PDA

View Full Version : How many time do you put in a competition?

micky.blue.eyes
31-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Hello competitions staff,

First I want to say thank you for the lovely competitions here on habbox(forum), it really makes it fun around here.

Now I, and probably many other people, am wondering how many time you put in a competition. I know it changes per competition, like safety steps isn't taking to much time, I guess. But on average, how many time do you spend on a competition? Specially MissAlice, who as probably everybody knows, puts alot of time in the competitions, but after all, she is the competition manager. ;) :p

I think it is cool that there are nice people who put alot of time to entertain people on a (great) fansite without getting paid. I love it.

That was my question, I hope to receive many answers from different competition staff. (Not Staff that isn't allowed to post here! :p)

Regards.
micky.blue.eyes

MissAlice
31-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Hello competitions staff,

First I want to say thank you for the lovely competitions here on habbox(forum), it really makes it fun around here.

Now I, and probably many other people, am wondering how many time you put in a competition. I know it changes per competition, like safety steps isn't taking to much time, I guess. But on average, how many time do you spend on a competition? Specially MissAlice, who as probably everybody knows, puts alot of time in the competitions, but after all, she is the competition manager. ;) :p

I think it is cool that there are nice people who put alot of time to entertain people on a (great) fansite without getting paid. I love it.

That was my question, I hope to receive many answers from different competition staff. (Not Staff that isn't allowed to post here! :p)

Regards.
micky.blue.eyes

Wow, what a question, I hope you are prepared for this! And I assume you mean how much time do we put into a competition?

Well firstly I don't think you have enough to do, because you seem to have too much time looking at competitions :p

The end of the month, ie today, is my busiest time, as I have at least two competitions closing and at least two new ones to release. I'm sure no one is really interested in the amount of time I spend on each competition, but I will try my best to answer your question.

Firstly, your very wrong about Safety Steps, I have to come up with a new theme for each month, and this competition has been running since I think September or October last year, I do run out of ideas. I also have to judge this competition. Once I have decided on the theme, I write up the competition, post it. Select the prize from the donation sub-forum, remove it from there, move the item of furni from one room to another, label it so I know which competition it relates to. I also post a thank you to the donator. Because Safety Steps always finishes on the last day of the month, I don't have to set a reminder on the Habbox Calendar. Every other competition with the exception of Room-With-A-View I do have to set up a reminder.

That probably don't sound much for such a small competition, whilst all competitions are running I also moderate them. This sometimes means sending a private message to anyone breaking the competition rules. If I have any time left, LOL, I accept rare donations, and account for every donation by posting them in the donation sub-forum.

When the competition is closed, I then organise judging, sometimes I have to wait for others to do their part, before I can announce winners. Then once I have announced I also post on Habbox News and in addition to that I amend the competition to show who the winners were. I then have to send a private message to the winner/s for them to make contact with me. Also if the prize includes VIP, I also have to ask for that to be arranged. Finally I inform the Site Manager which one I chose so it can be put on the Safety pages of Habbox. Once the winner has contacted me then their prize/s is delivered hopefully within 48 hours.

Thank goodness Safety Steps only ever has one winner ;)

I can't estimate how much time I give to one competition, as every competition is different, some involve private messages, informing me of alt stealing (This I have to follow-up) or asking a simple question. I also get pointless private messages asking me why I have not closed a competition, from eager members, when the competition quite clearly states when a competition will end :)

micky.blue.eyes
01-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Ok, I was really wrong about the safety steps.
I didn't know it took up so much time for only safety steps, because that looks like an easy one to do.
I have another question, I often look at the entries of people and I see many people breaking the rules by posting comments and questions, do you want us the report those posts or do you never use reports?
I was think about it but I wasn't sure if I should report those posts. :)

Thank you.
micky.blue.eyes (somebody with, like you said, pretty much time)

MissAlice
01-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Ok, I was really wrong about the safety steps.
I didn't know it took up so much time for only safety steps, because that looks like an easy one to do.
I have another question, I often look at the entries of people and I see many people breaking the rules by posting comments and questions, do you want us the report those posts or do you never use reports?
I was think about it but I wasn't sure if I should report those posts. :)

Thank you.
micky.blue.eyes (somebody with, like you said, pretty much time)

Surprising isn't it just how much work can go into one competition!

There will always be rule breakers, as they fail to read the full competition. It clearly says about not commenting or asking questions in that forum, and still they do it. Ah well many are excited about entering or just have something they wish to shout about. Many are also posting for the first time as they are new members, so we have to be a little lenient when it's not too serious a comment. The ones that need reporting are those that have an opinion on who should win, or whose entry in their opinion is the best. Trying to force the judges to favour an entry is totally wrong, and could be considered a form of harassment. Judges have to be fair, and under no pressure to favour any entry through pressure. On the whole I think the competition team does a pretty good job of moderating what should be an easy set of forums to moderate.

ps. I do check the reporting regularly :p

micky.blue.eyes
02-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions, I know how busy you are, and I now know that you are even busier than I thought.
I wish you and the competition the best luck with all the future competitions and I will be reporting rule breakers once in a while. ;) :p

micky.blue.eyes

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!