PDA

View Full Version : iFrames

Invent
21-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi,

If you think iFrames are bad and they shouldn't be used anymore, could you please post your reason for thinking this?

As I'm developing a new site which uses iFrames for loading content and I know a lot of people say iFrames suck, so I want to know if people have a reason for thinking this or if they are just being sheeps. (I know a lot of reasons why they shouldn't be used and a lot why they should be; so I want to find out if there are any more reasons to not use them and if there are I won't use them).

Thanks if you post (:
-Simon

Frog!
21-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I only think Habbo fansites should have iFrames if they have a radio or intro music, otherwise it would keep having to start over again. Also, for some people who don't have javascript enabled the iFrame won't be able to expand (I think).

Dentafrice,
21-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I think iFrames are very powerful elements, some people just say it because everyone else is like "eww iFRAMES" and are just following the crowd.

They are useful in the sense that you don't have to restart the page over and over, but you could also do the page loading with AJAX, but with the iFRAME it is really a "inline page" as the name suggests.

loserWILL
21-12-2007, 05:54 PM
If you make the iFrame expand, I have no problem with it.

I only dislike them when they have scrollbars. Which I find annoying.

Moh
21-12-2007, 06:06 PM
the people who say "Eww, dont use iFrames" don't realise, its a bloody habbo fansite.

Chippiewill
21-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Iframes are ok but they dont expand without using loads of coding, I would use i frames but people say such bad things about them that If i use them then some people might be put off

Jordan3606
21-12-2007, 08:14 PM
If you make the iFrame expand, I have no problem with it.

I only dislike them when they have scrollbars. Which I find annoying.

Yup ^

Scrollbars ruin iframes, but they're great otherwise :)

LegendOfNoob
21-12-2007, 09:05 PM
iframes are very flexible they dont take too much to program and are quite handy
it helps slower connection users & more conveint
for instance
you dont have to set up every page in the layout
u just put up your page on blank pages
never have to change over all the pages when changing layout(i find a huge lifesaver)
target the name of frame in links and ur done
if you look theres also a simple 2 word attribute to prevent scrollbars
aswell as on dyanmic drive a quite easy c/p script to expand

iframes are very useful but most people on here do use them
but may not want other people to use them in better ways

possibly

much more good than bad

Florx
21-12-2007, 09:15 PM
If iFrames are used properly then they can be great.

However I like AJAX page loading or just whole new dynamic pages e.g. page.php?page=home.

Thanks,
Jake.

SmileUK
21-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I think people don't like them when someone uses an iframe for every bit of the layout.
Like navigation is an iframe, this side box that side box is.

But if it's just main content and maybe 1 other (such as stats) and they expand, they are fine.

Beau
21-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Please please please please please don't call them 'iFrames'. They are iframes, stop trying to turn them into an Apple product :P

Iframes are a little static IMO, there are plenty of ways to build a site with Web 2.0 features that remove the need to use iframes. However, there are plenty of instances where they are the only viable option (radio sites, refreshing data etc). I use them when I have to, however I try to find a solution other than iframes first.

Florx
21-12-2007, 11:11 PM
refreshing data and radio stats can be refreshed better with AJAX and best of all no clicking noise.

Beau
21-12-2007, 11:17 PM
refreshing data and radio stats can be refreshed better with AJAX and best of all no clicking noise.

I've heard people say that before, but I am still at a loss as to how to do it. I know the basics of AJAX, but I didn't know there was a function in which you could send a request every X seconds, or equivilant.

Florx
21-12-2007, 11:25 PM
setinterval :)

Beau
21-12-2007, 11:28 PM
My AJAX book didn't tell me about that :(

Thanks, +rep

[Oli]
21-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I just hate content being compacted into a fixed height box.
I can't really explain but I just hate the overall feeling of an iframe.

Just doesn't speak to me.

Regards,
Olivier P.

(NB: Please note that this is my opinion, not general opinion)

VistaBoy
22-12-2007, 02:11 AM
i think iframes are good if used right but i do think some people say its bad just because others say its bad if you get what i mean.

Independent
22-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Please please please please please don't call them 'iFrames'. They are iframes, stop trying to turn them into an Apple product :P

lolol :P

I use iframes, because I'm a newbie coder ;] and wouldn't be able to use ajax for my life

loserWILL
22-12-2007, 03:27 AM
lolol :P

I use iframes, because I'm a newbie coder ;] and wouldn't be able to use ajax for my life

Use PHP includes?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!