PDA

View Full Version : Charity to Donate To (Christmas Charity Promotion Donations)

nvrspk4
28-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey everyone,

We are going to hold a vote on what Charity we will be sending the proceeds from the Christmas Fundraiser to. We raised well over 400 pounds so we'll be able to make a sizable contribution to whatever charity we pick! Here are the charities we've selected for you guys to vote on:

International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (http://www.ifrc.org/index.asp?navid=01)

Basically what this charity represents is the international form of the Red Cross. The IFRC basically promotes all of its National Committees. The National Committees are the ones we all know, and they help with disaster relief, health and social programs, and even help out the civilians and as medical personell during wartime. They are best known, however, for their responses to disasters, especially natural disasters, and helping all the affected families through the crises.

Amnesty International (http://www.amnesty.org/)

Amnesty International focuses on human rights. They aim to end all abuses of human rights, ensure fair trials, good conditions for prisoners, release of political prisoners etc. etc. They also aim to initiate programs to end violations of human rights in countries across the world.

OXFAM International (http://www.oxfam.org/en/)

OXFAM operates in more than 100 countries in an effort to solve the issues of poverty and injustice, along with the problems that accompany them. Through their methods of "working with the poor, influencing and lobbying the powerful, and joining hands with the people" OXFAM has worked to bring a better world about for all. They also believe strongly in social equality.

UNICEF (http://www.unicef.org/)

UNICEF is a charity that focuses mostly on the children of the world. They work to make sure that children's rights are remembered and to improve the quality of life for children worldwide. UNICEF promotes the growth of children and their proper education and has the lobbying power to get things done through its connection to the United Nations (as implied by its name, the United Nations International Children's Fund). UNICEF is really a charity for the children to improve their living conditions and their lives across the globe.

LiveStrong (AKA the Lance Armstrong Foundation) (http://www.livestrong.org/site.htm)

Although this is not nearly as worldwide, as cancer is an issue that affects mostly developed nations, we would be seriously remiss if we didn't include a cancer society in here! LiveStrong works to fund research into cures for cancer, along with workshops on how to deal with cancer and how to live with cancer, whether it be you or a family member who has been recently diagnosed. They also advocate prevention through screening for cancer, which will potentially stop the cancer by diagnosis early on.

So, you have all four choices laid out before you, which will you pick?

I should, before I end this, mention something about how we chose the charities. A number of you suggested very good charities, such as NSPCC or ChildLine. However we were looking for more international charities in an effort to make an appeal to everyone. In some cases we took suggestions international (for example someone suggested the British Red Cross so we decided to include the International Federation of Red Crosses and Red Crescents) and in other cases we took similar causes that were a little more international (ie, while somewhat different, UNICEF does support children as Childline and NSPCC do, just on a more global level.)

Feel free to discuss your vote below.

The poll will close one week from today, so get your vote in. And of course, from all of us at Habbox, have a very happy holiday season.

Demon
28-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Oxfam international has my vote ;)

le harry
28-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Amnesty :)

Aflux
28-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Unicef has my vote.

Typoh
28-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Amnesty International has mine

Tiked
28-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Unicef for me.

Swp.
28-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Unicef for me

Immenseman
28-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Amnesty international for me, for sure.

VPSwow
28-12-2007, 11:10 AM
unicef for me :D

Andeeh
28-12-2007, 11:19 AM
EDIT:
I vote for LiveStrong

Jordy
28-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Amnesty all the way :)

However they're all very good causes so I don't mind.

benjamin
28-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Amnesty international.

KnuxIBF
28-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I think it's apt that since children raised the money, that children should get the money, so UNICEF.

Alkaz
28-12-2007, 12:18 PM
UNICEF for me as they support NSPCC which i originally sent of to be a charity choice D

mlp16
28-12-2007, 02:06 PM
UNICEF :)

merry christmas

But i clicked Oxfam :(

beth
28-12-2007, 03:29 PM
livestrong because i know any of the charities will just pour the money straight into the third world, and i think they get overshadow far too many other charities already.

@xP
28-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Oxfam has my vote. :)

iJoe
28-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Unicef I voted for

-Xiangu-
28-12-2007, 04:49 PM
livestrong purely because my uncle died after a long battle against cancer in 2005

Tristan
29-12-2007, 04:44 PM
LiveStrong please.

Also, I know it's horrible but I like something closer to home.
I went to Sri Lanka in the Summer for a holiday and all the thousands of pounds that was sent to Sri Lanka to help the affected parts of the country from the Tsunami and it wasn't used, the Government kept it for itself.
Making no accusations of these others of course not. I just prefer the closer to home option.

No.1.HAB
02-01-2008, 12:27 AM
my vote has got to be livestrong as my mother passed away with cancer and it is now the omnly charity i support!

Pyroka
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Aww emma, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I voted Amnesty International, because I feel that there are just too many misjustices in Human rights nowadays.

The Professor
02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Red cross all the way. They keep the death toll as low as possible in disasters such as the tsunami, should we have an earthquake or severe weather over here (which is very possible with global warming) they will be the people to help :)

reindeer.
02-01-2008, 02:04 PM
livestrong
i follow cycling and i thought what lance armstrong did was sensational so i voted for that.

Neversoft
02-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll vote for the International Federation of Red Crosses and Red Crescents.

Although I would have liked to have voted for the NSPCC or something to do with animals. :(

Hurts
02-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I voted UNICEF, but wouldn't it be fair if only the people who bought VIP in December get to vote, as it's their money going towards which ever charity?

Superman
02-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Red Cross, they aren't focused on just helping people in countries that are poor or anything, they help anyone who needs it. They also make a significant difference in wartime by getting involved with saving injured or dying people, and they also do work in England and other richer countries with a lot of medical training and such.

aaron---dodds
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
live strong

my gradma died after 2 years of fighting
so thats why :(

Fart
05-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Wheres breast cancer research uk?? :@:@:@:@:@:@

rawritsluke
13-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Livestrong 100% of the way.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!