PDA

View Full Version : Should parents/guardians hit their children?

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Just wondering what people's views are on this. I mean, it has been in and out of Parliament, and in and out the news.

Various countries have even banned parents hitting their children at all, others have banned the use of implements, and others allow the use of any corporal punishment in the home, as long as it don't cause serious injury.

Personally, I think it's OK as long as it's not going to do any major physcial/mental harm to the child. I must admitt, I've had my experiances in the past, present and probably future and it's not done me any harm. I left school with 11 GCSE's, and am doing well at A Level and have a good life ahead of me. Views?

Superman
29-12-2007, 08:30 PM
It's fine as long as it's not actually abusive. There's a difference between disciplining your child and abusing them, and it's sad that currently parents are scared to discipline their own children, and so they grow up to be the little [bad word]s that you see all over the place.

Finkelstien
29-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Well in South Africa a parent is not allowed to implement any form of physical punishment on a child or it is seen as child abuse.

I personally don't agree. Look like everything in life there has to be a limit, beating your child with a stick or a belt is totally not on and that to me is a criminal offense and any parent who does that, in my view, should burn in hell. However, I do feel that there is no better way to teach your child discipline when they are young by giving him or her a good old spank here and there.

Also after a certain age, say from around 13, parents should not use this method any longer as it can crush a childs developing personality.

cocaine2
29-12-2007, 08:36 PM
yeah, if neccessary it should be allowed for a parent to throttle their child until it behaves.

Virgin Mary
29-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes, well I would anyway. Though I'm torn on whether intimidation or violence is the best form of punishment. There's some teenagers who just need a good *** kicking.

VPSwow
29-12-2007, 09:00 PM
I think its ok aslongs as its not bad.

I mean my parents used to hit me when i was younger but not abusive and if they didnt i wouldnt have no respect for them.

Asher
29-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Give them brats a good kick in the head

-:Undertaker:-
29-12-2007, 09:06 PM
A smack is ok, however if I had a teen who was a total moron i'd probably end up killing him.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Some of the punishments I've had can be seen as harsh, but I know that they can do me some good, which is what should be the aim of the whole thing anyway.

Jamesy
29-12-2007, 09:19 PM
if they are screaming in a restaurant or the cinema I think anyone should have full rights to hit them *hate moment*

Yes, if they are being whiney little ******s they should have full right to.

mangle
29-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah aslong as it isn't a regular thing. If they're causing you that much trouble get help i'd say. A slap isn't too bad anyway!

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 09:28 PM
if they are screaming in a restaurant or the cinema I think anyone should have full rights to hit them *hate moment*

Yes, if they are being whiney little ******s they should have full right to.

You only think it should be for little children then? What about for teenagers?

Metric.
yes.. its fun .

Sammeth.
A smack is ok, however if I had a teen who was a total moron i'd probably end up killing him.

Yeah, hitting a child is quite different to murder. :P

I think a tap on the hand is alright, but if it gets to the point where its hurting the child rather than giving them a helpful reminder they are breaking a rule, then its too excessive.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, hitting a child is quite different to murder. :P

I think a tap on the hand is alright, but if it gets to the point where its hurting the child rather than giving them a helpful reminder they are breaking a rule, then its too excessive.

Isn't the whole point of it to hurt them? In my opinion, it's there to tell children/teenagers that with actions come consequences.

Jamesy
29-12-2007, 09:37 PM
You only think it should be for little children then? What about for teenagers?

Then I should get a gun. Then they would stop walking so damn slowly :eusa_wall

Jordy
29-12-2007, 09:38 PM
If it leaves a mark after 5 minutes such as a bruise or something, it shouldn't be allowed, however it should be enough to hurt the child and show them who's boss and not to do it again.

But I can't honestly imagine myself smacking my own child, can you?

Jamesy
29-12-2007, 09:39 PM
If it leaves a mark after 5 minutes such as a bruise or something, it shouldn't be allowed, however it should be enough to hurt the child and show them who's boss and not to do it again.

Yes.

MrGazet
29-12-2007, 09:39 PM
it depends on the situation really.maybe some smacking's good but not bad ones

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 09:42 PM

No I can't, but I suppose alot of parents say that really. Alot of parents say that they tried not smacking their children, but it's not worked.

And I think my Dad ignores that rule - I don't get bruised, but I've had my fair share of welts.

cocaine2
29-12-2007, 09:46 PM
If it leaves a mark after 5 minutes such as a bruise or something, it shouldn't be allowed

5 minutes? Jesus, is that all? I've had some that have lasted 20 mins+

And slapping does work, I wouldn't do anything bad now..

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 09:59 PM
5 minutes? Jesus, is that all? I've had some that have lasted 20 mins+

And slapping does work, I wouldn't do anything bad now..

Have your parents ever used a implement on you? e.g belt, stick

Krusty
29-12-2007, 10:02 PM
yes. but only when necesary. to teach them right from wrong

:Liam
29-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I think no really. its unnecessary If you cant discipline your child without hitting them you've failed as a parent. Parents just need a system of Privileges and removal of privileges. Its simple. Like for me when im moody with me they either change the wireless internet code, take away my sky viewing card or take away my phone, I soon get put back in my place.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I think no really. its unnecessary If you cant discipline your child without hitting them you've failed as a parent. Parents just need a system of Privileges and removal of privileges. Its simple. Like for me when im moody with me they either change the wireless internet code, take away my sky viewing card or take away my phone, I soon get put back in my place.

I beg to differ. As I've said, my parents have dished out some pretty harsh corporal punnishment, but I've done well at school and I hope I've got a good life ahead of me.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I been abused by my dad around 3 years ago..

so no, becasue we all are little kids, and we learn, but not hitting lmao..

There better ways like sending them to your room...Or taking toys away, get grounded, so hitting is ******* stupid

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 10:48 PM
I been abused by my dad around 3 years ago..

so no, becasue we all are little kids, and we learn, but not hitting lmao..

There better ways like sending them to your room...Or taking toys away, get grounded, so hitting is ******* stupid

There is a line between discipline and abuse. When my Dad has hit me, I don't feel abused. I feel exactly the same towards him before, and after the punishments.

cocaine2
29-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Have your parents ever used a implement on you? e.g belt, stick

not that i can remember of

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Ye but why hit when you can send them to there room?

We not bloody slaves you know, we all learn our mistakes.

tdi
29-12-2007, 10:51 PM
supernanny doesn't hit children, therefore there is no need at all.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Ye but why hit when you can send them to there room?

We not bloody slaves you know, we all learn our mistakes.

If I got sent to my room I would just go on the Playstation, watch some DVDs, read books. I wouldn't see that as a punishment.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 10:56 PM
If I got sent to my room I would just go on the Playstation, watch some DVDs, read books. I wouldn't see that as a punishment.

In my first post, it said remove them. :rolleyes:

Parents only hit, because it the easiest way,

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't do that to my kids tbh,

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 10:58 PM
In my first post, it said remove them. :rolleyes:

Parents only hit, because it the easiest way,

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't do that to my kids tbh,

My Dad isn't going to remove all my wardrobes, cuboards etc is he? I doubt many people's parents would.

Virgin Mary
29-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Pain is more effective, what do you think electrolysis and shock treatment do?

Jordy
29-12-2007, 11:05 PM
supernanny doesn't hit children, therefore there is no need at all.Yes bit she has to act within the law and not take risks, also can you actually be bothered to keep picking up the kid and putting them back on the naughty step for 30 mins?

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 11:08 PM
My Dad isn't going to remove all my wardrobes, cuboards etc is he? I doubt many people's parents would.

Okay, get hit.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Yes bit she has to act within the law and not take risks, also can you actually be bothered to keep picking up the kid and putting them back on the naughty step for 30 mins?

Exactly, which is why I agree with corporal punnishment. It can be just, if not more effective then naughty steps etc, and alot easier, if used appropiatly.

And to ILoveNemo - I never enjoyed my father hitting me, but I learn alot more from it then being sent up to my room.

reindeer.
29-12-2007, 11:13 PM
yes.
get some discipline into these mini chavs.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 11:14 PM
It also teaches childern, when they get hit, when they get older, they might go to far..

That the problem.

That how most abuse start rofl/

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 11:17 PM
It also teaches childern, when they get hit, when they get older, they might go to far..

That the problem.

That how most abuse start rofl/

Yes, in some cases this can happen, but not In all cases. I got my first taste of corporal punishment I recall at the age of around 10, and I've never shown any violence towards anyone in my life.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 11:18 PM
well i did,

I got abused, and i cant control my fist sometimes..

Virgin Mary
29-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Well you have anger problems then. Supernanny isn't going to hit kids because why would a parent want someone else to hit their kids? The reason these parents get her in the first place is because they're too scared to take any disciplinary action against their kids.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Well I'm sorry about that, and I am aware it can have its risks, but Im proof it can work.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Well you have anger problems then.

ye, Casued by abuse

Obv,, dont post something if you never been through it.

EDIT: it alright, but it risky lol.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 11:26 PM
EDIT: it alright, but it risky lol.

Exactly, thats my point :) And I don't feel abused when my Dad has done things to me, and I've some harsh corporal punishment in the past, only for really severe things.

WarezKid
29-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I dont agree with it, because we made mistakes, but if you mean like, you got caught with sex, then maybe, but not for breaking things lol

j
29-12-2007, 11:28 PM
A little slap on the arm or bum for disiplin(sp) is alright I suppose.

Frodo13.
29-12-2007, 11:29 PM
If I did something my mistake then no, but if I purposely do it, then yeah, I will get smacked or whipped.

Shawnstra
30-12-2007, 03:10 AM
They should be allowed to, but discouraged to. I think that the best way of educating a child is via reasoning. If you hit a child because they do something wrong, their mindset would be "I do not want to do this thing because i'm afraid my parent will hit me", however if you educate them, they would think, "I do not want to do this thing because its wrong". Hitting should be used as a last resort to the most incoherent child, but later the parents should explain to the child that they have no choice but to hit them, and explain to them why this thing they do is wrong.

Moh
30-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Yes, if they are been naughty. They then "should" learn not to do it again as it will result in pain. They should first have a warning and if they don't stop thats when you get Mr Slap out ;o

But not brutaly beat them :p

Janet Snakehole
30-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Smacking children is wrong, full stop.

le harry
30-12-2007, 04:27 AM
if they were right little *******s i'd probably give them a smack or something lol.

Moh
30-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Smacking children is wrong, full stop.
Take it you have never been alone with them?
Erm.. sounds a bit wrong..

spot.
30-12-2007, 06:50 AM
yes even though my parents didnt hit me i turned out PERFECT :)

GommeInc
30-12-2007, 01:01 PM
To a degree it's ok, but if the child turns out mentally scarred, bleeding or bruised then it is wrong

Ramones
30-12-2007, 01:30 PM
depends from child to child, i think sadly enough if you didn't do it some children wouldn't grasp the concept of right and wrong.

salacious
30-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm dumbfounded that the some people seem to think that hitting a child will help them? Hitting a child should not be acceptable, if you have to resort to hitting your child, as someone else said, you have failed as a parent. Its your job to teach them what is right and wrong, resorting to hitting (or by other means) the message into your child is a disgusting and cruel thing to do.

Every parent has a responsibility to support the care and protection of their (and others) children and by hitting them, that isn't care nor is it protection. You would be teaching your children incorrect morals in life, hitting them to teach them something is almost as backwards as you can get.

Child abuse (physical and mental) was the reason that the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) was set up for and what it fights against. By hitting your child, they could get mental, emotional and phsical disorders. For the person who said "I'm proof it works" are you really that ignorant? Thousands of children are out there, stabbing, killing because of abuse they've received and you think it works? And then there are the actual children being physically or sexually abused, who are to scared to even talk about it.

Now.

Isn't the whole point of it to hurt them? In my opinion, it's there to tell children/teenagers that with actions come consequences.

I thught the point of hitting your child was to discipline them? Beating the message into your child is disgusting. There are all sorts of methods of discipline, if you disagree with them - I couldn't care less, i'm just expressing my views on hitting children.

"If it leaves a mark after 5 minutes such as a bruise or something, it shouldn't be allowed, however it should be enough to hurt the child and show them who's boss and not to do it again."

I will finish from this on the NSPCC site;

"What may seem to be harmless smacks can lead to unexpected injury. For example, ruptured eardrums, brain damage, and injuries or even death from falls caused by blows.

Parents who use physical punishment may say they control the force of the smack and do not intend to harm their child. But the reality is that adults usually resort to smacking when they are angry and have "lost it", which gives them less control over their actions. What's more, some parents find they need to smack harder and harder over time in order to produce the same result with their children.

Growing up with violence can make children insecure and fearful from an early age. They may be less confident and assertive as they grow up. Or they may grow up to feel that aggression is the most effective way of communicating and getting what they want."

Just my opinion on the matter. I don't intend to have a debate.

WarezKid
30-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm dumbfounded that the some people seem to think that hitting a child will help them? Hitting a child should not be acceptable, if you have to resort to hitting your child, as someone else said, you have failed as a parent. Its your job to teach them what is right and wrong, resorting to hitting (or by other means) the message into your child is a disgusting and cruel thing to do.

Every parent has a responsibility to support the care and protection of their (and others) children and by hitting them, that isn't care nor is it protection. You would be teaching your children incorrect morals in life, hitting them to teach them something is almost as backwards as you can get.

Child abuse (physical and mental) was the reason that the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) was set up for and what it fights against. By hitting your child, they could get mental, emotional and phsical disorders. For the person who said "I'm proof it works" are you really that ignorant? Thousands of children are out there, stabbing, killing because of abuse they've received and you think it works? And then there are the actual children being physically or sexually abused, who are to scared to even talk about it.

Now.

I thught the point of hitting your child was to discipline them? Beating the message into your child is disgusting. There are all sorts of methods of discipline, if you disagree with them - I couldn't care less, i'm just expressing my views on hitting children.

"If it leaves a mark after 5 minutes such as a bruise or something, it shouldn't be allowed, however it should be enough to hurt the child and show them who's boss and not to do it again."

I will finish from this on the NSPCC site;

"What may seem to be harmless smacks can lead to unexpected injury. For example, ruptured eardrums, brain damage, and injuries or even death from falls caused by blows.

Parents who use physical punishment may say they control the force of the smack and do not intend to harm their child. But the reality is that adults usually resort to smacking when they are angry and have "lost it", which gives them less control over their actions. What's more, some parents find they need to smack harder and harder over time in order to produce the same result with their children.

Growing up with violence can make children insecure and fearful from an early age. They may be less confident and assertive as they grow up. Or they may grow up to feel that aggression is the most effective way of communicating and getting what they want."

Just my opinion on the matter. I don't intend to have a debate.

Thanks for taking my words outta of my mouth dude xx

---MAD---
30-12-2007, 02:29 PM
To a degree it's ok, but if the child turns out mentally scarred, bleeding or bruised then it is wrong
Yeah I agree actually. The child would not care what you say if the most you do is shout at him. Especially as he/she grows. The main reason I think a child would need a hit is if he/she is rude to wards an adult or his/her parents.

Beating the hell out the child is obviously useless as the child would rebel instead of listen.

Its amazing to see a child scared of their mother when all she does is give him the "big eye stare". The child immediately knows he/she is doing something wrong and stops it.

Best discipline IMO is taking what the child adores most for a period of time. IE their mobile phone or computer or not giving them money.

Alkaz
30-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Best discipline IMO is taking what the child adores most for a period of time. IE their mobile phone or computer or not giving them money.

I agree with that, i think its one of the best things to do to a child as they dont want them things taken away from them, but ye sometimes they do need a smack to show them who is boss, as they will always find something to keep them occupied then the things u took dont become as important to them then it becomes less of a punishment

Teyauna.
30-12-2007, 06:17 PM
It's fine as long as it's not actually abusive. There's a difference between disciplining your child and abusing them, and it's sad that currently parents are scared to discipline their own children, and so they grow up to be the little [bad word]s that you see all over the place.

Yea. If it's abuse and it happens often, for no reason, it should be banned. But if it's for displinary reasons, it's fine, as long as it's not over the top.

Well in South Africa a parent is not allowed to implement any form of physical punishment on a child or it is seen as child abuse.

I personally don't agree. Look like everything in life there has to be a limit, beating your child with a stick or a belt is totally not on and that to me is a criminal offense and any parent who does that, in my view, should burn in hell. However, I do feel that there is no better way to teach your child discipline when they are young by giving him or her a good old spank here and there.

Also after a certain age, say from around 13, parents should not use this method any longer as it can crush a childs developing personality.

Well, I am all for it. My mom beats me, my dad does too. My mom said she's actually glad her mom beat her because it taught her a lot of lessons, that helped her in life today. You might not like it now, but later on in life, it'll help.

My sister is 16, she used to get beats at 14, 15, she's fine. Developing personality? Foolishness. I am fine and I get beats. I'm 13 going on 14 next year, it just teaches me discipline and wrong from right. It teaches me what happens when you do something wrong, the consequences of my actions.

yeah, if neccessary it should be allowed for a parent to throttle their child until it behaves.

As long as it's not abuse.

Frodo13.
30-12-2007, 10:00 PM
^^

Exactly. Many parents say they have tried not hitting their children, but it doesn't work. Who knows, I may smack my children if nothing else works, I certainly won't whip them like my father has been known to do to me.

Hitman
30-12-2007, 11:23 PM
If I did something really bad, I'd get a smacked bottom. It's a place it doesn't hurt in the long run and teaches the child. Now I'm almost as big as my dad, we argue but if he tried to smack my bum (which he doesn't now only when I was 5 - 8?) I'd just punch him. :P

That was only if I did something really bad.

Grimmauld
31-12-2007, 12:16 AM
lol my parents beat me before but now they dont as it taught me the lesson needed already so yea id hit my children lol but not to the limit where theyre dead

Lycan
31-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I woudn't, being smacked when i was a child really didn't do anything other then make my relationship with my dad more distent

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!