PDA

View Full Version : How do you..

lew!
30-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Right, its been bugging me for ages lol..
How do you explain to a blind man what colours are?

Abbie.
30-01-2008, 04:50 PM
OMGG

i just sat and thought about that..

u cant?

Charlie
30-01-2008, 04:52 PM
You simply couldn't, because to describe an object you'd say "It was blue" or whatever, you can't say "Oh, it's a bit of this and a bit of that" because you can't describe colour with using another colour. Unless you said it was pale, light, dark, deep and stuff.

Ostinato
30-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Well they know what black is like?:S lol I dno haha

PaulMacC
30-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Eeeeeek, +rep to who-ever answers.

Corporal
30-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Well they know what black is like?:S lol I dno haha
What if bind people see blue and not black?
I mean they couldnt describe what its like could they?

Its sorta like trying to think of a new colour

Abbie.
30-01-2008, 05:32 PM
red could be something hot
blue could be an icecube
white could be cotton wool

if u get them to feel it

idk..

depends if they were blind all their life or not

Mr.Sam
30-01-2008, 05:33 PM
if they are blind in one eye they could...
What if bind people see blue and not black?
I mean they couldnt describe what its like could they?

Its sorta like trying to think of a new colour

Virgin Mary
30-01-2008, 05:39 PM
red could be something hot
blue could be an icecube
white could be cotton wool

if u get them to feel it

idk..

depends if they were blind all their life or not
I was gonna say that, I didn't think anyone else would've seen mask

DaveTaylor
30-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Like abbie said:
love is pink
etc

Technologic
30-01-2008, 06:00 PM
You can't explain it to them. It's the same with me, i'm red/green colourblind so i have no perception at all of what those two colours might be like. It's like trying to explain all the colours that flys see (they see hundreds of more clours than we do)

Say a person had been blind or colourblind and they suddenly get perfect vision they will still not be able to see any of these colours. They have no perception of these things and so they're brain would not recognise them. Only people who have gone blind and through special techniques are able to see again.

Abbie.
30-01-2008, 06:07 PM
You can't explain it to them. It's the same with me, i'm red/green colourblind so i have no perception at all of what those two colours might be like. It's like trying to explain all the colours that flys see (they see hundreds of more clours than we do)

Say a person had been blind or colourblind and they suddenly get perfect vision they will still not be able to see any of these colours. They have no perception of these things and so they're brain would not recognise them. Only people who have gone blind and through special techniques are able to see again.

so instead of red and green, what do u see?
and if i described red as 'hot' would u understand?

lew!
30-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Lmao, its weird init, its so hard.
or how do you explain sound to a deaf person.. lol
its so buggin lmao

Corporal
30-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Lmao, its weird init, its so hard.
or how do you explain sound to a deaf person.. lol
its so buggin lmao
I imagine you would need to write it down.

lew!
30-01-2008, 07:03 PM
What would you write down?

Metric.
30-01-2008, 07:08 PM
My friend asked a blind guy at school and he said he liked burnt umber.

Virgin Mary
30-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Isn't there a theory that no one sees the exact same colours and we only know which colour is which because we've been taught it since forever? That would make sense seeing as colour is nothing more than what we're told it is, an arbitrary noun. You couldn't explain colour using concepts like heat, we only know those because we know the association and make it automatically. If you've never seen the colour red you wouldn't be able to associate it with heat.

Technologic
30-01-2008, 07:41 PM
so instead of red and green, what do u see?
and if i described red as 'hot' would u understand?
Well, people think i just see black and white but that's not true. My brain 'simulates' a colour and i see some colour there but i just don't know what.

Also, if i know something is red i will remeber it is red for basically the rest of my life ad same with green.

Very odd, so imagine. I see grass, i know it's green so i see it as my perception of green forever. However, i see something that is green but i don't know it's green so it changes colour every time i look at it until somebody tells me what colour it actually is.

Tbh you have to be colourblind to undertshand it

Hitman
30-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Isn't there a theory that no one sees the exact same colours and we only know which colour is which because we've been taught it since forever? That would make sense seeing as colour is nothing more than what we're told it is, an arbitrary noun. You couldn't explain colour using concepts like heat, we only know those because we know the association and make it automatically. If you've never seen the colour red you wouldn't be able to associate it with heat.I was just about to post something similar, if somebody has never seen before they'll think hot as a painful thing... eg, they touch hot water... but they won't know fire is red, which you'd associate to hot... they wouldn't.

So it's impossible, I'd say. :(

Corporal
30-01-2008, 07:43 PM
What would you write down?
There deaf, they cant hear you:P

lew!
30-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Ohh i understand.. Lol
So if thought ur pillow was blue, then you would beleive that forever, until somone said it was green, you would then see it as green?
So you beleive the colour until somone tells you what it is.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!