PDA

View Full Version : Devode - money competition..?

Invent
25-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi,

My new web development forum Devode.net is hopefully soon going to offer a competition where you can win some real life cash :)

We are thinking of 2 ways to hold the competition and I would like to get your views on what you think is the best way :)

The first way we are thinking about holding the competition is by doing a promotion/deal with the band Elliot Minor. We are currently talking to them about doing a promotional event where the users of our Forum can buy the single (99p) and receive a unique code. They then enter this code on the Forum for a chance to win £100.

The second option which we are thinking about is by asking a question and Forum Members have to PM us the answer. We would then pick a random winner and they would win £60.

Which option do you prefer? (I know which one I prefer :P)

Thanks,
Simon

Puma
25-01-2008, 05:06 PM
i think the second way ;]

Andys
25-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I like the first way tbh.
Very original imo.

But do you really think they would let you do that?

Invent
25-01-2008, 05:10 PM
But do you really think they would let you do that?

I've messaged alex about it and he likes the idea as he thinks it will help them get in the top 10 even more.

It's not going to be a major deal, they will just allow us to link up our site to their purchase page.

Mentor
25-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Id go the second way with more public answers + maybe some sort of skill element rather than a random question. Somthing like a drawing competition, short story, caption competion or even a coding comp going on the nature of the site. That way it gives people somthing to look at and gets people to get a bit more involved in order to enter.

Invent
25-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I like the idea of a graphics/drawing competition or something along those lines as I guess it relates more to the site than just us asking a question.

MrCraig
25-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Um. How are you going to get elliot minor to agree to this :S?

EDIT: Simon knows Alex :o
Swweeet.

Invent
25-01-2008, 05:39 PM
As I've said, i've messaged the band as they like the simple idea of it and so they are passing it on to their management (repo).

Turnip
25-01-2008, 05:53 PM
1st idea sounds good.
I voted for it :).

DarrenToogood
25-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I would support the first option. Everyone wins :)

lolwut
25-01-2008, 09:19 PM
The first one, if you get the band to actually help you out.
Else the second one.

MrPinkPanther
25-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Make a competition where everyone has to create an advert for Devode and publish them on youtube, the youtube ad that gets the most views in a month wins.

MrCraig
25-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I like myth's idea tbh.

Mentor
25-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Make a competition where everyone has to create an advert for Devode and publish them on youtube, the youtube ad that gets the most views in a month wins.

I duno, that requires quite alot of investment time wize to do. I don't really think the forums got enough of a member bace to garentee pulling any enterys "/
Somthing easier to take part in would probably be more attractive "/

[Oli]
26-01-2008, 03:01 PM
First option here ;)

MrPinkPanther
26-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Id definatly make a youtube ad, it could be quite fun.

loserWILL
26-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I like the first option, as it gives users more of a chance.

Caleb
26-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi,

My new web development forum Devode.net is hopefully soon going to offer a competition where you can win some real life cash :)

We are thinking of 2 ways to hold the competition and I would like to get your views on what you think is the best way :)

The first way we are thinking about holding the competition is by doing a promotion/deal with the band Elliot Minor. We are currently talking to them about doing a promotional event where the users of our Forum can buy the single (99p) and receive a unique code. They then enter this code on the Forum for a chance to win £100.

The second option which we are thinking about is by asking a question and Forum Members have to PM us the answer. We would then pick a random winner and they would win £60.

Which option do you prefer? (I know which one I prefer :P)

Thanks,
Simon
I think you should devise a competition system, that lets each user only enter once, and then at the end of a time period, you can randomly select a entry.

Shouldn't be hard to integrate with vB?

Forge
26-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I think the second option (To start)

As the forums new, some members may not pay as they wont trust the forum fully (which you cant really blame them for)
Maybe use the first idea in a few months?

Invent
26-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I think (even though more people prefer option 1) I'm going to do option 2 as it will take some time to set up the deal and I want to prefferably hold the competition next week and I think a free entry to the competition will make more people enter.

Thanks if you've voted though! :)

today
26-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Make them make a graphic image which has a certain image in (maybe EM logo?) And who ever best wins?

MrPinkPanther
26-01-2008, 06:15 PM
The second option is uninspired, it would get a few people to join up but they will sign up pm you then leave. Also most of the people on hbxf are registered on there anyway and the same people will be entering the comp. Do my 'youtube hit' idea. People can use any form they want, live action, stop frame, animation etc, It could be quite entertaining.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!