PDA

View Full Version : BIOSHOCK WON GAME OF THE YEAR

Fez
24-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Well heres the first of many GOTY for Bioshock.

BAFTA Britain's premiere awards ceremony for games gave Bioshock game of the year, it beat God Of War 2,Wii Sports,Gears Of War,Guitar hero 2,Crysis and Kayne and Lynch, 2 of those game we have not played yet, but where submitted before the september 15th deadline.

Other notable winners where.

Artistic achievement = Okami

Innovation = Wii Sports

Story and character=God Of War 2

Technical achievement = God of War 2

Use of audio = Crackdown

Best Original Musical Score = Okami

Public vote = Football Manager 2007

For those in the UK the BAFTA awards ceremony will be broadcast on C4 later in the week.

On an interesting note Will Wright was given a special award

Sims creator Will Wright has received the highest accolade the BAFTA can bestow on an individual for their creative work.

Wright will be inducted into BAFTA's Fellowship at the British Academy Video Games Awards 2007. Until now, the Fellowship was reserved for film and television notables such as Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, and Steven Spielberg.

The British Academy says that it recognises the massive impact of videogames on popular culture and their huge contribution to the whole art form of the moving image.

"Will's immense, creative body of work and his continued contribution to the industry make him a most worthy recipient of the Fellowship and being such a pioneer, we are thrilled that he will be the first person to receive this honour," said Academy chairman Hilary Bevan Jones.

Wright has been creating games for more than twenty years, working on titles such as Raid On Bungling Bay before creating the first SimCity in 1989. The Sims franchise which Wright brought to fruition has sold 58 million units.

This year's Awards will be held on October 23 in London, and will be broadcast on E4 on November 4 and repeated the following weekend on Channel 4.

Go Bioshock!

Azul
24-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Well deserved if you ask me.

Neil
24-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Well that's a surprise, title really should be "Bioshock won a Game of the year award"
I wonder what Gamespots GoTY will be

Fez
24-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Well that's a surprise, title really should be "Bioshock won a Game of the year award"
I wonder what Gamespots GoTY will be
But this means it'll get a GoTY Edition

It's these awards that decide that

Neil
24-10-2007, 02:44 PM
But this means it'll get a GoTY Edition

It's these awards that decide that

Not all games release a GoTY edition :P

PaulMacC
24-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Smash Bros is winning GOTY next year.

Neil
24-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Smash Bros is winning GOTY next year.

I disagree, GTA4 will win, judging by how it's going so far I'd say it will anyway

Aflux
24-10-2007, 06:35 PM
What the hell.

Those judges are ******s, on most of the awards.

Andeeh
24-10-2007, 06:39 PM
What the hell.

Those judges are ******s, on most of the awards.

True

i agree Bioshock won (considering nominations)

I was wondering why Halo 3 wasnt even on the list?

Halo 3 was way overrated yes.

but why wasnt it on the list?

Neil
24-10-2007, 06:54 PM
True

i agree Bioshock won (considering nominations)

I was wondering why Halo 3 wasnt even on the list?

Halo 3 was way overrated yes.

but why wasnt it on the list?

Released to late perhaps?

Aflux
24-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Released to late perhaps?
GoW.

I think that's all I need to say.

Oh, and, the innovative award is always going to go, unfairly, to a Wii game every year.

Neil
24-10-2007, 07:08 PM
This being BAFTAs I would imagine the list would of been finalised months ago, and I highly doubt they'll add any "late submissions" no matter what it is which could be a reason

And yea Wii does get that award unfairly but none of the other consoles have "innovative" games

Aflux
24-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Innovative can mean anything; the 'Be a Pro' mode in FIFA is innovative.

If they were finalized months ago, why was BioShock included?

Neil
24-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Innovative can mean anything; the 'Be a Pro' mode in FIFA is innovative.

If they were finalized months ago, why was BioShock included?

I didn't say it was finalized months ago I said it could of been or they just don't add games with hype like Halo 3s because it would of been unfair
And what the hell is "be a pro" :rolleyes:

Oni
24-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Its not unfair that the wii wins it, wii games are the most innovative so deserve it. Just as if there was a online catagory the 360 games would nearly always win and if there was a rubbish games catagory ps3 games would nearly always win (PS3 fans its a joke dont take it personally.)

Neil
24-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Its not unfair that the wii wins it, wii games are the most innovative so deserve it. Just as if there was a online catagory the 360 games would nearly always win and if there was a rubbish games catagory ps3 games would nearly always win (PS3 fans its a joke dont take it personally.)

No because all Wii games are innovative one way or another, the 360 and PS3 need to try alot harder to bring something than the Wii does because they can do some much more when it comes to innovity

Oni
24-10-2007, 07:30 PM
No because all Wii games are innovative one way or another, the 360 and PS3 need to try alot harder to bring something than the Wii does because they can do some much more when it comes to innovity
Yes but easyness doesnt come into it, its the most innovative. Nintendo invents a new control system and they have to think of the best ways to use that. Lets be honest standard control pads have been out much longer and there isnt much left to do with them.

Neil
24-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes but easyness doesnt come into it, its the most innovative. Nintendo invents a new control system and they have to think of the best ways to use that. Lets be honest standard control pads have been out much longer and there isnt much left to do with them.

"Easyness" does come into it, the Wii is something new, PS3 and 360 are almost the same, the Wii has alot of things it can do on it's games that make them innovative, games like "cooking mama", "trauma center"
The PS3 and 360 can't do that because they use standard joypads, which makes it harder to come up with innovative games

Aflux
24-10-2007, 07:33 PM
It is unfair, all Wii's games are innovative because the Wii is innovative.

There isn't a, best dashboard award is there?

Oh, and be-a-pro, Google it.

Oni
24-10-2007, 07:38 PM
The PS3 and 360 can't do that because they use standard joypads, which makes it harder to come up with innovative games
That is true but it isnt basing it on what consoles they are used on, they are just saying which games are best in each catagory.

Neil
24-10-2007, 08:19 PM
That is true but it isnt basing it on what consoles they are used on, they are just saying which games are best in each catagory.

Yes and the Wii is releasing games that kick everything else in all other categories across the floor, even FPS on the Wii is starting to look as good or even better than the 360 by using the Wiimote as a melee weapon and stuff, the Wii is probably gonna have a GoTY in every genre of game in like 10 years or something

Aflux
24-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes and the Wii is releasing games that kick everything else in all other categories across the floor, even FPS on the Wii is starting to look as good or even better than the 360 by using the Wiimote as a melee weapon and stuff, the Wii is probably gonna have a GoTY in every genre of game in like 10 years or something
You know, some radical technological neek could actually make something like the Wiimote for the 360 using the wireless hub, pretty hard to re-configure and re-code some bits but possible.

Anywho, that innovative award should be scrapped.

PaulMacC
24-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I actually prefer Metroid Prime 3 (Of what I've seen) to any FPS on the PS3 or 360.

Aflux
25-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I actually prefer Metroid Prime 3 (Of what I've seen) to any FPS on the PS3 or 360.
Probably because you don't own a PS3 or 360.

alex 1889
25-10-2007, 06:35 AM
some of those games deserve nothing

Oni
25-10-2007, 08:57 AM
You know, some radical technological neek could actually make something like the Wiimote for the 360 using the wireless hub, pretty hard to re-configure and re-code some bits but possible.

Anywho, that innovative award should be scrapped.
Why because sony didnt win, innovative games deserve recognition, just because the wii is out doenst mean they should get rid of it.

Neil
25-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Why because sony didnt win, innovative games deserve recognition, just because the wii is out doenst mean they should get rid of it.

I agree that it should stay because it's quite good to see the most innovative games every year

And sony have a chance with it anyway, more than 360 because of the use of six-axis which may only just be a step up from four-axis but innovative games can still come out of it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!