PDA

View Full Version : A gudie to jingles

Hayd93
24-10-2007, 08:46 AM
A guide to jingles
By Hayd93

What is a jingle?
A jingle is something that advertises a product a person a show or anything you can thing of.Jingles have to have a person speaking on them to tell you about the product or person.They are usually about 10-30 seconds long and usually short.The reason they are short is so you can remember the product better.like look at Chris Moyles loads of people remember the jingle"the Chris moyles show national radio 1".

Whats a voiceover?
A voiceover or v/o as it is most commonly know is just speaking eg the Chris moyles show national radio 1"this will have no music in it and no special fx but it may have effects put on the voice.

Whats a montage?
A montage is usually just small clips of music put together.These usually have sfx in and sometimes have fx on the music eg flange.These sometimes have something in the middle eg"All the hits all the time"

Dry?
When you go to order jingles from a company they usually say they give you a fully produced jingle and they also give you a dry jingle.A dry jingle is basically a voiceover but with no fx what so ever.They give you this so u can make your own jingles if you have some fx.

Imaging
Basically a posh name for jingles usually known as radio imaging.

Beds
No not to sleep on beds are basically backings that go in the background of you jingle

Programs
interested in making some jingles well here is some programs so are free others cost loads.

Cool edit pro/Adobe audition (PAY)
Protools (PAY)
Audacity (free)
Cubase (pay)
Reason (PAY)

Company's
Want to pay for some jingles well here is some company's to help you out

www.rpcaudio.co.uk (http://www.rpcaudio.co.uk) (recommended)
www.custom-jingles.com (http://www.custom-jingles.com)
www.tempestradio.com (http://www.tempestradio.com)
www.olliejames.net (http://www.olliejames.net)

You can listen to there demos on there website.My personally favorite it rpc they are pretty expensive but sound pro and 24 hour delivery.

FX
want to make some jingles then well i Will give you this helpful site.Great for fx and backings and even get v/o's done for you for free.

www.radiodaddy.com (http://www.radiodaddy.com)

Okay so i hope that helped you any other questions or addons just put below.

Thanks
Dan

Jamieb
24-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Thats nice of you :)

Hayd93
24-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Thats nice of you :)
cheers ye i just get loads of post on here or loads of pm's asking about jingles so i thought make a guide

BigglesTheGreat
24-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Your definitions aren't exactly entirely correct.

A jingle is a catchy theme song that advertises a company or product - e.g. (for Australians) "13 00 6 555 06" or "I've got the hots for what's in the box, the box with the dots, I've got the hots for what's in the box with the dots...Dominoooos."

Dry/Raw - yep.

I've never heard the term 'montage' used before. Industry term is simply Station Promo or Topper/Starter usually used at the top of the hour in commercial radio in place of news or at the beginning of an ad break.

Imaging: It's not a fancy industry term at all and is not always a jingle (if it's a station theme song, then yes, it's a jingle). Most short fillers fall under imaging: sweepers, stings, idents, etc.

Software: To write a "jingle," per say, you're going to need, at the least, a decent soundcard with midi support and a midi keyboard (and of course decent microphone, etc). May as well go all out and deck out your home studio.

Hayd93
24-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Your definitions aren't exactly entirely correct.

A jingle is a catchy theme song that advertises a company or product - e.g. (for Australians) "13 00 6 555 06" or "I've got the hots for what's in the box, the box with the dots, I've got the hots for what's in the box with the dots...Dominoooos."

Dry/Raw - yep.

I've never heard the term 'montage' used before. Industry term is simply Station Promo or Topper/Starter usually used at the top of the hour in commercial radio in place of news or at the beginning of an ad break.

Imaging: It's not a fancy industry term at all and is not always a jingle (if it's a station theme song, then yes, it's a jingle). Most short fillers fall under imaging: sweepers, stings, idents, etc.

Software: To write a "jingle," per say, you're going to need, at the least, a decent soundcard with midi support and a midi keyboard (and of course decent microphone, etc). May as well go all out and deck out your home studio.
yesi suppose but some people may get a v/o off radio daddy then all u need is some good softwear and maybe some good moniters (speakers)

Also any chance of a couple of dry v/o's doing ?

BigglesTheGreat
24-10-2007, 10:25 AM
yesi suppose but some people may get a v/o off radio daddy then all u need is some good softwear and maybe some good moniters (speakers)

Also any chance of a couple of dry v/o's doing ?
I just have to make up an XLR -> 6.5mm lead so that I can get a mic. into my new external soundcard.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!