PDA

View Full Version : decade old corpse found in flat

Scouse
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
The body of a man believed to have been dead for nearly 10 years has been found in a flat which was still being lived in by a council tenant.

The corpse - the occupier's former lodger - was discovered by local authority workers in Bristol on a lounge sofa after neighbours reported a foul smell.
His identity has not been released but police said he is believed to be in his 70s. Bristol Coroner's Court confirmed that an inquest will open later today.
The tenant who remained living in the property was initially arrested but police are no longer treating the death as suspicious.
It is believed the man, who is also in his 70s, failed to report the death because he suffers from severe mental health problems.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: "We're investigating the death of a man in his 70s. The body was discovered by council employees on January 30.
"It's important to stress we did arrest a man in connection with the incident but we're no longer treating the death as suspicious."
Bristol City Council has launched an internal inquiry to establish how the corpse went unnoticed for so long.
A spokesman said it is believed that the body was there for at least eight years.
He added: "We were alerted to the body after we received reports of a smell.
"We are shocked and concerned by this discovery and are carrying out an urgent internal review of the circumstances of the tenant.
"A police investigation is ongoing, and it would be inappropriate to comment further while this is taking place.

ooer must of been very smelly.

Greco!!
09-02-2008, 12:04 AM
lovely lol
where about in the flat was the body :S

Scouse
09-02-2008, 12:05 AM
on the couch lol

jesus
09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
i heard about this a while back, its disgraceful :|

Brody
09-02-2008, 12:28 AM
man that is wierd stuff its not as if its unnoticeable on the couch lol even tho the guy has problems still someone should of helped him more then

superfly-dan
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Surely to Christ people would have noticed a smell well before the body had been lying there for 10 years?

Abbie.
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
what about bills and stuff ;s

pft thats actually disgraceful. poor man

lew!
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
i just wanna find out how he killed him lmao.
Probs the lego flats by me, looked like them on the news.

Fifteen
09-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah seen it on the news, thats actully sick :[
and it happened in Bristol

tdi
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I heard about a man who was found almost 10 years after he died in his flat. It was awful that he would have nobody that careed for him enough to notice. :(

Minstrels
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I feel sorry for the old man living there, he would have thought that bloke was still alive and would have sat there talking, eating, drinking, watching TV with him etc for 10 years and then finds out one day he's been living with a dead man.

Mr.Sam
09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
No, he knew he was dead.
He said he didn't report the death because he hadn't told the council the guy was living there, he then put it under the sofa and jsut forgot about it - when some council guys came to clean the flat because the smell had been complained about, he let them in only if they didn't look under the sofa.

he then just actually forgot about the corpse.

I feel sorry for the old man living there, he would have thought that bloke was still alive and would have sat there talking, eating, drinking, watching TV with him etc for 10 years and then finds out one day he's been living with a dead man.

Moh
09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
So he forgot there was a dead guy under his sofa?

Why didn't he just say he was staying over for the night and died :S

Mr.Sam
09-02-2008, 11:04 PM
the guys old and just forgot about it being under the sofa.

and I don't know
So he forgot there was a dead guy under his sofa?

Why didn't he just say he was staying over for the night and died :S

Oleh
09-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Damn thats some scary stuff id move out if i could smell that

lew!
10-02-2008, 07:28 PM
he had mental health issues and it was his lodger..

jesus
10-02-2008, 07:34 PM
i read in the paper that he took his drinking buddy home and he died so he just put him under the sofa so the council didnt find out that he had a lodger.

he just 'forgot' about it after that apparently

Metric.
13-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Something similar happened like that in the states. An elderly lady died, so obviously she stopped making her mortgage payments, so her house went into foreclosure, and something like 2 or 3 years later somebody bought the house.. Went inside and there was the mummified lady sitting on the couch.

Dan2nd
13-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I read this in the paper I'm not sure how the man could have forgotten unless he has some form of alzheimer's it's quite sad really no one noticed this old man was dead for 10 years.

In the paper I read it said he didn't tell anyone because he was scared of losing the extra benifits he got for the man living in his home or something..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!