PDA

View Full Version : Is it a pain

Corporal
20-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Is it a pain linux, because certain programmes wont work on it?
Is it better just to get windows? because more programmes work with it?

Thread Closed by brandon (Forum Super Moderator): Due to it being bumped

jesus
20-01-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah that would make sense - windows is a lot better.

Jamesy
21-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Not neccasarily true, windows is not "better", just different.

Linux is opensource, so it is harder to use in some aspects. But it can be customised a lot easier than windows, it's more secure than windows and is smaller than a windows install. It's good to keep a livedisc handy incase windows goes wrong and you need to use the internet for help.

Most servers use linux/unix.

Mentor
23-01-2008, 02:21 PM
And some apps wont work on windows? being that there two totally differnt O/S's they have two totally differnt sets of applications that run on them. Windows apps wont work on linux, linux apps wont work on windows. In much the same way as you cant make toast with a kettle.

Prick
23-01-2008, 02:25 PM
And some apps wont work on windows? being that there two totally differnt O/S's they have two totally differnt sets of applications that run on them. Windows apps wont work on linux, linux apps wont work on windows. In much the same way as you cant make toast with a kettle.

I'll have to try that and prove you wrong.

Mentor
23-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I'll have to try that and prove you wrong.

The analogy still stands, since with enough hack and playing around, both came be made true :p

Splinter
25-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Not at all Linux has a wealth of software and much of it easily accessible in your distributions software repository. It may not be the same brand of software but there will always be a piece which carries out the same function.

If there isnt then Linux has another trick up its sleeve which windows doesnt, emulation. This allows you to run Windows programmes in Linux. Wine is ofcourse its names but packages which use this and help you to intergrate it into your system such as Cedega and Crossover Office are great help. But when a Linux based alternative is avaliable then its always better to use it.

Jdm1
25-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Thats shows how much you know about computers.

Eric30
25-01-2008, 09:51 PM
A lot of people expect to install linux and expect that the program they want will work on it first time, then get annoyed if it doesnt.

Remember linux is free, it was made by people in their own spare time for others to use.
When you buy windows, your buying a OS that has millions spent on it, so if somthing doesn't work then as you have paid for windows (or not as the case maybe) you can expect support.

If you have the time, you can make almost anything work on linux, where as windows you can't.

I do a linux/unix module at uni and I really enjoy it. I like how i can make a program to do stuff which can be useful using not too much line of code. However if i wanted to do that same thing in windows, i would have to spend hours making a VB program to do the same thing.

You can't say windows is a lot better, it really depends on what you are doing.

Most web servers will be using Linux and most 'big' site would probly use unix. (Google uses Linux on it's 1000's of servers)

Just my rant :P

Mentor
25-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Just as a small note: linux isnt a Unix O/S. Its not even built from the same source, so its not purely for legal reasons ether. At best it could be conciderd unix like.
Plus programs in linux generally do work the first time you run them? The only problems ive ever had are hardware related, trying to get wirless cards to work, stuff like that.

Kyle!
06-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Just as a small note: linux isnt a Unix O/S. Its not even built from the same source, so its not purely for legal reasons ether. At best it could be conciderd unix like.
Plus programs in linux generally do work the first time you run them? The only problems ive ever had are hardware related, trying to get wirless cards to work, stuff like that.

Erm... Yes it is. Linux was totally based and the core of the system is Unix, yes linux is a Unix system.

Edited by brandon (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not bump old threads

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!