PDA

View Full Version : The Lowdown On Bullying!

:Haley
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Have you ever been bullied or are still being bullied? - Are you the VICTIM? If the answer is YES then read on as this is the article for YOU!

Bullying can be one of the most serious problems you can face. It can ruin your confidence, happiness and even your life. Half the young people of school age in the UK have been affected at some point. Bullying can and must be stopped. If you need advice on how to beat the bullies then read on.

What is bullying?
Bullying normally takes one of these forms:
Physical: Punching, kicking and hair-pulling are examples of this.
Verbal:The victim is teased, sworn at or called names.
Social: A person is deliberately left out of things or ignored.
Some people may be abused in one of these ways whereas other might suffer a combination of two or maybe even three forms at once. Each type can potentially cause just as much harm as the others.

Take Action
1. Start by talking to an adult you trust - like your mum, nan or a teacher and explain to them what's happening. This is the most important step because getting it out in the open makes you feel loads better. You could ask your older brother or sister or ask a mature, sensible friend to come with you for support when you speak to an adult.

2. Now discuss what action you want to take. Do you want your teacher to confront them or to wait and catch them in the act of bullying? In extreme cases you may ask to move class but the decision is yours. No-one will do anything unless you say so. When you feel strong enough, do what you feel most comftable about.

3. Keep reminding yourself that you are not alone. There are lots of people who can help you.

4. Your school is responsible for sorting out bullying problems, but they can't do anything unless they know what's happening.

Whilst your problem is being sorted out take a few of these tips!

When travelling to and from school on the bus, sit close to the driver or another adult.
If you walk to school, vary your route, but stick to streets where there are pleanty of people.
Stand up for youself - most bullies are cowards and only pick on people they think they'll scare.
Try ignoring them. If you refuse to get wound up, they get bored and leave you alone.
Avoid lashing out - violence could get you into trouble.
If someone gets in your face calmly stand your ground. Say ''I'm sorry your having a bad day but please don't take it out on me,'' before walking around the bully.
Keep your belongings with you or in a secure locker at all times.
Don't use your mobile where the bullies can see it.
Try not to let a bully see your upset.
Join a marital arts or self defence class. This will give you confidence and is a great way of making friends away from school. Your local libary will have details.

Please take note of this article as it will help you :eusa_ange

I wrote this article as i thought it would be appropriate article to write and i also think it will help alot of people.

HELPLINES - Call these numbers or click on these websites if you need more help and advice on bullying

Childline - 0800 1111
www.bullying.co.uk
www.kidscape.org.uk
www.need2know.co.uk
The Samaritans - 08457 909090
Girl World by Theresa Cheung (Hodder, £5.99) is a cool book with loads of tips on dealing with bullying.

Syd
07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Yes, do speak up if you're having trouble at school. It's the only way it can stop.

Steven
07-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Good article, I don't get bullied at school, but I do at my area because I'm the new one >_> but erm... I don't go outside so it's alright XD

Miles
07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I suggest talking to a friend instead of a parent or teacher. A friend can relate to the problem more than an adult could. I also don't suggest having a teacher or parent talk to the bully - it makes you seem even more vulnerable. I think you should find ways to solve the conflict between yourself and the bully. The only situation when you should get help from someone else is when it's turning into physical bullying.

I used to get bullied a lot at the beginning of Middle School. Kids would say random things to annoy me, and I would just ignore them. But then my whole "independence" kicked in, and I learned to stick up for myself. Bullies are idiots. You can easily prove them wrong. All it takes is standing up for yourself once - they'll back off.

Blader_Boy
08-06-2005, 02:18 AM
All it takes is standing up for yourself once - they'll back off.

Thats the truth all this stuff about telling an adult, teacher, parent whatever does not work. I have seen alot of kids bullied over my time at school and if they tell teachers things got alot worse for them.

If you are being bullied stand up for yourself, dont let them walk all over you have some self respect.

If it is physical, go to the police and press charges. I guarantee no 13 year old kid will want a criminal record for assault/gbh.

alexxxxx
08-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeh Our school is filled with bullies/(proper hard)chavs - WHY ARN'T THEY EXPELLED!

Tomoten
08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
If someone Bullyed me i'd just kick there *** from up town to down town i used to get bully and i just beat them up and threw him into the bathrooms sure people might think i went over the edge but Telling a Teacher or anything aint gonna solve it they just call u Snitch and teachers pet and if u tell ur parents they run into school i meen people have some dignatee if someone bullys u fight em if you don't win they won't bully you again sorry if i'm harsh but thats the only way the rest don't work at all if you tell a friend they jump in and then bully gets his friends to gang up on u on ur own so fight back do Judo or summot or get beat up ethier way solves it i meen i'm like 6ft and im 14 if someone starts on me i ram there head into the pavement sure people if u wanna call me a bully go ahead but he got what he wanted

cocaine
08-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Yes, when I was in year 7, I got bullied. It was verbal bullying.

hedgeog325
09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Good article :D

FrozenWhisper
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
I was bullied because I am very small for my age.Well maybe not very. It was only words. Sopmetime the boys still make up word to hurt me.But it does really hurt that much. I just ignore them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!