PDA

View Full Version : Mc Donald blames video games for child obeisity

Andeeh
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM
The chief executive of McDonald’s UK has hit out at video games for being a major cause of the childhood obesity crisis.

Steve Easterbrook told The Times that the food and drinks industry shared responsibility for the issue with individuals and Government.

But he made special mention of the popularity of games – and said they have reduced the amount of time young people spend outdoors “burning off energy”.

“The issue of obesity is complex and is absolutely one our society is facing, there’s no denial about that,” said Easterbrook. “But if you break it down I think there’s an education piece: how can we better communicate to individuals the importance of a balanced diet and taking care of themselves?

“Then there’s a lifestyle element: there’s fewer green spaces and kids are sat home playing computer games on the TV when in the past they’d have been burning off energy outside.”

According to The Times, McDonalds UK is ‘on the brink of its best year for two decades’. The firm has enjoyed six per cent like-for-like sales growth in the last year. More than 88 million visits were made to McDonald's restaurants last month, up 10 million on the previous year.

Source: http://xleague.tv/portal/News.aspx?Id=640&zoneId=3

dannyisnotamazing
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
lol. Most people who play computer games go out anyway and then they get the blame for teen violence/drunk/vandalism etc.

Pat McGroin
12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
lol. Most people who play computer games go out anyway and then they get the blame for teen violence/drunk/vandalism etc.

Some don't run about though. There's people who sit there allday playing games.

Andeeh
12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
But its coming from Mc Donalds? The biggest Fast food brand in the world.

Its just ridiculous coming from them

Pat McGroin
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
But its coming from Mc Donalds? The biggest Fast food brand in the world.

Its just ridiculous coming from them

No it's not. If people who play computer games allday don't excerise or go out as much as you should as a kid ect, then it's the kids fault. Tis not McDonalds fault the fat idiots like to go there and eat.

Azul
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Video games are a scapegoat for alot things, now obesity. I haven't heard so much crap in all my life. Why do people all of a sudden care about obesity anyway? If people wan't to live on crap and go without exercise, let them! It's their choice to do *** all about it.

Andeeh
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Agree with Azul.

Alan_Carr
12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, what Azul said :)

MrPinkPanther
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
This is stupid, some people play video games all day but thats their fault not the video games themselves. Its like someone eating carrots all day and then when they get fat say OMG CARROTS MAKE YOU FAT!!!. This is even more rediculous with the popularity of the wii which encourages you to burn calories with games like Wii sports and Wii fit.

Neil
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I spend maybe 40-50 hours gaming a week and I'm not fat? :S

Breakfloor
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
im overweight but i was on steroids for 2 weeks after my brain operation

and i had macdonalds 3 times a week and never went out and i was one of the skinniest people in my school before my op.

Technologic
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
mcdonalds are the ones making everyone fat not video games :l

Andeeh
12-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Exactly relax so they are alot hypocritcical.

and if you say mc donalds dont make u fat watch SuperSizeMe

Breakfloor
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
and look at americans

Andeeh
12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
and look at americans

Lol that made me laugh

<?PHP>
12-01-2008, 08:29 PM
thought they might blame somethin else

Infrontation
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I spend maybe 40-50 hours gaming a week and I'm not fat? :S

Similar. I'm infact 8stone at 5,11

Naruto!
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Video games are a scapegoat for alot things, now obesity. I haven't heard so much crap in all my life. Why do people all of a sudden care about obesity anyway? If people wan't to live on crap and go without exercise, let them! It's their choice to do *** all about it.
I am worried about obesity as there will be less people per square kilometre.

Fez
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
It's not the games - it's the parents. The same with fast food

graffiti
12-01-2008, 10:09 PM
well i play for 3-4 hours a day then coe on the computer then ataround 20:00 do some exercise on the stepper etc
that counts as doing exercise dont it?

Frodo13.
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
This is stupid, some people play video games all day but thats their fault not the video games themselves. Its like someone eating carrots all day and then when they get fat say OMG CARROTS MAKE YOU FAT!!!. This is even more rediculous with the popularity of the wii which encourages you to burn calories with games like Wii sports and Wii fit.

The Wii doesn't no where near make you do as much excercise then what people should do.

But yeah, its down to the person weather they want to go out and excersise, or stay in all day and get fat, not the gaming market.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!