View Full Version : Big news on Mario Party 8 - Why was it removed froms shelves

PaulMacC
14-07-2007, 04:13 PM
The game was set to be released in the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) on July 13, 2007 after a previous delay, but was reportedly withdrawn from game shelves because the game includes the word "****tic *had to respell cause of filter*," which is considered an offensive word in the United Kingdom.
The word was in the American version of the game, however the word is generally considered as innocuous in America.
In a press release, Nintendo gave the reason for the withdrawal as an "assembly error."
The release of the game in the United Kingdom has been temporarily suspended until further notice. Nintendo-Europe have said "We will re-launch Mario Party 8 in the UK as soon as possible and will announce a new launch date shortly." [3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Party_8#_note-0)
There is no confirmation whether Nintendo will remove the "offensive word" from the game or not. It is also unknown whether the "error" will affect the Australian or release of the game too, as Australia and United Kingdom both use same versions of the game.
Also, recently a Nintendo DS game developed by Ubisoft was recalled because it contained the exact same "offensive word" as the one in question in Mario Party 8.

Luckily I got mine on release day and I'm not trading it in over a dumb word. The game by Ubisoft was one of those Brian Training things.

Non-bolded from Wikipedia.org

CrazyColaist
14-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Thats wikipedia anyone can edit it.

PaulMacC
14-07-2007, 05:54 PM
But it actually was removed from the shelves and the game does contain the word ****tic.

Mitch4?
14-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Well i got mine yesterday about 5pm in game. I played for 3 hours, then big brother came on. I didn't see that word. :/

Rizter
14-07-2007, 06:45 PM
what is the age rating for the game? 3+ ?

PaulMacC
14-07-2007, 06:55 PM
3+ yer

Juch
15-07-2007, 02:59 PM
i have it, where does it say that word?

madmike666
15-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Apparently they took it off the shelvs "coz it was crap". Well thats what ive heard of a lot of people.

And i gota say, it did get a crap review in Nintendo Magazine.

Neversoft
15-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Sell your copy on ebay. 'MARIO PARTY 8 WII GAME - REMOVED FROM SHELVES - CONTAINS THE WORD ****TIC' I bet a load of idiots would bid. :P

Apparently they took it off the shelvs "coz it was crap". Well thats what ive heard of a lot of people.

And i gota say, it did get a crap review in Nintendo Magazine.

In ONM? ONM are biased in their reviews. I read on the ONM forum a thread about loads of people complaining that it was actually a rather fun game.

Oni
15-07-2007, 06:01 PM
In ONM? ONM are biased in their reviews. I read on the ONM forum a thread about loads of people complaining that it was actually a rather fun game.
I would say they are pretty unbaised towards it, you'd expect them to be baised the other was as they were looking forward too it but then it turned out ****.

Neversoft
15-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I would say they are pretty unbaised towards it, you'd expect them to be baised the other was as they were looking forward too it but then it turned out ****.

Well I've been buying the Offical Nintendo Magazines for ages now and I've seen alot of difference between NOM & ONM. NOM were much more unbiased when it came to reviews. (I hope you know what I'm on about :p)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!