PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations.

Caleb
24-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I am currently re-writing my CV, and I need some people, who I may have done work for / helped in the past, to write me a short paragraph about my work/services as a coder and a host.

EXAMPLE of one:

I was very impressed with Caleb Mingle's high quality of coding, giving me above expectations on the work I paid for. The hosting also supplied has proven to work greatly with my site, and I am very well pleased with what I paid for. - Josh Evans

Thanks,
Caleb :)

zeJosh
24-01-2008, 10:48 PM
w00t. I wrote that xD!

Aflux
24-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Testimonials shouldn't be in a CV, it's all about you. Not what others think about you.

Caleb
24-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Ahem

A résumé, also known as a curriculum vitæ (CV), is a document containing a summary or listing of relevant job experience and education, usually for the purpose of obtaining an interview when seeking employment. Often the résumé or CV is the first item that a potential employer encounters regarding the job seeker, and therefore a large amount of importance is often ascribed to it.

In a resume, references are important ;)

24-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Testimonials shouldn't be in a CV, it's all about you. Not what others think about you.

Actually you're meant to get testimonials from to people and get them to back up what you've written basically

You're also meant to provide an adress & a contact number ;)

Aflux
24-01-2008, 11:11 PM
It's called a reference, not a testimonial.

There is a difference.

Mentor
24-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Ahem

In a resume, references are important ;)

A reference is comprised of details of someone an employer can contact at there digression about previous work you've done.

Testimonial !== reference

Caleb
24-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually you're meant to get testimonials from to people and get them to back up what you've written basically

You're also meant to provide an adress & a contact number ;)

I have posted an address and contact number upon request.

It's called a reference, not a testimonial.

There is a difference.

There is a difference, a reference is someone they can contact to get more information, although in my past experience I have seen that many employers do find it "nice" to include some testimonials, just to show what people think about him/her.

A reference is comprised of details of someone an employer can contact at there digression about previous work you've done.

Testimonial !== reference

Sorry about that, confusing myself for a moment, posted that above ^^, I knew what a reference was.

kk.
24-01-2008, 11:16 PM
well actually, a reference is from a job and about pretty much what you did and how well you did it.

prett ymuch what a testimonial is. so i would say if you ahve a section on your CV about websites/development, you can put what sort of things you did and responses to your work

Aflux
24-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I can put this in my CV then:

Best worker I've ever had. Did everything. Got everything done.

Then your employer will look at it and think, who the hell is Ben Smith...

Caleb
24-01-2008, 11:18 PM
well actually, a reference is from a job and about pretty much what you did and how well you did it.

prett ymuch what a testimonial is. so i would say if you ahve a section on your CV about websites/development, you can put what sort of things you did and responses to your work
On my CV, I have a section for both.

I can put this in my CV then:

Then your employer will look at it and think, who the hell is Ben Smith...

It doesn't matter, he doesn't care who Ben Smith is, but what he says its just that someone found your work quite decent, and you provided them with quality work.

kk.
24-01-2008, 11:21 PM
give them a contact such as a reliable source eg, a website/e-mail address

if you say, well you can just make them up, well you can jsut make jobs up tbh

Aflux
24-01-2008, 11:47 PM
On my CV, I have a section for both.

It doesn't matter, he doesn't care who Ben Smith is, but what he says its just that someone found your work quite decent, and you provided them with quality work.
Ben Smith could be anyone though, you could've made him up.

That's why they ask for references, not testimonials.

Caleb
24-01-2008, 11:51 PM
I have posted both, testimonials are just "addons" to it, just a few plusses.

Aflux
25-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Pluses that take up space on your CV. A load of irrelevant babble.

What would be good if you did one whole page on your personal site, explaining what you do and link the site, put testimonials on the site - the best way methinks.

Caleb
25-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Pluses that take up space on your CV. A load of irrelevant babble.

What would be good if you did one whole page on your personal site, explaining what you do and link the site, put testimonials on the site - the best way methinks.
My CV is an online CV, with a navigation that loads the specific parts of the CV into the DIV (AJAX)

Aflux
25-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Hmm, I'm undecided in that case then, whether testimonials are wise.

Caleb
25-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Doesn't take up that much space, if someone doesn't want to look at it, do not click on the tab :P

Cixso
25-01-2008, 12:58 AM
http://habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=447631

:)

Awfy
25-01-2008, 10:04 AM
These recommendations are meant to be people they can contact via phone. It's things like past employers or higher management in any companies you worked for. So I don't think an employer would care about people giving you quotes about your work.

If you have worked previous then get in touch with them for a recommendation as they are the ones that matter. If you haven't been in a job before just leave them blank. Either way it doesn't affect your chances as long as you have the qualifications and abilities.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!