PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes

lew!
24-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Well.. I have quite a bad diet and i dont eat much healthy foods, I like potato and milk - those are like the only two things i have that are kinda healthy for me, and bread and everything, but i love crisps, chocolate bars, and probberly drink too many fizzy drinks, way to many. But im not fat at all, if anything im skinnier than most people at school, so would i be at risk of getting diabetes?

Muniflex
24-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Well.. I have quite a bad diet and i dont eat much healthy foods, I like potato and milk - those are like the only two things i have that are kinda healthy for me, and bread and everything, but i love crisps, chocolate bars, and probberly drink too many fizzy drinks, way to many. But im not fat at all, if anything im skinnier than most people at school, so would i be at risk of getting diabetes?

Yes. Yes you are in danger of diabeties im afraid.
Does diabetes run in your family?

If you carry on this diet then you may get diabeties. You must cut out alot of sugar. Just because you don't look larger doesn't mean you have a low amount of body fat.

So change your diet and eat healthy:)

Catzsy
24-01-2008, 11:17 AM
How old or you because we all go through a 'rubbish' eating phase. Quite honestly worrying about it is going to stress you out and effect your health much more than diabetes will at your age. If you are aware that you need to start eating a bit more healthy I am sure that you will in time. Chill! :D

Muniflex
24-01-2008, 12:11 PM
How old or you because we all go through a 'rubbish' eating phase. Quite honestly worrying about it is going to stress you out and effect your health much more than diabetes will at your age. If you are aware that you need to start eating a bit more healthy I am sure that you will in time. Chill! :D

It is possible to get diabeties at a young age if his diet is bad enough. I agree with not stressing out but if he that worried then look up the symptems on the internet and if you have a few then go see a doctor, but im sure you just need to eat healthier....

lew!
24-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, im always thirsty which apprently is a symtom, but i think thats it, Oh and im 14. Id love to change my diet but im just such a fussy eater i dont like anything healthy.

Oh and diabetes doesnt run in my family
(yet)

ToxicPaddy
24-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Ok firstly, your diet does not affect whether you have diabetes or not. Thats a myth. I know this as my sister is a type 1 diabetec, and theres a dietician who comes round each month and talks to us about coping with it. I asked her and its not the diet that affects it, its if your overweight or not. Although, it wouldnt hurt to cut down on the fizzy drinks and chocolate.

Muniflex
24-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok firstly, your diet does not affect whether you have diabetes or not. Thats a myth. I know this as my sister is a type 1 diabetec, and theres a dietician who comes round each month and talks to us about coping with it. I asked her and its not the diet that affects it, its if your overweight or not. Although, it wouldnt hurt to cut down on the fizzy drinks and chocolate.

Well if you're over wieght then thats caused by your diet isn't it?!?!?!

lAscend
24-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Well if you're over wieght then thats caused by your diet isn't it?!?!?!

very true it is :P

Hey pepsi your a bit like me atm i am always dehighdrated and always sleepy even if i got to bed at 10pm and waking up at 12 noon may i also point out is your urine sort of an orange colour if it is then you probs have too much sugar but then again it can be the dehighdration if you think you have diabetes see your doctor :)

Muniflex
24-01-2008, 05:44 PM
When i was about 14 i used to need to drink alot of the time so thats not highly unusual, but liek before post, see your doctor if your that worried.

lew!
24-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Yea, Im not sleepy though, Im actually wide awake. Most nights i go to bed at 3 and have to get up at 7, which im fine with.
This may sound odd but is there such thing as a fat heart? Like, when you dont look fat but your muscles may be as if they are fat & unhealthy

ToxicPaddy
24-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Yea but its the overweight that causes diabetes, not the diet. I eat loads of sweets etc but I dont have diabetes and not fat.

SKEEN
24-01-2008, 08:15 PM
If you get thirsty quiet a LOT, then theres a possibility you could have Diabetes.

ToxicPaddy
24-01-2008, 08:24 PM
If you get thirsty quiet a LOT, then theres a possibility you could have Diabetes.

My sister has diabetes and when we first suspected it was when she came home a lot absoloutly parched drinking loads of water, so yes you should get checked out by a doctor.

Malachy
24-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Just cut down on the sugar. My sister has diabetes, and if you are drinking alot and going to the loo alot like she was, I suggest you go to a doctor to get checked out.

lew!
24-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I hardly go to the loo.. But i like to drink loads.. Usually i dont even need the toilet for a day.. lol

Jodie.
24-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I have diabetes and I have type 1 but I have it because my mum had it, I have had it since I was 6 and I am now 18. Theres two different types, type 1 and type 2. You normaly get type 1 if a family member has it and you can get type 2 if you have a bad diet or over weight. if you get type 1 you have to have insulin because you dont produce any insulin at all and type 2's produce some insulin so you either take tablets or take some insulin or just control type 2 through diet. Its not as bad as type 1

Muniflex
24-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Yea but its the overweight that causes diabetes, not the diet. I eat loads of sweets etc but I dont have diabetes and not fat.

You become overweight from a bad diet!:@

And you may not look fat but you could be surprised at how much body fat you actually have. It may be surrounding your heart and lungs which obviously is very dangerous!

lew!
25-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Yea my step mum has diabetes too, But I dont really know if shes type 1 or 2 , but she does inject herself.

Three
25-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Unlucky mate (:

I'm no doctor, but you have diabetes :(

ToxicPaddy
25-01-2008, 07:19 PM
You become overweight from a bad diet!:@

And you may not look fat but you could be surprised at how much body fat you actually have. It may be surrounding your heart and lungs which obviously is very dangerous!

Ok you said about it surrounding my lungs and heart etc but now that just made me worry, i mean i know its dangerous but i really hate things like salad to eat etc, what else can I eat thats healthy?

Muniflex
26-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Ok you said about it surrounding my lungs and heart etc but now that just made me worry, i mean i know its dangerous but i really hate things like salad to eat etc, what else can I eat thats healthy?

For a start you wont be bad now, but if you carry on eating alot on junk food then you will be bad.

You can start bt cutting down on junk food like crisps and cakes etc....
Also try and do plenty of exercise.

And you should try different salads with different ingredients, you could be surprised at how nice they are, just dont look at them and think it looks horrible otherwise you definetley wont like it.
Also protien, like eggs and potatoes are good for you. So maybe try omlettes.

Crimson
26-01-2008, 09:07 PM
OMG! I hate the media >_<

You're at risk of getting Diabetes 2. This is a lesser form of Diabetes that does NOT last for your the rest of your life (Well.. usually). Diabetes 1 however, is mere luck (however research has gestured that it is Genetical).

I have Diabetes 1, no one else in my family has it. And my diet was normal, I was underweight though.. Well, very underweight.

Diabetes 2 is caused mainly from obesity because there is too much strain on the pancreas. However, if you are having alot of sugary foods and drinks you have a much MUCH higher chance of getting Diabetes 2. Just cut down on the 'junk' food.

Don't try to worry yourself too much; Main Sytoms are...

Being constantly tired, Being VERY thirsty & Going to the loo alot.

If you are worried then consult your doctor. They can do a simple blood test, and if the sugar readings are above 9.00/10.00 then you are at risk of Diabetes.. like 90%.

Hope this helped.

EDIT: Also you mentioned that you sometimes don't go to the toilet even once a day. This is EXTREMELY bad for you... Even if you need to force it out. You should go to the toilet at least three times a day.

27-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I have type 1 and have done for almost 5 years. I wasnt overweight, i didnt eat unhealthy, NOBODY in either side of my family has ever had it, but i got it. It can just happen and it doesnt have to be down to any of the stereotypical ideas people have. Ofcourse thats not an excuse to go and binge on mcdonalds and drink 5 bottles of coke a day becuase thats certainly not going to make anthing better. But if you think you are suffering from some symtoms my best suggestion is for you to either go to the pharmacy and get the free check done, or go to your doctor and find out more. The longer you leave it, the more dangerous it can be for you in later life.

Muniflex
27-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I have type 1 and have done for almost 5 years. I wasnt overweight, i didnt eat unhealthy, NOBODY in either side of my family has ever had it, but i got it. It can just happen and it doesnt have to be down to any of the stereotypical ideas people have. Ofcourse thats not an excuse to go and binge on mcdonalds and drink 5 bottles of coke a day becuase thats certainly not going to make anthing better. But if you think you are suffering from some symtoms my best suggestion is for you to either go to the pharmacy and get the free check done, or go to your doctor and find out more. The longer you leave it, the more dangerous it can be for you in later life.

I understand that you were perfectly healthy before but bad diets can lead to diabeties..... Not always but can.......

27-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I understand that you were perfectly healthy before but bad diets can lead to diabeties..... Not always but can.......

i know they can, but my point was that it can affect anyone

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!