PDA

View Full Version : How Restrictive is Too Restrictive?

QuickScriptz
15-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Okay,

So I've finished the Licensing System for RDJP v4 but I'm almost having second thoughts. Basically what it does is check your Server IP, Site URL, and Folder against the ones we have recorded in our DB for your license.

Now this sounds all and well but I just can't decide is that too restrictive to the user to have to change something if they just want to like rename the folder? Only problem is how can I prevent you from installing it like 18 times on your site and letting others use it if I don't have the folder check...

Anyways please leave your feedback as to what you think and any possible up/downsides you see.

Thanks and +rep for replies!

Lycan
15-11-2007, 01:06 PM
folder might be too restrictive if i wanted to rename the folder just to an easier name then have to contact you because it had locked out i'd be annoyed

:Edzy
15-11-2007, 01:43 PM
agree with above

Jamesy
15-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Perhaps making it so you only have a limited ammount of renames and then you have to contact you if you need to reset the ammount?

eg renaming limit of 5 times, if you go over by accident email you.

MrCraig
15-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Perhaps making it so you only have a limited ammount of renames and then you have to contact you if you need to reset the ammount?

eg renaming limit of 5 times, if you go over by accident email you.

Yeah, Good idea =]

Or you could always make a Licencing Panel in which they can log in and change the path to where theyve installed

Blob
15-11-2007, 05:06 PM
When they install, go to the main page.

If they havent licensed it, give them the full server url, server ip and server address. Then they go to your site, enter the details, a like code comes up (like a base64_encode code) then on their panel they enter the code, and if its right they get onto the panel.

Also add some special characters so no user can redo it and get a free license, and encyrpt the file that checks it.

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY

DeejayMachoo$
15-11-2007, 05:25 PM
do it so the can login to change the url and every 50th user to go on it it checks ur db to see if the is a licence on that url? if not disable it and the only way to re-enable is in a cetren page with there admin pass and when the login it checks your db for licence if there is one it enables?

redtom
15-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Make it so people can login to your site and update there licence settings there, EG site, folder and so on.

MrCraig
15-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Make it so people can login to your site and update there licence settings there, EG site, folder and so on.

What i just said :rolleyes:

redtom
15-11-2007, 08:48 PM
What i just said :rolleyes:

I really cba reading each post I'm just trying to help the guy with his script.

QuickScriptz
16-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Okay,

Well first of all thanks for all the replies :) +Rep where possible.

Also, how it currently works is that if your server ip, site, or folder doesn't match it redirects you to our "Members Area" where you can login and change your details or whatever. I'm still working on how to have it only check every now and again so my Licensing Server doesn't get too overloaded with requests on every pageload of the panel... the problem is that if I store any kind of data in a DB then users will just reset the number or count or something so it never checks and totally avoid the licensing... so any ideas on that?

Anyways I'm liking the idea of only being able to change the details like 5 times - except I would make it like 3 times a month maybe to avoid spamming/abuse?

Also, just another thing, to get a license you have to register on our Members Area and verify your email but does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can prevent people from registering more than once? Like I could do it by IP but what does everyone think?

Thanks again for all replies! +Rep for any more!

MrCraig
16-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Lol tom, wasnt meaning it rude like =P

I think it would be alot less hassle if you just cross-checked the site url it was hosted on.. Because i dont really see the point in checking server IP (if like theyr buying a domain for their site, what does it matter how they're hosted)

You could easily get away with not limiting directories but just say in the licene agreement that you are not allowed to sell RDJP on your server.

And since you will supposedly have all the domains allowed to use the system, you could manually all sites once in a while to make sure they arent reselling (or get some friends to) and if they are, terminate site licence?

Chippiewill
16-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Ips sometimes change..

LegendOfNoob
16-11-2007, 07:46 PM
indeed ipa changes don't work when i computer restarts it chooses a random ip unless u set up a static ip whitch rarely people do however i did once to change when someone was in my old pc now i have found that i paid more to have a proxy & firewall built into my internet
whitch is quite handy when i also use a proxy and firewall on my pc then it prevents any unknown entrance

i know i know off topic but thinking of it
what if the person figures out your IPA and blocks it from seeing the site scriptz?
i'm not gonna thou i'm happy with HSP but i was a former user
if i was to go back i wouldn't get 4 with all this licensing and crap

Beau
16-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Ips sometimes change..

Client IPs change, server IPs don't, however.

QuickScriptz
16-11-2007, 10:22 PM
indeed ipa changes don't work when i computer restarts it chooses a random ip unless u set up a static ip whitch rarely people do however i did once to change when someone was in my old pc now i have found that i paid more to have a proxy & firewall built into my internet
whitch is quite handy when i also use a proxy and firewall on my pc then it prevents any unknown entrance

i know i know off topic but thinking of it
what if the person figures out your IPA and blocks it from seeing the site scriptz?
i'm not gonna thou i'm happy with HSP but i was a former user
if i was to go back i wouldn't get 4 with all this licensing and crap

Well if they block my Servers IP then they just wont be using the Panel now will they?

Client IPs change, server IPs don't, however.

He is very correct. Your servers ip doesn't change very often at all..... if ever....

+Rep for replies.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!