. The ad campaign is a tongue in cheek from apple to microsoft, they use reasons that show mac is more user friendly, they run windows programs.. Again, do windows run mac programs?

You could argue that apple only do this because windows is more popular, if this was the case, then why do apple even make the mac; windows is more popular? The fact is, they dont begrudge their users for liking the competition, they just show its generally not a good idea to.

You can run OSX on Windows with Boches though Microsoft does not support it at all.

BL!NKEY
23-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I mentioned you could probably get a new mouse and it says MAC vs not OSX vs.

So this debate is comparing Mac computers to Windows which is just an OS

Because there is an OS emulator does not make it more compatible, it's another waste of time.

It is not an emulator. You can use bootcamp to actually boot up in XP or Vista. Macs run on intel chips now.

It is the same as running XP or Vista on your dell.

If it is too much of a waste of time to re-boot you can buy parallels which lets you use both OSX and XP or Vista programs without booting.

You would have to make the simulated computer less powerful than the machine and obtain a Windows operating system. Also ever hear of Virtual PC, VMware that simulate OSes for windows?

Yes those are emulators. That was back in the Power PC days. They do not use those on the intel macs. You actually are running XP or Vista.

Boches is one you can install on windows and run Mac aswell.Loading the virtual operating system to run a game, waste of time.

Once again you can use parallels and not have to "waste time" booting up

I
dislike the user interface and the look of Mac,s it looks like they didn't want them to look nice so they made it all one color.An ugly scroll bar.Yes it is plain, too plain.

If your personal preference isn't the clean look of Apple then that is your choice. I tend to like clean simple looking stuff so it appeals to me and a lot of other people. One of the reasons the iPod is so successful.

I've used both Operating Systems recently, they can not run as much good software. Fact.

Tell me a piece of software that you can run on Windows that you cannot on a Mac. (remember Macs can run XP or Vista)

According to Steve Jobs those stupid adds on tv which makes people dislike Macs is for "fun" not bashfull to Windows at all?

We are discussing computers here not advertising strategies.

Hmm.. Doubt that. I knew who Bill Gates was when I was 4 years old. I just learned who Steve Jobs was a year ago.

I knew Bill Gates before Steve Jobs too. He is or was the richest man in the world. But I bet more people know Steve Jobs then know the head of Dell or HP which sell more computers.

Windows is owned by Microsoft (obvously) which makes
Microsoft Plus
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Rise Of Nations
Microsoft Zoo Tycoon
Need I keep going?

Even if they did get others to make that there name is on it.

And you can still run those programs on Macs.

You can run OSX on Windows with Boches though Microsoft does not support it at all.

Not legally. Your average PC user is not going to hack it to run OS X.

Your average Mac user might want to install Boot Camp to easily and legally run XP to play some of those super cool Microsoft games.

HotelUser
23-07-2007, 12:53 PM
It is not an emulator. You can use bootcamp to actually boot up in XP or Vista. Macs run on intel chips now.
Some people still use macs with no intel processor.

Tell me a piece of software that you can run on Windows that you cannot on a Mac. (remember Macs can run XP or Vista)
Remember I already knew that. OSX can NOT run this software, OSX can simulate windows but then windows runs the software not OSX. Just because you can simulate a windows computer does not oh so suddenly let OSX run everything. Windows is still doing it.

We are discussing computers here not advertising strategies.
It has something to do with Windows and Macs, maybe you've never seen them?

I knew Bill Gates before Steve Jobs too. He is or was the richest man in the world. But I bet more people know Steve Jobs then know the head of Dell or HP which sell more computers.
I knew Gates because of Microsoft before I knew him for his richness.

And you can still run those programs on Macs.
Yeah for some there may be a Mac edition such as office, but if you use an emulator or install Windows it is running on Windows not OSX.

Not legally. Your average PC user is not going to hack it to run OS X.
Yes legally and it's not hacking you install boches and it works.

Your average Mac user might want to install Boot Camp to easily and legally run XP to play some of those super cool Microsoft games.
Yes but if you switch to Windows the games run on Windows not OSX.

You run boches on windows, do you think paras is the only simulator that lets you pause and save the state because it is not. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007(freeware) allows you to do all of this and share files by draging from one OS to another.

In the end you can not run some things on OSX without having to install Windows. These things are running on Windows really not OSX. Though they are using the simulated processor and other simulated things Windows is the operating system you simulate.

If the Mac vs Windows is the true debate and it's not over OSX vs Windows than you are running Windows(one side of the debate) on a Mac(the other side of the debate) so Macs would run windows software but windows would be running it. A Tie perhaps? Maybe though using Windows is much more easy.

Luckyrare
23-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I am dont even going to talk about viruses/who had the ideas first...

Mac, runs quicker in my eyes on much lower spec. PC, has more games/choice of software... Mac has a better interface. Vista is great, OSX is better.

Mac wins my vote.

BL!NKEY
23-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Some people still use macs with no intel processo.

True but in this debate we are talking about the recent Macs and Windows. I wouldn't discount an advantage that Vista has because some Windows users do not have Vista.

Remember I already knew that. OSX can NOT run this software, OSX can simulate windows but then windows runs the software not OSX. Just because you can simulate a windows computer does not oh so suddenly let OSX run everything. Windows is still doing it

But you even clarified that the debate was Macs vs Windows so we are not talking about OSX only. While OSX can not RUN Windows, Macs can. They do not emulate.

Here is a graph representing what Macs can do vs what Windows can do

( (Windows) Macs)

everything you can do on Windows you can do on Macs. Not everything you can do on Windows you can do on a Mac.

Yeah for some there may be a Mac edition such as office, but if you use an emulator or install Windows it is running on Windows not OSX

But the debate is not about OSX. The Mac is still running the windows program.

.Yes legally and it's not hacking you install boches and it works.

Wrong. It is illegal to run OSX on a non apple computer.

Yes but if you switch to Windows the games run on Windows not OSX.

Once again. Of corse it is running Windows. The Mac is not emulating either.

In the end you can not run some things on OSX without having to install Windows. These things are running on Windows really not OSX. Though they are using the simulated processor and other simulated things Windows is the operating system you simulate.

It is Macs vs Windows not OSX vs Windows.

If there was a different debate of OSX vs Windows then I would have different points.

If the Mac vs Windows is the true debate and it's not over OSX vs Windows than you are running Windows(one side of the debate) on a Mac(the other side of the debate) so Macs would run windows software but windows would be running it. A Tie perhaps? Maybe though using Windows is much more easy.

I will show my graph again

( (Windows) Macs)

Macs win with the amount of stuff they can do.

An unfair debate from the beginning because you are comparing a Computer to an operating system.

HotelUser
24-07-2007, 12:19 AM
True but in this debate we are talking about the recent Macs and Windows. I wouldn't discount an advantage that Vista has because some Windows users do not have Vista.

But you even clarified that the debate was Macs vs Windows so we are not talking about OSX only. While OSX can not RUN Windows, Macs can. They do not emulate.

Here is a graph representing what Macs can do vs what Windows can do

( (Windows) Macs)

everything you can do on Windows you can do on Macs. Not everything you can do on Windows you can do on a Mac.

But the debate is not about OSX. The Mac is still running the windows program.

Wrong. It is illegal to run OSX on a non apple computer.

Once again. Of corse it is running Windows. The Mac is not emulating either.

It is Macs vs Windows not OSX vs Windows.

If there was a different debate of OSX vs Windows then I would have different points.

I will show my graph again

( (Windows) Macs)

Macs win with the amount of stuff they can do.

An unfair debate from the beginning because you are comparing a Computer to an operating system.

No. Illegal or not Illegal you can still run OS X on windows...

Windows can run OSX
Mac can run Windows.

You don't see it often because it is crap to want to run OSX on windows. Useless.

I'll put it like this.
Even though Mac is running Windows this debate is Mac VS Windows and Windows is the Operating System running these programs, though it is on a Mac computer Windows is running it and windows is the vs in the debate. So It has to win because by saying Mac runs Windows and Windows is part of the debate it wins, I hope you get it? Lol..

BL!NKEY
24-07-2007, 12:40 AM
No. Illegal or not Illegal you can still run OS X on windows...

Windows can run OSX
Mac can run Windows.

You don't see it often because it is crap to want to run OSX on windows. Useless.

I never said you couldn't.

I just said that it was illegal.

And it is not as stable as running windows on a mac. I do not know the exact program you are talking about to do this but it is probably an emulator which as you proved earlier is not as good as actually running the OS like you can do on a Mac. If it is not an emulator then you are no longer talking about Windows.

I'll put it like this.
Even though Mac is running Windows this debate is Mac VS Windows and Windows is the Operating System running these programs, though it is on a Mac computer Windows is running it and windows is the vs in the debate. So It has to win because by saying Mac runs Windows and Windows is part of the debate it wins, I hope you get it? Lol..

I read that 3 times and still don't understand.

Guy 1 has a Mac

Guy 2 has Windows

Guy 1 can do more stuff on his computer.

HotelUser
24-07-2007, 01:13 AM
I never said you couldn't.

I just said that it was illegal.

And it is not as stable as running windows on a mac. I do not know the exact program you are talking about to do this but it is probably an emulator which as you proved earlier is not as good as actually running the OS like you can do on a Mac. If it is not an emulator then you are no longer talking about Windows.

I read that 3 times and still don't understand.

Guy 1 has a Mac

Guy 2 has Windows

Guy 1 can do more stuff on his computer.

No it is the exact same for each person. Because Windows can run Mac too.

And guy 1 is doing lots because he can run windows, therefor windows wins.

BL!NKEY
24-07-2007, 01:28 AM
No it is the exact same for each person. Because Windows can run Mac too.

And guy 1 is doing lots because he can run windows, therefor windows wins.

Windows cant run OSX without emulation.

Maybe PCS can.

But this argument is Windows vs Macs

Macs can do more.

That cannot be debatable because we are comparing a computer which can run any operating system to one of the operating systems it can run.

It is not a fair debate but that is the one that was asked.

HotelUser
24-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Windows cant run OSX without emulation.

Maybe PCS can.

But this argument is Windows vs Macs

Macs can do more.

That cannot be debatable because we are comparing a computer which can run any operating system to one of the operating systems it can run.

It is not a fair debate but that is the one that was asked.

Even if you couldn't run OSX on Windows Windows would win because you can put windows on macs. It's like merging both debate topics together.

Though the Mac is running Windows that is running all of the programs Mac is a debate topic and so is Windows, But like I said, all mac is doing is running Windows. Windows is the thing running the programs. One may argue that Mac is running Windows making it compatible though Mac can run other operating systems that make it not compatible, the fact that Windows(the debate topic I may add again) is so compatible makes windows win.

Shawnstra
24-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I find Mac a little un-user friendly. Although they have been praised by loads of people of their user friendliness, I don't find this true. Most people start off with a Windows computer, and move to a Mac later in their lives. Most people I am sure have learnt Windows before the Mac OS, hence as the Mac OS is similar in some ways compared to the Windows OS, they say its more user friendly. In my opinion, this is untrue, it is just easier to learn how to use a Mac because of previous experiences.

Pitch
24-07-2007, 11:25 AM
I find Mac a little un-user friendly. Although they have been praised by loads of people of their user friendliness, I don't find this true. Most people start off with a Windows computer, and move to a Mac later in their lives. Most people I am sure have learnt Windows before the Mac OS, hence as the Mac OS is similar in some ways compared to the Windows OS, they say its more user friendly. In my opinion, this is untrue, it is just easier to learn how to use a Mac because of previous experiences.

In england this may be true, however in canada, USA, as the mac is a fraction of the price it is in england, alot more people buy a mac first. I dont understand what point your trying to make? Mac isnt like windows, therefore it isnt user friendly?

HotelUser
24-07-2007, 12:50 PM
In england this may be true, however in canada, USA, as the mac is a fraction of the price it is in england, alot more people buy a mac first. I dont understand what point your trying to make? Mac isnt like windows, therefore it isnt user friendly?

I am in Canada and when I go to Futureshop you can buy a laptop for 600 dollars though you can get a mac for 2000 dollars, I think you did not take the currency conversion into consideration.

Colin-Roberts
24-07-2007, 12:51 PM
And anyone saying that macs dont have right click or that they cant run as much software isn't educated in the computer field enough to be insightful.ok this was on page 3 or w.e but windows can run alot more software then macs. think of all the games , programs that you see in say staples or argos that say windows xp , 98 they don't mention macs because they arn't compatible with them.

and above macs are still 3x the price of normal windows computers in canada.

HotelUser
24-07-2007, 02:06 PM
ok this was on page 3 or w.e but windows can run alot more software then macs. think of all the games , programs that you see in say staples or argos that say windows xp , 98 they don't mention macs because they arn't compatible with them.

and above macs are still 3x the price of normal windows computers in canada.

Yes I think they just didn't take it into account that they look cheaper in Europe because the Canadian dollar is not worth as much as the British Pound or Euro.

lDuckFunk
24-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Mac Has more reliable Hardware, But Crashes more than Windows

HotelUser
25-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Mac Has more reliable Hardware, But Crashes more than Windows

I don't find that, I plug a USB mouse into my Windows CE and it is known right away and has worked for 5 years and keeps going, if you are saying this because of Microsofts BSOD fun while doing Windows 98 you have a point but Windows 98 had it's time, now it's awful.

Recursion
25-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Windows - Not great at designing, LOADS of games, and it easily upgradeable.

Mac - Very good for designing things, not so many games out, not very easy to upgrade

Pitch
25-07-2007, 02:52 PM
not easy to upgrade? You do it directly from apple, and they'll warranty any upgrade/repair themselves.. With norma pcs, any old hobo can say "ooooh dear, that'll $_$ COST $_$".

More problems with price, My dads gf is american, her mac cost her $800 US. A normal windows PC can start from $400US.... So its not really that much.

Colin-Roberts
25-07-2007, 03:48 PM
not easy to upgrade? You do it directly from apple, and they'll warranty any upgrade/repair themselves.. With norma pcs, any old hobo can say "ooooh dear, that'll $_$ COST $_$".

More problems with price, My dads gf is american, her mac cost her $800 US. A normal windows PC can start from $400US.... So its not really that much. computers can be cheaper then $400/ and i think jaffa ment pcs are easier for custom computer builders to upgrade / buil not for repair work. cheeapest mac from apple $659 for a mini, next level is well into the $1200 wich you can build a hell of a windows computer for.

Pitch
25-07-2007, 09:40 PM
But a hell of a mac isnt the specs youd need for the hell of a windows.. Macs are often fine on a 1.6 Ghz, whereas with XP/Vista, its almost useless for anything under 2.2 Ghz.. Also with ram and stuff. The base model apple is adequate to do most things, whereas the base windows would hardly be adequate for much (as demonstrated by the complete uselessness of DELL)

GommeInc
26-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I find you can do everything a Mac does on a PC and a quarter, possibly half the things a PC can do on a Mac. iLife is just a footstall to the ladder of professional programs that are built for PCs and Macs.

HotelUser
27-07-2007, 01:57 PM
But a hell of a mac isnt the specs youd need for the hell of a windows.. Macs are often fine on a 1.6 Ghz, whereas with XP/Vista, its almost useless for anything under 2.2 Ghz.. Also with ram and stuff. The base model apple is adequate to do most things, whereas the base windows would hardly be adequate for much (as demonstrated by the complete uselessness of DELL)

LOL You're kidding me, right?
I run Vista on 1.86Ghz 1Gb ram and it works fine.
I use dual monitor with games with it and it is still faster than xp..

Vista is the best operating system out there, great support, sidebar is great, much faster than xp, direct x 10, graphics are better.

Johno
27-07-2007, 05:18 PM
PCs (Running Windows) are good at most things and I love having my PC, More things run on it and it has a larger market share but..

Macs just have a higher sense of class and OS X Tiger and of course Leopard (When its released) are desirable operating systems.

But, I do prefer my PC. Its a better all rounder as a platform and I know that I can easily chop and change pieces such as my screen but on an iMac its more of a fixed screen inside the unit.

As an OS however, I much prefer Mac OS X over Windows XP and Vista, I find that Vista is a nice operating system but I prefer the look and feel of OS X.

And on a final note, PCs are (in most cases) cheaper than macs. This is a key factor for most people and is one of the reasons I am no longer getting a brand spanking new mac this year.

I have not used Vista as a main OS so I cannot be fully judgemental over this but when I have used it, It is the first good looking windows operating system and it has some nifty new features such as Flip 3D

HotelUser
28-07-2007, 06:03 PM
PCs (Running Windows) are good at most things and I love having my PC, More things run on it and it has a larger market share but..

Macs just have a higher sense of class and OS X Tiger and of course Leopard (When its released) are desirable operating systems.

But, I do prefer my PC. Its a better all rounder as a platform and I know that I can easily chop and change pieces such as my screen but on an iMac its more of a fixed screen inside the unit.

As an OS however, I much prefer Mac OS X over Windows XP and Vista, I find that Vista is a nice operating system but I prefer the look and feel of OS X.

And on a final note, PCs are (in most cases) cheaper than macs. This is a key factor for most people and is one of the reasons I am no longer getting a brand spanking new mac this year.

I have not used Vista as a main OS so I cannot be fully judgemental over this but when I have used it, It is the first good looking windows operating system and it has some nifty new features such as Flip 3D

I am a Vista fulltime user and it is the best OS out there!

XP Looks nice though.

today
28-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Vista is pretty hot actually. =]

Pitch
28-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Can i just also remind you of the following:

VISTA Release date: January 30, 2007
OS X Release date: October 24th 2003

Note, that before both official release dates there were BETA tests and consumer tests on BOTH platforms.

HotelUser
29-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Can i just also remind you of the following:

VISTA Release date: January 30, 2007
OS X Release date: October 24th 2003

Note, that before both official release dates there were BETA tests and consumer tests on BOTH platforms.

Point being?

Pitch
29-07-2007, 04:52 PM
What do you mean point being, how is that not a point? OS X is 4 years older, and still does things Vista doesnt. Its like lets compare a 1980 ferrari's top speed with a ferrari made in 1984. Theres is alot of difference.

GommeInc
29-07-2007, 05:05 PM
What does it do that no system doesn't? What is your point? There is none "/

Pitch
29-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hmm, i wonder what point I could be trying to make by saying there are things you can do on a mac you cannot do on windows. Im sorry, ill rephrase my post now so that you can comprehend the illicit, obviously too subtle hint that macs are better.

MACS ARE BETTER THAN COMPUTERS BECAUSE THEY CAN DO MORE DID I MENTION MACS ARE BETTER THAN COMPUTERS AND OH YES THE OTHER DAY I WOKE UP AND MACS WERE BETTER THAN COMPUTERS.

GommeInc
29-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok... So where is the part that says what they can do which a PC can't? Jeez, someone is a definite obsessive Mac lover, the amount of sense you make is minimal "/ Why can't people just use a tool for it's use, not what it it is supposedly advertised as and what it apparently does *glares at crappy Mac Ads.*

On a PC, you can do everything a Mac can, plus more.

Macs aren't used as a type of server/shopping system in shops. Windows 95 is what loads of shops such as O2 use when looking up information.
PCs can have Photoshop and so can Macs, which is possibly the best program.

The list is endless. Not to mention games that PCs have and Macs don't.

I vote you stop thinking Macs are great, because in reality, they're not really anything special.

Pitch
29-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Am i a mac fanatic? All im saying is with PC's you get what you pay for. I have a windows PC, yeah its ok, but its not great and with vista definately not fault-less. I liked macs before the ads, and will continue to like macs with or without the ads. Just because you dont personally like something doesnt mean that everyone else is being misguided.

GommeInc
29-07-2007, 08:55 PM
You must be mis-guided if you haven't told me what your point was... What do they do more than a PC? You do not know, do you, because you avoid the answer by making stupid comments "/ So you must be mis-guided.

Macs aren't flawless either. No system is. Vista will be alot more stable when Service Pack 1 is released, which will solve issues with software and peripherals. I quite like Vista as it is now, and it is alot different than XP, obviously it will be the same system, but the whole system has been tweaked around making it easier to use.

FallenAsh
29-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Two words; mac pwnzu.

GommeInc
29-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Two words; mac pwnzu.
Any particular reason, or are you one of these people that like something but don't know why :rolleyes:

Pitch
29-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought my reasons wouldn't be "impressive" enough for you, but mainly they dont crash and cause little hard disk fragmentation. Because I know you seem personally opposed to whatever I say, me being the enemy, the one who supports those that you do not, and as thustly is wrong (IN YOUR OPINION).. I thought id just google what can a mac do that a pc cant, (Results 1 - 10 of about 40,200,000), the first result I found pulled up this list. Once you've read it, and spent an hour trying to find away to use things against me because you seem to believe your divinely right, why not PM me intead, this thread is just me, you, me, you, me, you

Real Plug and Play.

Fewer security holes.

Stability.

Better user interface.

Quartz graphics layer - antialiasing, built in PDF, smoothed fonts, 128X128 icons, transparencies, drop shadows, genie effect, GPU accelerated GUI, cursor casts its own shadow, no bit-maps :mad: .

Multiprocessor support. XP Home doesn't have it.

Sherlock 3 and/or Watson.

iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iCal, iSync, iChat

Multi-threaded Finder.

Actual CD burning support out of the box.

Columns view.

Near zero hard disk fragmentation.

Rendezvous.

Inkwell.

System wide address book.

Microsoft Office v.X

Software Airport Base Station.

Services - now works in the Finder with Jaguar.

.Mac

Spring-loaded folders.

Core Audio.

Plug and Play networking.

Long file names.

Animated folder icons.

Multi-threaded boot.

Free developer tools.

Very good developer tools.

Keychain.

Scientific calculator, complete with paper tape.

AppleScript - Can control and automate everything by typing plain English.

CURPS printing

Bluetooth support

Built-in speech recognition

Speech-to-text

No product key activation.

Apache

Unix based - And the all features that come with it

The Dock

No Wizards. :)

No Yellow dogs.

No Fisher Price. ;)

Full keyboard access.

Hide Application command

Hide every other application command

Save as PDF.

No registry.

No device manager.

Easy to change permissions.

Software updating that isn't done through IE.

Universal Access.

Desktop slide show.

Built-in Mail client that puts Outlook Express to shame.

Stickies

QuickTime isn't slow on a Mac.

RealOne uses Altivec.

Smart window resizing.

Finder kicks Windows Explorers butt.

Easy to hide any tool bar.

Drag and drop installations.

Dragging a program's folder or icon to the trash actually deletes it.

Previews in the Finder.

QuickTime movies and DVDs play in the Dock.

Transparent command line Window.

Doesn't make Bill Gates richer. ;)

Realtime video editing

Digital audio such as cubase, protools

no need for firewall

Finally, i just remembered my main hatred of PC's. Unlike macs, PC's actually look worse than the box they come in, and its usually a terrible box (HP!). Not only is the mac box alot better, but also the general idea of actually bothering that your computer doesnt look like a huge box, (why would anyone call a mac a tower? - they dont, because they dont look ridiculously ugly).

Before you say looks dont matter, fine if they dont matter, then does your CPU speed or OS matter?

FallenAsh
29-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Any particular reason, or are you one of these people that like something but don't know why :rolleyes:
Purely because I find it alot easier to use than windows. The way things work is alot more logical than on any other OS. They also look really sexay.

GommeInc
29-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I thought my reasons wouldn't be "impressive" enough for you, but mainly they dont crash and cause little hard disk fragmentation. Because I know you seem personally opposed to whatever I say, me being the enemy, the one who supports those that you do not, and as thustly is wrong (IN YOUR OPINION).. I thought id just google what can a mac do that a pc cant, (Results 1 - 10 of about 40,200,000), the first result I found pulled up this list. Once you've read it, and spent an hour trying to find away to use things against me because you seem to believe your divinely right, why not PM me intead, this thread is just me, you, me, you, me, you
I don't think I am right? When did I say that? I am sitting in the middle, maybe a bit more on the Windows Vista side, because I tend to think Microsoft is a better company than Apple, it isn't run by tardis' to begin with "/ I am just saying, Macs aren't that special, in fact, they're pretty much on the same level, possibly lower than the Windows system, considering more things are made for PCs because they're at the top in the market.

Also, this is the debate forum, thus the debate stays in this forum.

And also again, do you really think those results will ALL be about the two systems? :rolleyes: Jeez.

Real Plug and Play - A feature people don't appreciate or actually need "/

Fewer security holes - But there still are security issues "/ Macs don't really get them thrown about because 1. Windows don't feel the need to brag about other companies and their issues, like Apple. 2. Why attack something that isn't used by loads of companies and people? Thus, virus' and issues are dragged up concerning the Windows system.

Stability - Again, something really isn't looked at. If you get the right security, then who really cares?[b]

Better user interface - [b]This isa n opinionated argument. Some argue saying Vista is better and some argue that Macs are better. There is no real answer "/ So this is void.

Quartz graphics layer - antialiasing, built in PDF, smoothed fonts, 128X128 icons, transparencies, drop shadows, genie effect, GPU accelerated GUI, cursor casts its own shadow, no bit-maps :mad: . - And a PC can't? As with most things a PC can do, there are programs on the internet which allow such features. Go look up TuneUp Utilities, you can edit the themes, icon dimensions etc etc. Also, my curson has it's own shadow? And also again, this feature isn't exactly amazing "/ Would people really appreciate such a feature?

Multiprocessor support. XP Home doesn't have it - So how comes mine does? Also, not an amazing feature "/ I'm starting to wonder if this list is worth reading, it seems to not actually have anything amazing.

Sherlock 3 and/or Watson - [b]I don't even know what they are, so they must be worthless

iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iCal, iSync, iChat - Windows Media Player, Creative Media Source, Photoshop CS2, Windows Live Messenger, Calculator, Microsoft Outlook. What's so different and unique about them? You can get programs that do what they do already "/

Multi-threaded Finder - Instant search with Windows Vista. What else do you need? Something glorified and has features you don't need?

Actual CD burning support out of the box - Is this comparing OSX with Windows ME/2000? Also, you need support to burn a CD? It says on the right to stick a CD in and then right click and burn CD?

Columns view - Not exactly an amazing feature... Actually, pretty pointless.

Finally, i just remembered my main hatred of PC's. Unlike macs, PC's actually look worse than the box they come in, and its usually a terrible box (HP!). Not only is the mac box alot better, but also the general idea of actually bothering that your computer doesnt look like a huge box, (why would anyone call a mac a tower? - they dont, because they dont look ridiculously ugly).

Before you say looks dont matter, fine if they dont matter, then does your CPU speed or OS matter?
I gave up listing the problems with your list, but your last paragraph made me laugh.

Looks matter? Pah. People use a system for the system, not using it for the looks. Isn't a computer tower normally hidden anyway, like in a cupboard or under a desk? If looks matter, build your own PC and pick from a wide range of cases... Also, you blabbed part of that sentence "Not only is the mac box alot better, but also the general idea of actually bothering that your computer doesnt look like a huge box." Wha?

Also, what a computer looks like compared to the OS and CPU speed are observed differently. 2 do the job, one makes it look nice. Isn't it what the PC does that matters anyway? That comment was so badly thought through it is actually a waste of time commenting on it...

Also, the Bill Gates comment... Didn't he quit ages ago and didn't he used to donate large sums of money to his charity or charities? Steve Jobs looks alot richer than he was... So that comment pretty much back fired.

Purely because I find it alot easier to use than windows. The way things work is alot more logical than on any other OS. They also look really sexay.
Logical? Ok... So what something looks like makes it better?

-=Heizz=-
29-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Hate windows, have never used mac, but must be better!

HotelUser
30-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Pitch, since some of your chart was invalid I have taken it upon me to correct it, no need to thank me ;).

Real Plug and Play. - Windows Vista is very fast at installing something automaticly.

Fewer security holes.

Stability.

Better user interface. Not a chance, Vista has the best interface.

Quartz graphics layer - antialiasing, built in PDF, smoothed fonts, 128X128 icons, transparencies, drop shadows, genie effect, GPU accelerated GUI, cursor casts its own shadow, no bit-maps :mad: . - Vista does smooth fonts, nobody uses PDF, Vista has transparencies, vista has shadow.

Multiprocessor support. XP Home doesn't have it. - Yeah but Vista does and it is better than OSX.

iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iCal, iSync, iChat - Software, Windows comes with it to pal and let me tell you there is more out there for windows.

Multi-threaded Finder.

Actual CD burning support out of the box. - Windows has this too :S What are you talking about?

Columns view.

Near zero hard disk fragmentation.

Rendezvous.
Inkwell.
Microsoft Office v.X - Microsoft obviously has this for Windows :S

.Mac - Nobody cares ever hear of Microsoft Network?

Spring-loaded folders.

Core Audio. - PCs come with good audio if this is another program they come with that too.

Plug and Play networking. - You plug vista in and you're off.

Long file names. - Pointless and ugly.

Animated folder icons.

Multi-threaded boot.

Free developer tools. - Microsoft released the express edition of VB for free now.

Very good developer tools. - Windows does too?

Keychain.

Scientific calculator, complete with paper tape. - You can get one online too?

AppleScript - Can control and automate everything by typing plain English. - Vista has a feature like this that listens via microphone.

CURPS printing

Bluetooth support - Windows obviously has this too

Built-in speech recognition - Windows obviously has this too

Speech-to-text - Windows obviously has this too

No product key activation.

Apache - Windows obviously has this too

Unix based - And the all features that come with it - This doesn't make it better

The Dock

No Wizards.

No Yellow dogs.

No Fisher Price.

Full keyboard access.

Hide Application command

Save as PDF.

No registry. registry is good you can mod with it.

No device manager. device manager is good you can change stuff like you wish.

Easy to change permissions. - Windows is too

Software updating that isn't done through IE. - IE is just fine to update with :S

Universal Access.

Desktop slide show. - HELLO? Have you seen vista adds it has a slideshow of windows.

Built-in Mail client that puts Outlook Express to shame. - No it doesn't.

Stickies - Comes with sidebar with windows.

QuickTime isn't slow on a Mac. QuickTime is bad nobody uses it.

RealOne uses Altivec. - Realone is rated one of the worst software of all times.

Smart window resizing. - You can resize in windows to.

Finder kicks Windows Explorers butt. - Vista has a better one in search bar.

Easy to hide any tool bar.

Dragging a program's folder or icon to the trash actually deletes it.

Previews in the Finder.

QuickTime movies and DVDs play in the Dock. - Like I said quicktime is bad and Windows Media Player can play from startbar movies too.

Doesn't make Bill Gates richer. - He is giving 90% of his money to charity when he dies. Making it good that he gets money.

Realtime video editing - Ever hear of Movie Maker?

no need for firewall - Yes there is there is viruses for Macs too. Not as many because it's an unpopular beast.

WayWayWay more programs.

Nobody wants to simulate OSX on Windows, it IS possible.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Vista sidebar that kills Mac totally.

Overall looks better.

Our computers look nice unlike macs.

Better looking icons.

No stupid "i" in front of everything.

IIS.

More users for Windows.

Good virus protection. With it and use right the PC has no viruses.

InkBall.

Windows doesn't make stupid tv adds like Mac does.

We got GTA

We have a button for PrtScn and it doesn't clutter up space by saving pdfs all about.

The only good thing about Macs is that they are unique, I liked the G3 iMac but I dislike the new ones. They are a flat screen, too small now, if I want a compact system I'll get a laptop thanks :).

Pitch
30-07-2007, 10:39 AM
You do know, that to run iTunes you HAVE to have quicktime? So quite a few people use it.. they just aren't smart enough to know it. Windows has had their fair share of stupid TV ads, but does adverts mean they dont make as good products? Clearly not. PDF's are used by millions of people, to make a PDF on windows you have to download clients and create it by sending it to print through drivers which distorts most images and creates HUGE file sizes. That list is 3 years old, created when windows XP was out. I dont know what VISTA does, its just not as good as its supposed to be. Also, you'll note that I have proven the point macs can do more, because you haven't said every single one the mac can do better than the PC, and again for bluetooth this is only done through using hardware. Windows Vista permissions are nowhere near easy, to run most applications you have to provide admin access, EVERY TIME. (Even though your accont is an "admin")

I just re-read your post, the last line made me LOL. Movie-maker isnt realtime movie editing.

FAQz
30-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Personally I have only used a MAc once or twice but I was quite impressed with it and considering I have used a Pc almost most of my life. hehe. I was amazed that I could still manage to adapt to using one. The only bad thing about them that I have found so far are that they have one buttons mouses which can really get on my nerves especially when I am so used to right clicking after saving images on the internet or playing games like runescape for example.
However overall I believe the Mac and pc are pretty evenly matched but still if I had to choose between the two I believe that I would choose the PC simply because of the mouse problem and Im used to using one...
FAQz

HotelUser
30-07-2007, 02:04 PM
You do know, that to run iTunes you HAVE to have quicktime? So quite a few people use it.. they just aren't smart enough to know it. Windows has had their fair share of stupid TV ads, but does adverts mean they dont make as good products? Clearly not. PDF's are used by millions of people, to make a PDF on windows you have to download clients and create it by sending it to print through drivers which distorts most images and creates HUGE file sizes. That list is 3 years old, created when windows XP was out. I dont know what VISTA does, its just not as good as its supposed to be. Also, you'll note that I have proven the point macs can do more, because you haven't said every single one the mac can do better than the PC, and again for bluetooth this is only done through using hardware. Windows Vista permissions are nowhere near easy, to run most applications you have to provide admin access, EVERY TIME. (Even though your accont is an "admin")

I just re-read your post, the last line made me LOL. Movie-maker isnt realtime movie editing.

Movie Maker is all you need though. Bluetooth works fine I don't know what you're on about. Macs obviously do not do more, look at my list? And I didn't answer every one in your list because I didn't look at them I just did the ones I knew, not many people use itunes, we use napster. For free music we use other programs. I hardly ever change the admin perms on Vista I don't need too. Not many people use PDFs and all you need to do is download a very quick tool to use them that works great thanks. Making a PDF is easy, use photoshop haha. I could of made a list 2 miles long of things that Windows can do that Mac systems lack. I'll start by saying you can do more on a Windows system because there is more programs and games.

Crimson
30-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I've used Mac and Windows, I hate Mac. I really, REALLY hate Mac. lol

Colin-Roberts
31-07-2007, 05:28 PM
i was bored so i'm going rip the chart.
Real Plug and Play. - windows support more standerd plug and play and macs require drivers anything that requires drivers on windows would also require drivers on mac.

Fewer security holes. mac market share: 10% windows market share: 90% wonder why theres less know holes..

Better user interface. for the newbie users ect but for more advanced users xp and vista are better.

Quartz graphics layer - antialiasing, built in PDF, smoothed fonts, 128X128 icons, transparencies, drop shadows, genie effect, GPU accelerated GUI, cursor casts its own shadow, no bit-maps :mad: . can all be done in windows xp & vista

Multiprocessor support. XP Home doesn't have it. - xp home service package 2 does and same with proffessional and vista

iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iCal, iSync, iChat - windows has there own version of each and there alot more advanced with alot more addons.

Multi-threaded Finder.

Actual CD burning support out of the box. - windows has that, to do more advanced burning you may need nero or something but you would on a mac too.

Columns view.

Rendezvous.
Inkwell.
Microsoft Office v.X - it's made by Microsoft off course windows has it.

Spring-loaded folders.

Core Audio. - PCs come with good audio if this is another program they come with that too.

Plug and Play networking. - again that has nothing really to do with windows it's to do with the manufacture of the routers ect.

Animated folder icons.

Multi-threaded boot.

Free developer tools. - Microsoft released the express edition of VB for free now.

Keychain.

AppleScript - Can control and automate everything by typing plain English. - Vista has a feature like this that listens via microphone.

CURPS printing

No product key activation. that makes it less secure with greater chance of piracy?

Unix based - And the all features that come with it - This doesn't make it better

The Dock

No Wizards.

No Yellow dogs.

No Fisher Price.

Full keyboard access.

Hide Application command

Save as PDF.

Software updating that isn't done through IE. - IE is just fine to update with

Universal Access.

Desktop slide show. - HELLO? Have you seen vista adds it has a slideshow of windows.

QuickTime isn't slow on a Mac. quicktime sucks.

RealOne uses Altivec. - Realone is rated one of the worst software of all times.

Easy to hide any tool bar. same with windows.

Dragging a program's folder or icon to the trash actually deletes it. that's stupid what if i just wanted to delete the icon or the program folder and keep the records of the program for later.

Previews in the Finder.

QuickTime movies and DVDs play in the Dock. - Like I said quicktime is bad and Windows Media Player can play from startbar movies too.

Doesn't make Bill Gates richer. - He is giving 90% of his money to charity when he dies. Making it good that he gets money.

no need for firewall - Yes there is there is viruses for Macs too. Not as many because it's an unpopular beast.

WayWayWay more programs.

Overall looks better.

Better looking icons.

IIS.

More users for Windows.

InkBall.

We got GTA

We have a button for PrtScn and it doesn't clutter up space by saving pdfs all about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, ********? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!
-lower caSe "S" key not working!!
-Menu bar keeps flashing
-I can't drag and drop!

Looks like your Macs aren't perfect after all.

There is no graphics application for the Mac that can do what WinImages can -- not even close.

lacks the rite click options of windows.

OS X86 has had MANY problems , cause of hardware incompatibility.

COM/ActiveX and .NET for productivity?

Buy a computer for less than $500

hardware upgrades are easier on windows.?

HotelUser
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
i was bored so i'm going rip the chart.
Real Plug and Play. - windows support more standerd plug and play and macs require drivers anything that requires drivers on windows would also require drivers on mac.

Fewer security holes. mac market share: 10% windows market share: 90% wonder why theres less know holes..

Better user interface. for the newbie users ect but for more advanced users xp and vista are better.

Quartz graphics layer - antialiasing, built in PDF, smoothed fonts, 128X128 icons, transparencies, drop shadows, genie effect, GPU accelerated GUI, cursor casts its own shadow, no bit-maps :mad: . can all be done in windows xp & vista

Multiprocessor support. XP Home doesn't have it. - xp home service package 2 does and same with proffessional and vista

iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iCal, iSync, iChat - windows has there own version of each and there alot more advanced with alot more addons.

Multi-threaded Finder.

Actual CD burning support out of the box. - windows has that, to do more advanced burning you may need nero or something but you would on a mac too.

Columns view.

Rendezvous.
Inkwell.
Microsoft Office v.X - it's made by Microsoft off course windows has it.

Spring-loaded folders.

Plug and Play networking. - again that has nothing really to do with windows it's to do with the manufacture of the routers ect.

Animated folder icons.

Multi-threaded boot.

Keychain.

CURPS printing

No product key activation. that makes it less secure with greater chance of piracy?

The Dock

No Wizards.

No Yellow dogs.

No Fisher Price.

Full keyboard access.

Hide Application command

Save as PDF.

Software updating that isn't done through IE. - IE is just fine to update with

Universal Access.

QuickTime isn't slow on a Mac. quicktime sucks.

Easy to hide any tool bar. same with windows.

Dragging a program's folder or icon to the trash actually deletes it. that's stupid what if i just wanted to delete the icon or the program folder and keep the records of the program for later.

Previews in the Finder.

WayWayWay more programs.

Overall looks better.

Better looking icons.

IIS.

More users for Windows.

InkBall.

We got GTA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, ********? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!
-lower caSe "S" key not working!!
-Menu bar keeps flashing
-I can't drag and drop!

Looks like your Macs aren't perfect after all.

There is no graphics application for the Mac that can do what WinImages can -- not even close.

lacks the rite click options of windows.

OS X86 has had MANY problems , cause of hardware incompatibility.

COM/ActiveX and .NET for productivity?

Buy a computer for less than $500

hardware upgrades are easier on windows.?

Shall I thank you in advanced for taking my windows chart and one of my answers?

DaveTaylor
01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Lets just say, if you have had a blue screen on windows, its because its windows, never heard of such thing for a mac...

Technologic
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
WIndows Vista is a lot better than OsX but OSX is a lot better than Xp..

Vista can run a lot more programs simultaneously than OSX can..

Up to 90 movies at once.. Not that anybody would want to do that...

Fez
02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Apple has it's design
Windows has it's software

PROMBLEM SOLVED
CASE CLOSED
CONDRUM ANALYSUSED
MONIES TRANSFERED

Technologic
02-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes but having design doesn't make it the better OS.

I suppose Apple is good for art students and musicians but that's it really.

Windows is more widely used, has more porgrams and it's security is improving..

Apple computers have hardly any seurity so viruses made for them get on straight away :l

Fez
02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
If the MAC is for creative people and Windows is for bussiness. What about home?

I think MAC is great at home, allows the kids to use Apple's exclusive software for fun.

Windows is still good nontheless, but it's software is out too much.

There already developing Xenoaphra? Another version of XP with fancy doodads. I don't think Vista was worth it tbh.

MS need to concrentrate on what's happening now and stop thinking ahead.

Apple need to ummm how do I put this

GOTTA, GOTTA , GOTTA GET MY HEAD IN THE GAME
GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA GET YOUR IN THE GAME

With thar software

daftmoo
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi there,

Being niether art student nor musician, but Mac-user(-fanboy?) nonetheless, I am bewildered by this generic stereotypical view of what OS is good for which person. Everyones computing needs are different - there are some artists which will prefer the concise and no-eye-candy style of XP/Vista, and others that do. The only "group" of users that should probably steer clear of the Mac platform are gamers: gaming development on the Mac certainly is not as established as that on Windows.

Niether is really better than the other at any particular thing. It is yet to be seen if OS X's virus-free existance is dependant solely on obscurity, or if it's UNIX-core is what is holding strong. One thing is for certain however: Windows users with an Internet connection are pretty much going to have more viruses than the none that us Mac users get.

Each have pretty similar features in most respects: Windows Search vs. Spotlight, Explorer vs. Finder, Gadgets vs. Widgets - there is only one critical difference to note. Mac OS X is application-centric, rather than being document-centric, like Windows.

That means that when you close the last window open in an application, you are pretty much certain that the application has closed in Windows. In Mac OS X however, you must quit the application (with the exeption of a few one-window programs) in order for it to close.

Basically, anyone who says "OH I USE MAC AND ITS WAY BETTER" or "WINDOWS FOR LYPHE!!!@2!!!!1111!!!!!" is simply too narrow minded to see the benefits of different tools and applications for different people. I can only advise that you walk into an Apple Store and PC World and try out the different features. That way YOU will know which to chose.

-Stephen

(P.S. - telling a software company not to look ahead is probably the most illogical thing I have heard today. A company which doesn't look ahead is likely to be insolvent.)

HotelUser
03-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi there,

Being niether art student nor musician, but Mac-user(-fanboy?) nonetheless, I am bewildered by this generic stereotypical view of what OS is good for which person. Everyones computing needs are different - there are some artists which will prefer the concise and no-eye-candy style of XP/Vista, and others that do. The only "group" of users that should probably steer clear of the Mac platform are gamers: gaming development on the Mac certainly is not as established as that on Windows.

Niether is really better than the other at any particular thing. It is yet to be seen if OS X's virus-free existance is dependant solely on obscurity, or if it's UNIX-core is what is holding strong. One thing is for certain however: Windows users with an Internet connection are pretty much going to have more viruses than the none that us Mac users get.

Each have pretty similar features in most respects: Windows Search vs. Spotlight, Explorer vs. Finder, Gadgets vs. Widgets - there is only one critical difference to note. Mac OS X is application-centric, rather than being document-centric, like Windows.

That means that when you close the last window open in an application, you are pretty much certain that the application has closed in Windows. In Mac OS X however, you must quit the application (with the exeption of a few one-window programs) in order for it to close.

Basically, anyone who says "OH I USE MAC AND ITS WAY BETTER" or "WINDOWS FOR LYPHE!!!@2!!!!1111!!!!!" is simply too narrow minded to see the benefits of different tools and applications for different people. I can only advise that you walk into an Apple Store and PC World and try out the different features. That way YOU will know which to chose.

-Stephen

(P.S. - telling a software company not to look ahead is probably the most illogical thing I have heard today. A company which doesn't look ahead is likely to be insolvent.)

Though OSX is nice I just find Windows better, sure OSX is unique but Windows has more to offer.

As for what you said regarding games, very true. But I would say the same goes for applications on mac too, they just- lack..

As for the viruses thing, I am on Windows Vista 0 viruses. I have an up to date virus scanner and don't go on dangerous websites.

If the MAC is for creative people and Windows is for bussiness. What about home?

I think MAC is great at home, allows the kids to use Apple's exclusive software for fun.

Windows is still good nontheless, but it's software is out too much.

There already developing Xenoaphra? Another version of XP with fancy doodads. I don't think Vista was worth it tbh.

MS need to concrentrate on what's happening now and stop thinking ahead.

Apple need to ummm how do I put this

GOTTA, GOTTA , GOTTA GET MY HEAD IN THE GAME
GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA GET YOUR IN THE GAME

With thar software

Eww... Don't bring that awful song from that awful movie into this debate..

Windows is business and home.

Lets just say, if you have had a blue screen on windows, its because its windows, never heard of such thing for a mac...

If you have a blue screen of death it is because you did something you should not of done, I don't do bad things, I don't get them.

GommeInc
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Though OSX is nice I just find Windows better, sure OSX is unique but Windows has more to offer.

As for what you said regarding games, very true. But I would say the same goes for applications on mac too, they just- lack..

As for the viruses thing, I am on Windows Vista 0 viruses. I have an up to date virus scanner and don't go on dangerous websites.

Eww... Don't bring that awful song from that awful movie into this debate..

Windows is business and home.

If you have a blue screen of death it is because you did something you should not of done, I don't do bad things, I don't get them.
You seem to hit the nail on the head everytime. If you get virus', the blue screen of death etc, it is your fault for visiting websites you are definitely not sure or beggaring about with the computer when you know you shouldn't. I have to admit, on my XP I did kinda play in the Registry Editor which maybe why it had a few issues, but they got resolved quickly.

Also, whoever says XP and Vista are the same, they're highly mistaken. I got this new Vista PC yesterday and I have used Vista before because I set up my brothers computer. They're different, 'easier' to use and look alot better than XP. I also find that the plug and play on a Vista is alot better than, other than the few minor issues with Wireless Internet Adaptors or Printers, but it takes next to no effort to download up-to-date drivers (or mostly up-to-date) for Vista from a companies website. I also find the compatibility feature when you right click on an .exe or toher application extremely useful. I installed one of my games through it.

HotelUser
06-08-2007, 03:19 AM
You seem to hit the nail on the head everytime. If you get virus', the blue screen of death etc, it is your fault for visiting websites you are definitely not sure or beggaring about with the computer when you know you shouldn't. I have to admit, on my XP I did kinda play in the Registry Editor which maybe why it had a few issues, but they got resolved quickly.

Also, whoever says XP and Vista are the same, they're highly mistaken. I got this new Vista PC yesterday and I have used Vista before because I set up my brothers computer. They're different, 'easier' to use and look alot better than XP. I also find that the plug and play on a Vista is alot better than, other than the few minor issues with Wireless Internet Adaptors or Printers, but it takes next to no effort to download up-to-date drivers (or mostly up-to-date) for Vista from a companies website. I also find the compatibility feature when you right click on an .exe or toher application extremely useful. I installed one of my games through it.

XP is nice but if you've used Vista, you will like it.

That doesn't go for everyone though, Vista is nothing less than fantastic.

Wig44.
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes but having design doesn't make it the better OS.

I suppose Apple is good for art students and musicians but that's it really.

Windows is more widely used, has more porgrams and it's security is improving..

Apple computers have hardly any seurity so viruses made for them get on straight away :l

You couldn't be more wrong. It is true, viruses aren't made to target macs because of their market share, but if 50% of the market was windows and 50% mac, I can assure you, mac would cope better against viruses.

darkchicken101
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Look at it from this angle:

Say Windows has a 90% install base, and Mac has a 10% install base. That means Windows has 9x more installs to either: Go wrong, have people do stupid things to it (Like install Kaaza, Blockchecker or go on **** websites) or delete things they shouldn't. It means that there are 9x more people to get blue screens or mess the whole thing up. If roles were reversed, I'm sure it would be people ******** about Mac saying "DERE R 2 MANI VIRUSSES!!1" or "MAK IZ BAD!!!1 BLUE SKREEENZ!".

In short, there just aren't enough people using Mac to discover the problems it has.

GommeInc
06-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Say Windows has a 90% install base, and Mac has a 10% install base. That means Windows has 9x more installs to either: Go wrong, have people do stupid things to it (Like install Kaaza, Blockchecker or go on **** websites) or delete things they shouldn't. It means that there are 9x more people to get blue screens or mess the whole thing up. If roles were reversed, I'm sure it would be people ******** about Mac saying "DERE R 2 MANI VIRUSSES!!1" or "MAK IZ BAD!!!1 BLUE SKREEENZ!".

In short, there just aren't enough people using Mac to discover the problems it has.
Excellently worded and answers the question about Mac and Windows market shares.

Colin-Roberts
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. It is true, viruses aren't made to target macs because of their market share, but if 50% of the market was windows and 50% mac, I can assure you, mac would cope better against viruses.
thats a loud of crap theres no physic proof to back up that claim.

HotelUser
06-08-2007, 11:08 PM

You can assure me can you? First of all Mac will not get 50% of the market in our life time, second Windows already copes with viruses great.

Yep, good post. I'm doubting the people pro mac here wont tell us the flaws of macs, though there are many.

Etusivu
08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
thats a loud of crap theres no physic proof to back up that claim.

Every time you try to use Installer to install applications, you get prompted for your password.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/751871095672837/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/75187/75187_2.gif

So, really; you'd know if something was trying to sneak in by installing itself. You don't need to give a password if you're just carrying out the common method of mounting the drive, and then copying it over, however.

Colin-Roberts
08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
it does sometihng like that in vista. + it could be hacked if there was enough intrest in macs for hackers to bother.

Viruses that have got past my security:

Mac Pro Virus: 3 - 4 (Norton Anti Virus For Mac , Adware, Mccafe ) (A couple were from when i first got it it didn't have any security suites except the built in stuff)

Windows: 1 - 2 (Norton Anti virus , Norton internet security, ad-ware) (Came with Norton on it)

Both computers are used pretty even. There used for the same things mostly (except gaming) , i would say that shows a pretty close tie in the amount of virus for each (if you count out the couple from before i installed norton on the mac)

YoManGo!
11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
people who have mac computers get beaten up at school.

Technologic
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
people who have mac computers get beaten up at school.

o.o Serious:S:S:S

Tha's weird.
I'd still say windows as it's got more capability than mac, plus it's adverts don't poke fun at anybody :eusa_whis

velocity
12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
"Windows already copes with viruses great."

LOLLLL, after growing up with pc's i can honestly say i cant wait to transfer to my mac, pc's can do whatever they want to their customers. because they already own most of the market and people wont know any different, however mac take peoples opinions into consideration anyway and make a machine that works.

GommeInc
12-08-2007, 12:17 PM

LOLLLL, after growing up with pc's i can honestly say i cant wait to transfer to my mac, pc's can do whatever they want to their customers. because they already own most of the market and people wont know any different, however mac take peoples opinions into consideration anyway and make a machine that works.
And so does Windoes :rolleyes: Mac doesn't take peoples opinions into consideration, they look at their own opinions and other systems for new ideas. Lynux, Xerox etc.

Also, you must be a pretty crap computer user if you get viruses. My new Vista PC hasn't had one yet... And Windows do cope well with viruses, you don't need to get a new one after a virus (unless you're stupid and need to because you can't figure out how to fix issues) and they're extremely easy to get rid of, unless, again you're stupid.

Fez
12-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Both of them are flawed I guess... but I'd go for Mac

HotelUser
13-08-2007, 12:01 AM

And this has to do with viruses? I am PC with 0 because I have the correct antivirus software.

Fez
14-08-2007, 10:45 PM
This should've been closed

Pitch
16-08-2007, 10:16 PM
And so does Windoes :rolleyes: Mac doesn't take peoples opinions into consideration, they look at their own opinions and other systems for new ideas. Lynux, Xerox etc.

Also, you must be a pretty crap computer user if you get viruses. My new Vista PC hasn't had one yet... And Windows do cope well with viruses, you don't need to get a new one after a virus (unless you're stupid and need to because you can't figure out how to fix issues) and they're extremely easy to get rid of, unless, again you're stupid.

Well, clearly your proving yourself wrong with your obnoxious posts again. If it is so hard to get a virus on vista, why is there need to improve it? Unfortunately for microsoft, not everyone will become so amazing at computers as you claim to be, because not everyone is as amazingly skilled person as you seem to think you are, wow, you havent had a virus on VISTA, here, take my house. This again is down to dates, microsoft are introducing features that OS X has had for 3 years, if apple stole from other companies (legal cases to prove?), then please dont even waste a second of breath on saying microsoft havent. VISTA is OS X the way bill gates would like it, with a windows sticker on it. This debate isnt fair, as your comparing something that has been in development for years, and recently released with something that was released 3 years ago, and 3 years in the technology age is along time. As your so marvellous at computers, perhaps you could explain to me how you are so dead-set against macs, have you used them? Is it the interface, or the fact that they arent as big as microsoft, so clearly arent as good? Ford sell millions of cars more than bentley, and bentley have a fraction of the market share of cars, which car is better?
I'll just sum up what the difference is in a simple sentence that you, mr computer genius himself can laugh at because it doesnt have punctuation in, which you clearly love:

Microsoft is for christmas, OS X is for life.

GommeInc
16-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, clearly your proving yourself wrong with your obnoxious posts again. If it is so hard to get a virus on vista, why is there need to improve it?
Why is there a need to improve OS X? See, your post was as dumb, possibly dumber than mine "/

Unfortunately for microsoft, not everyone will become so amazing at computers as you claim to be, because not everyone is as amazingly skilled person as you seem to think you are, wow, you havent had a virus on VISTA, here, take my house.
You have to be skilled to install an anti-virus, firewall and the optional spyware remover?! Wow, Apple Macs really are for dumb people if they cannot do that simple task O.o Yay free house :D I bet it doesn't have windows :rolleyes:

This again is down to dates, microsoft are introducing features that OS X has had for 3 years, if apple stole from other companies (legal cases to prove?), then please dont even waste a second of breath on saying microsoft havent.
What features are Windows stealing from Apple? To be honest, Apple have done far worse crimes than that. Stealing Creative Tech for the iPod, pretty much copying the whole Mac OS off of Xerox, using the iPhone name which has been used by a company who created a VoIP phone... The list is endless. Microsoft probably has, but they're not exactly stealing, they're gaining innovative ideas off of another company, unlike Apple that actually STEAL.

VISTA is OS X the way bill gates would like it, with a windows sticker on it. This debate isnt fair, as your comparing something that has been in development for years, and recently released with something that was released 3 years ago, and 3 years in the technology age is along time.
I am nearly certain Bll Gates left Microsoft, and he is a much nicer person than Steve Jobs, who is so mentally deluded that he thinks putting more in OS X is making it better, people want more out, so they can it their system, not his. Why isn't it fair? You just woffled something which made no sense "/

As your so marvellous at computers, perhaps you could explain to me how you are so dead-set against macs, have you used them? Is it the interface, or the fact that they arent as big as microsoft, so clearly arent as good? Ford sell millions of cars more than bentley, and bentley have a fraction of the market share of cars, which car is better?
Because I can get better off a Mac than a PC. I play games for example, which are most likely compatible with a PC than they are a Mac. Microsoft doesn't belittle the competition with half-witted advertisements which make the biggest load of dog doo doo I have seen in years. I go with the smart company, not the affraid of competiton company.

Vista isn't perfect, infact it annoys me sometimes and yesterday I considered Macs, but then I remembered that what I have, Macs can't support. The problem was with my Creative X-Fi soundcard, but that problemw as solved yesterday at some point. I doubt I could get any better music quality out of a Mac which can't take a Creative X-Fi Soundcard card, than with my Vista PC.

I'll just sum up what the difference is in a simple sentence that you, mr computer genius himself can laugh at because it doesnt have punctuation in, which you clearly love:

Microsoft is for christmas, OS X is for life.
And that claim is based on... What? That comment is so dumb I don't even have an answer for it "/ How are they not for life? They're doing very well by the looks of it "/ Why the dumb, thoughtless comment? I use my PC everyday, I used my old PC everyday until I decided to get a new one and that was for Christmas? If you buy a Mac for Christmas, you have to buy a new one when a new version comes out, so that is certainly not for life "/ Are all Mac people just dumb, or is it just you?

Pitch
16-08-2007, 11:14 PM

Why is there a need to improve OS X? See, your post was as dumb, possibly dumber than mine "/

You have to be skilled to install an anti-virus, firewall and the optional spyware remover?! Wow, Apple Macs really are for dumb people if they cannot do that simple task O.o Yay free house :D I bet it doesn't have windows :rolleyes:

What features are Windows stealing from Apple? To be honest, Apple have done far worse crimes than that. Stealing Creative Tech for the iPod, pretty much copying the whole Mac OS off of Xerox, using the iPhone name which has been used by a company who created a VoIP phone... The list is endless. Microsoft probably has, but they're not exactly stealing, they're gaining innovative ideas off of another company, unlike Apple that actually STEAL.

I am nearly certain Bll Gates left Microsoft, and he is a much nicer person than Steve Jobs, who is so mentally deluded that he thinks putting more in OS X is making it better, people want more out, so they can it their system, not his. Why isn't it fair? You just woffled something which made no sense "/

Because I can get better off a Mac than a PC. I play games for example, which are most likely compatible with a PC than they are a Mac. Microsoft doesn't belittle the competition with half-witted advertisements which make the biggest load of dog doo doo I have seen in years. I go with the smart company, not the affraid of competiton company.

Vista isn't perfect, infact it annoys me sometimes and yesterday I considered Macs, but then I remembered that what I have, Macs can't support. The problem was with my Creative X-Fi soundcard, but that problemw as solved yesterday at some point. I doubt I could get any better music quality out of a Mac which can't take a Creative X-Fi Soundcard card, than with my Vista PC.

And that claim is based on... What? That comment is so dumb I don't even have an answer for it "/ How are they not for life? They're doing very well by the looks of it "/ Why the dumb, thoughtless comment? I use my PC everyday, I used my old PC everyday until I decided to get a new one and that was for Christmas? If you buy a Mac for Christmas, you have to buy a new one when a new version comes out, so that is certainly not for life "/ Are all Mac people just dumb, or is it just you?

If the new OS isnt out by xmas you get a free express upgrade, the claim is based on the fact that they outwitted microsoft for 3 years, and with the new OS will again push the boundries further; They arent improving OS X, they are replacing it, as it is 3 years old, and must i repeat AGAIN tha 3 years is A LONG time in the technology industry.

GommeInc
16-08-2007, 11:20 PM
If the new OS isnt out by xmas you get a free express upgrade, the claim is based on the fact that they outwitted microsoft for 3 years, and with the new OS will again push the boundries further; They arent improving OS X, they are replacing it, as it is 3 years old, and must i repeat AGAIN tha 3 years is A LONG time in the technology industry.
No... It's updating it... Because your argument was with the idea that they updated XP into Vista, which is like Mac OS X into whatever the next version of OS X is. Don't bother arguing, if you can't stick to your central argument "/ And let me guess, the new version will be as pointless as the last? What sort of system is that, which you can't customise yourself with your own choice of programs? iLife is a waste of space, and can be replaced by better programs. Vista is smooth and has the basics built in, because you really only need the basics until you decided to get a more professional, powerful program. In 'Pictures' or any folder with pictures in, you have the obtion or tweaking the images with the contrast tool which fixes the contrast (obviously). You don't need a whole suite to do basic editing, especially at the start "/ Loads of people won't have a use for iLife, especially if what they need can be found better in Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 where they can do extremely powerful editing. I take photographs often, and I use Photoshop CS2, it's not on this new PC but the built-in editing stuff is enough for me to do some editing "/ I don't need some stupidly big suite to do my work.

Also, when Microsoft update their systems, they send out FREE Service Packs, which is what Vista will be getting when they release Service Pack 1, which will solve some minor problems with compatibility and a few tiny issues with plug and play, which already works with most devices and hardware. Security will also be updated with the update, which does a good enough job for me because it works next to my anti-virus and firewall "/

So why, again, does Apple need to update the Mac OS X? It isn't upgrading, you're pathetic attempt at avoiding that didn't work.

And how did they outwit Microsoft? Microsoft have out witted them for years "/ Look at how great they're doing and getting greater still "/ I don't see Macs allowing ALL games that Microsoft support and I certainly don't see Mac allowing other companies to have a fair share of business. Apple are affraid of competition, the whole system shows that.

Pitch
16-08-2007, 11:36 PM
No... It's updating it... Because your argument was with the idea that they updated XP into Vista, which is like Mac OS X into whatever the next version of OS X is. Don't bother arguing, if you can't stick to your central argument "/ And let me guess, the new version will be as pointless as the last? What sort of system is that, which you can't customise yourself with your own choice of programs? iLife is a waste of space, and can be replaced by better programs. Vista is smooth and has the basics built in, because you really only need the basics until you decided to get a more professional, powerful program. In 'Pictures' or any folder with pictures in, you have the obtion or tweaking the images with the contrast tool which fixes the contrast (obviously). You don't need a whole suite to do basic editing, especially at the start "/ Loads of people won't have a use for iLife, especially if what they need can be found better in Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 where they can do extremely powerful editing. I take photographs often, and I use Photoshop CS2, it's not on this new PC but the built-in editing stuff is enough for me to do some editing "/ I don't need some stupidly big suite to do my work.

Also, when Microsoft update their systems, they send out FREE Service Packs, which is what Vista will be getting when they release Service Pack 1, which will solve some minor problems with compatibility and a few tiny issues with plug and play, which already works with most devices and hardware. Security will also be updated with the update, which does a good enough job for me because it works next to my anti-virus and firewall "/

So why, again, does Apple need to update the Mac OS X? It isn't upgrading, you're pathetic attempt at avoiding that didn't work.

And how did they outwit Microsoft? Microsoft have out witted them for years "/ Look at how great they're doing and getting greater still "/ I don't see Macs allowing ALL games that Microsoft support and I certainly don't see Mac allowing other companies to have a fair share of business. Apple are affraid of competition, the whole system shows that.

Im glad you know what my ideas are without me saying them, obviously your wonderful-ness has expanded to the real world too now. So im pathetic, aww, i guess i deserve it for trying to put my views over, after all what am i just an idiot who got sucked in by advertising? excuse me whilst i blow my balls off. Ive liked apples look-wise, feature-wise and generally better than computers since i first saw them, and since i first borrowed my uncles powerbook g4, those laptops are especially hot. I wont bother trying to post more stuff now, all you want is to try and somehow make me appear dumb, well you can do that to yourself by replying to this with something about looks not being important.. As vain as it is, in todays world looks are important in everything, and to deny that, confirms it is you who is stupid, and not i. Wow, free upgrades? Windows dont do upgrades, they do patches and security fixes.

GommeInc
16-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Im glad you know what my ideas are without me saying them, obviously your wonderful-ness has expanded to the real world too now. So im pathetic, aww, i guess i deserve it for trying to put my views over, after all what am i just an idiot who got sucked in by advertising? excuse me whilst i blow my balls off.
What you said was pathetic, not yourself. Upgrading (or updating) happens on both systems, you ask why Vista (that oh so perfect) needs upgrading yet why does Mac if that is oh so perfect? Also, your view is your view, but what your view is about is mis-guided at best "/

Ive liked apples look-wise, feature-wise and generally better than computers since i first saw them, and since i first borrowed my uncles powerbook g4, those laptops are especially hot.
They're just looks, Macs, they don't offer anything spectacular and most of stuff in a Mac is just programs. Vista has loads of simple editing things literally built-in to the windows. You can edit the details of songs, edit photos using the basic tools which most people need anyway without these bulky programs found in iLife.

I wont bother trying to post more stuff now, all you want is to try and somehow make me appear dumb, well you can do that to yourself by replying to this with something about looks not being important.. As vain as it is, in todays world looks are important in everything, and to deny that, confirms it is you who is stupid, and not i.
Actually, most people who base what they find on looks buy clothes or anything that can change their own appearance. With a computer or Mac, the looks play very little, you need a system which does what it says on the tin and not what the tin looks like. So you must be pretty dumb if you buy something with an 'i' infront. Besides, most PCs aren't ugly "/ What makes an ugly PC anyway? Artistic is more of the word... The looks of the user interface, however, are stylish on a Vista and a Mac. Personally I prefer the Vista interface.

So you would buy dog faeces if it was shaped in an artistic way which you like? Faeces is faeces, no matter what it looks like.

Wow, free upgrades? Windows dont do upgrades, they do patches and security fixes.
Which are updates/upgrades :rolleyes:, because they are upgrading the services which they provide you. Jeez, no sense.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!