PDA

View Full Version : Own Forum or official partner forum ? (templatenation)

[Oli]
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi,

Okay so as TemplateNation is coming along, I think it's on 50% more or less.
After this security checks + modifications will take place.
And after that 5 Beta Testers will be randomly chosen to test the whole system & give feedback on it.
(Don't ask for beta yet, a form will go online when the site will be almost done which is estimated arround end of december into january.)

Now, another part I've been thinking alot of is the forum.
I'm still unsure what to do.

Either I shall contact a good webdesign/webdevelopment forum or an upcoming webdesign/development forum and grant them Official TN Partner (-forum).
Or TemplateNation would have it's own forum.

But I'm not to sure on the second idea yet.
As I am not looking to go over my head, I think I'll be very busy with TemplateNation itself.

So I'd like your thoughts please.
Thanks in advance,

(NB: If you do not know what TemplateNation is, please click the link in my signature
And, the design preview in that topic is outdated, The last few days I've been busy on creating/coding a new design, which has turned out great, it's very, VERY clean, nothing special and alot more user-friendly, which in the end, is one of the main things I want it to be.

There will be no previews on this design though, as I'd like to keep it a secret untill the public launch day.)

Thanks once again,

Regards,
Olivier P.

LegendOfNoob
04-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Let's see
get a designing upcoming forum good

well you could
get pixel artists & coders on ur own team

Get Some Ads out

i wish i could offer more but this is one of the
reasons why im not really in the template bussiness

im still learning on coding layouts so i wouldnt no
any huge ideas

webdeisng webmarket sounds quite intresting

ahh i got it
work with forum codecs
and make ur software a add on to forums
like vB has the Market and all

im sorry if it isnt correctly of what u wanted
but yea

MrCraig
04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I think you should go for the second option and hire your own forum manager.

Its alot more 'trustworthy' if you know what i mean.
(like the site your using as forum you have very little control over)

[Oli]
04-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I think you should go for the second option and hire your own forum manager.

Its alot more 'trustworthy' if you know what i mean.
(like the site your using as forum you have very little control over)

True, but IF I would go for that option, the forum would have to come later on as my main priority at the moment is the website & it's system.

Also.. I like to keep things legal so, .. how much does a owner lisence cost for a Vbulletin board ?

(I don't know what lisences there are, but I'd need one where I can keep using the board for ever... meaning it won't expire in a year or something alike.)

vWill
04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
An owned license from vBulletin costs $160.00 / £91.00.

MrCraig
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
you could always use myBB...

[Oli]
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
An owned license from vBulletin costs $160.00 / £91.00.

That is indeed a bit much for just the forum software... (imo)

LegendOfNoob
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
i know thats why i dont use vB

redtom
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I think you should go with you own forum, mainly as you have more control on it and you can always intergrate parts into your own site, only problem is if the host is down then both the forum and site our down not just one, although aslong as your hosting if good it shoudn't be a problem.

If you cant budget for a Vb why not just make your own forum and fully intergrate it with the current site, or maybe release the site and then create your own forum and bring it in on a later date, but free forums are still on option if you don't want to create your own or use a Vb.

[Oli]
04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I think you should go with you own forum, mainly as you have more control on it and you can always intergrate parts into your own site, only problem is if the host is down then both the forum and site our down not just one, although aslong as your hosting if good it shoudn't be a problem.

If you cant budget for a Vb why not just make your own forum and fully intergrate it with the current site, or maybe release the site and then create your own forum and bring it in on a later date, but free forums are still on option if you don't want to create your own or use a Vb.

I've got the budget to buy a license, but I don't want to as I'm not convinced vb's are worth that price.

I've had thoughts about making my own forum, but that would take ages if I wanted to make it right & secure (which I want!).

You have a point on the hosting & downtime issue, although I must say I haven't had any downtime with my host yet.
(dediwebspace.com)

Zroc
04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Could we see some of the design you have done for Template Nation, and I mean the template for the main site, not the templates you are offering.

I have a VB licence I am not using...

[Oli]
04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Could we see some of the design you have done for Template Nation, and I mean the template for the main site, not the templates you are offering.

I have a VB licence I am not using...

Sorry for now that remains a secret.

Although I must inform you, I think you have the wrong idea on what TemplateNation is.

TemplateNation is a community website dedicated towards webdesigners and webcoders, it is a place where webdesigners/developpers/coders will be able to create auctions for their work for free!

Meaning if you have made a template, a webscript, a banner, or even selling a domain name you will be able to create an auction complete with bid and reputation system.

Also people who are looking for a certain product which they couldn't find, they will be able to create a topic (or what would I call it) and request their product and informing what budget they have for it.

The auctions will be placed under 1 of the 8 main categories and will be able to have tags added by the creator.
This way, potential buyers can browse trough the categories or search trough them via a tag search form.

There will be a few extra features for VIP but not that much as that is not the main goal of this project.

I hope that explaines it a litle ;).

(The website won't be open before the end of december in best case, otherwise somewhere along january.)

Jõnathan
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
;4203251']TemplateNation is a community website dedicated towards webdesigners and webcoders, it is a place where webdesigners/developpers/coders will be able to create auctions for their work for free!

Meaning if you have made a template, a webscript, a banner, or even selling a domain name you will be able to create an auction complete with bid and reputation system.

Also people who are looking for a certain product which they couldn't find, they will be able to create a topic (or what would I call it) and request their product and informing what budget they have for it.

The auctions will be placed under 1 of the 8 main categories and will be able to have tags added by the creator.
This way, potential buyers can browse trough the categories or search through them via a tag search form.
So it's like eBay then?

[Oli]
04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
So it's like eBay then?

I asume you can see it that way yes, but strictly for webdesign/services.

Chippiewill
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Go for a 00:00:00 01/01/08 opening, it would make it more dramatic n everything + everyones awake at that time and also the new year celebrations are crap nowadays so no one will watch them.

Also on the forum would there be a coding forum which doesnt involve buying or selling?

redtom
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Go for a 00:00:00 01/01/08 opening, it would make it more dramatic n everything + everyones awake at that time and also the new year celebrations are crap nowadays so no one will watch them.

Also on the forum would there be a coding forum which doesnt involve buying or selling?

From what I know template nation is a online community for web designers, coders and developers, aswell as a free online market place.

The key word there is community so I would think that there would be other forums like coding what are not to do with selling and buying.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!