PDA

View Full Version : Smaller teams

Muppet
15-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm gonna make quite a long speech here.

All my mates at school, I ask them what football team they support. Its always Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or any Premiership club. I live near Northampton, about 2 hours away from the nearest Premiership club. Now I'm the only one in my whole year that supports my local team. We're in the Blue Square North, and we usually only get attendances of about 1000 people for a home game. My point is, that, I would like to see more people support their clubs closer to home. It means you can go down every other weekend, and watch a great game of footy just as good, sometimes better, with your mates, or family. And tickets don't cost much. I enjoy it so much. I've been to see Liverpool three times, and if I was asked to go and watch Liverpool play a big game or Kettering play a good game, it would be kettering all the way

Cheers

Jordie
15-12-2007, 03:55 PM
im from luton and i surport them:)

but our tickets arent that cheap lol:P

Minstrels
15-12-2007, 03:59 PM
It's £5 to watch Manchester City. Only £1 difference so you know, I'd rather watch Gods football team than Burnley, Oldham, Rochdale or Halifax.

edible
15-12-2007, 04:28 PM
my local team is marine fc.
they're crap, and they're not even in a good league :s

im an evertonian, and i'd rather watch everton than liverpool.

Aflux
15-12-2007, 04:30 PM
You call that a long speech?

People support clubs because basically, they are a good team. You don't want to support a team that is crap do you? You don't want to pay money every week to go and watch a team of part-time firefighters pit it out against Berkshire Bakery FC on a field that represents itself of somewhat of a pig farm.

There are several factors why people support big clubs; one is the above, another is because they are big. I started supporting Arsenal because of the first 5 letters in the name - that's the only reason. I found it funny at the time because it was in 1998 and I was 7.

I support Arsenal and I live 4-5 hours away from the ground. I've never been to an Arsenal game and yet I still support them. Now, you may say "how can you support them if you havn't been a game?". Because, I follow them, I buy their merchandise - I just don't have the money to fork out £200+ every week to go and watch a football game.

I come from Doncaster, and yes I like to see DRFC do well and yes I have been to a couple of games with friends but the quality of football isn't at the standard of the Premiership - which is why most people support big clubs. People pay to watch quality football, people like quality football.

Hell, I've even been to a couple of Sheff. Wednesday matches with my old mate [he was a supporter] and it's just not as appealing.

//end.

piddle2k6
15-12-2007, 05:46 PM
The firts 5 letters are arsen so learn to count pfft :D haha OJ

I support bmouth as theyre my local club so Yarr!!

Alan_Carr
15-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Go to Northampton mate, its well worth it after the result at forest ;D
Support your local team, dont be a glory boy.. :)

danny-dyer
15-12-2007, 07:14 PM
£19 every game for me and thats for swindon town league 1.....

Minstrels
15-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Lmao rip off! It's only £5 at Manchester City and thats to watch good football. ;>

danny-dyer
15-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Yh thts childs tickets i bet its more if you qualify as a adult?

Alan_Carr
15-12-2007, 07:17 PM
So? You support your hometown...
I'd rather watch my team play than some prem team, cos its a moral.

Grainger@CUFC
15-12-2007, 08:13 PM
People support a team because it's what they're brought up with, or it is in my case anyway. I've been going to see Carlisle since I was about 6/7 and if I'm honest, it has to be a lot more exciting being a Carlisle fan than any Prem team cause we've had that many ups and downs! We've been to Wembley twice, four cup finals, relegation, a play-off final and double promotion with a title winning season. All in the last 12 years :). Not many teams can say they've done that much in the last decade or so :D.

YellowParasol
15-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Go to Northampton mate, its well worth it after the result at forest ;D
Support your local team, dont be a glory boy.. :)

Id never wana support Northampton ;)

And i live and support Peterborough Utd

Smits
15-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeh but who might not even be a team at the end of the season?

I support my local team.

Minstrels
15-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Yh thts childs tickets i bet its more if you qualify as a adult?
Yes it is, a full £12 for a adults ticket, thats still cheaper than Swindon! :P

Alan_Carr
15-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Peterborough, what was the score today? ;D

CJW93
16-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Most people where I live support West Ham. But I support Grays Athletic, twety minute walk to the ground from my house

Alan_Carr
16-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Quality, at least you're not a glory boy :)

Breakfloor
16-12-2007, 02:31 PM
my hometowns free **** YEH!

but they suck.

Alan_Carr
16-12-2007, 02:35 PM
What team is it?
If u live in Hertfordshire, go watch Watford?

Breakfloor
16-12-2007, 02:36 PM
its tring lol.

PlKEY-ARMY
16-12-2007, 02:50 PM
adult or child?

anyway its better supporting a lower team because it proves you are a true fan, not just a glory hunter, they annoy me. whilst being alive and supporting gills we have had our ups and downs been wembly 3 times since 1992 reached 5th and 6th round of fa cup knocked out by chelsea and arsenal and knocked out by chelsea in 4th round of the carling cup its so much better. and i honestly think the fans are better because there is more passion i dunno about you ive never seen a premiership team vs premiership team but whenever gills are against a premier team they never sing...

Alan_Carr
16-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Exactly, hands down i'd rather support my hometown than Man U Liverpool etc

PaulMacC
16-12-2007, 03:36 PM
My local team is Glentoran FC, Irish league, no thanks.

Alan_Carr
16-12-2007, 03:44 PM
LOL, never heard of em :>
Are they doing poor in the Irish league?

Minstrels
16-12-2007, 04:23 PM
LOL, never heard of em :>
Are they doing poor in the Irish league?
I haven't heard of them either. >.>

Alan_Carr
16-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I've heard of the really good team in Ireland, who win everything
Cork city?
Something like that

Minstrels
16-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I've heard of the really good team in Ireland, who win everything
Cork city?
Something like that
Roy Keane and Stephen Ireland were both born in Cork so I think everyone has love.

Moozo
16-12-2007, 04:59 PM
i love lower league football.
i personally support wolves but the other local team is stafford rangers who are a few leagues down.
i love all the old stadiums and the atmosphere at the lower league games (y)

:alexxTURNER
16-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I support Middlesbrough cause its my local team.

People annoy me who change teams all the time like change from Arsenal to Liverpool etc or a lower team like Middlesbrough to Arsenal

Geraint
16-12-2007, 05:46 PM
My local team is Glentoran FC, Irish league, no thanks.

They're a good team.

All my local teams are crap and I have no idea when they are playing. If Cardiff are playing away and I know that they are home I will go see them. They used to be good but now they sold all their players and are now in the South Wales Amateur League and are killing everybody. I have to travel 20 mins in the car or 40 mins on the train for every home game. I'd rather watch Cardiff play.

Alan_Carr
21-12-2007, 06:24 PM
NORTHAMPTONNNN NORTHAMPTONNNN

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!