PDA

View Full Version : How is this a rip?

Moh
29-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Well I liked simons Habbo Lakes layout, so I made one of my own. Simons is much nicer I know.
But apparently I have ripped his layout and coding (Even though mine is tables and his is divs).

The only thing which is simular are the colours.

Simons:
www.habbolake.com (http://www.habbolake.com)

Mine:
www.habbcrazy.net (http://www.habbcrazy.net)

Thread closed by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Closed to prevent further arguments.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Dont look the same.

Colin-Roberts
29-12-2007, 06:46 PM
It's the same style, the boxes are the same.

benny99
29-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Lol u couldnt gt the peepz frm clubhabbo so ur goin habbox. Lol

Recursion
29-12-2007, 06:47 PM
they aren't rips...

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 06:47 PM
welll they both look crap -.-

Visa!
29-12-2007, 06:48 PM
That layout is nothing like the other one...

don't worry about it, your ok.

lolwut
29-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't worry about it.
Invent can sometimes exagerate.

Naruto!
29-12-2007, 06:51 PM
You spelt "holiday" wrong in your banner, that alone is a crime.

L!nK..
29-12-2007, 06:59 PM
It does look similar.. but idc

Aflux
29-12-2007, 07:02 PM
No it is not ripped.

Jme
29-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Jack, I don't think anyone said it's ripped, it's obviously not, but it's copied in a way but it's not like other people dont get inspiration from other fansites. They are quite similar to be fair.

Moh
29-12-2007, 07:21 PM
the boxes are the same.
not exaclty

Also on ClubHabbo, there just normal members saying its a rip, on here there not.

Invent
29-12-2007, 07:38 PM
*Text Removed*

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not accuse/name others of ripping/stealing.

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Last time I checked copying someones design (with same colours, etc) was ripping...
Oh no, Google and Yahoo lawsuit.. both have white backgrounds.. *slit*

Then Simon, you must have copied HabMate...

http://www.habmate.com

Its black..

http://www.colourlovers.com

Thats like.. color piracy..

Invent
29-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Caleb, get serious.

If a design is the same and the colours used are the same, the it's ripped..

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Caleb, get serious.

If a design is the same and the colours used are the same, the it's ripped..
I am serious, you are just acting childish.

The only thing that I see, that is similar is the bottom of the boxes, that is it.

It sort of the same colors, but yet... its not near ripping. Just because he used the same colors as you, does not mean its ripping? You can't copyright a color..

Invent
29-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, my letter is in the post to HostGator, I'll let them decide. If they deny my complaint then I'll leave it at that.

--ss--
29-12-2007, 07:53 PM
If you remade it all from scratch and coded it from scratch then it won't be ripping it's more of not showing any originality and copying sorry :(

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 07:54 PM
They have this thing now days called E-Mail.. and its normally [email protected], so [email protected] or [email protected], which usually gets there instantly..

They probably don't care.. its a Habbo fansite for god sake, they will probably tear it open, be like.. who cares, and throw it in the garbage.

Good luck Jack, don't see why they would take it down ;)

L!nK..
29-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm interested in making my layout like that :P;)

MrPinkPanther
Lol in no way is that a rip, its black amgzzz no wai! Anyone who says its ripped is a grade A fool. Everyone takes inspiration from eachother, if someone took it from me I would be glad that my work is being acknowledged. Ripping is when you take someones layout and edit it, the only thing he has used are the box edges ''/

Invent
HostGator take DMCA Complaints seriously and the best way to file a complaint is via letter.

I thought you would know that, I guess not ;) I'm also finding it very funny how Jack got slaughtered on CHF so he came here.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Becasue clubhabbo is full of ******s, All they do is go on habbo, While half of us here dont.

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 08:02 PM
HostGator take DMCA Complaints seriously and the best way to file a complaint is via letter.

I thought you would know that, I guess not ;) I'm also finding it very funny how Jack got slaughtered on CHF so he came here.
Must just be you guys, because here in America, we have this thing called E-Mail, thats instant, and no paper :o

Invent
29-12-2007, 08:05 PM
You do know email (Unless digitally signed by a verified and trusted third party) is not an acceptable medium for legal complaints?

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 08:09 PM
You do know email (Unless digitally signed by a verified and trusted third party) is not an acceptable medium for legal complaints?
They aren't going to do anything legal over a Habbo Layout anyways..? So I don't see why "e-mail is not an acceptable medium for legal complaints", and

You do know that I have had courses in legal education, as a graduation requirement? So I do know how the legal system works (here in America, at least).

World Law is not until semester 2 of college (Which starts January 18).

Plus, to be charged with anything to do with data on the internet, you have to have at least $25 in productivity or $25 in data loss, for it to actually matter to a judge.

So unless you can prove that this has cost you $25 in loss of productivity, or $25 in "data loss", then I am sure Jack is fine ;)

Invent
29-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm not trying to "charge" Jack anything. I'm trying to see if the layout can be edited more or removed.

And just because it is a "habbo layout" doesn't mean it's less important than any other DMCA Complaint, maybe to you, but not to HG.

Falcon
29-12-2007, 08:12 PM
It looks nothing like Habbolake, he has same colours and shading but nothing else looks the same as this other site.
But loads of websites have the same colours and shading as invent's site. :rolleyes:

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not trying to "charge" Jack anything. I'm trying to see if the layout can be edited more or removed.

And just because it is a "habbo layout" doesn't mean it's less important than any other DMCA Complaint, maybe to you, but not to HG.
Well a DCMA complaint just asks him/forces him to remove it from his site.. which in return he could press charges against you for false accusations.

I guess HostGator will decide, even though I don't see how them taking it down is going to "see if it can be changed a bit."

In all due respect, it is his layout.. it looks nothing like yours (except colors.. you can't rip a color..).. so why complain? Its not like it is hurting you, HabboLake will end up shutting down in a couple of weeks/month. *(Mini-I, MyHabbo [I think that was it..], HabboPaper)*

Invent
29-12-2007, 08:17 PM
In all due respect, it is his layout.. it looks nothing like yours (except colors.. you can't rip a color..).. so why complain? Its not like it is hurting you, HabboLake will end up shutting down in a couple of weeks/month. *(Mini-I, MyHabbo [I think that was it..], HabboPaper)*

Mini-I was previously open for around 2 years and then later closed for myHabbo
MyHabbo was opened as a part of Mini-I but we decided to bring back Mini-I instead
HabboPaper was open for several years and was later closed for Mini-I.

None of my sites have only been open for one week.

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 08:19 PM
So,
Mini-I, myHabbo, myHabbo, Mini-I, HabboPaper, Mini-I, HabboLake.. => Now

I said couple of weeks, the longest you have had is Mini-I? Which the second time around didn't stay open that long..

HabboPaper used to be good, as I remember the old owner, it was the only site with good news, then it died and went into your hands, now its dead again.

MrPinkPanther
29-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Simon you said yourself you were bored of habbo then you released Habbo lake???

Invent
29-12-2007, 08:23 PM
One min, I'm a little busy right now. I'll come back to arguing in around 20minutes :P x

MrPinkPanther
29-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Make it an hour, gotta do revision

zeJosh
29-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, my letter is in the post to HostGator, I'll let them decide. If they deny my complaint then I'll leave it at that.

Simon.. Seriously, you're getting serious about Habbo?

Invent
29-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Simon.. Seriously, you're getting serious about Habbo?

I'm serious about people copying/stealing my designs, not about Habbo :rolleyes:

zeJosh
29-12-2007, 08:35 PM
It's a couple of pixels..
A Few pixels, I seriously do doubt, the pros at Hostgator will give a damn
about pixels, and will just laugh at you.

Moh
29-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm serious about people copying/stealing my designs, not about Habbo :rolleyes:
I don't need your permission to go on paint and add 3 colours together.

Jordan,
29-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Spammmm up :)

Dentafrice,
29-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I am Jesus.. no doub't.

Awfy
29-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Simon can't complain, since he did copy the box style from the design of TheHabbo I showed him. So it's not ripped.

lolwut
29-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Simon, you can moan at everyone and say your running off to the post box to file a DMCA whatever you call them or whatever you want, but, I hate to break it to you... no one cares.

Invent
29-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Simon can't complain, since he did copy the box style from the design of TheHabbo I showed him. So it's not ripped.What? The only design you've shown me was that Habbo Wikipedia thing, did that even have a similar design?

Simon, you can moan at everyone and say your running off to the post box to file a DMCA whatever you call them or whatever you want, but, I hate to break it to you... no one cares.Did I make this thread you idiot?

Edited by Agesilaus (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude.

MrPinkPanther
29-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I am Jesus.. no doub't.
Valid point, +rep

lolwut
29-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Actually, yes, you where the one who said to Jack that he was ripping, so in a way, yes you where ;)
x

Invent
29-12-2007, 09:34 PM
So me defending myself means I started the thread?..

Awfy
29-12-2007, 09:34 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc241/Awfy/preview1.png
That's the style TheHabbo has been using since the beginning of the site's development. Long before you designed one for HabboLake.

Invent
29-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I see your point with the border, but the reason why I'm annoyed about HabbCrazy is that it looks like the navigation has been screenshot, copied and pasted.

Awfy
29-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I see your point with the border, but the reason why I'm annoyed about HabbCrazy is that it looks like the navigation has been screenshot, copied and pasted.
Actually I see your point. It looks like a cross between HabboLake and ClubHabbo...

Moh
29-12-2007, 09:48 PM
All I see is a 216x27 box filled with #333333 and some text. goldfish, size 9, 1px border.

Awfy
29-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Best not to list things when trying to prove you haven't ripped, makes the ripping offence sound worse...

Also anyone noticed the word "RIP" in a thread title brings a lot of users to it...

zeJosh
29-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Simon, you made a thread about it.

craigg.
30-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Clean room design:

Clean room design (also known as the Chinese wall technique) is the method of copying a design by reverse engineering and then recreating it without infringing any of the copyrights and trade secrets associated with the original design. Clean room design is useful as a defense against copyright and trade secret infringement because it relies on independent invention. However, because independent invention is not a defense against patents, clean room designs typically cannot be used to circumvent patent restrictions.

The term implies that the design team works in an environment that is 'clean', or demonstrably uncontaminated by any knowledge of the proprietary techniques used by the competitor.

Typically, a clean room design is done by having someone examine the system to be reimplemented and having this person write a specification. This specification is then reviewed by a lawyer to ensure that no copyrighted material is included. The specification is then implemented by a team with no connection to the original examiners.

that will simply rule out the idea of "ripping". Jack should not be made to remove/edit his layout so long as he hasn't printscreened/copied any image from HabobLake.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!