PDA

View Full Version : Waste of money or a stepping stone? - [Closes 18/09/07]

---MAD---
18-08-2007, 12:51 PM
You may or may not know that many countries includes the US, EU and Russia are building a station in space called the International Space Station (ISS). This station is costing the governments 100 billion dollars to build and is set to be completed by 2010.

Do you think this station (ISS) is a stepping stone or simply a waste of money which can be used better else where?

Happy debating :)!

Mr.OSH
18-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Hmm that somewhat depends on the uses for the space station. However the money is likely to be well spent as the governments wouldn't be placing a station there if they did not feel it was going to help them progress in space exploration. :)

Galaxay1
18-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Stepping stone as it will be put to use and could find out net things etc. :P

Alkaz
18-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Well its only £50billion. So its dont sound as bad :P But depending on i feel whats its going to be used for it could be another stepping stone or it could just be another ''new'' station. Something new for them to play with which i wouldnt really want to do with £50billion.

VPSwow
18-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Stepping soon cos i could go move there woo.

On a serious note yes because it should help us find out new things ect.

velocity
18-08-2007, 01:01 PM
its basically investing in research, so if we do need to know anything about space or w/e we will. rather then regret not knowing at all. taxes are already wasted on the lazy people living in my country anyway. so i dont think i'd mind it actually being put to use.

GrebSkeb
18-08-2007, 01:35 PM
As long as they have got biggger launch pads and more saftey checks its a-ok

mangle
18-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I think its a good thing.
People can live there when they're older! Can't it also act as like a half way house for the moon so they could just like , stop off there ?

Lost-Shark
18-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Defo waste of money.

There is NOTHING out there. Just boring blackness and dusty planets!

I dnt care if anyone says otherwise.

N!ck
18-08-2007, 03:35 PM
[B]Defo waste of money.

There is NOTHING out there. Just boring blackness and dusty planets![B]

Says who? How to you know there isn't life out there on one or the other billions of planets/moons?

TehJoshy
18-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Defo waste of money.

Yes, but thats where other people disagree. for all we know there could be, and we are just looking at the wrong area's.

this project could be a great stepping stone.

WarezKid
18-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Defo waste of money.

Right :rolleyes:

So there billions of miles of blackness :eusa_whis

velocity
18-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Defo waste of money.

i beg to differ. space dosent end, so your saying out of the many billions+ of unknown planets theres not another single planet as close as the sun as us, that is capable of withstanding life?

BL!NKEY
18-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Defo waste of money.

It is good.

Space travel and exploration has helped speed up the inventions of new technology.

Digital cameras were created first for taking pictures in space and sending the information down to earth.

Where would we be with out digital cameras?

NO MYSPACE OR FACEBOOK

lol.

and there is probably more inventions if you google it.

ItsDave
18-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Definatley stepping stone. Imagine the endless things we could learn / find out about space. I think its going to be brilliant.

Concentric2
18-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree with the majority of people so far - it's definately worth our time and money to work on expanding into space.

To my mind we're going to want to start colonising areas of space near us in the next century or two, because the changes on Earth won't necessarily be survivable.

kinda negates the point of joining in a debate...

tully4leanne.
18-08-2007, 06:01 PM
the money i reckon could of been spent on something more important like world povity

Pitch
18-08-2007, 06:34 PM
No amount of money will ever solve world poverty, poverty isnt caused by lack of money, its caused by abuse of power.

Its a huge step forward, what have we done, really, space-wise since 1966? Nothing. This sets the base for possible missions to get people on mars, outer planets, and possibly more star-trek type space ships instead of the shuttles we have now, big *uber ships* :D

GhostFace-
18-08-2007, 06:51 PM
WAsteeeeee of $$

Johno
18-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey,

It is mans natural desire to explore, It is a huge stepping stone for us. The new crafts the USA are developing are huge stepping stones also. The ISS will help us reach new parts of space we have never been able to go to before.

The universe will always be what man wants to conquer, We as humans want to see what is out there and we want to keep on searching to find other places to inhabit and to look for extra terrestrial life.

So yeah, In my opinion it is a huge stepping stone for us.

.:; Johno

Shawnstra
19-08-2007, 02:10 AM
It is definitely not a waste of money. The earth cannot last forever, and with it, we can find other planets suitable for us to live on. Also, its always better to have knowledge. With knowledge, we know what to expect, and it might just save humanity. Also, if we meet some other life forms, they might be able to impart some knowledge on us (if they are willing to), and vice versa.

lAdmire
19-08-2007, 06:08 PM
i think this money can be used elsewhere.
like to fix up cities, roads, etc.
there are plenty other things that this money can be used on instead of this.
like a space station in space?
first of all, how is this being built?
that's my question.
no gravity = is this space station being built in the air?

velocity
19-08-2007, 06:09 PM
that's my question.

why yes, yes it is.

WarezKid
19-08-2007, 06:10 PM
that's my question.

we build the roads, Cities while earth is gettin killed ;/

what you gonna do when you got the last 40 days left on earth?

build a space station for 10 billion people :rolleyes:

Mentor
19-08-2007, 07:17 PM
id say a steping stone, although many of its most immpressive sounding experments had to be droped for budget, 130 billion is pretty steep, it was obvously more important to donate 300 billion or so exstra to a few dictator ships around the world so they could buy more weponds and kill more people.
Still that aside the work done up theres still pretty important, although it costs alot the information gathed would be essental if for example we ever needed to start mineing for valuable minerals etc on planets other than earth, now just imagine if the reaserch done up there did allow,somthing like non-terestal mineing that to take place, the income made from it would make these inital costs look like a grain of sand in comparison to jupiter.

Pitch
19-08-2007, 07:38 PM
that's my question.

yes, a space station in space.. as opposed to a space station in pieces.

Aflux
19-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Says who? How to you know there isn't life out there on one or the other billions of planets/moons?

Who's to say there are other billions of stars?

Pitch
19-08-2007, 09:27 PM
the people that found them all

T0M
19-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I think its a stepping stone, but i also think we should develop more techonology to explore the deepest crevaces in the ocean first, as there may be things down their that could be crucial to keeping the earth alive and other endless oppurtunities

Also, to the person who said how do you know there are billions of stars, firstly look into the sky on a dark night, secondly because people have discovered them, and our galaxy is tiny in comparison to some others so there more probably more like trillions of other planets/stars

Mentor
20-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Who's to say there are other billions of stars?

go to a remote location on a clear night and look up... Thats how we know.. keep in mind with the naked eye your seeing about a millioth of a % of the ones we can see when useing a powerful telescope...

xxMATTGxx
20-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I say a stepping stone. It's worth the money and we get to find out new things, invent new technology etc. So the ISS is well worth it.

Jambe
20-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Waste of money by far.. We need the money down here. Although they are bring up laods of facts who cares? all it does is make more fact books we need the money elseware and they are saying theres things out the becuase the found traces of water? wdf? traces of water that dont mean anything?

Concentric2
20-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Waste of money by far.. We need the money down here. Although they are bring up laods of facts who cares? all it does is make more fact books we need the money elseware and they are saying theres things out the becuase the found traces of water? wdf? traces of water that dont mean anything?
I agree with you on the water thing (who's to say that other life forms don't drink acid or something), but we're thinking long term progress for mankind here - do you propose we stay on the Earth forever? We're going to start running out of resources and space, and i would predict the climate will become ever more adverse.

:Hazel
20-08-2007, 12:21 PM
i think we could do with the money here on earth where WE exist as humans, never mind space where there is no solid evidence of life whatsoever.

WarezKid
20-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Just a quick question

why dont the gov do it for free, They MAKE money :S?

velocity
20-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Just a quick question

why dont the gov do it for free, They MAKE money :S?
yeah, off us.

WarezKid
20-08-2007, 01:22 PM
yeah, off us.

And how do we get the money :rolleyes:

From the gov -.-

velocity
20-08-2007, 01:26 PM
And how do we get the money :rolleyes:

From the gov -.-
they cant just 'make as much money' as they like. do you have any idea how much that would screw up the economy? after pumping excess millions into the UK, they are confined as to how much cash they can produce ;s

WarezKid
20-08-2007, 01:31 PM
True -.-

but they should make it for free (the spaceship)

Pitch
20-08-2007, 01:51 PM
i dont think you understand how things work.. If the government just made as much money as it wanted to, the money wouldnt truly be worth the paper its printed on, as common as money is, its still rare enough to have a decent value; imagine a rare coming to catalogue, does it stay the same value?

Jambe
23-08-2007, 05:54 PM
As for people saying we need to find another planet as eventualy the earth will die out..

ITS ALREDY HAPENING...
supoesdly in 2012 if the earth keeps going at this rate there will be no oxegyen left..
And the weather will be rediculusly bad.

ChainLightning
29-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Its a good thing and i reckon they should build more incase of the awful event of the end of the world. One for every country (Even for the african countries so we can steal them <3

Recursion
30-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Money well spent. It will help us find out more about whats out there, they do experiments and all sorts up there that cannot be done on Earth...

Do you really think the world will end in 2012 ? :| They predicted it would end like 5 years ago or something lolol

Would have thought Bill Gates would contribute hes so god damn rich.

samsaBEAR
30-08-2007, 11:23 PM
i think its a stepping stone forward in the sense that we'll learn new things, but i think its an awful amount of money to waste on something. money that could be better spent making britain a better country

omgDAN!
31-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Waste of money, there are much more important things that the money could be spend on, on our own planet.

Zuar
02-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Indeed a great investment, and stepping stone.
As the way global warming could go Earth may not be survivable on. So they could build a place on the moon etc. And plant trees etc for Oxygen, anyway sounds good.

.Suzu.
07-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Without a doubt, a stepping stone.
Outer space is such a bewildering place! There is so much that we are yet to learn, and I believe that the more we know about space and its ways the better.
A space station is an excellent investment!

Pitch
08-09-2007, 07:02 PM
if the earth dies out in 5 years, im bet your glad you spent all the time posting on here. Oxygen on the earth is nowhere near running out, but with posts like that, i wish it was. The sun will expand into a red giant and will contract into a supernova, pulling all of the planets into it with its higher gravity, as it will be a smaller object and will be possibly hundreds of times denser..

This is happening in about 5, (million) years though..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!