PDA

View Full Version : Moderators need to review rule B11

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 05:18 PM
B11. Do not make pointless posts - It is not allowed to post any messages that others consider to be meaningless or pointless or not relevant to the discussion.
I am seeing alot of pointless edits in peoples replies lately, which are relevant to the discussion and related to a sub-topic in a discussion. I think whoever the Moderator Manager is needs to remind them that any posts related to a post in a discussion isn't pointless. Here is an example in the accents discussion thread:

lmao.. hes from bridgend.
thats suicide town
DONT DO ANYTHING STUPID!!
Insert Pointless Post remark - Moderator

This was quoted from a previous poster:

I like the american accent, and the welsh :]
Yay for the welsh, Erm I love my accent xD but if it wasnt welsh it would be Polish, Because it makes me laugh xD
It relates to a discussion in a thread.

I can see the excuse being chucked at me such as:

"He went off topic talking about something else blah blah, he should make a new thread blah blah," making a new thread on that would be pointless. And as stated it relates to something in the thread, which isn't against the rules, and if it was, you'll get very boring discussions in threads where no one can go slightly off the central discussion. Besides, you seem to fear that when one person goes off topic, everyone afterwards will. Looking over the forum, a majority of people reply to posts in the first page including the main post that started the discussion, so there is no fear of there being a majority of pointless posts.

If you're forcing moderators to make logs, then you're managing skills are terrible. Quality over quantity, who cares how many edits a Mod makes, they're looked at as smarter people if the quality of their moderator is the best aspect of them ;)

If you want people to stay on topic 100%, change the rules or direct them to the debates forum/trading forums.

e5
28-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I see what you mean but the quotes you posted, were they edited?

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Ah, best add that now before it's too late. The top one was :)

mat64
28-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I think this rule is applied too harshly in some areas, I've always thought pointless posting to be something along these lines "A post which has no relevence to a the topic or a previous post in the topic". Also, since when did off-topic posts get edited? I've seen a fair few moderators editing them but from what I can remember that's not the case.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I think this rule is applied too harshly in some areas, I've always thought pointless posting to be something along these lines "A post which has no relevence to a the topic or a previous post in the topic". Also, since when did off-topic posts get edited? I've seen a fair few moderators editing them but from what I can remember that's not the case.
Indeed, the rule isn't harsh, but for some reason some members of the moderator team make it strict. There is no problem going slightly off topic, as long as it refers to another persons post or strikes an interesting fact that relates to something else and to the thread, like the member who I quoted (I left it blank, incase I get moaned at :P). To go off topic, you literally have to go completely off topic. Like when someone is asking for detailed opinions on an Airbus and another member randomly says "I like cheese," which is pointless.

An exception is for the trade forums and the debate forum, where you have to keep on topic, but even then you can go off topic to some degree like "Gordon Brown is raking in this much from petrol" can be related to another countries attitude to petrol, even though Gordon Brown is the topic.

Mr.Sam
28-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I agree, posts which have some connection to the thread should be left - posts that are something like "Hi Sam" or do not connect somehow with the current discussion should be edited, they shouldn't edit threads which are a tangent of current discussion - this will allow topics to flow better eg:

topic about farming
vv
livestock diseases like foot and mouth
vv
discussion about people spreading diseases
vv
human diseases
vv
NHS

I understand that is a poor example but it shows you the topic progressing.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I agree, posts which have some connection to the thread should be left - posts that are something like "Hi Sam" or do not connect somehow with the current discussion should be edited, they shouldn't edit threads which are a tangent of current discussion - this will allow topics to flow better eg:

topic about farming
vv
livestock diseases like foot and mouth
vv
discussion about people spreading diseases
vv
human diseases
vv
NHS

I understand that is a poor example but it shows you the topic progressing.
Don't be silly, that's a good example :P NHS is completely irrelevant to farming, yet it is relevant if you understand the topic and how it has progressed.

Callum.
28-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah I've noticed this alot, but never got around to saying something about it. You see someone say something a bit off the subject, and then someone will comment about that aswell, which means it isn't pointless. Moderators should read the actualy thread.

Mr.Sam
28-02-2008, 05:36 PM
No I was meaning that it would not represent a typical thread on this forum, how many times have you seen a good discussion about farming and the NHS? :P

Don't be silly, that's a good example :P NHS is completely irrelevant to farming, yet it is relevant if you understand the topic and how it has progressed.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Indeed, that's the only excuse they can really come up with. Although if it is a long thread then I can't blame them for not wanting to read it :P But they should take the time to read back a few pages to find out where this discussion has developed. It's like some discussions get worn thin and the central discussion has little to no meaning. Surely it should be suggested they make a new thread on the new discussion, than to have the warning: "Closed, gone off topic" at the bottom of it.

No I was meaning that it would not represent a typical thread on this forum, how many times have you seen a good discussion about farming and the NHS? :P
The principle is there :P

Mr.Sam
28-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I think that if people used the quote tool more often it would help solve the issue of reading long threads.
However the moderators do need to cut people some slack with their replies.

Indeed, that's the only excuse they can really come up with. Although if it is a long thread then I can't blame them for not wanting to read it :P But they should take the time to read back a few pages to find out where this discussion has developed. It's like some discussions get worn thin and the central discussion has little to no meaning. Surely it should be suggested they make a new thread on the new discussion, than to have the warning: "Closed, gone off topic" at the bottom of it.

The principle is there :P

The Professor
28-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I think that if people used the quote tool more often it would help solve the issue of reading long threads.
However the moderators do need to cut people some slack with their replies.

Personally I think habbox is overrun with red tape, rules, regulations, dos and don'ts. There are so many things that you can't do on here because of the rules which are detremental to discussions. For example, posting in foreign languages isn't going to kill anyone, and if it is rude the person will report the post if he/she takes offence, if not it goes unnoticed, which is fine imo. Conversations should be allowed to evolve naturally and not be goverened by such a strict set of rules

Obviously rules against insults, rudeness, swearing and the such should stand.

-Xiangu-
28-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Tbh I completely agree

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I completely agree with you Professor-Alex. I would like to see who actually thinks the rule about foreign languages should stay there, or not care or want it removed. It's a pointless rule, and you don't get a decent reason from whoever put the rule up in the first place. Habbox seem to think they must moderate everything, when that very thought is what makes them terrible. If whatever goes unnoticed, let it, don't dig for it. If someone disagrees with something, they'll tell you. Why seek for something when you don't need to.

Tristan
28-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I agree.
I've always been sure not to edit posts that reply to previous comments in the thread.

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah I've noticed this alot, but never got around to saying something about it. You see someone say something a bit off the subject, and then someone will comment about that aswell, which means it isn't pointless. Moderators should read the actualy thread.

Moderators arnt there to read a 20 page thread as the case can sometimes be.

When someone reports a post, we deal with it using the Mod guide.
Yeh, I agree with Gomme though some we think are pointless arnt.

Florx
28-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Going off on a tangent is part of us. We can't help it. Anyway sometimes it can end up on a more interesting topic :)

Catzsy
28-02-2008, 06:31 PM

With respect Tweety that's what a moderator is there for - to read and moderate the threads. If you haven't read the thread how can you tell if a comment is not contributing to the thread or is constructive. I think if someone says 'I agree' to a comment its fine but I have seen things like this edited. Obviously Blahblahblah is pointless.

Anyway referring to a previous thread the rules are being looked at so lets wait and see. Above all 'mod log' fever should be looked into. There is a lot more to moderation than editing and infractions/warnings including positively contributing and being helpful to the members. I blaming the mods for this as historically there seems to be more emphasis on the rule breaking side of the work.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 06:32 PM
With respect Tweety that's what a moderator is there for - to read and moderate the threads. If you haven't read the thread how can you tell if a comment is not contributing to the thread or is constructive. I think if someone says 'I agree' to a comment its fine but I have seen things like this edited. Obviously Blahblahblah is pointless.

Anyway referring to a previous thread the rules are being looked at so lets wait and see. Above all 'mod log' fever should be looked into. There is a lot more to moderation than editing and infractions/warnings including positively contributing and being helpful to the members. I blaming the mods for this as historically there seems to be more emphasis on the rule breaking side of the work.
It's not really a matter of looking over the pointless posting rule, that's fine and under lines that posts must relate to something in the discussion. It's some moderators not knowing that which is a problem.

Pyroka
28-02-2008, 06:33 PM

*blink* That's exactly your job. To moderate every single post in your catagory you're moderating, and to make sure that there's no law-breaking. I really can't believe you said that. The MOD guide needs reviewing imo, I haven't seen it but It'd be nice to see the Rules change along with certain parts of this guide you speak of.

As for 'some which you think are pointless, aren't', go with your judgement & 99% of the time, if you're a good Moderator, you'll be justified by your colleagues. You just have to make sure that you read the situation fully...

I would've appealed to Sierk about this a while back, on the rules and Moderators however with a new Forum Manager in effect, I'm hoping change will happen soon.

Elkaa
Firstly, none of the Moderators are encouraged to "build up logs". Editing incorrectly does nothing more than get the Moderator in question warned himself.

I will look into this though, and possibley change the wording of the rule to enable clarification and have a word with a few moderators. (If you could PM me specific examples, that'd be great)

Catzsy
It's not really a matter of looking over the pointless posting rule, that's fine and under lines that posts must relate to something in the discussion. It's some moderators not knowing that which is a problem.

Agree Gomme - it all comes down to my pet subject 'training' that I have bored people with for years.:eusa_wall

Elkaa, I have no doubt that you don't encourage mod logs but unless the reporting system has changed that's what they are judged on firstly because it is easier to find out this information than whether they have been positive and helpful. You only have to look at the 'How to become a Moderator' to see that the first requirement is to report posts - people tend to forget the rest. Also editing incorrectly does impact on the poster themselves as well as the mod getting warned. NO member likes to see red writing all over their post particularly if it is unjustified. They can get angry or upset about it and why not? :)

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Agree Gomme - it all comes down to my pet subject 'training' that I have bored people with for years.:eusa_wall
Someone will listen eventually, it's just a waiting game m'dear :)

Also, the rule about pointless posting is fine Elkaa, it's the a few moderators that need to be reminded, and perhaps encouraged to loosen up a little.

Hitman
28-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I recognise this as a post I myself edited. I've just started my trial, I'm getting used to what I need to edit, infract etc. I'm sorry if it seems like it didn't need editing, I didn't warn or infract the user. I'll bare some of the comments in mind, but in my eyes it was pointless because it wasn't about accents it was a post about suicide in Wales.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I recognise this as a post I myself edited. I've just started my trial, I'm getting used to what I need to edit, infract etc. I'm sorry if it seems like it didn't need editing, I didn't warn or infract the user. I'll bare some of the comments in mind, but in my eyes it was pointless because it wasn't about accents it was a post about suicide in Wales.
Which connects to accents, but as you're learning so it doesn't matter :) It was the only edit I could find at the time so I used that instead.

Hitman
28-02-2008, 06:42 PM
The things that connect is somebody said Welsh accents and he posted a post about Welsh suicide, the only connection is Wales, his post wasn't about accents otherwise.

It's like a post in the sport forum, for example:

Post1: England is a great team with some new players.
Post2: I ride horses in England.

It's kinda pointless as the main point of the thread is football or whatever.

But there is that connection otherwise. Thanks for posting this though, helps me improve. :D

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Well then the guide has serious issues as it never says to do that. That would then contribute in us looking to build up logs, let along going on to when we are allowed our own time to enjoy the use of the forum. I was really annoyed at someone from management telling me to get a certain number of logs.

I think they forget that we our doing this moderating voluntary with no reward and expect way too much, which is one of the reasons I resigned.
I know you were a moderator once, so you must have some idea of the huge guide they throw at us.
It never said to go into the section you moderate and scan 20 page threads for moderating.
But If you come across something thats worth an edit, then deal with it.
Any other moderating should come from reported posts.

jesus
28-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I recognise this as a post I myself edited. I've just started my trial, I'm getting used to what I need to edit, infract etc. I'm sorry if it seems like it didn't need editing, I didn't warn or infract the user. I'll bare some of the comments in mind, but in my eyes it was pointless because it wasn't about accents it was a post about suicide in Wales.I was about to post this about the new moderators. I was the same when I started, but as moderators settle into their new role this happens less and less. I'm not saying your were wrong to edit the posts because it could trigger posts such as 'omg why go off topic :S' which is pointless in itself.

Hitman
28-02-2008, 07:28 PM
OK, so I'll let all that link somehow pass and only edit the ones that are like this:

Post 1: I love Habbo it's cool.
Post 2: lool 123123

As that's very pointless.

Catzsy
28-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Well then the guide has serious issues as it never says to do that. That would then contribute in us looking to build up logs, let along going on to when we are allowed our own time to enjoy the use of the forum. I was really annoyed at someone from management telling me to get a certain number of logs.

I think they forget that we our doing this moderating voluntary with no reward and expect way too much, which is one of the reasons I resigned.
I know you were a moderator once, so you must have some idea of the huge guide they throw at us.
It never said to go into the section you moderate and scan 20 page threads for moderating.
But If you come across something thats worth an edit, then deal with it.
Any other moderating should come from reported posts.

Well to me its commonsense to read the whole thread but if you say you were being pressured into getting a certain number of logs then I can see why they are just scanned to get edits. Mod log targets are pretty nonsensical because of the great variation between the forums. Spam would get a great deal more than say teens. Also some mods spend all day on the forum and others manage a few hours a week. Its not a fair way at all INHO. Ostinato and I would bring that up all the time but it doesn't seemed to have changed at all. Target, reports, objectives all sound very good but will never replace proper personal contact by a mod with the forum. Quality beats quantity every time in my book. Sorry to hear you have resigned Tweety.

Hitman
28-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, to be honest I've not seen anything about getting log targets, I'm just reading through threads and checking the whole thing if I have time. I've seen a lot of things I wasn't sure on editing or not, because I didn't want to be editing everything, so I'm not trying to get loads of logs or whatever. :P

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Well to me its commonsense to read the whole thread but if you say you were being pressured into getting a certain number of logs then I can see why they are just scanned to get edits. Mod log targets are pretty nonsensical because of the great variation between the forums. Spam would get a great deal more than say teens. Also some mods spend all day on the forum and others manage a few hours a week. Its not a fair way at all INHO. Ostinato and I would bring that up all the time but it doesn't seemed to have changed at all. Target, reports, objectives all sound very good but will never replace proper personal contact by a mod with the forum. Quality beats quantity every time in my book. Sorry to hear you have resigned Tweety.

Yes, reading the whole thread makes sense, as you say quality beats quantity. But what are management happy to see?
300 edit logs that are normally from scanning posts, seeing that someones post doesn't match the thread title and thinking, :o pointless/offtopic.

Management treats us like dirt, obviously moderators arnt going to say that because they will most likely get fired. All they do is take you on, tell you to read the guide and get on with it. 'Mistakes are expected'
Mistakes arnt recieved that well with forum members receiving pointless infractions and edits etc.

They really need to work out a new way to help moderators do their job.

Im thinking of encouraging moderators to do say 1 hour moderating a day.
Edit logs will then dont matter as you have done the 1 hour expected and at leats it would be to a high quality. Most of all this will allow moderators to have some time to enjoy the forum themselves.

Elkaa
28-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Management treats us like dirt, obviously moderators arnt going to say that because they will most likely get fired. All they do is take you on, tell you to read the guide and get on with it. 'Mistakes are expected'
Mistakes arnt recieved that well with forum members receiving pointless infractions and edits etc.

They really need to work out a new way to help moderators do their job.

Im thinking of encouraging moderators to do say 1 hour moderating a day.
Edit logs will then dont matter as you have done the 1 hour expected and at leats it would be to a high quality. Most of all this will allow moderators to have some time to enjoy the forum themselves.

1) I've never treated any Moderator like dirt. If anyone ever needs to talk, wants to talk or needs a hand with anything, I'm there to talk and assist. What you've said in that statement is completely untrue, and you get all the help you need. You can't expect us to tell you about every single situtation, as it's physically impossible. (Plus that means a bigger guide, and you're already saying it's too big)

2) It was considered to assign a Super Moderator to each of the trial Moderators. This was decided againest. With any new trial (as they will tell you) I gave them several long PM's explaining everything.

3) 1 hour is more than enough.

Whilst logs are important, if someone is just repeating editing the same thing for wrong reasons, when I'm counting them in the AdminCP it shows. Anything which doesn't look right, I question with the moderator.

Furthermore, the Moderator report style has changed (as of next week) - As you would of seen. :)

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 08:05 PM
1) I've never treated any Moderator like dirt. If anyone ever needs to talk, wants to talk or needs a hand with anything, I'm there to talk and assist. What you've said in that statement is completely untrue, and you get all the help you need. You can't expect us to tell you about every single situtation, as it's physically impossible. (Plus that means a bigger guide, and you're already saying it's too big)

2) It was considered to assign a Super Moderator to each of the trial Moderators. This was decided againest. With any new trial (as they will tell you) I gave them several long PM's explaining everything.

Whilst logs are important, if someone is just repeating editing the same thing for wrong reasons, when I'm counting them in the AdminCP it shows. Anything which doesn't look right, I question with the moderator.

Furthermore, the Moderator report style has changed (as of next week) - As you would of seen. :)

1.) I dont mean in the sense of verbally abusing us as such, More in a sense of expecting to much and not seeing it fm our point of view.

2.) Smods yes, they are there to help, and they do try to help, but there not online all the time, and sometimes not when you need them.

3.) logs are not that important, as long as your getting 25+ in the 3 week period, happy days.

Furthermore, I can't predict the future im afraid.

GommeInc
28-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Hmmm, there seems to be a problem with communication between moderators and the manager... What does this guide go through exactly? Because you don't really need a redicuously big guide to follow, a short pocket version is good enough... Or you could code one on the habbox site which works like a Habbo FAQ system, where you click a link which briefly sums up what it's about in a sentence and opens a full, detailed paragraph or so of what to do etc. It would beat a guide, as moderating is common sense (if I remember correctly from working as a moderator). A guide that explains too much confuses people.

brandon
28-02-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm glad to hear. When I was a mod the more mod logs you got the quicker you'd get promoted to Super Mod, regardless of the rule breaking in the forum you moderated etc, forum activity should be taken into consideration aswell.

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm glad to hear. When I was a mod the more mod logs you got the quicker you'd get promoted to Super Mod, regardless of the rule breaking in the forum you moderated etc, forum activity should be taken into consideration aswell.

Yeh, granted at least management are trying to change it for the better, which shows they do care to a certain extent.

jesus
28-02-2008, 08:37 PM
forum activity should be taken into consideration aswell.I agree. :P

Orangeesh
28-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Firstly, none of the Moderators are encouraged to "build up logs". Editing incorrectly does nothing more than get the Moderator in question warned himself.

I will look into this though, and possibley change the wording of the rule to enable clarification and have a word with a few moderators. (If you could PM me specific examples, that'd be great)

I just noticed thats a complete lie.
How are we not encouraged to build up logs when you expect logs to determine whether we are 'good' moderators, you even base logs to see who can become a good smod. Smods although do have a big amount load to deal with. But surely activity should be more important.

Elkaa
28-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I just noticed thats a complete lie.
How are we not encouraged to build up logs when you expect logs to determine whether we are 'good' moderators, you even base logs to see who can become a good smod. Smods although do have a big amount load to deal with. But surely activity should be more important.

Again, it seems you aren't 100% sure what you're talking about.

The main thing that the reports are based on (as I've written in every report since becoming manager) is the "Report to Super Moderator" thread. That thread allows you to have complete freedom around the forum, and just report things when you see them. A high amount of all 3 of the key factors including this would, undoubtabley, not be judged down though.

Also, "you even base logs to see who can become a good smod" - No idea who told you that, but that's a completely invalid statement. Activity is key, and as I mentioned before the report structure will be changing to represent this. Super Moderators are chosen on much more than just the logs/infractions they can give out, because of the increased power they have on the forum.

As we're starting to fall into private Moderator only detail here, I think it's best to stop the comments about this particular subject. The topic at hand is the pointless posting edits, which have now been addressed.

The Professor
28-02-2008, 09:19 PM

I have to say I completely disagree there. Counting management as the super mods and Elkaa (and J1MI when he was forum manager) each has been very helpful when I have made decisions that were seen to be wrong. They weren't patronising or arrogant about it, simply pointed out errors.

As for the way trialists are introduced, this is pretty standard across all departments. The guide is often more than adequate at explaining what should be done in most situations, and the moderator's judgement does the rest. Trying to guide a person too much is detremental to the performance of the person, and simply demotivates them and makes them feel controlled. Giving them free riegn and nudging them back when they step out of line is far more effective.

Hmmm, there seems to be a problem with communication between moderators and the manager... What does this guide go through exactly? Because you don't really need a redicuously big guide to follow, a short pocket version is good enough... Or you could code one on the habbox site which works like a Habbo FAQ system, where you click a link which briefly sums up what it's about in a sentence and opens a full, detailed paragraph or so of what to do etc. It would beat a guide, as moderating is common sense (if I remember correctly from working as a moderator). A guide that explains too much confuses people.

Personally I think the guide should be made public so the members can see EXACTLY how we moderate, so we can't keep using the excuse "the guide told us to" and members getting annoyed because they can't argue that. There isn't anything to hide in the guide, simply 50,000 pages of guidelines that need consensing, and I'm sure the members and council can assist with that :)

sierk
29-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I think that the rule about posting pointlessly should only be applied when members post complete nonsense. If there is any kind of relation to a previous post it should be allowed.

GommeInc
29-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Personally I think the guide should be made public so the members can see EXACTLY how we moderate, so we can't keep using the excuse "the guide told us to" and members getting annoyed because they can't argue that. There isn't anything to hide in the guide, simply 50,000 pages of guidelines that need consensing, and I'm sure the members and council can assist with that :)
That would be a good idea, because moderators and management could lie themselves out of a situation (not that they would, or I hope they wouldn't :P) so it would be good if a short guide about moderating was shown. Like how they deal with events, because in a way it will reflect how a member should act. But judging by some of Elkaa's posts that include not mentioning even the slightest detail about 'behind the scenes', he will be against it.

I think that the rule about posting pointlessly should only be applied when members post complete nonsense. If there is any kind of relation to a previous post it should be allowed.
Indeed, perhaps a remind of the forum/moderator manager should be done?

risque
29-02-2008, 03:05 PM

I concur.

today
29-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Hmm i agree there :)

Slowpoke
29-02-2008, 03:55 PM
It's a pretty harsh rule I agree. I have had two warnings for pointless posting and I don't agree with it.

today
29-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I always thought the pointless posting was simply a post edit only!?

Jordy
29-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I speak from experience here and it is true, Moderator's aren't pressured into target's or logs. You where just expected to get a reasonable amount of logs, if you didn't it was just accepted and you where expected to improve, and the case was if you didn't get enough in the monthly-a-so Moderator report quite regularly you got the sack, which I think is very fair. There is no set target's and your not pressured at all into getting loads.

Some Moderator's just tend to make targets for themselves, so they either 'Go up in the world' or just to make a mark in the forums, this isn't Habbox's fault.

I agree Pointless Posting is getting a bit silly and it does need to re-worded. Despite all this 'Habbox is Big Brother, I don't think the Pointless Posting rule is hard enough. I won't drop any names but loads of people are continually making useless replies cause of 'Loop-holes'. Here's a lame example, sorry I couldn't think of a better one

Someone creates a thread 'What is the date of bonfire night?'
'5th of November'
'It's the the 5th of November'
'I agree it's the 5th of November'
'I think it's the 5th of November
'5th of November'

It happens so much and people are ranking up their post-count so easily by repeating what has already been said, it makes reading threads a right nuisance at times. I'd really like to see this 'Loop-hole' looked into, as it's Pointless posting but they can get away with saying what's already been said.

today
29-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree there when people repeat what others say over and over again when its not needed. It really is annoying and i would count it as spam.

Specially in the case of above example.

Slowpoke
29-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I always thought the pointless posting was simply a post edit only!?

obviously not :(

today
29-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Well i swear it was always like that, i'll check it up now.

As for as the MG says is to report to the Super Moderator if it happens often.

Jordy
29-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I speak from experience here and it is true, Moderator's aren't pressured into target's or logs. You where just expected to get a reasonable amount of logs, if you didn't it was just accepted and you where expected to improve, and the case was if you didn't get enough in the monthly-a-so Moderator report quite regularly you got the sack, which I think is very fair. There is no set target's and your not pressured at all into getting loads.

Some Moderator's just tend to make targets for themselves, so they either 'Go up in the world' or just to make a mark in the forums, this isn't Habbox's fault.

I agree Pointless Posting is getting a bit silly and it does need to re-worded. Despite all this 'Habbox is Big Brother, I don't think the Pointless Posting rule is hard enough. I won't drop any names but loads of people are continually making useless replies cause of 'Loop-holes'. Here's a lame example, sorry I couldn't think of a better one

Someone creates a thread 'What is the date of bonfire night?'
'5th of November'
'It's the the 5th of November'
'I agree it's the 5th of November'
'I think it's the 5th of November
'5th of November'

It happens so much and people are ranking up their post-count so easily by repeating what has already been said, it makes reading threads a right nuisance at times. I'd really like to see this 'Loop-hole' looked into, as it's Pointless posting but they can get away with saying what's already been said.Here's just a real example of what I'm trying to say http://habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=460312 - He would of had time to read the other post, but instead posts what the guy above says. If he wishes to agree with the guy above I think he should add something constructive.

Catzsy
29-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Here's just a real example of what I'm trying to say http://habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=460312 - He would of had time to read the other post, but instead posts what the guy above says. If he wishes to agree with the guy above I think he should add something constructive.

Why he is agreeing? What is the problem with that? FGS this is a forum
where people should enjoy themselves what is the problem here? Just scan down the thread - its not a great inconvenience. If you were in a normal conversation you would not say don't say 'you agree' say something constructive as well. It's like when somebody finds the post above funny
they quite often say LOL - that is expressing an opinion as well and is valid as far as I can see. Its pointless spam that should be cracked down on where it makes no sense at all and is random.

today
29-02-2008, 04:56 PM
That example is good, i gave a detailed reply thus he didnt need to say what i said really.

But heh.

---MAD---
29-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Hmm, I agree. In some cases we are enforcing the pointless/off topic rule too much and in other areas we are not.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :).

The Professor
29-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I agree there when people repeat what others say over and over again when its not needed. It really is annoying and i would count it as spam.

Specially in the case of above example.

Completely agreed. I have to stop myself putting big red writing all over threads like that, its so frustrating seeing people using the wording of the rule to get their post count up.

Well i swear it was always like that, i'll check it up now.

As for as the MG says is to report to the Super Moderator if it happens often.

It should be, I got told off for infracting it when I first became a mod :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!