PDA

View Full Version : I r Curious

Camy
07-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Hello,
Im just wondering, i want to start making layouts, but im not sure how to align them.
Does it really matter?
Can you put anything anywhere?

Lol, i r nub at this sort of thing :P

Invent
07-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Can you put anything anywhere?

Technically yes. There is an element in CSS called 'position'. This has a set of options such as;

- Absolute,
- Relative,
- Static,
- Fixed,

Etc.

Using the value 'absolute' you can align a DIV anywhere on a page meaning yes, your layout can be placed anywhere.

Camy
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Lol, i r nub at this sort of thing :P

I have no idea what you just said lol.
I've only got photoshop to work with.

Beau
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Try not to use absolute positioning, it will make the layout behave differently in different browsers/screen resolutions.

Invent
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
He's right. But it's the only way to make a layout be exactly somewhere on the page.

APART from margins of course ;)

Beau
08-12-2007, 12:58 AM
He's right. But it's the only way to make a layout be exactly somewhere on the page.

APART from margins of course ;)

Which are more browser/screen resolution friendly ;P

Invent
08-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Well IE handles margins just as bad as it handles other CSS Attributes I think. So there won't be much difference lol.

Beau
08-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Well IE handles margins just as bad as it handles other CSS Attributes I think. So there won't be much difference lol.

I've never had a problem with margins in IE. Advantage to using margins is that it doesn't actually position anything, it just pushes in a certain direction, allowing you to use a percentage that will be friendly with all resolutions. You can use percentages with absolute positioning too, except due to it's nature of actually positioning the div, it has a greater chance of incompatibility with other browsers/screen resolutions.

php.net
08-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Hey Camy :),

If you're looking to get started in photoshop, Good-Tutorials.com can show you the process of building them, Talk-Mania is great for showing you effects etc if you're wanting to make a sort of "punk" style, but I don't advise using the styles they use in those tutorials because they are honestly rubbish, but look at other sites, get a good image in your head for a layout and use the effects etc you've been taught in the tutorials. :)

Good luck with it and +rep!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!