PDA

View Full Version : is it just me, or is hip-hop getting really bad?

liquid
26-07-2007, 05:29 PM
okok, so i used to like indie and hip-hop music the same, but every urban release this year is just sounding crap or not at all urban.

dizzee rascal's new album for a start, it's got lily allen and alex turner on it? i love both them artists, but they just don't sound right on a grime track, and just make it sound poppy. same as kano's new album, which has got kate nash, craig david and damon albarn on it. pretty much the same with lethal bizzle, who has collaborated with punk band gallows on a new song, and who is also supporting every popular indie band imaginable on their live tours.

same is happening on the other side of the world. kanye west's new song 'stronger' is dodgy, and uses daft punk in it. if the rest of the album is the same, it'll be crap. timbaland's new album was pretty good, but had some downright weird tracks featuring fall out boy and the hives. t.i.'s new album didn't feature any artists from other genre's, but it was crap.

sure, all of this sells records, but hip-hop should of stayed true to its roots to keep its real fans instead of converting pop and rock fans.

(don't care if there's no response, just wanted to get that off my chest!)

JoeyK.
26-07-2007, 05:30 PM
It's not getting really bad.

It always was utter crap.

liquid
26-07-2007, 05:39 PM

to simply say that all hip-hop ever is utter crap is pretty idiotic.

JoeyK.
26-07-2007, 05:43 PM
to simply say that all hip-hop ever is utter crap is pretty idiotic.
It's all a matter of opinion, and personally I dislike all hip-hop because... Quite simply, I don't like listening to it, I think it's crap.

I can state my own opinion if I like ;)

liquid
26-07-2007, 05:47 PM
It's all a matter of opinion, and personally I dislike all hip-hop because... Quite simply, I don't like listening to it, I think it's crap.

I can state my own opinion if I like ;)
yeah and i stated mine - i think you're idiotic for saying it's all crap.

there's music i don't like, but i wouldn't call it 'utter crap' just because i don't like it.

JoeyK.
26-07-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah and i stated mine - i think you're idiotic for saying it's all crap.

there's music i don't like, but i wouldn't call it 'utter crap' just because i don't like it.
You asked if it was getting worse -- My answer was no because I always thought it was terrible. You asked, I answered, simple as that... A tad rude calling someone idiotic for saying something against a type of music they don't like imo.

But, I suppose you're just as entitled to have your own opinion of me as I am entitled to my own opinion of hip-hop.

Anyway, I dislike wasting my time arguing online, as nothing really comes out of it, & I'm sure you'll agree, so let's leave it at that ;)

Browney
26-07-2007, 05:52 PM
All that stuff you mentioned has to be better than gangsta rap like 50 Cent.

Jõnathan
26-07-2007, 06:36 PM
dizzee rascal's new album for a start, it's got lily allen and alex turner on it? i love both them artists, but they just don't sound right on a grime track, and just make it sound poppy. same as kano's new album, which has got kate nash, craig david and damon albarn on it. pretty much the same with lethal bizzle, who has collaborated with punk band gallows on a new song, and who is also supporting every popular indie band imaginable on their live tours.
Dizzee's "Temptation" is really just the same as Arctic's "Temptation Greets Your Like Your Naughty Friend.
Dizzee guest vocals on Arctic's, so Alex returns the favour for Dizzee.
But "Wanna Be" is the worst song on the album due to Lily Allen IMO.

liquid
26-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Dizzee's "Temptation" is really just the same as Arctic's "Temptation Greets Your Like Your Naughty Friend.
Dizzee guest vocals on Arctic's, so Alex returns the favour for Dizzee.
But "Wanna Be" is the worst song on the album due to Lily Allen IMO.
yeah everyone absolutely bums off "wanna be" but i think it's awful.

Virgin Mary
26-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Talent-wise, most popular music these days is crap, e.g. Lily Allen. I can't really remember the last 'new' song I liked.

Antallica
26-07-2007, 09:59 PM
its just crap anyway.
my opinion.

samsaBEAR
27-07-2007, 08:31 AM
by bringing in artists from other genres, it can get record sales up. and lets not beat it about the bush, that's all artists care about

liquid
27-07-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah i mentioned that, but i always thought that urban artists were different and cared about the music over the money :(

:Hazel
27-07-2007, 09:05 AM
i dont like hip hop as much as i used to.

samsaBEAR
27-07-2007, 09:07 AM
yeah i mentioned that, but i always thought that urban artists were different and cared about the music over the money :(
yeh, thats the sad thing, a lot of artists these days are in it for the money, not the music

shokz
27-07-2007, 09:17 AM
i have to admit it hip hop is not what it used to be, i cant remember last time 50 cent released a decent track, anyways its just a shame eminem left the buisness

liquid
27-07-2007, 09:19 AM
i have to admit it hip hop is not what it used to be, i cant remember last time 50 cent released a decent track, anyways its just a shame eminem left the buisness
50's new song has got quite a good beat, but the lyrics are just absolute crap.

Simmzay
27-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Guys you're listening to the wrong stuff. I know that specific people have different tastes but the mainstream differs a lot from what I see Hip Hop as.

Try some:
Black Star, Common, KRS One, Wutang and Nas.

alexxxxx
27-07-2007, 10:29 AM
this is all pop-hip-hop, much like pop-punk and emo-pop.

YoManGo!
27-07-2007, 06:38 PM

lolgreebo

this is a pretty good time for hiphop actually, just not in the mainstream. tis a shame it got to dizzee though.

Tranquilox
27-07-2007, 06:51 PM

agreed.

Jõnathan
27-07-2007, 08:10 PM
agreed.
Don't agree with that post.
Make your own opinion.
And I was surprised: YoManGo! hasn't been on lately...
I'd listen to some NWA but I haven't got round to downloading some already.

le harry
28-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I hate Hip-Hop, always have, most likely always will.

Scouse
28-07-2007, 01:13 AM
All that stuff you mentioned has to be better than gangsta rap like 50 Cent.

lol 50 isnt gangsta at all hes released like 2-3 gangsta rap songs and thats about it

and yeah rap is getting awful need the likes of NWA, Snoop, Dre etc..

since Pac has gone it went downhill he was the best rapper and made the best songs if he was still here and the likes of Biggie, Eazy-E etc it would still be like it used to be. specialy since Death Row went out of buisness too.

YoManGo!
28-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't agree with that post.
Make your own opinion.
And I was surprised: YoManGo! hasn't been on lately...
I'd listen to some NWA but I haven't got round to downloading some already.

i was in devon
def get some nwa on the go, it has the added bonus of all the side projects that came with it; so if you like nwa you can start listening to the music the members made by themselves. eazy e was the best, imo.

oh and btw everyone, gangsta rap died in 1996. we moved on, you should too.

Loqo
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I think Stronger by Kanye West is a good song. I do see were your coming from though. Hip-Hop this year has been bad.

Hellspencer
02-08-2007, 09:33 AM
somes good somes not

beth
03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
i was pretty disappointed with maths & english after a few plays and i don't like stronger by kanye, i hope his album is like the last two. i don't even know what to consider hip-hop though without someone putting me straight, so uhm yeah.

although i did like timbaland ft. the hives - throw it on me. i think it's a tune aha.

Simmzay
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Guys, gangster rap isn't Hip Hop. You're criticizing the wrong brand of music when you talk ill of 50 cent, NWA, Snoop Dogg and such. Still no one took notice of my earlier post, try some "Black Star", "Mos Def", "Talib Kweli", "AZ", and "Common Sense". If you still don't like it after that then feel free to criticize Hip Hop.

FlyingJesus
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Children please..... you need Eric B. & Rakim, The Roots, Jay-Z, and other people like that. Yeah Jay-Z is more g rap now I guess but he has a lot of good hip-hop beats. The problem is that you're listening to the wrong artists. Dizzee Rascal was always a fake and has never been good (he's basically "rap" for scene kids), so don't base your views on the entire genre on him.

Simmzay
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Jay-Z only had one good album, his first. But I agree with The Roots and Rakim. Rakim's got (or had) talent.

RedStratocas
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Children please..... you need Eric B. & Rakim, The Roots, Jay-Z, and other people like that. Yeah Jay-Z is more g rap now I guess but he has a lot of good hip-hop beats. The problem is that you're listening to the wrong artists. Dizzee Rascal was always a fake and has never been good (he's basically "rap" for scene kids), so don't base your views on the entire genre on him.

rootsrootsrootsrootsroots<3

liquid
04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
i love the roots album, but that was last year. i'm on about this year :]

shiver
06-08-2007, 10:26 PM
oh i agree wid dis timbaland motion. fall out boy ruined the album, with possibly the worst song ever. luvin scream wid nicole and keri tho :D

FlyingJesus
07-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Hmm haven't been keeping up with music this year too well, have spent my time letting the 90s catch up with me first :P

liquid
07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
haha, the discussion of NWA in this thread gave me a brilliant advert at the top of the forum:

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CMr7_Zr5isa5vwEQ2AUYTzIImZvtrBD9Nuc

RedStratocas
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
i'm actually looking foward to kanye west's new album. he's got a bunch of indie guest stars on it, haha. he sampled daft punk on stronger, rapped over peter bjorn & john, samples thom yorke, and apparently chris martin is a guest singer on it.

Simmzay
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Kanye West, while improving, is still pretty terrible. He should stick to producing.

Gangster
08-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Kanye west aint that bad Can't Tell Me Nothing is a good song.

majesticdragon
09-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Kanye's new album is amazing as is 50cent's but you should go for people like wiley completley ignored cos of the likes of dizzee rascal, also try black the ripper he is amazing I have lost no faith in hip hop at all it's just that nelly and outkast have dissapeared and they were bringing the most tracks out.

omgitslily
09-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't like hip hop full stop anymore, stopped liking it about a year and a half ago.

I have to admit, Kanye West is really good, but it annoys me how he samples a lot of music instead of thinking of his own.

YoManGo!
09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
kanye west is wayyy overrated. i mean his delivery's ok but his flow really sucks.

English
09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
In this thread, I've only seen a few "hip-hop" artists.

Simmzay
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Kanye's new album is amazing as is 50cent's but you should go for people like wiley completley ignored cos of the likes of dizzee rascal, also try black the ripper he is amazing I have lost no faith in hip hop at all it's just that nelly and outkast have dissapeared and they were bringing the most tracks out.
Outkast are teh sex, Andre's one of the best verbalists out there. Even the new "Idlewild" CD is worth listening to.

FlyingJesus
09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Don't like Kanye West really.. he's alright but it just doesn't strike me as anything spectacular. As for sampling; that's what a lot of hiphop artists and rappers do, and it can actually take a lot of skill to do it well.

English
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Don't like Kanye West really.. he's alright but it just doesn't strike me as anything spectacular. As for sampling; that's what a lot of hiphop artists and rappers do, and it can actually take a lot of skill to do it well.
To get samples to "fit" together is a bloody hard job and so mis-understood. People think it's a matter of sampling instruments together and voila, but it's difficult.

Ras
10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
If you dont like stronger check his first single to the album Graduation. Its called "Cant Tell Me Nothing" .. Totally different song then stronger.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!