PDA

View Full Version : [THE BIG WEEKLY QUESTION : 2 WEEK SPECIAL] What's Your Opinion On The Manhunt 2 Ban?

Fez
28-07-2007, 05:59 PM
2 Week Special this week, since it's such a big topic.

Anyway

What's Your Opinion On The Manhunt 2 Ban?

Mine - I think the ban was actually 50% fair and 50% unfair. With the Wii version you can perform those kills and that is what make parent's so worried. They could be thinking 'My child knows how how to rip out a spine from that machine'. I think the ban of the PS2 version was quite unfair, since it's button pressing and that sorta thing.

So thats my opinion, whats yours?

http://play-nintendo.com/update/upload/manhunt2%20boxart.jpg http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/manhunt_2_boxart_sm.jpg

Neil
28-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Should stay banned, the first one cause enough problems as it is, this will just be an even bigger problem

PaulMacC
28-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I wanted to play it so bad.

Josh-H
28-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I think it should stay banned. Especially the wii version as you're actually acting it out with the wiimote. Theres enough ****** up people who would get their hands on it and for our personal safety, I'm glad they can't.

mangle
28-07-2007, 07:31 PM
TBH The only Rockstar games i like are GTA And The Warriors , the Warriors was violent enough :]
Don't rly wanna play manhunt 2 so should stay banned

Aflux
28-07-2007, 07:56 PM
If the first one never caused so much uproar, then I'd be all for it but R* would get in big crap if this one was the same so I'd rather them stay safe because they are my favourite GD.

Jazza
29-07-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't think the government should be allowed to ban any movies or games.

Neil
29-07-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't think the government should be allowed to ban any movies or games.

So you are in favour of (in the wiis case) allowing people to act out fairly easy methods of murder, which could possibly get them to enjoy it and try it out in reality?

Homesrfan
29-07-2007, 02:38 AM
So you are in favour of (in the wiis case) allowing people to act out fairly easy methods of murder, which could possibly get them to enjoy it and try it out in reality?
Are you considering the possibility of people doing something IN A GAME and then FROM A GAME doing it in real life. I don't understand how using the wiimote makes it a 'murder simulator'. Everyone knows you can murder someone with a knife, and how to do it. If you are shooting someone in a game with a traditional controller, I don't see how that's any different from using motions. You are still aiming at the person and pressing a button to pull a trigger. Just because you give the controller a little waggle to do it, doesn't make it real.

The ban should be lifted on both versions. The government shouldn't be able to ban and censor what we are allowed to view. If adults feel that that can play this game and not go overboard with it... why not? Let parents decide what their kids will play, not the government. Since when does the government become our parents and tells us what we can and can't play. IMO, it's completely ridiculous. If you play a game and like it... it's because it is a game. If a person has no desire to, in this place, harm or kill a person, a game isn't going to suddenly spark that fire.

TBH The only Rockstar games i like are GTA And The Warriors , the Warriors was violent enough :]
Don't rly wanna play manhunt 2 so should stay banned
I don't want to play it so ban it? Come on... answer seriously.

Neil
29-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Are you considering the possibility of people doing something IN A GAME and then FROM A GAME doing it in real life. I don't understand how using the wiimote makes it a 'murder simulator'. Everyone knows you can murder someone with a knife, and how to do it. If you are shooting someone in a game with a traditional controller, I don't see how that's any different from using motions. You are still aiming at the person and pressing a button to pull a trigger. Just because you give the controller a little waggle to do it, doesn't make it real.

The ban should be lifted on both versions. The government shouldn't be able to ban and censor what we are allowed to view. If adults feel that that can play this game and not go overboard with it... why not? Let parents decide what their kids will play, not the government. Since when does the government become our parents and tells us what we can and can't play. IMO, it's completely ridiculous. If you play a game and like it... it's because it is a game. If a person has no desire to, in this place, harm or kill a person, a game isn't going to suddenly spark that fire.

I don't want to play it so ban it? Come on... answer seriously.

It doesn't matter really, you may know it's just a game but some people are not like that, and some people may get a rush out of killing someone with a plastic bag on the game and may think it'll be as fun doing the real thing, it's not murdering that's the problem it's just ways that people that are a bit messed up in the head may find fun and try and experiment with on real people

Azul
29-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Banning games is ridiculous, when you consider films these days come closer to the real thing than games ever will. If a game inspires a person to kill, then they're likely to kill anyway, they're not like normal people that can tell the difference from a game and reality.

Simmzay
29-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm a firm believer that video games don't influence people to reenact certain aspects of a game in the real world. But that's a debate for another day. As for this game, I don't think it should stay banned although the general theme doesn't appeal to me much.

Blame parental negligence and not game ratings if the wrong people play this game.

Niall!
29-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Selling Manhunt for the Wii from france :P

Na Im not but I am getting it. I may also sell it to desperate UK customers :P (if it works on UK consoles?)

Homesrfan
29-07-2007, 03:39 PM
It doesn't matter really, you may know it's just a game but some people are not like that, and some people may get a rush out of killing someone with a plastic bag on the game and may think it'll be as fun doing the real thing, it's not murdering that's the problem it's just ways that people that are a bit messed up in the head may find fun and try and experiment with on real people
But if someone had no intentions of hurting someone... I don't see them going 'WOW! This is fun! I'm going to go kill someone.' The only way that I kind of see your argument is if someone was already going to kill someone else and they liked it. I don't think a video game is going to push someone over the edge and turn them into a murder. In my mind... it's completely ridiculous.

Fez
29-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I just found out, it wasn't really banned it got a AOS rating (Adults Only) and most retailers have banned it from there stores.

But some retailers are considering selling the game, here's a link to Rockstar saying that they don't care if it got the rating.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/19/rockstar-we-emphatically-disagree-with-uks-manhunt-2-ban/

If you actually want to buy Manhunt 2 then I can send you the links for the PS2 or Wii version, just PM me.

Azul
29-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah I thought so, because the Blockbuster near me are still advertising it, so I believe they'll be selling it.

the wombats
29-07-2007, 04:51 PM
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/3317695/Manhunt-2/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/3321141/Manhunt-2/Product.html

just buy it from there. i don't think it should be banned.

Fez
29-07-2007, 05:01 PM

http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/3321141/Manhunt-2/Product.html

just buy it from there. i don't think it should be banned.
Those were the links I had.

It's due for release on 31/08/07

Bugger

Homesrfan
29-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I just found out, it wasn't really banned it got a AOS rating (Adults Only) and most retailers have banned it from there stores.

But some retailers are considering selling the game, here's a link to Rockstar saying that they don't care if it got the rating.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/19/rockstar-we-emphatically-disagree-with-uks-manhunt-2-ban/

If you actually want to buy Manhunt 2 then I can send you the links for the PS2 or Wii version, just PM me.
The UK and many European countries have banned the game.
It got "AO" in America. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony won't allow AO games on their consoles, so until it gets "M" it can't come out at all.

Fez
29-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Still been sold though

Homesrfan
29-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Still been sold though

But who knows WHEN it's going to come out, much less if it is.
They have to negotiate and get an M rating.

Fez
29-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Manhunt 2

Customer rating: Not yet rated (Not yet rated) | Write a review »
£24.99 Delivered

RRP: £29.99 | You save: £5.00 (16%)

Pre-order | Due for release on 31/08/2007
Add "Manhunt 2" to my basket

31st August it's out

Jazza
29-07-2007, 11:35 PM

If people emulate things in a game that's their fault not the game's creators.

Homesrfan
29-07-2007, 11:47 PM
31st August it's out
Placeholder date.
We'll be lucky if we get it this year.

Fez
30-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Placeholder date.
We'll be lucky if we get it this year.
Hmm.... good point.

I'm thinking of importing it or something.

Homesrfan
30-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Hmm.... good point.

I'm thinking of importing it or something.
You have to have a mod chip then, to play American games.
Europeans are in quite a predicament. :( Hopefully Rockstar can work this out and make the game rated M. Maybe then Europe will accept it.

Fez
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I expect the ban to be lifted very soon.

Rockstar have some very good lawyers....

Ashley 12344
04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I saw a Tonight with Trev McDonald episode where people had being reinacting Manhunt and GTA. Anyone who does this is likely to do so without the game.

I think, people used this as an excuse to 'plea insanity', similar to people using ignorance as an excuse.

Technologic
04-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Let's go and ban all horror movies aswell :l

Ashley 12344
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Let's go and ban all horror movies aswell :l

And anything else the Gov. don't want...

Fez
05-08-2007, 05:04 PM
And anything else the Gov. don't want...
The gov don't want obese children

lol

Homesrfan
06-08-2007, 11:36 PM
The gov don't want obese children

lol
Who actually wants obese children? :P

Fez
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
There cuddly xD

g
09-08-2007, 03:45 AM
should stay banned, them game's scare me :o

reindeer.
09-08-2007, 10:18 AM

what headcase would do that? be realistic, come on. if you are a murderer in waiting you'll most likely be dealing drugs and guns not playing manhunt. i don't understand the difference between this and any other shooter. yes, theres other methods of killing on manhunt, but guns are just as effective - and you see them on the majority of games nowadays. people don't run round the street shouting "OMG GRAW 2, DIE *****!".

You don't realise that these methods are all over the internet already and if anyone wanted to go round murdering people they'd just look on the internet first. you say these methods are 'easy', if they are easy will they not be easy to work out anyway?

Neil
09-08-2007, 10:28 AM
what headcase would do that? be realistic, come on. if you are a murderer in waiting you'll most likely be dealing drugs and guns not playing manhunt. i don't understand the difference between this and any other shooter. yes, theres other methods of killing on manhunt, but guns are just as effective - and you see them on the majority of games nowadays. people don't run round the street shouting "OMG GRAW 2, DIE *****!".

You don't realise that these methods are all over the internet already and if anyone wanted to go round murdering people they'd just look on the internet first. you say these methods are 'easy', if they are easy will they not be easy to work out anyway?

Not everyone in the world is completely normal, people can get large amounts of excitement out of killing someone (why do you think most of them do it) and this game basically gives people very easy methods that you could pretty much do on any busy street, some people don't see games and movies as you and I, they see them and feel that what is happening is real, just because you wouldn't do it and you think it wouldn't happen it doesn't make it so, people have killed under the influence of games because it puts you in control, unlike a movie, people that don't really realise the difference between reality and games/movies may get alot more enjoyment out of Manhunt than most people because there brains don't work quite the way ours do and they're acting out what they do in the game

I'd just like to add, it's not the fact that these methods are easy to perform it's the fact that they are being encouraged in the game, you don't understand that people don't always murder over money/gangs/love but people do murder just for the fun they get out of it, if 15 years old play this (you know they will) they may get ideas, and don't say "but they wont they're grown up enough to know the difference" because it doesn't matter, people that don't know can not know at any age, and I know you've head about things like children in america bringing guns to school and I'm sure you've heard about the childs play killing, mostly because of games like manhunt and movies that are just way too realistic

Edit - Purple guy, I think you should leave these as 1 week things, people can discuss it enough in 1 week I think

mangle
09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Isn't there a gene in you which determines whether you have to potentional to be an axe murderer or w.e?
My science teacher said most of the murderers out there become murderers due to their upbnringing but there is a gene in you which can give you the potentional to kill.

Fez
09-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Edit - Purple guy, I think you should leave these as 1 week things, people can discuss it enough in 1 week I think
Yeah, I guess so. If it's gonna be a really special thing then I'll discuss it in PMs with a few people and see if the special really does deserve two weeks.

Anyway, just a quick preview of whats to come tommorow

If you work it out, free +REP

''THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT"

Neil
09-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I guess so. If it's gonna be a really special thing then I'll discuss it in PMs with a few people and see if the special really does deserve two weeks.

Anyway, just a quick preview of whats to come tommorow

If you work it out, free +REP

''THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT"

Lol GTA4 xD If all goes to plan I probably wont be online much tomorrow :P

Fez
09-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Yup, it's gonna be on the Grand Theft Auto IV Delay...

Fez
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Double Post lol

THREAD HAS SERVED IT'S PURPOSE - ''LOCK THIS THREAD'' IS NOW AVALIBLE TO BUY FOR $0

We've decided the ban should stay, due to the amount of influence of videogame violence that Manhunt 2 will have. Yes the poll has different results, but all of the opinions are worth more than simple clickity clicks.

New BWQ at 9 o'clock

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!