PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

mangle
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Well as well all know , every so often we get immature kids posting pictures and repping us with indecent images right?

Well i was just on the gametrailers forum which is also Vb and they have a system where new people can't actually create threads. They've got to get a few posts under their belt first before they can actualyl do this. I was just suggesting if we put a system like this on would it cut down on threads being created like that and threads where they try and sell us stuff?

I know they'd still be able to post it but at least our forum wont get clogged up with spam.

Nemo
10-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Great idea ;O

dannyisnotamazing
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Some people sign up just to post a thread on a topic, would work in ways but in other ways it wouldn't.

I know when I go to sign up on certain forums I go straight to post a thread cos I need help or whatever.

---MAD---
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah quite a few forums have this and we may implement in at a later date depending how things go. In regards to bot spammers - 3.7 should have some improvements in regardings to image captcha and spam managing :).

The Professor
10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Wouldnt this just mean people would sign up, spam in threads, make spam threads then leave?

today
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Nah, mods would have warnings before hand (: If they need posts first.

Alex3213
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Then people who make propper threads won't be able to do threads until they post a lot.

And Alex has a very good point.

---MAD---
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Wouldnt this just mean people would sign up, spam in threads, make spam threads then leave?
Basically, you have a usergroup people are put in when they first sign up. And until they have 10 posts, all the posts they make will need to be moderated before made public. Once they have 10 posts, they are moved to the normal usergroup and can post normally.

Alex3213
10-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Basically, you have a usergroup people are put in when they first sign up. And until they have 10 posts, all the posts they make will need to be moderated before made public. Once they have 10 posts, they are moved to the normal usergroup and can post normally.

OK, I don't want to post in this thread again, but now I'm getting ya (I'm bit of a stupid man). Yeah, brill idea, I suggest Habbox use this :).

J1MI
10-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Some people sign up just to post a thread on a topic, would work in ways but in other ways it wouldn't.

I know when I go to sign up on certain forums I go straight to post a thread cos I need help or whatever.

I'm the same, on some forums I sign up and create a thread straight off because I need help with something. There are users on this forum that have done the same. Mainly guests viewing our forums eg. the relationship forum, read through the threads and see the useful comments then want to post a thread asking a question they've always wanted an answer to. I think it's good that they can do this without having to have a certain amount of posts on their account.

Corporal
10-11-2007, 06:34 PM
but how will they use the introduction bit?
Could u make it so u can have 0 to post in there?

The Professor
11-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Imo that seems a bit tedious, if you think the mods are up to that task then it could work, but it could get tiresome.

---MAD---
11-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Imo that seems a bit tedious, if you think the mods are up to that task then it could work, but it could get tiresome.
Actually admins or smods would have to do it via admin/modcp although mods could as well if we felt they should take up the task as well. Its not as hard as you think it is, it's a simple page that shows all the moderated posts :).

Nixt
11-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Actually admins or smods would have to do it via admin/modcp although mods could as well if we felt they should take up the task as well. Its not as hard as you think it is, it's a simple page that shows all the moderated posts :).

It's a good idea but obviously you need to take into account times where there might not be any Moderators online, particularly late at night, or when they are engaged in other more important activities. It could mean things are delayed and that would annoy people a lot. I personally don't feel there is that much need for it because people would just behave in the first ten posts and then start misbehaving after. In theory it would work well but in practice I am not so sure. It might be worth a try though :).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!