PDA

View Full Version : EMA - ridiculous

Dave,
19-09-2007, 10:14 PM
One thing that has really bugged me over the last year is EMA.

I don't understand why tax payers money is being given to thousands of students to encourage them to go to college. If people want to go to college they do it of their own accord, not because they've been bribed. I'd much rather that money be put back in t Universities so that tuition fees are lowered.

Now I know EMA is meant to help people lesser off with transport costs but 9 times out of 10 that money isn't spent on that. I know people who just spend it on pointless things and their parents still pay for travel costs.

A girl I've known since Primary school who is pretty well off, she lives in a large house and has always had nice things. Two holidays a year and nice cars, yet she is still allowed £20 a week and it just makes me so mad because her parents do have enough money to pay for transport.

Like I stated previously. I'd much rather that money be put in to Uni so that a 3 year course doesn't end up costing £9k. I mean most students come out with £20k of debt after their course.

What do you think?

Mr.Sam
19-09-2007, 10:17 PM
i'm sure people at my school get 30 per week
It's based on your parents yearly wages if it is under 25000(i think) you are able to receive it so in theory it would help give the student some money because they are studying instead of working.

the wombats
19-09-2007, 10:19 PM
but it does help a lot of people get to and from college. it helps them buy stuff for college. i use my EMA for stuff i need for college, then i use the spare money on what i want. i don't see the problem.

Dave,
19-09-2007, 10:20 PM
The student could get a part time job.

Also people whos parents earn higher than the set allowance to receive EMA don't necessarily get any more money that someone with parents that earn lower.

All I think is that it would make more sense to lower Uni costs by using the money from EMA.

Mr.Sam
19-09-2007, 10:21 PM
about the transport issue at my school we are in a partnership of 6 local schools. meaning anyone from these schools can do subjects at the other schools so there is a wider ranger. all the schools use their mini buses to get your around and if you live quite a way from school we have free couches to take you to bus stops near your home.
so I don't see the transport reason for my school or surrounding schools...

the wombats
19-09-2007, 10:22 PM

Also people whos parents earn higher than the set allowance to receive EMA don't necessarily get any more money that someone with parents that earn lower.

All I think is that it would make more sense to lower Uni costs.

some people did crap in school, hard to find a job to fit round college etc. wants to concentrate on college.

Smiddy
19-09-2007, 10:23 PM
i'm sure people at my school get 30 per week
It's based on your parents yearly wages if it is under 25000(i think) you are able to receive it so in theory it would help give the student some money because they are studying instead of working.
Under £30,000 income annually.
You get either £10, £20 or £30.

I'm quite jealous of some pupils, because it doesn't give some other students the same motivation to work as much as those who do get it. I turned up to most, if not all of my lessons last year and I don't get any money for it, but for all the school knows I might have to pay my parents for rent (random example) and the money would come in handy.

Most of the pupils in my 6thform who get it don't need it for buses, since they have the same transport as lower school (same site) so it'll go on the weekend activities.

Dave,
19-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Under £30,000 income annually.
You get either £10, £20 or £30.

I'm quite jealous of some pupils, because it doesn't give some other students the same motivation to work as much as those who do get it. I turned up to most, if not all of my lessons last year and I don't get any money for it, but for all the school knows I might have to pay my parents for rent (random example) and the money would come in handy.

Most of the pupils in my 6thform who get it don't need it for buses, since they have the same transport as lower school (same site) so it'll go on the weekend activities.

That is what I was like last year. I turn up for all my lessons and do my work and yet I don't get a penny.

For my transport it cost my mum £340 for the year.

Although my parents earn over the threshold it doesn't mean we have a disposable income. My parents have to pay their bills, the running of cars since my dad does drive a lot for his work. So really the extra income doesn't mean they're spending any more on me than a less fortunate family.

I do wish it was all or nothing. Then the money saved be put in to Uni.

Cixso
19-09-2007, 10:34 PM
One thing that has really bugged me over the last year is EMA.Do you receive EMA? if not, this is why you are complaining perhaps?

I don't understand why tax payers money is being given to thousands of students to encourage them to go to college. If people want to go to college they do it of their own accord, not because they've been bribed. I'd much rather that money be put back in t Universities so that tuition fees are lowered.

Now I know EMA is meant to help people lesser off with transport costs but 9 times out of 10 that money isn't spent on that. I know people who just spend it on pointless things and their parents still pay for travel costs.

A girl I've known since Primary school who is pretty well off, she lives in a large house and has always had nice things. Two holidays a year and nice cars, yet she is still allowed £20 a week and it just makes me so mad because her parents do have enough money to pay for transport.

Like I stated previously. I'd much rather that money be put in to Uni so that a 3 year course doesn't end up costing £9k. I mean most students come out with £20k of debt after their course.

What do you think?I think you are being harsh.

10,000's of people use their money for travel. It isn't just for travel anyways. You can spend it on what you want. It's why it is there.

Carry on learning and get your hands on some extra cash

Education Maintenance Allowance (or EMA for short) could give you up to £30 a week to help out with the costs of staying in learning after 16.
The money’s paid directly into your bank account. Once it’s there, you can use it to pay for whatever you like – for example, books, travel or equipment.
Which helps you concentrate on learning without worrying so much about money.

Dave,
19-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Do you receive EMA? if not, this is why you are complaining perhaps?

I think you are being harsh.

10,000's of people use their money for travel. It isn't just for travel anyways. You can spend it on what you want. It's why it is there.

Carry on learning and get your hands on some extra cash

Education Maintenance Allowance (or EMA for short) could give you up to £30 a week to help out with the costs of staying in learning after 16.
The money’s paid directly into your bank account. Once it’s there, you can use it to pay for whatever you like – for example, books, travel or equipment.
Which helps you concentrate on learning without worrying so much about money.

I don't get it. I am a little jealous yes. Like I stated before my parents earn over the threshold but I don't get given anymore money than my 'less fortunate' friends.

Like I also stated it costs £340 a year for my bus card and with my course I do need the money to buy supplies. Like Photography I could spend a weeks EMA in an hour with film and developing costs. I have to pay for that out of my own money.

I do think it should either be: give everyone the money or put it in to University. Most people who I have spoken to would rather it be spent on Uni so they don't get in to debt after college.

Cixso
19-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't get it. I am a little jealous yes. Like I stated before my parents earn over the threshold but I don't get given anymore money than my 'less fortunate' friends.

I do think it should either be: give everyone the money or put it in to University. Most people who I have spoken to would rather it be spent on Uni so they don't get in to debt after college.

I personally think everybody after the age of 16 to 19 and in college/higher education should receive EMA.

I think it is unfair for those who can't get it. What's to say your parents are giving you £30 a week?

I bet most people who don't get EMA still have to work for there travels and there mam & dad do not support them.

Moh
19-09-2007, 10:46 PM
It all builds up per day, I go to college 3 days a week and it takes most of my money:
Travel - £2 p/d - £6 p/w
Food/Drink - £6 /pd - £18 p/w

Lucky for me I get £30 a week. I only have £6 spare after it.
tbh i duno why it costs £6 for food, but we have first break, spend like £1, dinner spend abour £4 and then afternoon break another £1, humm, maybe i can spend £6 on food per day xD

Also you can get chucked off the corse if u go into work instead of college, and u get fired if u go to college instead of work.
EMA is to encourege people 2 get a higher education instead of going to work till you can get a good job if u know what i mean.

Cixso
19-09-2007, 10:54 PM
It all builds up per day, I go to college 3 days a week and it takes most of my money:
Travel - £2 p/d - £6 p/w
Food/Drink - £6 /pd - £18 p/w

Lucky for me I get £30 a week. I only have £6 spare after it.
tbh i duno why it costs £6 for food, but we have first break, spend like £1, dinner spend abour £4 and then afternoon break another £1, humm, maybe i can spend £6 on food per day xD

Also you can get chucked off the corse if u go into work instead of college, and u get fired if u go to college instead of work.
EMA is to encourege people 2 get a higher education instead of going to work till you can get a good job if u know what i mean.

I use to spend £34 P/W on food at college :P All ema gone and £4 form my company.

I get my travel money from my dad (works out to be £28 P/W).

Kind of him.

Moh
19-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I use to spend £34 P/W on food at college :P All ema gone and £4 form my company.

I get my travel money from my dad (works out to be £28 P/W).

Kind of him.
Where the hell do u eat? Do u drink from starbucks?
And u must live miles away from college :P

the wombats
19-09-2007, 11:01 PM

our college is really dear. god knows why he spends so much though. :O anyways, more people should be allowed it. because i know people with a lot higher income don't hardly get money off their parents, so it's not fair on them.

Cixso
19-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Once I eat I eat. I can't stop.

(I'm not fat either, I'm healthy)

I live 7-8 mile away from my college :P

Moh
19-09-2007, 11:11 PM
our college is really dear. god knows why he spends so much though. :O anyways, more people should be allowed it. because i know people with a lot higher income don't hardly get money off their parents, so it's not fair on them.
I dont eat in my college xD
Ours is in the town center :)
Lots of eating places xD

Cixso
19-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I dont eat in my college xD
Ours is in the town center :)
Lots of eating places xD

Nice, our new college (Middlesbrough College) in middllehaven opens 2008 near the riverside stadium. So we will be based in the town too.

Xarea
20-09-2007, 11:11 AM
For all those saying 'OMG MA COLLEGE FOOD ND DRINK IS RLY DEAR', why don't you pop down to a Costco or a big cash and carry store, buy a crate of your favourite bottled drink (coke, lucozade etc) and take a couple of bottles a day?

It's much, much, much cheaper in the long run?

Cixso
20-09-2007, 11:16 AM
For all those saying 'OMG MA COLLEGE FOOD ND DRINK IS RLY DEAR', why don't you pop down to a Costco or a big cash and carry store, buy a crate of your favourite bottled drink (coke, lucozade etc) and take a couple of bottles a day?

It's much, much, much cheaper in the long run?

Too lazy, I prefer cold or hot food.

Wiley
20-09-2007, 11:29 AM
but it does help a lot of people get to and from college. it helps them buy stuff for college. i use my EMA for stuff i need for college, then i use the spare money on what i want. i don't see the problem.

o.o I spend my ema on cds hoodys and hats :D

All I think is that it would make more sense to lower Uni costs by using the money from EMA.

Yh they could but im to lazy for a job thts why i went to college tbh. Two more years in education means no money you need to pay for some taxes or something & you get 30£ per week sorted rly. I take it the only reason your against it is cos you dont get it..?

Papershop
20-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont think its a bad idea, but what i will say, is that is disgraceful how some students are getting given more EMA than others. just because yours parents make over £30000 a year doesnt mean thier going to give you any of it? It is a discrimination in its own right. We are young adults and they are treating us like children.

Virgin Mary
20-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't get it so I have to do a job.

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 01:33 PM
If you get EMA and you go to a learning establishment which doesn't cost you anything, then it is pointless.

FlyingJesus
20-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I get £30 EMA a week, and being in my second year I'm lucky enough to have a timetable which only needs me in college 3 days a week. That's £10 for a day of college (8:35-4:25).

I walk to college, so I pay nothing for travel.
I eat at the local Co-Op or the sandwich shop place for like £3 a day.
I have to buy an art pack for the year which is £41.40, but that's a one-off.

This leaves me with a fair amount of money, which I find extremely useful for driving lessons, car insurance, petrol and of course drugs/alcohol. The only objection people have to EMA is that they don't get it, which is hardly a fair reason.

I'm not really making a case as to why EMA is a good thing, I'm just gloating.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I get £30 EMA a week, and being in my second year I'm lucky enough to have a timetable which only needs me in college 3 days a week. That's £10 for a day of college (8:35-4:25).

I walk to college, so I pay nothing for travel.
I eat at the local Co-Op or the sandwich shop place for like £3 a day.
I have to buy an art pack for the year which is £41.40, but that's a one-off.

This leaves me with a fair amount of money, which I find extremely useful for driving lessons, car insurance, petrol and of course drugs/alcohol. The only objection people have to EMA is that they don't get it, which is hardly a fair reason.
I'm not really making a case as to why EMA is a good thing, I'm just gloating.

Ofcourse its a fair reason, how do you expect people who dont get it to travel to and from college, buy stationary equiptment and the likes, its completely irrelevant how much your parents make, everyone should get an equal amount, or get nothing at all

Lycan
20-09-2007, 02:36 PM
One thing that has really bugged me over the last year is EMA.

What do you think?

I don't get EMA , i think it sucks i was having a discussion with one of my friends last year about it.

EMA students get up to £30 a week just for turning up....
EMA students get a bonus at christmas and other holidays if all there work has been handed in...

All this as an incentive for them to turn up and work, but what about me my parrents yearly make over the minimum amount because they draw from two pensions and one has a job, it would be a lie to say my family don't have much money because they do, often will my parrents pay me to work in the garden or the field to aid them at the current minimum wage. but wheres my incentive! last year because of this i saw no need to go to college several days a week as i could do work, hand it in on time and just get more work, meanwhile students on the otherside of the room were handing it in late and still getting paid!

The idea that its a Education Manitence allowance to buy equipment and much needed college supplies, books or pay for food and bills is complete rubbish, most people i know use to to buy drugs! (i have nothing against them using drugs but why should the goverment pay them to get drugs and get me at the end of the week thinking... agh just another year to go.

the college provide students with a bus pass for a small fee at the begging of the year so i don't understand why students who get EMA need that money to pay for the bus!

Surely the goverment is not paying slackers to get drugs, booze, smoking and get cheap toxic fuming cars to ruin the air quality.

Meanwhile i find myself looking for jobs to get any cash i can!

Friend of mine who doesn't get EMA is now having to work several jobs just to get a monthly income to support himself and pay bills that his parrents won't, yesturday he was working fro 11pm till 5am and turns up to college an hour late...

to be honest i don't know anyone in my college year (Within my course) that deserve a EMA considering there attitude in college, there disruption, workrate and the fact they all have jobs anyway!

Frodo13.
20-09-2007, 02:58 PM
The only objection people have to EMA is that they don't get it, which is hardly a fair reason.

:eusa_clap I totally agree. I get £10 EMA a week, and for me, that will go towards buying clothes, driving lessons etc. The people who think its unfair, are obviously, the people who dont get it. I highly doubt they would be complaining if they did get it. In my opinion, its just jelousy that creates all this bitterness between non-EMA people.

adidas™
20-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I personally think everybody after the age of 16 to 19 and in college/higher education should receive EMA.

I think it is unfair for those who can't get it. What's to say your parents are giving you £30 a week?

I bet most people who don't get EMA still have to work for there travels and there mam & dad do not support them.

exactly.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:13 PM
:eusa_clap I totally agree. I get £10 EMA a week, and for me, that will go towards buying clothes, driving lessons etc. The people who think its unfair, are obviously, the people who dont get it. I highly doubt they would be complaining if they did get it. In my opinion, its just jelousy that creates all this bitterness between non-EMA people.

couldn't have been more wrong

today
20-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I get £30, though £11 goes to transport and £10 goes for my dinner for the week, that hardly leaves me with much money.

£30 is not enough.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I get £30, though £11 goes to transport and £10 goes for my dinner for the week, that hardly leaves me with much money.

£30 is not enough.

try living on nothing :P

today
20-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Then your parents must earn enough money to provide for you really.

My mum only earns £7,000 a year, thats nothing.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Then your parents must earn enough money to provide for you really.

My mum only earns £7,000 a year, thats nothing.

Not really, you dont have a clue, my mam has like an £80k mortgage and has 4 children to raise. But tbh, i wouldn't take the money off her if she offered it to me. But ofcourse, the government takes non of this into consideration

Lycan
20-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Not really, you dont have a clue, my mam has like an £80k mortgage and has 4 children to raise. But tbh, i wouldn't take the money off her if she offered it to me. But ofcourse, the government takes non of this into consideration

i can't compare myself to your situation as my parrents have already paid off our mortgage and i'm the youngest son who isn't far from moving out anyway.. but both are retired after full carrers In the policeforce and teaching but having to get jobs to pay the bills and to make sure i can get the equipment and food required... luckily i'm close enough to college that it takes a 20 minute walk....

i guess yearly income after tax is the easist way the goverment can assign ema. lazy idiots

Jamie!
20-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I'd rather have my parents earning more than £30,000 (I think it is that?) combined, then getting £30 which is nothing really.

Lycan
20-09-2007, 03:40 PM
£30 a week is over £1000 a year

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:41 PM
i can't compare myself to your situation as my parrents have already paid off our mortgage and i'm the youngest son who isn't far from moving out anyway.. but both are retired after full carrers In the policeforce and teaching but having to get jobs to pay the bills and to make sure i can get the equipment and food required... luckily i'm close enough to college that it takes a 20 minute walk....

i guess yearly income after tax is the easist way the goverment can assign ema. lazy idiots

its before tax :)

and @ jamie, if you think your mam and dad would give you £120+ a mnth, then u must really be daft

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Right, lets put this into perspective. EMA is a load of bullcrap. They only look at anual wage of the household. Theres many other ways around this, i know people getting EMA that get 30£ a week and they have alot of good stuff, but some who don't. They should sort it out.
My dad earns £100k a year +. Its ******** that i don't get EMA. I need money to fund my studying as much as the next person. That money has to look after alot of things, etc 4 children, my mum, him and my grandparents who's in the nursing home. So, imo EMA is ********. I have to make money my own way as my dads taxes goes to pikeys who can get a propa job or just sponge of benifits.

Really. EMA should NOT excist.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Right, lets put this into perspective. EMA is a load of bullcrap. They only look at anual wage of the household. Theres many other ways around this, i know people getting EMA that get 30£ a week and they have alot of good stuff, but some who don't. They should sort it out.
My dad earns £100k a year +. Its ******** that i don't get EMA. I need money to fund my studying as much as the next person. That money has to look after alot of things, etc 4 children, my mum, him and my grandparents who's in the nursing home. So, imo EMA is ********. I have to make money my own way as my dads taxes goes to pikeys who can get a propa job or just sponge of benifits.

Really. EMA should NOT excist.

lol calm down

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 03:44 PM
As I don't have a lot of time I'm only making one small point for now...

The thing that annoys me most about it, is the fact if I need money I need to go out and get a job. Therefore I do not have as much time to study and therefore effectively do worse in my exams.

Meanwhile, just because the majority of peoples parents can't be bothered to get off their ****, other people get the same amount of money as I do from a job except they have the additional time to study and therefore do better in their exams as well?!

It's outrageous.

We should all get it or no-one should get it imo.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:45 PM

The thing that annoys me most about it, is the fact if I need money I need to go out and get a job. Therefore I do not have as much time to study and therefore effectively do worse in my exams.

Meanwhile, just because the majority of peoples parents can't be bothered to get off their ****, other people get the same amount of money as I do from a job except they have the additional time to study and therefore do better in their exams as well?!

It's outrageous.

lol as always, well said ;)

Lycan
20-09-2007, 03:46 PM

It's outrageous.

Straight to the Honest truth :)

Jazza
20-09-2007, 03:48 PM
EMA students get up to £30 a week just for turning up....
EMA students get a bonus at christmas and other holidays if all there work has been handed in...

No, we get one in February and one in May.

I get £30 per week and I think it's perfectly fair, my dad doesn't live with us and my mum is having to stay at home to home-school my sister so we have no income other than benefits. I'd bet most of you who don't get EMA get some sort of allowance for your parents, or they at least buy things for you so what do you have to complain about?

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:49 PM

I get £30 per week and I think it's perfectly fair, my dad doesn't live with us and my mum is having to stay at home to home-school my sister so we have no income other than benefits. I'd bet most of you who don't get EMA get some sort of allowance for your parents, or they at least buy things for you so what do you have to complain about?

wrong, i actual;ly get nothing off my parents. i dont understand why your mam cant get a job and send you daughter to school? And you do get one at christmas

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Haha and that's not me even started! :P

I simply think the fact that the government are in a way rewarding the fact that a large amount of people sit at home and live off benefits is simply going to make the situation of our society even worse. If they are given people at school such a benefit then they are immediatley being set a bad example from the very start and they are more likely to to go through life relying on benefits.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I understand some peoples parents both do work and circumstances etc. simply mean they have a low income - which is fair enough. But I just think everyone or no-one should have it.

They also don't take into account siblings. For example, an only child may receive EMA because their parents receive under the £30 000 or whatever and get £30 a week. However, I could have 6 brothers/sisters and therefore just because my parents earn above that amount there is obviously less being spent on us an individuals. I say this as my mother and father recently had a baby which is extremely expensive and I feel so guilty asking for money, then I hear other people being like "OH I GET MY £150 EMA BONUS THIS WEEK"... It's like ugh.. it's an utter disgrace.

Jazza
20-09-2007, 03:52 PM
wrong, i actual;ly get nothing off my parents. i dont understand why your mam cant get a job and send you daughter to school? And you do get one at christmas

Because she has polycystic ovaries and is ill a lot, so she got expelled for being absent so much. And we don't get one at Christmas, in the assembly on Monday they told us May and February.

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 03:53 PM

No actually your sadly mistaken. Just because peoples parents earn more than yours doesn't mean they give them anything they want when they want. I get given money to go to school and I get fed etc. as everyone else does by my parents. However, they don't just hand me £30 at the end of each week.

And your sitting saying it is "perfectly fair". Well, I'm glad you think it is for you cause it sure as hell aint fair on the people who don't get it.

Edit: And although I know not everyone who gets the EMA's parents are unemployed but from personal experience i know a lot are... In relation to that, why the hell should my parents spend their hard earned money just because yours are damn lazy?! (I would like to emphasise that is a generalisation as I know not everyone is in such a circumstance)

Papershop
20-09-2007, 03:56 PM
ye lol and then you get the people who complain that £30 isnt enough. Perhaps they should go out and find a job like the majority of us

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Because she has polycystic ovaries and is ill a lot, so she got expelled for being absent so much. And we don't get one at Christmas, in the assembly on Monday they told us May and February.

Thats ********, go to the docters and they sort it.

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 03:59 PM
£30 isn't enough? It is called EDUCATION MAINTENANCE ALLOWANCE for a reason... It's supposed to be used upon education.

I struggle to even think what you could spend £30 on in relation to your education every week, never mind the damn bonuses as well.

Oh yeh I forgot - you guys who get it are the ones who can afford to go out every week and can afford to buy new clothes and shopping whilst I need to work my *** off for it... Even though it's my parents giving you the money... :rolleyes:

today
20-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Actually, i been looking for a job though its all Xmas temp and thats no good, and as said my mum earns around £7,000 maybe a little less, and she has to pay bills, and rent, which takes nearly all the money she earns.

As said my EMA goes to travel costs and food costs, nothing else. If i didnt get EMA i would have to walk and i live TWO HOURS away from town, which means i would have to get up around 5ish.

For peopel who just use EMA for cloths ect, they shouldnt get it.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 04:03 PM
you shouldn't be picky over a job when you have no expieriance otherwise its obvious you wont get one

and some employers keep on christmas temps after christmas

today
20-09-2007, 04:04 PM
you shouldn't be picky over a job when you have no expieriance otherwise its obvious you wont get one

I do have experince.

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Like I already outlined, I do understand some people haev financial difficulties and therefore yes - they should be helped in some way.

But there's a difference of someone who's parents are out working and trying to make ends meet to those lying on their back sides all day and simply scrounging off the government.

Edit: Towards the job thing... Yeh do you think your the only one who finds it difficult to get a job? I looked for months before I finally got one. The fact you are on EMA whilst you look for a job is another benefit for you, as you still have a source of personal income whilst you try and get one whereas the rest of us don't.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:05 PM
They are not scrounging off the government, there taking OUR money, OUR taxes our hard work and they are doing crap all for it!

Papershop
20-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I do have experince.

well still, perhaps you should get up and try to find a job, and then maybe u could help your mam out with her financial difficulties

today
20-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Like I already outlined, I do understand some people haev financial difficulties and therefore yes - they should be helped in some way.

But there's a difference of someone who's parents are out working and trying to make ends meet to those lying on their back sides all day and simply scrounging off the government.

Edit: Towards the job thing... Yeh do you think your the only one who finds it difficult to get a job? I looked for months before I finally got one. The fact you are on EMA whilst you look for a job is another benefit for you, as you still have a source of personal income whilst you try and get one whereas the rest of us don't.
Jesus grow up, i get EMA so what? As i said i need EMA to get to college, otherwise i wouldnt bother.

I only get it as my mum, yes only mum i dont live with my dad works and its a POOR wage. And as i said, £10 dinner for the week, £11 mega rider. The rest is just my left over's which end up getting spent on board for my mum.

Edit:
Have you not read what i said? I AM looking for a job. "/

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 04:08 PM
well still, perhaps you should get up and try to find a job, and then maybe u could help your mam out with her financial difficulties

Like I said there is as much difficulty for someone o the EMA to get a job as there is for someone who isn't. The fact they have a steady income whilst looking is beneficial in comparison to someone like me who had no money whilst I was job hunting.

Anyway, ironically enough - I have to go to work now. Bye. :)

Papershop
20-09-2007, 04:10 PM
well perhaps you should take any job you find and not be so picky

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Look, i do nearly a days work to get 30£ and you LEARN AND GET PAYED. Nerf that. Stupid as hell. It takes away my time to do something important such as revise and your getting money for learning, no fairness in that. ALSO, you should not pay for transport, if your under 18 and in full time education you can get FREE transport in many forms.

Neil
20-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Last year I got £30 a week from 6th Form, I never used mine for travel, normally just bought games or food or something

Ramones
20-09-2007, 04:15 PM
i can't be bothered to read 7 pages so someone might of mentioned this but half the kids at my college have divorced parents and just live with their mum and only the one parents income is counted and they get £30 a week when really there dad still pays for everything and they're actually earning together more than half the people who aren't getting EMA. I'm not fussed though i have a job.

today
20-09-2007, 04:16 PM
well perhaps you should take any job you find and not be so picky
Working in a plaec where you DONT enjoy is no point, theres a chance of getting fired, which wont look good on a CV.

So there's no point, and my town, Nuneaton. Has no job openings in my area where i want to work, which by the way is Retail.

Not all town's are the same, my town has too many people so when a job is open too many people apply so it goe's to the "known people by staff" or something along them lines.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:18 PM
There are always jobs for people willing to work.

today
20-09-2007, 04:23 PM
There are always jobs for people willing to work.
Yes, in area's where i DONT want to work. :rolleyes:

Jazza
20-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Look, i do nearly a days work to get 30£ and you LEARN AND GET PAYED. Nerf that. Stupid as hell. It takes away my time to do something important such as revise and your getting money for learning, no fairness in that. ALSO, you should not pay for transport, if your under 18 and in full time education you can get FREE transport in many forms.

Not always, I have to cross a county border daily so I can't get any free transport.

£30 isn't enough? It is called EDUCATION MAINTENANCE ALLOWANCE for a reason... It's supposed to be used upon education.

Transport and food are used for education.

Oh yeh I forgot - you guys who get it are the ones who can afford to go out every week and can afford to buy new clothes and shopping whilst I need to work my *** off for it... Even though it's my parents giving you the money... :rolleyes:

Not everyone spends their money like that, the same argument could be used for everyone else who get allowances and have their parents buy them things.

They are not scrounging off the government, there taking OUR money, OUR taxes our hard work and they are doing crap all for it!

You call going to 6th form doing 'crap all'? When you are old enough to go why don't you tell us how easy it is.

I think all of you who are complaining just need to stop being so bitter that you don't get any and grow up.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, in area's where i DONT want to work. :rolleyes:

SO stop been a pike and get a hard graft job like the rest of people.

Jazza because you read the whole 7 pages didnt you?

As i said before were having to do a job, revise, do coursework and schoolwork. And people are just getting money and the free time. I wouldnt ******* care about this if i wasn't in college. So you should rethink what you say, and ''grow up'' your self.

Also you can get free transport. Grants for mopeds for example. Shut the hell up pls.

today
20-09-2007, 04:33 PM
SO stop been a pike and get a hard graft job like the rest of people.

Jazza because you read the whole 7 pages didnt you?

As i said before were having to do a job, revise, do coursework and schoolwork. And people are just getting money and the free time. I wouldnt ******* care about this if i wasn't in college. So you should rethink what you say, and ''grow up'' your self.

Also you can get free transport. Grants for mopeds for example. Shut the hell up pls.
I'm not, why would i want to work in lets say a care home, or a wearhouse where i'll never enjoy it. I've had a taste for Retail, clothing since work experince. I've worked in a shop before, im not going to change my job style for something i've never had proper experince in and i know i wont enjoy.

So stop trying to be the 'big one' and grow up.

I dont do ped's and all, i'll rather get the bus. Why? As its safer and i DONT want to drive, never. Its my choice. And im at a Nuneaton Training Centre, this means its NOT college so i DONT get discount in shops or free transports. I have to PAY.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not, why would i want to work in lets say a care home, or a wearhouse where i'll never enjoy it. I've had a taste for Retail, clothing since work experince. I've worked in a shop before, im not going to change my job style for something i've never had proper experince in and i know i wont enjoy.

So stop trying to be the 'big one' and grow up.

I dont do ped's and all, i'll rather get the bus. Why? As its safer and i DONT want to drive, never. Its my choice. And im at a Nuneaton Training Centre, this means its NOT college so i DONT get discount in shops or free transports. I have to PAY.

*Text Removed*

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not insult or be rude towards other forum members.

Papershop
20-09-2007, 04:36 PM
well stop complainging that £30 isnt enough, if your not prepared to take a job that you dont want to work in. Thats actually pathetic, o and btw if you get fired, you dont have to right it on your cv :)

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 04:37 PM
People who use there EMA for clothes, gigs etc need to get off there fat bottoms and get a job. As Ostinato said, it has EDUCATION in it for a reason, and £30 is enough for food, bus and a pen and a notebook. That's all you need "/ I really don't see the point in the EMA after school because most colleges are government funded and therefore you pay nothing for the education other than exam re-sits and possibly insurance for any trip injuries. Insurance is only a few pence at most colleges and course materials are below £30, if your college isn't stingey.

today
20-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Actually you google NUNEATON TRAINING CENTRE (Does not say college)

I go from 10 to half 3, and get friday off.

The Training Centre hence TRAINING is not College, we dont learn AS LEVEL's "/ Your the reject who cant face the fact you dont get EMA so you try and come on a online forum and take it out on others, now grow up and YOU fall off the cliff, would be much better and im sure the Govement would pay you to fall off. Seems you think you know it all, when clearly you DONT.

Get your facts right.

Edit:
Where i am (NTC) you have to pay for anything yourself as its a small company by the govement therefor trips and al i have to pay, this is why i get EMA to pay for trips, i DONT spend my EMA on clothes, as i said.

£11 Mega rider,
£10 Food
£5 Phone (if needed, though i dont always)
Any left over goes towards my mum for bills and all, after all i use water ect.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Actually you google NUNEATON TRAINING CENTRE (Does not say college)

I go from 10 to half 3, and get friday off.

The Training Centre hence TRAINING is not College, we dont learn AS LEVEL's "/ Your the reject who cant face the fact you dont get EMA so you try and come on a online forum and take it out on others, now grow up and YOU fall off the cliff, would be much better and im sure the Govement would pay you to fall off. Seems you think you know it all, when clearly you DONT.

Get your facts right.
*Text Removed*

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the forum filter.

today
20-09-2007, 04:40 PM
YOU RE A ******* ******. It doesn't matter what type of eduction your in as long as its full ******* time. *Text Removed* I said jump off a cliff not fall off anyhow

''Get your facts right''
:eusa_whis
Its NOT full time education, jesus.

http://www.ntcl.co.uk/e2e.html
READ THAT.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Its NOT full time education, jesus.

http://www.ntcl.co.uk/e2e.html
READ THAT.

You should not be getting EMA Then, simple.

AND LOL WHO -REPPED ME FOR RACISUM :D

Calling someone a pikey isnt racist.

And i just read that thing, LOL you go to a ****** college, learn to get propa education

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought you have to have full-time education to have an EMA, or is Connexions and the EMA website lying?

Pikey isn't a race :S It's like calling someone a chav "/ They're an idiot whoever they are.

today
20-09-2007, 04:43 PM

I havent -repped you once. Not yet.

As i said READ that, it shows what it does and it clearly says "READY FOR WORK" So it means im TRYING, unlike others.

My EMA is done through Connections otherwise i dont get EMA. I Spend two days at Connections and the rest at NTC.

Its NOTHING like college.

Im fed up of explaing, just stop being jelous once in your life, its only £30 hardly branking the bank, as i said i wont reply now as i see no point i said my point your to stupid to respect it.

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I havent -repped you once. Not yet.

As i said READ that, it shows what it does and it clearly says "READY FOR WORK" So it means im TRYING, unlike others.

My EMA is done through Connections otherwise i dont get EMA. I Spend two days at Connections and the rest at NTC.

Its NOTHING like college.

Im fed up of explaing, just stop being jelous once in your life, its only £30 hardly branking the bank, as i said i wont reply now as i see no point i said my point your to stupid to respect it.
So how are you getting an EMA when you are not in full-time education? Normally the EMA are very strict and can find things like this out,

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 04:46 PM
So how are you getting an EMA when you are not in full-time education? Normally the EMA are very strict and can find things like this out,

So true, i'd lol irl if he had to pay it all back.

Lycan
20-09-2007, 04:50 PM
EMA talk to the educational placement in the exchange of paper work.. he is going to a educational workplace... therefore he qualifies for EMA, it isn't conventional college but its still a place of 6th form year based learning

today
20-09-2007, 04:54 PM
EMA talk to the educational placement in the exchange of paper work.. he is going to a educational workplace... therefore he qualifies for EMA, it isn't conventional college but its still a place of 6th form year based learning
Thank you.

At least you understand, +Rep.

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 04:56 PM
But the EMA website AND Connexions specifcally say "If you are in full-time education you quality for the EMA.' He maybe in an education workplace, but he isn't a full-time student, which is what you need to quality for the EMA, not where you're learning, that's chucked into the bundle anyway.

You can get an EMA if:

* You are 16 to 19 years old between 1 March 2007 and 28 February 2008 and staying on in education from August 2006;
* Your household income is £31,528 or below;
* Your course involves at least 21 hours of guided learning per week and;
* You sign a valid Learning Agreement with your school.

Working from 10am-3pm 3 times a week isn't enough to make you qualify.

today
20-09-2007, 05:00 PM
But the EMA website AND Connexions specifcally say "If you are in full-time education you quality for the EMA.' He maybe in an education workplace, but he isn't a full-time student, which is what you need to quality for the EMA, not where you're learning, that's chucked into the bundle anyway.

You can get an EMA if:

* You are 16 to 19 years old between 1 March 2007 and 28 February 2008 and staying on in education from August 2006;
* Your household income is £31,528 or below;
* Your course involves at least 21 hours of guided learning per week and;
* You sign a valid Learning Agreement with your school.

I said i wouldnt reply but i am, Connexions did the EMA for me, so it is through them, as i said i didnt apply they did it for me. :rolleyes: The contract was signed by Connexions AND Nuneaton Training Centre (:

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 05:02 PM
But Connexions should be under administration by the EMA? Maybe because of the place you are learning is a bit out of the ordinary, they make an exception? Because that would be the reason I can think of.

today
20-09-2007, 05:03 PM
But Connexions should be under administration by the EMA? Maybe because of the place you are learning is a bit out of the ordinary, they make an exception? Because that would be the reason I can think of.
I'm not sure, i dont ask, as i said Connexions and NTC both signed and agreed to pay me EMA (£30) a week if i attend full.

It werent my idea of getting paid, i did it for experince getting paid was just a extra. Im doing the E2E for experince on my CV, nothing else.

GommeInc
20-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure, i dont ask, as i said Connexions and NTC both signed and agreed to pay me EMA (£30) a week if i attend full.

It werent my idea of getting paid, i did it for experince getting paid was just a extra. Im doing the E2E for experince on my CV, nothing else.
Must be a rare exception. As you said, your education place wants you to pay for everything so that led to your place to get you an EMA through Connexions. Kinda makes sense.

today
20-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I guess when you say it like that yes,

Though i would rather not have to pay for anything and not get EMA, as EMA is not enough if i want to make the max out of my course.

Though when i do go out on placement i only get EMA and nothing else, unless the company hire's me then i'll get min wage and no EMA.

Dan2nd
20-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Thats like me I don't get EMA so I just got a part time job and have earned alot more than my friends who do get EMA anyway so meh I'm not bothered it'll just mean they'll have less life exprience than me.

Andeeh
20-09-2007, 05:27 PM
My Sis now finished college but she got Ema. And Its £30 If parents earn 25k under

and i think £20 if its 30k - 35k I think nyway :)

whoooosh
20-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I hate it !!
i think its so stupidly rubbish
why should some people get it and others not !
either give it to everyone or no one.
no one spends it on college !!

FlyingJesus
20-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Everyone who doesn't get EMA and comes out with sob stories about how your parents don't spoil you, shut up.

Yeah ok, your parents go to work, get there money and have to pay for taxes, mortgages, food, bills and all that. Congratulations, join everyone else. The point is that your parents get more than someone elses, and it's highly likely that the difference is much more than £1000, which is about how much you'll get per year on EMA. Oh noez, they don't give you £30 a week, boo hoo. You're still better off than us, whether personally or not, and in times of need your families will be more able to help you financially.

Someone said their dad earns £100,000 a year, and yet complained that they didn't get EMA. You can call EMA a disgusting waste of money or whatever, but what's even more disgusting is that rich people complain because they want more. My mum earns something like £18,000 a year I think, less than a fifth of this guy's dad, and yet he complains about £1000PA.

Yeah I get £30 a week to spend as I will, but no I don't have all the other luxuries that richer families have. We have a nice house sure, and I'm proud of my mum for keeping it as she does with the money she has, and I'm grateful for every penny she spends on us and for every penny that I get from EMA which means I don't have to sponge off her, but we don't have the best cars, the premium foods, the newest gadgets, the big brand clothes and accessories. If you're richer than the EMA cut-off amount, then don't complain about £1000 difference that we get personally just because it's not you that has it.

Also Al, you usually come up with some decent arguments but you wrote such a load of hot ******* about parents not working and living off benefits. I don't know what people are like in Scotland but the only person I know whose parents live off benefits and/or isn't looking for work is someone whose mum can't because she has MS.

I wasn't planning on getting into this argument properly (as you may tell from my earlier post), but when people are so pig ignorant about reality it really does make me wonder what goes through peoples' minds other than themselves.

Lycan
20-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Everyone who doesn't get EMA and comes out with sob stories about how your parents don't spoil you, shut up.

Yeah ok, your parents go to work, get there money and have to pay for taxes, mortgages, food, bills and all that. Congratulations, join everyone else. The point is that your parents get more than someone elses, and it's highly likely that the difference is much more than £1000, which is about how much you'll get per year on EMA. Oh noez, they don't give you £30 a week, boo hoo. You're still better off than us, whether personally or not, and in times of need your families will be more able to help you financially.

Someone said their dad earns £100,000 a year, and yet complained that they didn't get EMA. You can call EMA a disgusting waste of money or whatever, but what's even more disgusting is that rich people complain because they want more. My mum earns something like £18,000 a year I think, less than a fifth of this guy's dad, and yet he complains about £1000PA.

Yeah I get £30 a week to spend as I will, but no I don't have all the other luxuries that richer families have. We have a nice house sure, and I'm proud of my mum for keeping it as she does with the money she has, and I'm grateful for every penny she spends on us and for every penny that I get from EMA which means I don't have to sponge off her, but we don't have the best cars, the premium foods, the newest gadgets, the big brand clothes and accessories. If you're richer than the EMA cut-off amount, then don't complain about £1000 difference that we get personally just because it's not you that has it.

Also Al, you usually come up with some decent arguments but you wrote such a load of hot ******* about parents not working and living off benefits. I don't know what people are like in Scotland but the only person I know whose parents live off benefits and/or isn't looking for work is someone whose mum can't because she has MS.

I wasn't planning on getting into this argument properly (as you may tell from my earlier post), but when people are so pig ignorant about reality it really does make me wonder what goes through peoples' minds other than themselves.

What about thoose of Us non Ema, that miss the cut off by 10,000 ... or 20,000 with large families .... doesn't mean we are better off then a single parrent family earning 17,000

But then again.... each week a child benefit allowance which i personally see none of can bring in another £20

FlyingJesus
20-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Miss the cut off by £10-20k? That's a lot of extra money for you to be worrying about £1k, and yeah there's child benefits for bigger families. I have 2 other siblings, and we get child benefits for me and my brother (my sister's 20 so get nothing for her), but we don't see it personally because that's not what it's for.

The point of EMA isn't to give you money so your parents don't have to - I'm well aware that most parents don't dish out £30 a week to their kids. The point is that people earning under £30kPA generally can't afford to give their kids extra money for college even if they would like to.

today
20-09-2007, 06:19 PM
...The point of EMA isn't to give you money so your parents don't have to - I'm well aware that most parents don't dish out £30 a week to their kids. The point is that people earning under £30kPA generally can't afford to give their kids extra money for college even if they would like to.

Thats well put, Getting 10k over the limit makes a very big difference, as that 10k might not be spent on you, but generally it means your parents can afford to pay for you, if they dont then you should contact a certain place, or college as im sure they do funds for people who cant afford and all.

EMA is nothing compared to some wages you can earn.

Lycan
20-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Miss the cut off by £10-20k? That's a lot of extra money for you to be worrying about £1k, and yeah there's child benefits for bigger families. I have 2 other siblings, and we get child benefits for me and my brother (my sister's 20 so get nothing for her), but we don't see it personally because that's not what it's for.

The point of EMA isn't to give you money so your parents don't have to - I'm well aware that most parents don't dish out £30 a week to their kids. The point is that people earning under £30kPA generally can't afford to give their kids extra money for college even if they would like to.

To be Honest... i know that i miss the the border for EMA by a tiny bit and i can't consider my parrents well off, it would be lying to say they are the poor peeps who normally get ema but still... i work the same as everyone else and have less money then them...

friend of mine last year who left after year 1 of 2. was actually one of the richest in the year and got EMA , and when i say richist i mean you name it he had it... and no, he didnt have a job.... he screwed about and got paid £30 a week and didnt need it

Dan2nd
20-09-2007, 06:43 PM
To be Honest... i know that i miss the the border for EMA by a tiny bit and i can't consider my parrents well off, it would be lying to say they are the poor peeps who normally get ema but still... i work the same as everyone else and have less money then them...

friend of mine last year who left after year 1 of 2. was actually one of the richest in the year and got EMA , and when i say richist i mean you name it he had it... and no, he didnt have a job.... he screwed about and got paid £30 a week and didnt need it

O.o at my college if you mess about you don't get your EMA.

I'm not really bothered about EMA as I earn around £64 from my part time job a week and don't need it. I also agree with alot of what FlyingJesus said as I am one of those people who come from one of those 'well off familys' and have friends who are alot less fortunet than me and have seen first hand how lucky I am and how EMA helps them. I don't think I personally sponge off my parents because I like the indepence of having my own money and not having to ask my parents to buy me stuff. The only thing my parents have really treated me on is my car, which again my friends used their EMA to help save up for..

FlyingJesus
20-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll admit there are cases where people get it and clearly don't need it - my best friend gets £30 per week and is a rich guy - has a nice house and loads of stuff etc., but he gets EMA because his dad (who earns several bucket loads) doesn't live with him and his mum's partner who lives with them doesn't have her wages counted in the household because for some reason there's a loophole for gay/lesbians who aren't together through civil ceremony. However, I don't think it's fair to those who do need it to say that it should be scrapped just because of a tiny amount of people who don't need the money they get.

iluv2spam
20-09-2007, 07:28 PM
You have no idea the amount of tax you pay for earning that much. Familys earning just over that 30k bracket are normally worse off then people earning less, due to tax and other things that people get from having a low wage, the mass benifits.

Galaxay1
20-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I get £20 a week to go to school ( 2 years to go) :P

today
20-09-2007, 09:04 PM
You have no idea the amount of tax you pay for earning that much. Familys earning just over that 30k bracket are normally worse off then people earning less, due to tax and other things that people get from having a low wage, the mass benifits.
Then they shouldnt get high wage jobs, or face tax.

Frodo13.
20-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Thats one of the most stupid things Ive heard of in my life! My family earn 30,460 and I think the EMA cut off if about 30,810 (I only just get EMA) and my family isn't worst off then, for example, single parent familys who are more then likely to earn less then £30,810. Yes, so our family dont get the whole 30,460 because of tax, but familys earning much less are still getting tax taken off them, so it dont make much diffrence really.

Dave,
20-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Reading peoples posts you all seem to be split on the topic.

A lot of people are saying "people who don't get EMA are just jealous so that is why they are complaining"

Even though this is slightly true, I mean I'd love to get £30 a week just for turning up to college.

But really I'm not fussed that I don't get it. I just believe that the £1500 spend on each student on £30 a week could be put back in to Universities so that in the end students don't get in to so much debt.

I haven't explained my personal circumstances in this situation. I don't recieve EMA because my dad earns roughly £45k+ a year. He works on commission so it is never guaranteed that he will earn this. But my parents are a little older than most and my dad is looking to retire in the next 5 years. He won't get a high pension from the state so for the last 10 years over half his wages go in to savings for retirement. Then when you take away taxes, bills including food, running of cars and personal luxuries such as new clothes then it doesn't leave us with that much more money. So in turn I'm not getting any extra. Now like I said my bus card for the year is £340 and my course are expensive. I do Photography so if I wanted to get about 30 images printed largely then it would cost me about £15 out of my own money, which when I'm doing coursework could be every week. I also have a part time job with full time college so I have to earn my own money.

But after all this I still don't want EMA. I would rather it be put in to Universities so that tuition fees can be lowered.

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 10:24 PM

I have outlined pretty clearly throughout that the posts I have been making have indeed been very general and used very grouped terms and examples. I understand and respect the fact not all situations and people getting EMA are the same and I know that some people simply aren't as well off as others due to whatever circumstances.

I have already said that I feel such cases are acceptable and if someone is perhaps getting the money whos parents are doing all they can to make ends meet - then fair enough.

However, I must honestly say, that in Scotland we do have a high unemployment rate and a huge number of people in my area just sponge off the government and our parents. It really does anger me tbh because like I said before, they are the ones who are getting the income whilst being able to concentrate on school whilst I am having to jeaprodise my future and how well I do in exams as I am forced to go and get a job.

I just feel for those in that situation, the whole EMA policy is outrageous as it is simply conforming to help encourage them to live off others moreso as it is being demonstrated to them that they can from an early stage.

I feel the fact that it is education maintenance allowance it should be spent on either education related or upon helping yourself etc. in relation to relative financial needs. Not jist for new games or clothes because that defeats the whole purpose of it and to be honest makes a mockery of the system. However, that's why I feel the system is so flawed because the government takes no action to help advise on what to spend the money on etc. but simply throws away this cash radically and teenagers are going out blowing it on whatever they want.

It's well and good to say that because our parents are "richer" we get allowances or they will just help us whenever they need because they have the cash lying around. Well you may think I am naive or ignorant, but you are also if you think this is the case. I have a 4 month year old baby and let me tell you - it isn't Beverly Hills in here with cash. If I need money for something at the moment, I pay for it myself with my own pay check - which I go out and earn.

Also, when I go to university I will need to take out a student loan which I then have to pay back when I leave, so am ultimately getting into debt for having the ambition to carry my education on further. Why should I have to get in debt because of this, whilst other people get an EMA (a greater amount of money in Uni's) which prevents them from doing so? It's completely ironic as basically my parents are supporting you to go to uni by spending money through taxes on EMA whilst they can't afford to help me, but I get into debt over it? Sorry - but that isn't right.

At the end of the day I just feel you shouldn't be getting money for going and doing the exact same thing as I am.

I also know a lot of you are saying it's just the people who get it that moan. Well to be honest that is obviously going to be the norm as expected because it is seriously unjust towards us, however if I was capable of getting it I definitely know I would still hold the same views upon it as I personalyl feel the scheme as a whole is an unfair shambles.

Dave,
20-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I feel I wasn't too clear in my opening post.

I know that EMA does help a lot of people etc and I guess to some this can seem like a thread where 'rich kids' are moaning.

But my only thought on EMA really is having money put in to University.

Its £9k just for a 3 year course and that doesn't include your accommodation and living expenses. If the money saved on EMA could be put back in to Uni then a lot more students would be helped. It would probably make the prospect of going to Uni appeal to more since they wouldn't fear getting in to debt.

I think a better system for less fortunate people would be for them to claim money back that they use for college. Say its £30 a month for a travel pass, give the receipt to an EMA type organization and claim the money back. The same with college supplies. This would help out those who need the money but cut out those who wrongly get EMA.

And then like I said put the money back in to Uni.

Jazza
20-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Also, when I go to university I will need to take out a student loan which I then have to pay back when I leave, so am ultimately getting into debt for having the ambition to carry my education on further. Why should I have to get in debt because of this, whilst other people get an EMA (a greater amount of money in Uni's) which prevents them from doing so? It's completely ironic as basically my parents are supporting you to go to uni by spending money through taxes on EMA whilst they can't afford to help me, but I get into debt over it? Sorry - but that isn't right.

You aren't the only one who has to pay for Uni, EMA will only cover me until I'm 19 and if I take the 3 year course I have planned to I will only get it for the first term, which will nowhere near cover the £3,070 yearly tuition fees never mind living costs and accomodation. Nobody gets a free ride.

Oh by the way, you don't have to start paying back Student loans until you are earning over £25,000 per year so you won't have to pay it back as soon as you leave.

Ostinato
20-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I know you don't have to start paying back your loan until then. However, whilst I am struggling on a low income on my first year or whatever at university upon a student loan - you have an extra £1000 or whatever from the bursary? Why should you just because my parents are qualified?

Soka
21-09-2007, 12:41 PM
i think that EMA is ridiculous in some cases, and justified in others

each situation needs to be treated differently in my opinion

people who just go to college for the ema ****** me off, because i think they should go because they want a levels, not jsut for the money
i am not at all jealous of people who get 30 quid a week and EMA should be forced to spent on the right things i feel, rather than a packet of **** like most people who get it do (not all).

and i agree with dave in the tuition fees idea because they are ridiculously high, my brother's going to uni tomoz and hes doing a 4 years masters degree and as him or me have never got ema because my dad earns quite a bit more than the requirement + my mum's 20 k job makes it impossible for us to get it, so hes gona be in debt of about 30 k when he comes out cos of tuition fees, food, accomodation + socialising

hobo
21-09-2007, 12:59 PM
i think either everyone should get it, or nobody should.

I also think it's insane that the amount of children in a family isn't taken into account. I have a brother and a sister, and my parents earn over the upper limit for EMA, but with three children and a house big enough to accommodate all of us to pay for, they can't afford to give me money.
My parents have never given me money, because they can't, and my christmas and birthday presents have always been pretty small compared to most. But still, I don't get EMAs and all my friends do, and they all seem to get a lot more money from their parents.
For example, one girl is an only child whose mother is a single parent. They live in a council house, so no mortgage to pay, and because there's only one child the mother can afford to give her money, but she still gets £30 a month.
I've worked since I was 14 because i had too, and i don't think it's fair that i don't get it.

It's the same with University loans. The amount you can take out depends on your parents income, which again i don't think is fair. Same goes for burserys etc.

does my head in!!!

today
21-09-2007, 01:35 PM
It wont change for you, you dont get it, oh well.

The money is spent to give others a chance, tough luck if you dont get it, and if people spend it on what they want ratehr then their education, its their life they screw up.

But really, stop maoning the EMA is pointless, you wouldnt moan if you got it, and when you go "i dont want it" you really need to stop lieing.

But carry on moaning, i dont really give a care.

/Bye.

hobo
21-09-2007, 01:40 PM

The money is spent to give others a chance, tough luck if you dont get it, and if people spend it on what they want ratehr then their education, its their life they screw up.

But really, stop maoning the EMA is pointless, you wouldnt moan if you got it, and when you go "i dont want it" you really need to stop lieing.

/Bye.

people aren't screwing up their lives by spending it on other stuff :/
if i didn't need it and got it, i'd spend it on booze and stuff too.
it is pointless.

seattlegrace
21-09-2007, 02:21 PM

/Bye.

Why are you trying to actually make a point? The money is spent for resources that aren't even essential, alot of the time. You're the sort of person who doesn't deserve the so called privileges that are given out, if you try making a point and it isn't accepted, you claim you don't care. If you didn't care you wouldn't have tried making that point, so do everybody a favour and just shutup.

Papershop
21-09-2007, 03:37 PM

/Bye.

Theres no point really making an arguement with you because you get the full £30 and you arent really considerate for anyone else. We are moaning because we dont get it, but its the fact that the system is unjust and is rewarding people for doing nothing.

Lycan
21-09-2007, 03:40 PM
This week i ended up lending EMA students money because there EMA won't get paid to them until next week.... and they needed food... will they lend or buy me lunch from the free oney they have.... God No .. i end up getting owed and i have very little money.. i've already gone 1 year without EMA, i don't mind going through another but it would be nice if the rules considering EMA were reviewed or discussed without a Snob who gets the money telling us to stop moaning because we can't get it... how would you like it if suddenly your parrent/s got a promotion at work and suddenly earned just over the EMA Max Cutoff, then you lost your EMA ... would you be moaning... Yeah,

Ramones
21-09-2007, 03:53 PM
i missed the £10 one by like £200 and then applied for one of those other random ones like ALA and got rejected, i'ma ask my mum to take a few weeks off work this year so i can get it next year

today
21-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Theres no point really making an arguement with you because you get the full £30 and you arent really considerate for anyone else. We are moaning because we dont get it, but its the fact that the system is unjust and is rewarding people for doing nothing.

I work for my EMA, i make sure i do. :rolleyes: I may be one of the few who actually do work to earn the EMA instead of doing **** all and still getting paid.

Its down to the teachers and all that to let EMA know if they work or not, if they dont tell the govenment then they still get paid, so dont blame us blame the teachers get me?

Papershop
21-09-2007, 04:02 PM
erm no, i work at college, the idea of college is to go and DO WORk and hopefully pass at the end of the year.That is what college is all about

today
21-09-2007, 04:05 PM
erm no, i work at college, the idea of college is to go and DO WORk and hopefully pass at the end of the year.That is what college is all about
Once again, i dont go college so i dont know.

alexxxxx
21-09-2007, 04:10 PM
i don't think i'm eligible. =[

beth
21-09-2007, 04:11 PM
i don't get ema, but my parents can't afford to give me £30 a week. i'm like £1,000 over the top limit which is pretty annoying seeing all my friends get given money and i'm getting nothing.

Ramones
21-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Once again, i dont go college so i dont know.

what do you do at this random 'non college' thing you go to?

Galaxay1
21-09-2007, 05:50 PM
its called school.

today
21-09-2007, 07:52 PM
its called school.
No, its a Training Centre.

what do you do at this random 'non college' thing you go to?
- City & Guilds Courses
- Courses such as First Aid, Fire, Retail, Tills, Equal Op, Theif.
- Project buildings (Such as local revamps, gardens, helping older people)
- Working in shops (free of charge for a month of a time, experince)

Everything we do either helps ourself or others.
I guess this is why i get EMA.

iluv2spam
21-09-2007, 07:54 PM
No, its a Training Centre.

- City & Guilds Courses
- Courses such as First Aid, Fire, Retail, Tills, Equal Op, Theif.
- Project buildings (Such as local revamps, gardens, helping older people)
- Working in shops (free of charge for a month of a time, experince)

Everything we do either helps ourself or others.
I guess this is why i get EMA.

What a great place that must be, he learns how to steal :rolleyes:

today
21-09-2007, 07:55 PM
No, we learn how to deal with theif's and how to spot them.

Lycan
21-09-2007, 07:57 PM
No, we learn how to deal with theif's and how to spot them.

indeed, normally its the one putting items they havn't paid for in there pockets, while wearing a large grey trenchcoat with shiftyeyes.

iluv2spam
21-09-2007, 07:59 PM
indeed, normally its the one putting items they havn't paid for in there pockets, while wearing a large grey trenchcoat with shiftyeyes.

They also teach common sense at his so called ''learning centre''

today
21-09-2007, 08:02 PM
They also teach common sense at his so called ''learning centre''

Actually its less likely to be people with tenchcoats and all, there's many theifs stealing things a day, we had to do research in certain shops i was choosen to do Peacocks (what joy =/) And each day roughly 3/4 items are stolen from the fitting rooms at least, thats not including any items on the shopfloor. :)

The common "type" to steal is the lads who wear loose jeans and baggy tops, and well girls, females are the "pregrant with kids" alomost chav, but not there yet.

Papershop
21-09-2007, 08:49 PM

i lol'd +rep

infact, need to spread ;)

JackHb
25-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I loved EMA, 60 quid every two weeks, and they gave me free transport on top of that, and then 2 pound allowance a day i was allowed to spend on food in the canteen.

Q-tech
11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I thought EMA was to incourage people who didnt have alot of money to go back to school so they can get a better job so they dont get low income when they are older?
I will be getting EMA when i am older. One thing that is bugging me about all these EMA threads is that they are saying that you're parents failed or didnt go to school/univertsty - that isnt the case. My mother went to universty and has a good job but just doesnt get a high salary - doesnt mean she failed?
The only reason i will be getting it is beacause my mum is a single parent.
also all the people who are like enjoy my tax's or w/e. You probally pay £1 or more towards ema only maybe not even that - do you want us to give you £1 a day just to make you happy?
(You can post your opinions on this - just dont flame kthnx.)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!