PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard the phrase "throwing water on a chip pan fire"

Mentor
03-01-2008, 01:50 AM
If not, you have now. And for the more ignorant among you, trying the above is a good way to set your house on fire.

Basically the phrase means, tackling a small problem in such a way you cause a big one. Example?

Problem) People accuse you of corruption
Solution) you make these threads disappear.

Wow... I'm not sure your aware of this, but that action is only providing evidence for the claim, and converting anyone from a neutral stance to any anti-habbox stance. This isn't even the first time its happened, you'd think you would learn a bit.

Instead you could just leave these threads with long rants about how you'll probably delete them, not deleted, it just looks like people are rambling on about nothing. The majority of the forum thinks nothing of it.
Why you didn't i don't know. Your current actions go along the line of "if you call me violent ill hit you". which simply proves the original claim as true, instead of a diplomatic response which instead proves it false.

You also end up with a lot of problem of your often redefined take on not discussing ban reasons on the forum. Why you don't, doesn't really make alot of sence and just leads to alot of wasted posts and annoyed members. Its much like the debates policy in terms of how much seance it makes, but hey, that never lead to problems like this, so that ain't really the heart of it. The bigger problem would be you very weird interpretation of this rule. You see, sometimes its perfectly fine to discuss aspects of it, sometimes it aint.
Looking now, a number of threads with no reference to ban reasons are actually closed on this guise.

The problem: the forums being run by kids, who have got in to a strop (granted your auguring with other equally stroppy kids, but your the staff, like it or not, your supposed to be remaining professional, the members arnt). That's no big thing, but this is really where the top admin should be stepping in. sierk?
Put the staff and the members straight. Do it publicly, do it clearly and ambiguously... You've done it before, and last time stopped the problem in its tracked remember. A nice big announcement worded properly, instead of the stroppy kid style some of the staff are currently coming out with. Problem fixed.

Now, im not mentioning names, issues, or really even taking sides. People know who they are, and what actions and mistakes they've made. Im just stateing the problem from the members prospective as i see it. Hopefully to give the staff an idea of the problem from a view point they may currently be missing. Of possibly just to get sierks but in gear, as when he actually does start doing stuff, he has a good track record of fixing this kinds of issues pretty fast and very effectively (i've been here long enough to see it).
Will this topic go for "disrupting the forum" (sounds like communist russia...) or will it stay. I hope the later or this forum may truly be doomed.

- Carl

P.S. Why im here and taking issue, seeing as none of them particularly bother me: Because this is the closest thing on the forum to a debate right now, open up the debates forum and you'll shut me up :P

Additionally: Why is the forum so damn laggy and slow at the moment?

mat64
03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Very well written post, interesting to read. We'll just have to see if it influences any of the changes your looking for. For your last point, the forum lags around this time due to it backing up or something along those lines :).

Superman
03-01-2008, 03:07 AM
http://www.gov.je/NR/rdonlyres/A9478627-B535-4C19-A4E0-B449C874FE03/0/firstarts_Page_1.jpg

Edited by opensourcehost (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly.

le harry
03-01-2008, 05:37 AM
very well written post, and yeah its lags most days at this time.

Aflux
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Here here.

Oh, and the forum is laggy every day from around 1:30 - 4:00 in the morning.

dannyisnotamazing
03-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Can you not summarize it please.

Aflux
03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Can you not summarize it please.
Basically, the way to go about dealing with OpinionsFTW is NOT to close threads made about the subject and not to ban forum users for using and/or promoting it - I think.

dannyisnotamazing
03-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Basically, the way to go about dealing with OpinionsFTW is NOT to close threads made about the subject and not to ban forum users for using and/or promoting it - I think.
Oh. It'll die down soon anyway imo. Happened before when he first opened it

Pat McGroin
03-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Carl posts on oFTW, so it's not that. Plus if they did that then it would show how bad this forum is getting.

Aflux
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Carl posts on oFTW, so it's not that. Plus if they did that then it would show how bad this forum is getting.
They did that last night?

Pat McGroin
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
They did that last night?

I meant the bit for using oFTW.

Jamie.
04-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Carl u go son:)!

Lycan
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I Agree completly with the opening post...

went slightly off topic to talk about Opinionsftw again, i think we should concentrate on the corruption and actions of Mad and others mentioned in opening post

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!