PDA

View Full Version : Madeleine mother 'to be suspect'

Dan2nd
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Kate McCann - mother of missing four-year-old Madeleine - will be formally declared a suspect by the Portuguese police, the family has said.
Mrs McCann has arrived for her second police interview in 24 hours. It is thought she will be made an "arguida".

This would allow the authorities to put certain questions and give her the legal right to remain silent.

Gerry McCann will be questioned later. Both deny any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance on 3 May.

A large number of journalists and members of the public were outside the police station in Portimao, Portugal, to watch Mrs McCann arrive by car.

She entered the building to the sound of a few whistles and some shouts in Portuguese from the waiting crowd.

One British tourist shouted: "We believe you, Kate."

She is stunned and disappointed

John Corner
McCann family friend

Kate McCann's anguish

It is understood that Portuguese police have told Mrs McCann, 39, they have 22 questions they want to ask her during this interview although they have not told her what they are.

A McCann family spokesman said: "Just before the session ended last night, the police made it clear they had some further questions to ask which would require her to be in arguida status rather than just witness status."

The spokesman added: "She is shocked and surprised in several ways. First of all that such an accusation could be made against her.

"And obviously she is concerned that such a line of investigation can become a distraction from further attempts to find Madeleine."

Lawyer present

Family friend John Corner, who spoke to Mrs McCann on Thursday night, said Kate thought the police believed she murdered her daughter.

Mr Corner, who is godfather to the couple's twins, told the Today programme: "She is stunned and disappointed. Really disappointed, not only to be at this stage a suspect but I think the realisation that they're not actually looking for Madeleine I think is almost a double whammy."

Speaking from Glasgow, Mrs McCann's brother-in-law John McCann said: "We just need to see what exactly is going to develop in Portugal.

"We just want to see exactly what the Portuguese police are saying. We cannot believe the line that they are going down - we just find it unbelievable."

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, disappeared from the family's holiday apartment while her parents were eating in a nearby restaurant.

Madeleine was last seen on 3 May

Mrs McCann had previously been interviewed before by police the day after Madeleine disappeared, but yesterday was the first time her lawyer had been present.

She was questioned as a witness until after midnight on Thursday. Police have previously said the McCanns are not suspects.

In a statement released before her interview yesterday, she appealed to her daughter's abductors, saying: "It is not too late - please let her go or call the police."

She said: "We came to Portugal an ordinary family of five. We just want to know what happened on 3 May and want to be able to go home one family, reunited."

Mrs McCann will become the second formal suspect in the case. The first was Robert Murat, a British man living locally. He has not been arrested or charged.

Mrs McCann's husband Gerry, originally from Glasgow, is expected to be questioned on Friday afternoon about Madeleine's disappearance from an apartment in Praia da Luz, Algarve. It's is not known whether he too will be questioned as a suspect

Blood traces

Samples, including suspected traces of blood, have been recovered from the McCanns' holiday apartment.

The UK's Forensic Science Service has spent the past month analysing them.

Portuguese police spokesman Chief Inspector Olegario Sousa said partial results from tests had been received, but would give no further details.

Last week, the McCanns launched a libel action against a Portuguese newspaper which claimed they killed their daughter.

A public statement from the director of police followed, saying neither Kate nor Gerry McCann had ever been viewed as suspects.

The McCanns have travelled extensively through Europe to raise awareness of the search for their daughter.

This was always going to happen..

:Hazel
07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
theres something fishy about the whole thing so this doesnt surprise me at all..

seattlegrace
07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't think they've had any involvement with the disappearance whatsoever. I doubt they would have been able to keep something like this quiet for so long, especially when the best investigators have been investigating.

T0M
07-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I dont think they had any involvement in the kidnapping but i do blame them for leaving the kids alone in the apartment

Sammeth.
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I think police are just trying anything to get an answer. They have been critisized and are in full glare of the media spot light, and I think they want to appear is if they are trying to do something. I mean, its completley contradictary to what they have said before. For example saying Friends and Hotel Staff could vouch for Kate being with friends ALL night, up until Gerry alerted her of Madeleines disappearance.

The blood they have found in the McCanns car hasnt been proved to be Madeleines yet.

Devil.Wont.Cry
07-09-2007, 02:26 PM
if they did do it then their the best actors in the world!! but tbh i dont think they did, how could she have done it if she had been in a restaurant and the father was the only 1to check on maddy and like tom said, bit stupid to leave them on their own

Sammeth.
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
They have finished questioning her and they havent charged her. Im watching it on Sky News live. Gerry is now being questioned again.

I think its stupid to suggest that blood found in a hire car, (hired 25 days after Madeleine was abducted), is Madeleines.

Nixt
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think they've had any involvement with the disappearance whatsoever. I doubt they would have been able to keep something like this quiet for so long, especially when the best investigators have been investigating.

It's wrong to make such an assumption, some people are very good at hiding things and the only way they can be sure is to look in depth. In England being made a suspect is a big deal but in Portugal the only real difference is that they have the power to ask tougher questions; I think this needs to be done so they can be sure. The McCann's said they were prepared to do whatever needs to be done to help get their daughter back, so they should have no problem asking a few tough questions.

Simmzay
07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
So the claim is that her blood was found on a car, a car they rented 25 days after the disappearance. So if this is true, I can assume that she died in the room, there was no abduction and they were transporting the body to some sort of destination, maybe a burial?

It's all speculation at this point but it doesn't look good to me.

Sammeth.
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
A car they rented 25 days AFTER her abduction means...how many people could have used that car before then?! Lots.

But again, we have to remember, the way the Portugese handle these things are a LOT different than we would do here.

Jordie
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
i think the parents are involved tbh
but thats just my opinion

FlyingJesus
07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
If I wanted to get rid of a kid I'd do away with them a few days before reporting that they've been abducted, that way police will be searching in the wrong time period and won't be as likely to find anything.. Not suggesting that's what happened but hell it's a good idea.

To the point of them finding her - a body might be recovered, but that's the best they can hope for. No-one would be stupid enough to keep her alive this long with such continuing hype about it, and if they were that stupid then they wouldn't have been able to pull off an abduction properly anyway.

Technologic
07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
To be honest it seems to me they did hve something to do with it.

-:Undertaker:-
07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
i think the parents are involved tbh
but thats just my opinion

To be honest it seems to me they did hve something to do with it.

The parents were with friends all night, so what are you saying, Kate said 'ooooh i'll be right back, just going the toilet' so she headed back to the apartment killed maddy, drove somewere to dump the body, bear in mind she doesn't know her way around portugal, then come back clean and not worried and shaking 2 hours later and say to her husband and friend ' oh sorry about that I had a big poo'

Think perhaps?

Technologic
07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
The parents were with friends all night, so what are you saying, Kate said 'ooooh i'll be right back, just going the toilet' so she headed back to the apartment killed maddy, drove somewere to dump the body, bear in mind she doesn't know her way around portugal, then come back clean and not worried and shaking 2 hours later and say to her husband and friend ' oh sorry about that I had a big poo'

Think perhaps?

I reckon they did it before they went out or got somebody to do it for them.

07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I reckon they did it before they went out or got somebody to do it for them.

Again, how could they sit at the Dinner table an hour after they've just killed/told someone to kill their daughter?

You can't sit there all calm after you have killed someone..

Technologic
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Again, how could they sit at the Dinner table an hour after they've just killed/told someone to kill their daughter?

You don't know do you? And neither do i.

There are some sick people out there...

07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
You don't know do you? And neither do i.

There are some sick people out there...

Yes but it's impossible that they could of done it, and yeah there are some sick twisted evil people out there, it's like I heard on news today that a couple have been sentenced to a pathetic 9 years in prison for torturing a toddler to death, they should be executed.

Our justice system values that kids life at 9/5 years, because they won't serve their full terms just like all the others.

Nixt
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
If I wanted to get rid of a kid I'd do away with them a few days before reporting that they've been abducted, that way police will be searching in the wrong time period and won't be as likely to find anything.. Not suggesting that's what happened but hell it's a good idea.

To the point of them finding her - a body might be recovered, but that's the best they can hope for. No-one would be stupid enough to keep her alive this long with such continuing hype about it, and if they were that stupid then they wouldn't have been able to pull off an abduction properly anyway.

Nah, if they did happen to find her and they realised that she'd died before the reports (not likely, but possible) they'd be in ****.

@ Undertaker, someone disturbed enough to even contemplate to kill their own daughter is disturbed, most like psychopathic. They could sit their very calmly. Remember they went to check on their children every ten minutes, who is to say something didn't happen then? It could of been only one of the parents.

Simmzay
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't think they killed her, but if she somehow died while alone in the room with her siblings, the parents may of been found responsible. Which could lead to the lies... but once again, speculation.

Nixt
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Nah, if they did happen to find her and they realised that she'd died before the reports (not likely, but possible) they'd be in ****.

@ Undertaker, someone disturbed enough to even contemplate to kill their own daughter is disturbed, most like psychopathic. They could sit their very calmly. Remember they went to check on their children every ten minutes, who is to say something didn't happen then? It could of been only one of the parents.

Sorry that sentence was REALLY badly written for some reason, so I am going to rewrite it.

@ Undertaker, if someone even contemplates killing their own daughter they must be at least disturbed, if not psychopathic. A psychopath in particular, could sit there (not their XD) very calmly. Remember - they went to check on their children every ten minutes, who is to say something didn't happen then? It could of been only one of the parents.

Technologic
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes but it's impossible that they could of done it, and yeah there are some sick twisted evil people out there, it's like I heard on news today that a couple have been sentenced to a pathetic 9 years in prison for torturing a toddler to death, they should be executed.

Our justice system values that kids life at 9/5 years, because they won't serve their full terms just like all the others.

Is not executing somebody as bad as murder?

I think they should suffer. Not be executed

mat64
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Is not executing somebody as bad as murder?

I think they should suffer. Not be executed

Indeed, Execution is the easy way out.

shok
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I dont think the parents killed her but....

I think they are hiding something, Its obviously madeliene is dead and i think it was some sort of accident for example: she was 4 years old right? everyone knows 4 year olds can make up in the middle of the night, so im thinking she woke up was wondering where the parents where she looked around the apartment thing and killed herself accidently by something and when they got back hid whatever

my opinon but meh

[DC]eption
09-09-2007, 01:54 PM

But they are both too calm about the situation imho. Im not saying they did do it but i think something isnt right. And why 2 smart adults leave their kids in a place they didnt know, even if they were checking up on them. It only takes a couple of minuets for something to happen!

dirrty
09-09-2007, 01:55 PM
they are back in the uk now anyway

Axel
09-09-2007, 02:12 PM
they are back in the uk now anyway

They live in Leicester don't they? You could go stalk them.

dirrty
09-09-2007, 02:28 PM
They live in Leicester don't they? You could go stalk them.
lol :P

09-09-2007, 02:59 PM
eption;3886555']But they are both too calm about the situation imho. Im not saying they did do it but i think something isnt right. And why 2 smart adults leave their kids in a place they didnt know, even if they were checking up on them. It only takes a couple of minuets for something to happen!

They have been crying all the time, Kate has lost weight aswell. You don't expect this to happen, you can't blame them for leaving the kids in the Apartment, otherwise you could blame a mother whose kids have gone missing in ASDA because she shouldn't of let them go by the sweets.

hobo
09-09-2007, 03:09 PM
They have finished questioning her and they havent charged her. Im watching it on Sky News live. Gerry is now being questioned again.

I think its stupid to suggest that blood found in a hire car, (hired 25 days after Madeleine was abducted), is Madeleines.

i'm sure it was tested and they found it was madeline's :S

Think perhaps?

i think madeline had an accident while they were out, and they hid the body when they found it when they got back, so they wouldn't get into trouble & so their careers wouldn't be damaged.

shok
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
i think madeline had an accident while they were out, and they hid the body when they found it when they got back, so they wouldn't get into trouble & so their careers wouldn't be damaged.
thats what i said :( :P

Lozzoling
10-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Personally, if she did it, i think she would have cracked by now.

Galactica
11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
It's wrong to make such an assumption, some people are very good at hiding things and the only way they can be sure is to look in depth. In England being made a suspect is a big deal but in Portugal the only real difference is that they have the power to ask tougher questions; I think this needs to be done so they can be sure. The McCann's said they were prepared to do whatever needs to be done to help get their daughter back, so they should have no problem asking a few tough questions.

I agree, with you... If they have found blood and STRANDS of hair in the bottom of the boot... Not the top under neath with the spair tyre why would you put that there?

It was hired by Kate and Gerry 15 days after the "kidnapping" if someone was kidnapping the children they would have made a forced entry, but there was no forced entry... I'm not suprised and you have to make the asumption that they have done it.

hobo
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
they so did it.
what possible explanation could they have for her dna being in the boot of a hire car 25 days after she vanished?

Hoodstar
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
they so did it.
what possible explanation could they have for her dna being in the boot of a hire car 25 days after she vanished?

Kidnappers might have thought it'd be a good idea to kill her in the back of their car.

s'all possible.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/mrgolliwog/valet.jpg

ilove2spam
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
meh its sad tbh

hobo
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Kidnappers might have thought it'd be a good idea to kill her in the back of their car.

s'all possible.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/mrgolliwog/valet.jpg

no it aint.
and that aint funny.

it's really sad when you see how excited madeline was about her holiday and stuff.

lAdmire
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
also, they've said they have enough evidence to charge her with manslaughter.
so, this means, she could have a big part in the disappearance of madeleine.
wow.
her own mother.
this is very sad.
she should just come out & say it.
cause she may just get charged.
tell the truth mama mcann!

Hoodstar
12-09-2007, 07:07 AM
no it aint.
and that aint funny.

it's really sad when you see how excited madeline was about her holiday and stuff.

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

think da family will b better off goin to butlinz next yr, y'kno.. when Kate McCann is on parole.

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Janet Snakehole
12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

think da family will b better off goin to butlinz next yr, y'kno.. when Kate McCann is on parole.

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thats not really funny tbh.

I personally don't think they did it, and the reason they don't show any emotion whilst being interviewed or whatever is because they are strong people.. and others are failing to see that.

Simmzay
12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm from Australia and not UK and I'm a little surprised at the UK coverage of the whole event. There seems to be an overwhelming bias (especially with Sky News), where they defend and divert all the attention from the real issue. When they became suspects, people started discussing the "past" of the officer in charge and "offers" being made for them to confess, but in reality offering lesser terms of sentences for admitting to a crime is common - that's a fact. There seems to be a strong case for factual evidence against the parents and people are too busy defending them because they've grown accustomed to them and embraced them and their cause. This isn't aimed at everyone but, for those who defend them regardless of the outcome, you must remember you don't really know them at all. Anyone is capable and it'd be a shame if the facts of the case weren't accepted by the masses.

The whole they did it/they didn't is speculative at best, but once you introduce DNA evidence I think it's a strong case.

Dan2nd
12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
If somone did kidnap her wouldn't it have been easier to kidnap one of the smaller children as they would have been easier to disguise and to keep quiet.

jesus
12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Or perhaps she was the only one that they saw?

Dan2nd
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Or perhaps she was the only one that they saw?

I thought they were all sleeping in the same room?

Browney
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Didn't they get an 88% match on some hair in the hire car they hired 25 days after? And too much hair to be transfered from the parent's clothes. But I agree with Mr Dan. If they managed to transfer the body I'll be impressed.

Jamie!
12-09-2007, 03:53 PM
It is weird like, but..

If all the alibis they have are true, the time line makes it impossible for the body of Maddie to be hidden, I would have thought. 30min before Kate discovered Maddie was missing, another doctor checked on the kids and they were all there, safe and sound. When Kate arrivied to check on them (30min after the friend has) Maddie was gone. She called the police 10min later. I presume Kate was looking frantically for Maddie during those. 10min after calling, the police arrived. That leaves 20min at an absolute maximium, for Kate to kill Maddie, and then hide the body in such a place, that it wouldn't get found.

Going of the alibis, it's just not possible for Kate to have killed her. Unless.. the friend of the McCanns who had checked on the kids 30min previous to Kate, is also in on the crime.

Posted that in the other thread, can't be arsed retyping it.

Hoodstar
13-09-2007, 10:23 PM
When they confirm that she's done it (I'm pretty sure she has). It'll prove to be the biggest waste of time/effort/money/publicity & sympathy in a hell'uva long time.

I actually can't wait til' this is over, what aload of bull.

Puma
21-09-2007, 05:16 PM
ditto that i really think kate is a disgusting woman.. you can even see the evil in her eyes

Papershop
21-09-2007, 05:19 PM
If somone did kidnap her wouldn't it have been easier to kidnap one of the smaller children as they would have been easier to disguise and to keep quiet.

smaller kids tend to scream randomly, it would have been riskier

lawbabe
01-10-2007, 07:03 AM
You Said:

<<A car they rented 25 days AFTER her abduction means...how many people could have used that car before then?! Lots. >>

Right, but how on earth could Madeleine McCanns DNA have been deposited in the car b/f her parents rented it?

I believe in keeping an open mind, but not so open that my brain falls out.

<<But again, we have to remember, the way the Portugese handle these things are a LOT different than we would do here>>

Sure, it looks like they bungled @ the beginning of the inquiry-but they were relying on what the parents told them. The McCanns benefitted from being professionals & were given more credence than a single mom or working class couple would have been. My 2 cents.

lawbabe
01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Jamie:

It's my thought that Madeleine was killed sometime earlier -that she was already dead & body moved b/f the McCanns went out that night for dinner. Something could have been stuffed in the bed to make it appear a person was asleep in the bed.

The tomb silence from the MCCann's dinner companions is deafening, in my opinion.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!