PDA

View Full Version : Career in gaming?

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
So yea i dno if this is right forum or not

Nyways

i was wondering do any of you know what qualifications you need to be games designer or something around gaming

cbb to google it.

also do any of you think about a career in gaming?

Jericho
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Depends which part of game developing you want to get into, eg. If you wanna do stuff like character development in a game like CoD, you'd need to be able to do research on how people looked in the times of when they were in the war, and be able to use graphic programs obv.

Trust me, its worth googling, not many people on this forum will know about getting into the gaming industry,

Neil
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
You need to take some sort of college course, you'll have to look though because not a huge amount of colleges actually do it, then you have to go off to study in uni for like 2-4 years or something

You need good knowlege of web languages (HTML, PHP etc.) you need to know how to use the most common design tools used for games

It's not an easy path to go down, an easier way would be to make a few flash games, move onto an MMOTBG (Online text games) then see about getting onto the developement team of a proper game but I'd just go to college as it's easier lol

There is alot of different areas when it comes to game developement so it depends what you're after

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Lol cheers +rep if i can for both

well im doing graphics atm cause im vgood

would u say cadcam is better?

Neil
09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Lol cheers +rep if i can for both

well im doing graphics atm cause im vgood

would u say cadcam is better?

I'm not hugely familiar with the things game developers use but I know for whiteboxing Lionhead games use SketchUp and Motonbuilder for animation, the graphics department that "fills in" the detail probably used something like that CAD/CAM but I'm not really sure what that is :P

mangle
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
You need to know how to code LEA or something like that :)

I'm aiming for a career in gaming journalism which is pretty decent.

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Ah ok cheers

btw neil i need to spread first :(

I got some info on careers advice

Neil
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
You need to know how to code LEA or something like that :)

I'm aiming for a career in gaming journalism which is pretty decent.

*LUA xD Yea you need to know that because I think just about every game now uses it lol

mangle
09-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Thats it!!

I was trying to see info on AC2 and Ubisoft wanted a LUA programmer soyh :)

If you work FOR Xbox you get a pretty good ride I think. At the launch of the 360 they did some party and EVERYONE who went got a console and launch games.

Mr.Sam
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Universitys do games technology, You need 260+ UCAS points, and need experience with art and design and computers.

I have a conditional for the games technology course.. :)

So yea i dno if this is right forum or not

Nyways

i was wondering do any of you know what qualifications you need to be games designer or something around gaming

cbb to google it.

also do any of you think about a career in gaming?

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
LOL ;)

well i think at city college near me there is a Btech

and mangle about the journalism that seems like a good idea 2 ;)

http://www.ccb.ac.uk/courses/fulltime/BTEC_National_Awards_in_Games_Development_and_Inte ractive_Media_08_09__2531.html

http://www.ccb.ac.uk/courses/fulltime/BTEC_National_Certificate_in_Games_Development_08_ 09__2533.html

thats just 1 college near me nyway!

Neil
09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
and mangle about the journalism that seems like a good idea 2 ;)

I'm gonna be a video producer so I'll be making the trailers for these games eh ;) lol
Gonna take a shot at making my own GTA4 trailer next week, just need to download some clips xD

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
nice well im taking media studies aswell ;)

so i can always try dat

mangle
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
That sounds pretty cool Neil!

I would love to be a journalist for like Play or X360 but they're all better than me atm and most 15 year olds want to do it LOL

Try erm conexions or something like that. Thats where I found out about journalism as a serious career. On the other hand , a PR manager would be fun. Months before a game comes out i'd like to just drop hints and press releases and upload stuff on sites about the game.

Fez
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I'd like to do something that involves 'prose' in gaming. Journalism I might consider.

mangle
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Being a writer for a game wouldn't be bad. I can write some witty stuff at times :)

Neil
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm not gonna focus my career around gaming, I'm working on a few projects at the moment, so far all of them are parkour based, going to be making an FPS short movie soon, making a video advertising a certain product, probably powerade or something like that and then game trailers xD

Fez
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Being a writer for a game wouldn't be bad. I can write some witty stuff at times :)
I did a game review for my English assessment back in Year 7, got a high grade for it aswell.

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I did a game review for my English assessment back in Year 7, got a high grade for it aswell.
lol

what game was dat?

hmm whats pay like for journalist 1

mangle
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I did something like that in year 8. Was told it was worthy of a grade C at GCSE level aha.

Edit - Editors get around 30k i think.

Fez
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I think it was Geometry Wars Retro Evolved

@ Mangle

I think you got a level 7 national curriculam level? I just got one of those for my monster writing, translates to a predicted Grade C.

Neil
09-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I think it was Geometry Wars Retro Evolved

I have that on xbox 360 arcade xD it's good lol

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Lol ;)

Well i sortta made a movie bout 360 games on youtube ages ago.

i dont even know why

not that good tbh (ouch at pgr4 bit)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IjPaT7BwSIU

thats it i think

Neil
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Lol ;)

Well i sortta made a movie bout 360 games on youtube ages ago.

i dont even know why

not that good tbh (ouch at pgr4 bit)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IjPaT7BwSIU

thats it i think

Lol mine's gonna look more like an official trailer than that xD

Fez
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I had to get Xbox Live Arcade Classics Vol.1 on disc for it, since I was offline, I busted shapes for 5 hours just to get that 1 million score.

Fart
09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Im going to be studying game graphics and programming, First im going to college for 2 years to study ICT Graphics and design then im going to swansea uni to study game development and design :)
Cant wait

mangle
09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
iI'm terrible at HTML and stuff like that so im not going to bother with that!

At least for me if games journalism theres lots of other magazines papers etc.

Fez
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd like to learn Flash too, I have a few animation ideas and I've done a few things with free proggies.

Neversoft
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Since you can't be bothered in looking up a future career, then I doubt you actually want to be a game designer.

Google will know much more than this forum.

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Fair enough Neversoft but since first post i stated i found info about it.

and Neil btw that vid was just testing wmm with clips ;)

Neil
09-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Fair enough Neversoft but since first post i stated i found info about it.

and Neil btw that vid was just testing wmm with clips ;)

Lol sure it was ;)

I'll post my unofficial trailer here when I've done it xD

MrPinkPanther
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Doesnt the amount of replies to this thread suggest that loads of others are intrested in the career too. There are only a small number of places available in the games design industry so you really need to be at the top of your game. There are people who started game designing at like 8 years old, what makes you think you can compete? I personally started flash development at 12 and I am now 16 and I am nowhere near good enough. Im sorry for putting you down but I am just being realistic.

Andeeh
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
cool :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!