PDA

View Full Version : college enrichment program :/, dont know what to do!

1dream
24-12-2007, 03:51 AM
well today my gramps came over and got the mail for us and i found out i got sent a letter about this enrichment program. the letter says the following:

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Your child has shown the academic promise to benefit from the University of CHicago Collegiate Scholars Program (UCCSP), an enrichment program which gives outstanding Chicago Public Schools (CPS) students the opportunity to study and grow at one of the world's foremost universities. UCCSP is a three year enrichment program offered exclusively to CPS students free of charge. Each year approximately 50 new ninth graders from CHicago public high schools are invited to engage in academic enrichment activities, cultural events, college counseling, and college courses at the University during their time outside of school. These students have demonstrated academic talent; most students have maintained an average GPA of 3.5 or above and have shown a commitment to their schools and communities through their extracurricular activities. The program has grown to include over 150 Collegiate Scholars who are aspiring to enter the best colleges and universities in the county.

During the summer of 2007, we celebrated the graduation of our second class. We are thrilled to inform you that all of our students have performed extraordinarily well. Of the 105 students who have graduated from our program in the past two years, 49 completed applications for the University of Chicago, of which 36 were accepted. Thirteen of those students are currently attending the University. Each year, the University of Chicago offers five otustanding CPS students a four-year, full tuition scholarship to the University through a generous fund supported by the Crown family. Six of those ten scholarships were awared to the Collegiate Scholars alumni over the past two years. Our students have also fared exceptionally well in admission to other universities including Stanford, MIT, Brown, Cornell, Carleton, Duke, and the University of Michigan. We are also proud to announce that six of our students have been Gates-Millennium Scholarship winners and eight students have won Posse Foundation scholarships.

This is an exceptional opportunity for your child, and we look forward to reading your child's application!

---------

well, this seems to be a great offer and a direction in life for me. but the problem is i dont know if i should do it or not.. this is a big decision and i never have made a decision this big before.. i have about a month to send in the application. so im quite frantic at the moment, so all tips or thoughts are welcomed to calm me down :( my mom wants me to do it and i want to make her proud..

Mentor
24-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Depends if you want it, if you enjoy that kinda thing sure go for it. If its just gona eat your time just be exstra work then id probabaly avoid it.
Its really dependant on what kinda person you are.

1dream
24-12-2007, 04:39 AM
well my gramps whos been by myside since day 1 wants me to do it.. he thinks i should.. but i honestly dont want to but i dont know how to tell my parents this..

Mentor
24-12-2007, 05:01 AM
well my gramps whos been by myside since day 1 wants me to do it.. he thinks i should.. but i honestly dont want to but i dont know how to tell my parents this..

"you think it would be a better idea to focus on your proper study's and maintain your heigh achivment within them, rather than to expend your time and effort on something purely extra curricular at there expense."

Its logical to assume your proper study's have far greater importances to these, if threes a risk at sacrificing your "GPA of 3.5 or above" by taking on the extra work load, its probably not a great move for you.

i dont think its to hard to make a case against undertaking the program if you dont want to

1dream
24-12-2007, 05:35 AM
ive made up my mind, im not taking this course.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!