PDA

View Full Version : Fair pay? - [Closes [11/03/08]

Mr.OSH
20-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Is it fair that jobs such as footballers, singers and actors get paid such large amounts of money when people working in jobs that hold our society together like firefighters, police and nurses and other emergency service workers get paid so much less? Should the amount you are paid depends on the effort and stress the job demands or should it depend on specific talents?

Is the amount people get paid fair? Should celebrities be paid more and should the people that make our lives safe and secure be paid less?

Happy Debating! :)

-:Undertaker:-
20-02-2008, 09:57 PM
If the system didn't work like this then that would be communism. Although I think the wages are terribly high I think it should be up to the Club.

Nixt
20-02-2008, 10:01 PM
It's not fair, but it's reality. Football Clubs are funded privately, they get massive amounts of money from memorabilia, tickets, sponsors etc etc. The services are paid for by taxes, people don't like paying high taxes and therefore they can't be paid as much. That's just the way it is...

Corporal
20-02-2008, 10:01 PM
There companys and if they are taking in more money than the goverment gives to people then unlucky.
It isnt fair though no

Tiked
20-02-2008, 10:07 PM
i think its quite rediculous (sp?), although football clubs are privately funded, celebrities on the BBC are payed through are taxes. My Mums a nurse and train drivers get paid more, when nurses are constantly helping the community wheras you don't need any skill to be a train driver.

PaintYourTarget
20-02-2008, 10:15 PM
i think its quite rediculous (sp?), although football clubs are privately funded, celebrities on the BBC are payed through are taxes. My Mums a nurse and train drivers get paid more, when nurses are constantly helping the community wheras you don't need any skill to be a train driver.
How often has human error been put down as the cause of Trains derailing? It's more frequent than any other reason.
Train drivers do require some skill, but no-where near that of a nurse.

Nixt
20-02-2008, 10:24 PM

BBC Celebrities are paid for with taxes? Really :-o? I never knew that...

Jordy
20-02-2008, 10:48 PM
BBC Celebrities are paid for with taxes? Really :-o? I never knew that...Yeah, the BBC is funded by the License Fee, nearly every household in the country pays £128 a year towards the BBC. The stupid thing is Jonathan Ross is paid over 1.5 million pounds each year, and that IS tax payers money.

Nixt
20-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I didn't realise TV Licensing was classed as a tax lol, soz.

Corporal
20-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I didn't realise TV Licensing was classed as a tax lol, soz.
it isnt:s
You dont have to have a tv license

PaintYourTarget
21-02-2008, 12:19 AM
If you have a Tv you have to have a Tv License. If you don't then you don't have to pay.

jesus
21-02-2008, 12:28 AM
No - people want to do this for money rather than entertainment. For instance, rugby league players drive Peugeots and Citroens and some have better ones, whereas footballers drive Ferraris and Lamborghinis. The rugby league players do it for fun and not to become famous and known everywhere in the world.

Corporal
21-02-2008, 09:40 AM
No - people want to do this for money rather than entertainment. For instance, rugby league players drive Peugeots and Citroens and some have better ones, whereas footballers drive Ferraris and Lamborghinis. The rugby league players do it for fun and not to become famous and known everywhere in the world.
So if you could afford a mint car, you wouldnt get it?

Callum.
21-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't agree. Footballers are entertainers, and they entertain at the end of the day. With the sponsers, tickets and stuff like that, they deserve to get that much. But it's alot.

Tiked
21-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't agree. Footballers are entertainers, and they entertain at the end of the day. With the sponsers, tickets and stuff like that, they deserve to get that much. But it's alot.

Some get ridiculous amounts whereas people who save lifes get nothing

Dudedanny123
21-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I think its unfair at how much footballers get pay.
People half way across the world working in "Sweat shops" sewing Brand names onto T-shirts in China, for example, get less than £1 an hour, working thousands of hours for little money. Whereas Footballers play roughly 90 minutes and get a heck of a lot more. Is that fair?!

lew!
21-02-2008, 08:13 PM
The only reason we have a tv license is that it pays for the BBC so they dont have to have adverts

Teyauna.
21-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I think that firefighters, etc. I paid so little. They risk their lives each day and sometimes they don't even get much thanks. That's should be much more highpaying then acting in a movie. I'm sorry.

poll
21-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I think its unfair at how much footballers get pay.
People half way across the world working in "Sweat shops" sewing Brand names onto T-shirts in China, for example, get less than £1 an hour, working thousands of hours for little money. Whereas Footballers play roughly 90 minutes and get a heck of a lot more. Is that fair?!

Yet you are probably sitting there in a nike jumper now?

I think its fair tbh they have to contribute to the taxs alot more etc. because they are gettin such a high wage and there career only lasts so long if it was the other way round and you was gettin paid that much you wouldnt complain also people pay for football etc. they can hardly turn around and say right chelsea Fc are making around 150mill a year but were only going to pay 30k a year to the footballers its relisation if a company is making alot of money they will have to pay the high prices to make the money its life live with it but yes it is unfair that people are slaving for 5p a hour or whatever but sadly thats life we have to realise these things and t wont change sadly?

today
21-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Lets face it if you earnt so much as the footballers you wouldnt be moaning, i wouldnt thus i dont care.

-:Undertaker:-
21-02-2008, 09:19 PM
The only reason we have a tv license is that it pays for the BBC so they dont have to have adverts

I'm sure all the families in the UK who struggle to make ends meet would rather have a few adverts on TV than have to pay Jonathan Woss.

GhostFace-
21-02-2008, 09:19 PM
i think that all people should get a a few 100 thousand a year.

warezkid3
21-02-2008, 09:22 PM

if you have a tv or a radio, you need one

Jordy
22-02-2008, 08:24 PM
That's such an awful argument. So what if you think that? We all think that, it's just life isn't like that. This debate isn't about what we would like pay to be like in our 'ideal little world'. it's about is pay fair in our cruel/unfair world today?

If your going to say petty stuff like that for the rest of your life then you really need to wake up and get with it.

Bibliophobia
23-02-2008, 02:09 PM

yay for devaluing the currency!!!

partie2
24-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Alot of people who earn alot of money for doing very little have worked very hard to get the position where they make money off themselves as they kind of become there own brand. But people like Paris Hilton dont deserve fame and money as they dont work hard for the money they have and they dont help out and spend the money they do have wisely.

Recursion
25-02-2008, 07:57 AM
What do footballers do in society? Entertain us for an hour and a half? I don't think that deserves how god damn much they get. Its rediculous.

Firehorse
01-03-2008, 01:45 PM
You may aswell pay for your house to be saved from a fire or pay for the drug smuggler to be arrested? Footballers should have to pay more tax and singers even though we are the country that pays the highest percentage of tax in the world. More money should go to people like the band that play the tune for a song and the tea boy.

Throne Sofa
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Well we are not a commuinist state so no. I do believe footballers are over paid, however it's their job. Just like being a police officer, fire fighter, doctor or ambulance doctor is their job, no need to start linking heroic stuff into it. A jobs a job and what they get paid is what they get paid. We wouldn't want to go commuinist at all.

FlyingJesus
05-03-2008, 02:04 AM
It's entirely fair as we live in a capitalist society and as football clubs, record labels, Hollywood and television studios are private companies they can pay what they like. Reprivatise healthcare and doctors might get more money sure, but you'll be paying more for it because you won't have the NHS.

This is life, things don't happen because they're the "nice" things, they happen because it's what works.

cunning
11-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I believe it's fair, they're getting paid to entertain. That how it works, people pay to see them and the money goes to them. I understand that firefighters, police, etc. don't see money that they're seeing but if everyone got paid what they get paid think of how that would effect the economy...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!