PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson threatens to "block" GTA 4 release

Neil
19-09-2007, 09:48 PM
For those who don't know Jack Thompson is a lawyer that is trying to get rid of video game violence, he has never really liked GTA, having to deal with cases like some kid getting killed and they assume it had something to do with GTA3 (I think it did in the end though)
And Bestbuy selling GTA:VC to his 10 year old son, but anyway this guy just generally doesn't like violence in games and is trying to get GTA 4 "blocked" from being released because in an early mission they apparently have a parody were you have to kill him

Click here (http://gamepolitics.com/2007/09/18/jack-thompson-says-gta-4-mission-target-is-him-threatens-to-block-release/)

JoeyK.
19-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Well, good luck Mr. Thompson, you're fighting a losing battle here tbh.

bo$$
19-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Yea, there’s the right to parody covered under free speech.

And you know what, here’s some other interesting facts:
- Jack Thompson is not the only anti-gaming lawyer around (although they are rare)

Jack Thompson is going to lose.
Just because he thinks that video games like that should be banned doesn't mean its him in particular :P

Even if he were to get far enough in court, as the quote about says; there's a right to parody which is covered under free speech. If we couldn't then alot of things such as South Park, MAD TV, and SNL would be in trouble.

mat64
19-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Geez, How long has Jack Thompson been going at this?

Moh
19-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Gosh, thought u was talking about me then xD
Naa, my last name is scottish version - Without the P xD

Neil
19-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Geez, How long has Jack Thompson been going at this?

Donno, I think he's only actually won once of all the times he's tried xD

Aflux
20-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Mr.Thompson is a moron.

velocity
20-09-2007, 06:47 AM
you have to be poorly brought up in the first place to copy or imitate anything in the games. blame the parents such as himself.

jrh2002
20-09-2007, 11:53 AM
you have to be poorly brought up in the first place to copy or imitate anything in the games. blame the parents such as himself.
I agree.
He was sending his kid in to buy 18 rated games? not very responsible.
I bet now the young lad knows he can get served hes buying all sorts of stuff without his dad knowing.

Neil
20-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Yea, my parents have always let me and my brothers play and watch anything really, obviously they wouldn't show us really scary movies when we were much younger but they'd let us watch 18s and play games with adult themes (not sex)
Us being bought up like that makes us aware that this kind of stuff is not real and we shouldn't act on it
I was playing GTA when I was 7, if I wanted a game that was an 18 I'd ask and my mum would buy it for me xD

jesus
20-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I suppose he's only trying to do something good, but I doubt it will work.

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 01:26 PM
His argument is with parents, not with the makers of the game. If you're a good parent, you wouldn't give the game to someone under the age of 13. Yes it is an 18+ game, but I think 15-16 year olds can play it without having the need to kill a friend or neighbour.

His case is a failure.

Wiley
20-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Take Two have targeted me in this fashion. Take Two references to me as a bisexual pedophile on its corporate website…

ROFL IRL AT THT.

Neil
20-09-2007, 01:56 PM
ROFL IRL AT THT.

Lol I never saw that bit :P

Shoovers
20-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Hopefully this is not gonna happen cos i am dying to play it lol.

Woo 1000th post

Fez
20-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I was playing GTA when I was 5, and i don't want to kill anyone. You'd have to be poorly brought up to act out violence you see in video games . Like Neil I was made aware of the stuff in video games so I knew that it was wrong to act out violence you see in video games .

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Good upbringing and knowing the between reality and fiction is what makes you not kill from video games. You have to be pretty messed up to perform stunts and scenes from games.

Neil
20-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Good upbringing and knowing the between reality and fiction is what makes you not kill from video games. You have to be pretty messed up to perform stunts and scenes from games.

Exactly, my parents believe that if your bought up around this stuff you will understand it more as you age, I've always known things in movies and games are not real and shouldn't be done in real life
Same with my brothers, that's how I intend to raise my kids (if I have any)

mangle
20-09-2007, 06:02 PM
lmao @ the parody of killing him!
And anyway , if you're brought up thinking violence is correct well then you shouldnt be able to play them. But people like most gamers who know its better not to react with violence will learn not to imitate video games like this.

Markness.
20-09-2007, 06:15 PM
This man is an idiot imo. if he's taking on Rockstar, he'd have to take on Fox, Universal, Paramount, Sony and all the movie giants aswell.

I think we hould all get together and kill this sucker with a chainsaw, or a rocketlauncher, and then steal his money and hijack a bus as a getaway vehicle before planning a hide out in the hood, while the police shoot at us from a 'copter.

the idea that anyone would want to copy GTA is nonsence... :rolleyes:

Brody
20-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Yea, my parents have always let me and my brothers play and watch anything really, obviously they wouldn't show us really scary movies when we were much younger but they'd let us watch 18s and play games with adult themes (not sex)
Us being bought up like that makes us aware that this kind of stuff is not real and we shouldn't act on it
I was playing GTA when I was 7, if I wanted a game that was an 18 I'd ask and my mum would buy it for me xD

same upbringing

Oni
20-09-2007, 06:50 PM
It shouldnt be banned but I see his point. Imagine you were fighting a cause which you beleive in and then the thing you are fighting uses you in their product which you are combatting and makes a mockery of you. He is taking this way too far but it is wrong of take two in my opinion.

348GTS
20-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Its pathetic.. Its just a game. Then we won't be able to watch movies, etc.

CJW93
20-09-2007, 08:25 PM
That guys such a kill joy

Neil
20-09-2007, 08:32 PM
That guys such a kill joy

Yea, it's obvious his parents never let him watch certain movies, do certain things, just work his butt off
So he's trying to punish us by making us have the same life he did :o

mangle
20-09-2007, 08:45 PM
To be honest , the only time i would ever call upon something i've seen in a game or a movie is when in a fighting situation. If someone approached me and threatend me i'd use a move i saw in a WWE game to get out of it. But the idea that a 15 year old would actually want to take a chainsaw to a man is just insane!

Fez
20-09-2007, 08:46 PM
To be honest , the only time i would ever call upon something i've seen in a game or a movie is when in a fighting situation. If someone approached me and threatend me i'd use a move i saw in a WWE game to get out of it. But the idea that a 15 year old would actually want to take a chainsaw to a man is just insane!
I did that once.

Except it was a God of War move. But by god he deserved it.

Jamesy
20-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Aww he tries so hard... Its so cute!!

He once attempted to sue anyone that had been within 5 miles of a ps2. Which ended up in him nearly sueing himself.

He is just special...

Frodo13.
20-09-2007, 08:55 PM
What annoys me about this guy, and other people with similar attitudes, is that they think its just video games people get mad ideas to kill people from. What about other media, such as films and books? I dont see this guy complaining about them, and they can also give out similar, sometimes violent messages

Neil
20-09-2007, 09:07 PM
What annoys me about this guy, and other people with similar attitudes, is that they think its just video games people get mad ideas to kill people from. What about other media, such as films and books? I dont see this guy complaining about them, and they can also give out similar, sometimes violent messages

Books can actually influence someone to kill alot easier than games, in a game you are doing it but that way you know it's fake because it's just a game, with books the ideas are sorta, more solid as your brain processes it which would make it harder for you to determine whether it's real or not, not to mention if someone does something very different to kill someone, as in a very uncommon way you can't see it and you may feel the urge to kill someone the same way to see how it looks
It's not like everyone is like that just an example that books can be worse than games whe it comes to this sort of thing :P

Frodo13.
20-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Books can actually influence someone to kill alot easier than games, in a game you are doing it but that way you know it's fake because it's just a game, with books the ideas are sorta, more solid as your brain processes it which would make it harder for you to determine whether it's real or not, not to mention if someone does something very different to kill someone, as in a very uncommon way you can't see it and you may feel the urge to kill someone the same way to see how it looks
It's not like everyone is like that just an example that books can be worse than games whe it comes to this sort of thing :P

I totally agree. I think this guy needs to go away and get the life he never had.

Fez
20-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I think he's banned his son from playing 15+ games... when his son is still 15. Jack wants us all to be happy and play Loco Roco all the time, video game violence just let's realism flow away and be able to experince things we can't find in real life, even in GTA IV which presents serious realism, it is still quite impossible.

Neil
20-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I think he's banned his son from playing 15+ games... when his son is still 15. Jack wants us all to be happy and play Loco Roco all the time, video game violence just let's realism flow away and be able to experince things we can't find in real life, even in GTA IV which presents serious realism, it is still quite impossible.

Yea, you can sort of understand why he was upset about being put in the game, but I can't see them actually having it look like him, maybe not even the same name, who knows, anythings possible with Rockstar lol

GhostFace-
20-09-2007, 09:27 PM
So many people try doing this but the odds are againts them
people like this always loose..

Fez
20-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Yea, you can sort of understand why he was upset about being put in the game, but I can't see them actually having it look like him, maybe not even the same name, who knows, anythings possible with Rockstar lol
I think the 'Vitural Jack' is caled Goldberg

Wiley
20-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Aww he tries so hard... Its so cute!!

He once attempted to sue anyone that had been within 5 miles of a ps2. Which ended up in him nearly sueing himself.

He is just special...

Special needed imo.

PaulMacC
21-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Im surprised he's still alive tbh.
He'll never bann GTA 4

Bear-Max
22-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Good luck with picketing a single Gamestop store, Jack. That'll stop the masses.

piddle2k6
22-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Hes actually quite stupid.

Hes giving publicity to the game and a minority people will be thinking. Oh thats a rebelious game lets get it.

alex 1889
26-09-2007, 08:31 PM
"alex 1889 threatens to shoot jack thompson" :l

and the virtual thompson in gta is called goldberrg i think. Hes in one of the missions lol.

adidas™
26-09-2007, 09:47 PM
lol what a fool.
ive been playing 'virtua tennis3' recently, but that doesnt want to make me go out there and be a tennis superstar
so asif i wud play 20mins of gta, then think 'yanoe what' i'ma murder the neighbours.
patheticccc.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!