PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars PvP

Spectate
02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I've not played this game yet but my impression is that it's pretty much based around PvP.

Is this case? And if so is the PvP THAT good? It seems nice that it doesn't take too long to reach the max level too.

Hypertext
02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I belive it is, my friend plays it and is constantly on about PvP in it.

SKEEN
03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Tbh I personally think WoW is better. You have fun PvP battlegrounds, you can constantly keep finding better gear. You can get mounts without having any expansion packs, there is basically two sides Horde and Alliance so you can always raid each others towns and stuff so the game never gets boring.

And if you're thinking of getting WoW join Kilrogg EU :).

Spectate
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Tbh I personally think WoW is better. You have fun PvP battlegrounds, you can constantly keep finding better gear. You can get mounts without having any expansion packs, there is basically two sides Horde and Alliance so you can always raid each others towns and stuff so the game never gets boring.

And if you're thinking of getting WoW join Kilrogg EU :).

I'm coming off the back of 2 years of WoW. :P I really don't want to play a game that consumes so much time again. I'm not denying it's a great game, it's just too addictive and endless.

Jinc
03-02-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm a Guild Wars player of around 2 years.

It definately is not based mostly around PvP. The PvP is very well structured, and its relatively easy for new-comers to get involved.
The PvE environment is huge.. and there are thousands of people who play the game daily and never PvP. Remember there are 3 Games and 1 Expansion in the Guild Wars world.. so if PvP isn't your thing there's still a lot to play.

If you want any more info just message me.

Spectate
03-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm a Guild Wars player of around 2 years.

It definately is not based mostly around PvP. The PvP is very well structured, and its relatively easy for new-comers to get involved.
The PvE environment is huge.. and there are thousands of people who play the game daily and never PvP. Remember there are 3 Games and 1 Expansion in the Guild Wars world.. so if PvP isn't your thing there's still a lot to play.

If you want any more info just message me.

Thanks for the information. I did expect there to be a decent amount of PvE, I just hope there isn't a real pressure to PvE a lot in order to advance like there is in WoW.

Jinc
03-02-2008, 10:11 AM
As with any PvE/PvP hybrid, some PvE is neccessary to get you up to scratch with game mechanics etc.. and first time round you'll probably find it fun. Each game has a storyline, and you can follow that by doing missions which start at an outpost and require certain objectives to be completed, and quests, which can be picked up and towns and outposts. Not all quests have to be completed, but some, called primary quests, will lead you to the mission outposts.

You can play the game without doing any PvE whatsoever. When you choose to create a character, you can make a PvP only character which only has access to the Battle Isles where the PvP events (Heroes Ascent, Hero Battles, Guild v Guild etc) are found. This PvP only character starts at level 20, and has access to all the skills you have unlocked for that profession on your account. Remember, PvE characters can still PvP.. but it's harder to find them the perfect gear and buy maxed armour which you'll need to survive there.

Unlocking is one of the main reasons for doing PvE before you PvP. Apart from a few, and I mean just a few, skills which are already on your account, you will need to unlock skills to be able to use them on a PvE or PvP character. In PvE, you can buy skills or recieve them as quest rewards. Both of these methods unlock them for use on a PvP character, and add them to your PvE character's personal skill list. Weapon upgrades also have to be unlocked. When you find a rare unidentified weapon, and indentify it with a kit, you will unlock any upgrades that are present.

Both skills and upgrades can be unlocked in the Battle Isles with faction. Faction is earned simply by making kills and winning matches in PvP.

Quite a lot of detail there, but I think it'll help you. :P

Spectate
03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
As with any PvE/PvP hybrid, some PvE is neccessary to get you up to scratch with game mechanics etc.. and first time round you'll probably find it fun. Each game has a storyline, and you can follow that by doing missions which start at an outpost and require certain objectives to be completed, and quests, which can be picked up and towns and outposts. Not all quests have to be completed, but some, called primary quests, will lead you to the mission outposts.

You can play the game without doing any PvE whatsoever. When you choose to create a character, you can make a PvP only character which only has access to the Battle Isles where the PvP events (Heroes Ascent, Hero Battles, Guild v Guild etc) are found. This PvP only character starts at level 20, and has access to all the skills you have unlocked for that profession on your account. Remember, PvE characters can still PvP.. but it's harder to find them the perfect gear and buy maxed armour which you'll need to survive there.

Unlocking is one of the main reasons for doing PvE before you PvP. Apart from a few, and I mean just a few, skills which are already on your account, you will need to unlock skills to be able to use them on a PvE or PvP character. In PvE, you can buy skills or recieve them as quest rewards. Both of these methods unlock them for use on a PvP character, and add them to your PvE character's personal skill list. Weapon upgrades also have to be unlocked. When you find a rare unidentified weapon, and indentify it with a kit, you will unlock any upgrades that are present.

Both skills and upgrades can be unlocked in the Battle Isles with faction. Faction is earned simply by making kills and winning matches in PvP.

Quite a lot of detail there, but I think it'll help you. :P

Thanks for that. I think I kind of understand the basics now. :P

Just one question. What's it like in the main cities and what stage is RP at? Do guilds tend to meet up and sit in a bar having a drink or is it pretty much a battle-orientated game.

Jinc
03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Well firstly, there arn't any bars in Guild Wars :P But each Guild has a Guild Hall, where they will meet up to mess around and chat. The main cities are usually filled with people trading items. I would say PvE orientated Guilds would usually meet up to do challenge missions, and try to tackle some of the elite mission areas at the end of each campaign. It really depends on the Guild you're in. PvP Guilds will always be organising PvP parties to participate in Battle Isle events. Remember you can always communicate with your 'Guildies' in Guild chat.

Overall, I would say most PvE Guilds are based around exploring and questing, and most PvP Guilds are based around participating in PvP battles. That's not to say that you won't find a Guild more into the RP side of things.. it really depends on who you meet.

Spectate
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Well firstly, there arn't any bars in Guild Wars :P But each Guild has a Guild Hall, where they will meet up to mess around and chat. The main cities are usually filled with people trading items. I would say PvE orientated Guilds would usually meet up to do challenge missions, and try to tackle some of the elite mission areas at the end of each campaign. It really depends on the Guild you're in. PvP Guilds will always be organising PvP parties to participate in Battle Isle events. Remember you can always communicate with your 'Guildies' in Guild chat.

Overall, I would say most PvE Guilds are based around exploring and questing, and most PvP Guilds are based around participating in PvP battles. That's not to say that you won't find a Guild more into the RP side of things.. it really depends on who you meet.

Ah ok then. It sounds pretty good so I might give it a go. I really DO NOT want to get addicted to a game again though.

SKEEN
03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
In my eyes Guildwars sucks. Theres only a cap of level 20 which you can get in like a day. Hardly any fun there. And WoW's next expansion are releasing a Level 80 cap so all new instances, raids & armour :D.

Possibly new heroic dungeos, + a new race and skill.

Mr.Sam
06-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Because there is a level 20 cap doesn't make it crap. Guild wars is skill orientated not grind orientated, sure level 20 is easy to achieve, but then you have elite areas to complete, you have about 250 skills per profession to learn (10 professions total) weapons to upgrade, pvp to compete in like the annual $100,000 tournament.

the good thing about guild wars is that you do not have to grind at all. max level weapons and armour have cheap alternatives and expensive alternatives. the more you pay the rarer and better looking the item is but if you don't have time to play a lot (most players are 20+ so have full time jobs, children etc) you can use the cheaper alternatives making the game a lot more skill based than WoW's grind fest.

on top of that there are 3 campaigns and one add on which will occupy your time easily, as there are elite areas and hard mode in each of these.

and finally guild wars 2 beta starts in the 3rd quarter of this year :)

In my eyes Guildwars sucks. Theres only a cap of level 20 which you can get in like a day. Hardly any fun there. And WoW's next expansion are releasing a Level 80 cap so all new instances, raids & armour :D.

Possibly new heroic dungeos, + a new race and skill.

@op, heres a link to the official wiki if you have any more questions, or feel free to pm me I should be able to answer most (player of 29 months)
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

Yes I know I bumped the thread, but do you seriously expect me to make a new thread just for a reply to another post?

mr.parasols
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Just thought I'd give my share,
Been playing around 20 months now since I purchased Prophecies.

I have Prophecies, Nightfall and Factions.
A) Graphics are extremely good compared to any other game of its type.
B) PVP Is the best of its type 550 skills per profession (550x10=5500)
thats 1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100 or 1100^8 are the possibilities which = 2143588810000000000000000 skill sets. The possibilites are endless, but its not grinding thats the key its having actual skill that shows through. You have to know what works well, rather than just having a skill because your level 80. Hence pvp being 20+ only. Thats my pitch! Thanks.

(ingame name : Tringit)

TehJoshy
13-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm coming off the back of 2 years of WoW. :P I really don't want to play a game that consumes so much time again. I'm not denying it's a great game, it's just too addictive and endless.
A Game is only addictive if you make it :).
thats my view anyway. i've been playing wow for nearly 3 years and im still incontrol of my playtime and not fixed to the screen xD!

But i'd agree wow is much better having played them both in the PvP Areas.

Mr.Sam
14-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I haven't seen you online for ages :(

also take into account you can only use two professions at a time so the combinations would be lower :)

@joshie the guild wars pvp is very good if your skilled an am in a decent guild, I believe WoW even went to copy guild war's pvp elements.

Just thought I'd give my share,
Been playing around 20 months now since I purchased Prophecies.

I have Prophecies, Nightfall and Factions.
A) Graphics are extremely good compared to any other game of its type.
B) PVP Is the best of its type 550 skills per profession (550x10=5500)
thats 1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100x1100 or 1100^8 are the possibilities which = 2143588810000000000000000 skill sets. The possibilites are endless, but its not grinding thats the key its having actual skill that shows through. You have to know what works well, rather than just having a skill because your level 80. Hence pvp being 20+ only. Thats my pitch! Thanks.

(ingame name : Tringit)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!