PDA

View Full Version : News Reposter - Immitating the news, for you

Aflux
24-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Introduction

News Reposter is a website that offers news to the public of which is both informative and humourous.

The Market

There is a gap in the market for this sort of site. I haven't seen many, if any other website offer a news service much like this. The gap will hopefully be filled up by News Reposter although it's early days and we'll have to see what advertising companies can do for us.

What Does News Reposter Offer?
News Reposter aims to eliminate the boring side of news and bring you the best news and make it funny, or a completely funny story about something that no-one's heard about. Either way, humour is there to be used and as long as it's not used out-of-context [ie - using humour with terrorism] then the audience should be pleased.

The Audience

Hopefully, the audience will be youths aged around 16-24 with an eye for news, but with a bigger love for humour and basically, they can read the news without getting bored to tears and actually have a good laugh along the way. If the site is successful, the board will look at widening the audience.

HR

As always with a new project, staff is needed. I will be thinking about hiring a co-owner to basically help me with the project [not funding]. Once the co-owner has been found, the basic structure of the staff will be Directors of Departments -> News Reporters. Each 'category' of news will have it's own news reporter[s] and hopefully some general news reporters.

Feedback

As ever, all feedback is welcome.

Regards

Adam

RangeHost
24-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Sounds a great project. A PM has been sent to yourself.

Jõnathan
24-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Hope the project goes well Adam, and I might apply for a news reposter job :)

loserWILL
24-01-2008, 05:52 PM
This sounds amazing, all the best with it. I may apply, it just depends on what I'm doing.

Awfy
24-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, I'm always open to new projects to get my teeth into. I did come up with the name :)

RYANNNNN
24-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Good to see people are getting away from fansite crap but the whole point of the news is to give people the latest happenings straight, people aren't after humor with the news.

Awfy
24-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Good to see people are getting away from fansite crap but the whole point of the news is to give people the latest happenings straight, people aren't after humor with the news.
People with a sense of humour are, you might not of heard of one but they seem to be common...

Jõnathan
24-01-2008, 09:39 PM
If people weren't after humour with the news, then The Onion, Daily Show with John Stewart, and other sites / TV Shows in the same genre would have probably shut down after a few months.

Aflux
24-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Who are these people? You?

Awfy
24-01-2008, 09:46 PM
If people weren't after humour with the news, then The Onion, Daily Show with John Stewart, and other sites / TV Shows in the same genre would have probably shut down after a few months.
Perfect British examples are Have I Got News For You and Mock The Week. Which make me wet myself with laughter :P

Aflux
24-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Perfect British examples are Have I Got News For You and Mock The Week. Which make me wet myself with laughter :P
Exactly.

I'm yet to come across a portrayal of these sorts of media on the internet - thus, being a whole in the market methinks.

Jõnathan
24-01-2008, 09:50 PM
:O HOW DID I FORGET THEM?!
MTW & HIGNFY = legendary!
I don't think RYANNNNNN has heard of these...

RangeHost
24-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I like Al Murrys Happy Hour...because that includes news but just slips it in when telling jokes.

Invent
24-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Al Murray, MTW, HIGNFY are all great examples of british comedy and are just like what Adam is doing but on a different platform.

It's a great idea Adam and I wish you the best of luck with it and I can see it doing very...very well.

RYANNNNN
24-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh, so because I don't want my news made into humorless crap I automatically don't have a sense of humor, haha. (Notice the haha)

It works on tv because it's more upfront if you like, reading news that is apparently funny is a totally different idea.

Also, just because something hasn't been done, doesnt mean theres a market for it. It could be that people realise the idea is completely lacking in decency and hence why they don't persue it.

Aflux
24-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hell Ryan, if there's something that works on one platform [in this instance, television], what's to stop it working on another such as the internet. It's done in books, it's done in the papers, it's done on the radio. Oh yeah, the papers - what do people do with papers? Read them.

Of course there's a hole in the market.

Jõnathan
24-01-2008, 10:02 PM
It works on tv because it's more upfront if you like, reading news that is apparently funny is a totally different idea.
Charlie Brooker is a UK journalist who does exactly that, and he is hilarious.
He writes for the Guardian, and you can buy his books from Amazon (Dawn Of The Dumb is mint)
EDIT: I also forgot about "The Worst Week Of The Week Award, Awarded On A Week-by-Week Basis" which used to air on Radio 2, which was about stupid news stories and had Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis, along with others, taking the mickey out of them. :eusa_clapLegendary radio.

zeJosh
24-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Have I got news for you was awesome.

"Lets all remember Bin Ladens school days, playing stuck in a trench
boom, and die infidel die."

RYANNNNN
24-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Hell Ryan, if there's something that works on one platform [in this instance, television], what's to stop it working on another such as the internet. It's done in books, it's done in the papers, it's done on the radio. Oh yeah, the papers - what do people do with papers? Read them.

Of course there's a hole in the market.

Because television is totally different to the internet, with television you can see someones emotion easily, your much more involved in a way. Like how you shout at the tv some times. With the internet if you just use plain text it's totally different, it just won't work. Unless you use video, but then thats not a unique idea is it.

@hole in the market, read previous post.

Charlie Brooker is a UK journalist who does exactly that, and he is hilarious.
He writes for the Guardian, and you can buy his books from Amazon (Dawn Of The Dumb is mint)
EDIT: I also forgot about "The Worst Week Of The Week Award, Awarded On A Week-by-Week Basis" which used to air on Radio 2, which was about stupid news stories and had Steve Punt and Hugh Dennis, along with others, taking the mickey out of them. :eusa_clapLegendary radio.

Not gonna bother researching the guy, but if he does then this idea isn't unique.

By all means go ahead with the project, I guess you learn from mistakes.

Aflux
24-01-2008, 10:11 PM
So you're saying written comedy is rubbish, in technicality?

All TV shows have a certain script that have to try to keep to, HIGNFY has pre-written gags which are hilarious, as does MTW but not so much.

Invent
24-01-2008, 10:14 PM
You're saying there isn't a market for this and yet you run a site called http://www.faceplant.us/ o_o.

zeJosh
24-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Ryans just jealous, you had the idea first

Awfy
24-01-2008, 10:22 PM
The funniest thing I've ever seen, heard or read was Peter Kay's autobiography. I couldn't see him or hear him but a person's imagination is more powerful that a picture on a TV. Unless they are dead inside of course.

zeJosh
24-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Agree'd with Awfy

Daphne,
25-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I think you're wrong there.
People are after humor.
The world is becoming too serious, and a bit of humor can only do us all a bit of good. Take the chasers war on everything for example. They used real-life, not-so-funny matters, and turned them around with a different perspective.

I think News Reposters will be very interesting.:D

Mentor
25-01-2008, 03:16 AM
The sites an interesting idea, but the real thing is, do you have writers who can be funny enough? Converting news in to somthing amusing and informative is no easy task, if you can do it, it will work well. If they cant, it will just come off as annoying and fail misrably.

This project relys primary on the writing and writers sence of humor, i hope you have alot of faith in those 2 things :)

Aflux
25-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh yeah I know that, my A level English teachers say I should do something with my writing so I'm okay - It's just being selective with the other reporters.

Awfy
25-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah I know that, my A level English teachers say I should do something with my writing so I'm okay - It's just being selective with the other reporters.
I don't think you need other reporters to be honest. I prefer sites where there is just one guy who does all the posts. Makes it seem more "personal" and I find it a lot more funny when I understand who it's coming from.

Aflux
25-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I suppose there's a point in that. I'm planning to develop it over the weekend so the brainstorm will conclude that. I may contact certain individuals, that I think, would be beneficial.

L!nK..
25-01-2008, 04:04 PM
This project sounds very successful and real, goodluck Adam :D

d17c
25-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't think you need other reporters to be honest. I prefer sites where there is just one guy who does all the posts. Makes it seem more "personal" and I find it a lot more funny when I understand who it's coming from.

I agree with that, although some sites manage to have the same effect with a small team of writers.
Oh and, good luck :)
If it works, it will be great.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!