PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Q

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey I have a quick question.

Some mates of mine were saying today that it's illegal for me to be going out with my dad as I am not insured under the car?

I said to my dad about it and he said that it's fine because he has fully comp insurance and it covers him giving me permission to drive the car and him to teach me...

Just wondering if anyone could confirm either way as I really don't wanna get in bother before I'm even driving! lol

Smiddy
10-01-2008, 08:16 PM
You're not a named driver for the car on an insurance so you shouldn't be allowed to drive his car, on the other hand, the advantage of going out with a named driver, if you do crash you can swap seats... :).

I'm pretty sure that is the case anyway.

Edit: seems I'm wrong, based on the posts below!

Swearwolf
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
As long as you have a provisional and he is in the car with you, its legal, you must also have L plates on :)

Mr.Sam
10-01-2008, 08:19 PM
you need a provisional, and the other person has to be over 21 and have had a driving licence for 3 years.

jesus
10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
you need a provisional, and the other person has to be over 21 and have had a driving licence for 3 years....and you need insurance on the car you are driving.

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Yep I have provisional, been using L Plates, my Dad's defo over 21 lol and he has been driving for like 20 years lol... And like I say he has fully comp insurance.

All cool then? lol

jesus
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Yep I have provisional, been using L Plates, my Dad's defo over 21 lol and he has been driving for like 20 years lol... And like I say he has fully comp insurance.

All cool then? lolas long as you are insured for the vehicle then it will be fine

you can be insured under your dads insurance but you will have to contact the insurance company for that and it will be cheaper than just your own but still pretty dear

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Lol so many confusing diff posts!:P

Digital
10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Dnt think u have to be insured like....

jesus
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
RIGHT SERIOUSLY NOW.

in reply to posts like the one above this, you are NOT allowed to drive ANYTHING on the road without insurance.

i know this because i've looked into it and it was a question on my theory test which i got correct.

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
RIGHT SERIOUSLY NOW.

in reply to posts like the one above this, you are NOT allowed to drive ANYTHING on the road without insurance.

i know this because i've looked into it and it was a question on my theory test which i got correct.

Can you link me to something explaining please as atm all I have is loads of people's diff opinions lol.

My dad said that his fully comp insurance covers him to give anyone else permission to drive the vehicle with him there...

jesus
10-01-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-insurance/Car-Insurance/10/2/

http://www.fastquotes.co.uk/car-insurance.html

they explain quite a lot, it sucks how theres so many different things to consider when buying a car :(

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Looking on the DVA website all it says is:-

If you want to practise your driving with an accompanying driver, the accompanying driver must be over the age of 21 and must have held (and still hold) a full licence, in the relevant vehicle category, for three years.

As a learner driver you must display 'L' plates ('L' or 'D' plates in Wales) in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the vehicle you are driving.

Nothing to do with insurance...

Edit: I have also read the links you gave me and it just tells me what I already know about the insurance types - nothing about learners needing any to drive with a family instructor etc.

jesus
10-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Looking on the DVA website all it says is:-

Nothing to do with insurance...

Edit: I have also read the links you gave me and it just tells me what I already know about the insurance types - nothing about learners needing any to drive with a family instructor etc.i see. to my knowledge you cant drive a car if you arent named as a driver on it, thats what ive been told by my instructor and also on my theory test !

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
i see. to my knowledge you cant drive a car if you arent named as a driver on it, thats what ive been told by my instructor and also on my theory test !

Lol well tell me - are you insured as a named driver on your instructors car?! If not - then how can you drive it?

jesus
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Lol well tell me - are you insured as a named driver on your instructors car?! If not - then how can you drive it?coz the car itself is insured

rather than the people being insured for the car

Ostinato
10-01-2008, 11:53 PM
coz the car itself is insured

rather than the people being insured for the car

And that's what I am trying to say... my car has fully comp insurance - so therefore it's fine?! :S lol Isn't it the same principle?

Kewl
11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
You're fine, the person teaching you is taking full responsibilty for you crashing or causing an accident. I know, I passed my driving test and all that shizz in december. <3

Ostinato
11-01-2008, 12:12 AM
You're fine, the person teaching you is taking full responsibilty for you crashing or causing an accident. I know, I passed my driving test and all that shizz in december. <3

And did you go out driving with your dad or anyone mate?

Kewl
11-01-2008, 12:13 AM
And did you go out driving with your dad or anyone mate?

With the AA driving school mostly, couple of times with my mum, I phoned the dvla to ask about insurance, they basically said as long as the owner of the car is in there with you, that they're the ones who take full responsiblity blah blah blah

FlyingJesus
11-01-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't think fully comp will cover you as you're a learner and don't have a full license.

Kewl
11-01-2008, 12:18 AM
http://www.directline.com/motor/learningtodrive.htm

looks like you do need insurance

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!