PDA

View Full Version : British Informatics Olympiad

timROGERS
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm doing the British Informatics Olympiad at school tomorrow :( I'm the only person doing it in my school, and I will be sitting alone in an IT room. It's gonna be a bit nerve racking to say the least :P

The British Informatics Olympiad (BIO) is an annual competition in computer programming for secondary schools and sixth form colleges. Any student who is under 19, in full time pre-university education and resident in mainland Britain, is eligible to take part and may win prizes including an expenses-paid trip to the prestigious International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI).

The first stage of the BIO is a three-hour exam, taken at school, in which students solve problems with the aid of a computer. These are marked by a teacher and submitted for moderation. Based on the results of this exam, the top 15 competitors are invited to the BIO final in Cambridge during the Easter holidays. The best four make up the team to represent Britain at the IOI.

I'm gonna be sitting on my own with an old, slow laptop trying to answer some annoyingly difficult problems in PHP. There's a pretty good chance that I won't be able to do any of them, looking at past papers - better hope for easy questions :) Ah well, gets me out of PE :P If you're interested, you can see a past paper at http://www.olympiad.org.uk/papers/2007/bio/bio07exam.pdf. I'm planning to do it in PHP, and I've already got an IDE and a server set up on the laptop :P. I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow!

Wish me luck :P,

Tim

Implosion
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
good luck!

Turnip
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
good luck.

xxMATTGxx
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Good Luck Tim :)

craigg.
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
You'l do fine Tim. Good luck. I wish I could of took part in it!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!