PDA

View Full Version : Not getting on with Dad

Frodo13.
18-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, this has never been a problem really until recently, but me and my Dad just cannot get on.

One second, we will be OK, but the next one of us will say something, which the other will take the wrong way and will lead to an argument, and in turn this leading to me getting punnished. I know its just not my Dad, as I can say things which annoy him.

I've previously had a really good releation with my Dad, so would like some advice on how to get our relationship back on track

jesus
18-01-2008, 09:16 PM
i'm in a similar situation with my dad actually, most of the time we are okay but we just get these certain bits where we are constantly arguing. i've just learnt that that's the way he is and i have to live with it i guess

L!nK..
18-01-2008, 09:18 PM
i'm in a similar situation with my dad actually, most of the time we are okay but we just get these certain bits where we are constantly arguing. i've just learnt that that's the way he is and i have to live with it i guess

I think those sort of people cannot change.

jesus
18-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I think those sort of people cannot change.

i'm in a similar situation with my dad actually, most of the time we are okay but we just get these certain bits where we are constantly arguing. i've just learnt that that's the way he is and i have to live with it i guessthat's what i just said, as highlighted in red text.

L!nK..
18-01-2008, 09:31 PM
that's what i just said, as highlighted in red text.

Yes but I'm referring from my point of view as I know peoples parents are the same and cannot change who they are.

jesus
18-01-2008, 09:33 PM
yeah - everybody's different, some people are just awkward but nice in their own way. the key is learning to live with it and being happy around everyone :)

L!nK..
18-01-2008, 09:35 PM
yeah - everybody's different, some people are just awkward but nice in their own way. the key is learning to live with it and being happy around everyone :)

Yep I agree 100% with you.

Alan_Carr
18-01-2008, 09:42 PM
spend some quality time together, maybe on some male trips

Catzsy
18-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Well it seems you get on with him most of the time. It maybe difficult for him to accept you are growing up, becoming your own person and having your own opinions. Perhaps if you have an argument just accept it as it is and not worry too much about it if it calms down pretty much straightaway. If you have been rude to him during it though an apology would probably come in handy. Its just a phase I am sure. :)

Frodo13.
18-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Well it seems you get on with him most of the time. It maybe difficult for him to accept you are growing up, becoming your own person and having your own opinions. Perhaps if you have an argument just accept it as it is and not worry too much about it if it calms down pretty much straightaway. If you have been rude to him during it though an apology would probably come in handy. Its just a phase I am sure. :)

That could actually be a possibility - me and my Dad have such opposite opinions, for example, I hate football, he loves it. He thinks its OK to be racist and homophobic, I don't. Sometimes I feel I'm not the son he wanted me to be.

jesus
18-01-2008, 09:56 PM
That could actually be a possibility - me and my Dad have such opposite opinions, for example, I hate football, he loves it. He thinks its OK to be racist and homophobic, I don't. Sometimes I feel I'm not the son he wanted me to be.you shouldn't feel like that, your opinions on things just differ. some dads (including mine) and other people are sometimes really stubborn and will not consider others views and stuff, simply thinking theirs are always correct.

as for the arguements, dont rise to it, simply keep it as calm as you can and if it gets too much just walk off to your bedroom or something. that way you wont be getting punished :)

lAscend
18-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Right well i cant give you that much advice as ive never met my dad and dont wish to either so ill use my mum as for this they only best way is just to "keep the piece" and walk away i found it happens well when i do it but i can overpower my mum sometimes wich is a bit naughty of me but

YER just try not say anything bad i no its what teenagers do they argue with their parents cause its all natural and everything just think what about what your gonna say before you say or just go out the house with some mates just to cool down a bit.

Frodo13.
18-01-2008, 10:49 PM
you shouldn't feel like that, your opinions on things just differ. some dads (including mine) and other people are sometimes really stubborn and will not consider others views and stuff, simply thinking theirs are always correct.

as for the arguements, dont rise to it, simply keep it as calm as you can and if it gets too much just walk off to your bedroom or something. that way you wont be getting punished :)

Yes, I try that, and sometimes it can work, and other times he will just persist just to get a reaction out of me, which I have been guilty of doing, which then will lead to punishment, and his punishments can be unbelivably harsh for such little things.

jesus
18-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, I try that, and sometimes it can work, and other times he will just persist just to get a reaction out of me, which I have been guilty of doing, which then will lead to punishment, and his punishments can be unbelivably harsh for such little things.i know what you mean, i've done the same. if you still live with both your parents, maybe have a word with your mum and tell her what's bothering you and that you dont like the way your dad does some things, and she could have a word with him?

if not you could just talk to him about it yourself, but i know that would proably be hard to do. :(

Mr.Sam
18-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Just ignore him if he does that, change the subject - go get a drink or something.

other times he will just persist just to get a reaction out of me, which I have been guilty of doing, which then will lead to punishment, and his punishments can be unbelivably harsh for such little things.

Frodo13.
18-01-2008, 11:13 PM
i know what you mean, i've done the same. if you still live with both your parents, maybe have a word with your mum and tell her what's bothering you and that you dont like the way your dad does some things, and she could have a word with him?

if not you could just talk to him about it yourself, but i know that would proably be hard to do. :(

Just ignore him if he does that, change the subject - go get a drink or something.

Well, thanks for the advise and I'll try just ignoring him when he starts on me.

Teyauna.
19-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Try spending some time with him and telling him how you feel. Hopefully, he'll understand and you guys can get back to your loving relationship.

Frodo13.
20-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Talked to him, but within a few hours it started again.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!