PDA

View Full Version : Should we be allowed to have images of ourselves on our profile or post them?

Pulchritudinous
10-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I personally don't think you can be tracked down through a picture, and it would be cool to be able to have your own picture on the profile.

We would be able to see the faces of habbos, I don't know if I would put one of myself up, I'd just like to see what you guys think.

Edited by Soyers (Forum Administrator): Thread closed, please read the HabboxForum rules. Forum rule number 6. Do not post your photo anywhere on the forum

Mizki
10-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Bad idea. You don't know WHO is viewing the forums. Photos can give away alot of details... maybe a school uniform - the surroundings.. sign posts etc... buildings...

Pulchritudinous
10-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I guess so, I've never thought about that before.

---MAD---
10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
bad bad idea lol - starts problems eg YOUR UGLY EWWWWW.....thats 1 thing, second spys and idiots that start fights :)

Wootzeh
10-06-2005, 02:23 PM
but it's your own choice if you put it up.
if you dont feel safe, dont put it up.
if you dont care you should be allowed pu it up.

Mizki
10-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I think some members are too immature to know better wootzy.

Vause
10-06-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah its stupid, i mean its up to you if you have it up on messanger, but on a forum like this - bad idea.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 05:06 PM
You put up an image at your own, risk. And if people are prepeard to i see no reason to stop them, if there not allowed to on habbox, doesnt stop you posting it eslse where, and the risk form a pic is minimal to none exstnace in reality, as long as you dont have a large singe behind you with adress and phone number attached "/

People should be able to, and any consiqunces are there own fault if they do so.

2hd.
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
yes but think about it like this...local Mr. Pervert is watching girls and boys come out of school, he sees a photo on the forum of a little girl, :o wait a second..doesnt this girl go to that particular school? he tracks her down, all he does is quote habbox or habbo, and if this is a little newbie...young child all he has to say is that they are DJ-3000 and bam...i don't need to explain the rest :(

---MAD---
10-06-2005, 05:26 PM
what mizki is saying is right, but some people dont know how things turn out if they do something.....

JackHb
10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I dont think they should be allowed!
Its quite dangerous as you dont know who is on this forum!
There are 14000 members, we dont know who everyone is!

I do keep my pic of me on my messenger though :(

Mentor
10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
yes but think about it like this...local Mr. Pervert is watching girls and boys come out of school, he sees a photo on the forum of a little girl, :o wait a second..doesnt this girl go to that particular school? he tracks her down, all he does is quote habbox or habbo, and if this is a little newbie...young child all he has to say is that they are DJ-3000 and bam...i don't need to explain the rest :(
umm if some pedos out side some school, what diffence would it make if there picture was on a forum or not. He/she could still follow any of them home in exscatly the same way

Wootzeh
10-06-2005, 05:50 PM
but its our choice, like I said.
and what are the chances of a paedo on the forum?
not much theres 14k people with about 500active members i doubt there are paedos

Mentor
10-06-2005, 05:54 PM
If you post your pic its yoru reponciblty, and does it realy matter who sees them anyway? i mean if they don tactaly lead to you IRL whats the problem

Syd
10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
People can pass you off as somebody else, then you'll both get in trouble. Also people can find out which computer it has been put on and they can track you down.

tbh imo no m8
10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
i personally think it is a good idea :) i have no hints in my photo for where i live :)

Y!
10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I personally don't think you can be tracked down through a picture, and it would be cool to be able to have your own picture on the profile.

We would be able to see the faces of habbos, I don't know if I would put one of myself up, I'd just like to see what you guys think.

I feel that players over 16 should have the option if they really must. Of course they would have to prove their age in one way or another. Under 13s certainly shouldn't post their pictures for the obvious reasons.

Wootzeh
10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I feel that players over 16 should have the option if they really must. Of course they would have to prove their age in one way or another. Under 13s certainly shouldn't post their pictures for the obvious reasons.
which are?

Y!
10-06-2005, 06:13 PM
which are?
Ummm... People finding out personal details to add on top of the picture e.g your
town or school. Also if there is a destinctive landmark in the picture like a street sign or you're wearing school uniform, then they could tell where you lived. It's common sense really. ;/

andrew
10-06-2005, 06:19 PM
umm if some pedos out side some school, what diffence would it make if there picture was on a forum or not. He/she could still follow any of them home in exscatly the same way

That's what I was thinking.. A pedo doesn't need a picture on a forum to go stalk someone, I mean, couldn't he just go to a school and watch as the children come out. He could always use a picture posted on a forum, but why not going walk around a mall looking for little girls, seems easier to me. Maybe I'm not thinking like a pedo would, but in my opinion, I think we should be able to post pictures.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
People can pass you off as somebody else, then you'll both get in trouble. Also people can find out which computer it has been put on and they can track you down.
Yes http records on a sever its hosted can track indveaual quirys to a picture.

Exsept it would be easyer to trase from you accessing, or posting on this site, than it would be to trace back an image, and immposoible unless they were the one hosting the image.
So there no risk from that.

To next point, woudlnt a pedo target those localy rather than trapes half way around the globe becuse they sae someones pic on the net =.=

Plus global, that the point i was making "/

Y!
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes http records on a sever its hosted can track indveaual quirys to a picture.

Exsept it would be easyer to trase from you accessing, or posting on this site, than it would be to trace back an image, and immposoible unless they were the one hosting the image.
So there no risk from that.

To next point, woudlnt a pedo target those localy rather than trapes half way around the globe becuse they sae someones pic on the net =.=

Plus global, that the point i was making "/
Very true, but all criminals act on opportunity. So if a pedo sees a chance they will take it.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 07:19 PM
But how is a picture a chnave, it woul actaly mean more work, and more danger?

Y!
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
But how is a picture a chnave, it woul actaly mean more work, and more danger?
It doesn't work like that, people that post a picture are obviously looking for attension from the opposite gender online. Someone sees the picture, gets their msn, gets chatting. Who knows what could lead on from there. Haven't you seen the cases on the news about pedos 'grooming' 13 yr olds?

Concentric
10-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't think it's a good idea and trust me, it's not going to happen, but i do agree with Mentor, someone wanting to track a child down would find it easier to just go to their local school than to try tracking a similar person down with just a picture.

Steph
10-06-2005, 07:55 PM
it depends on how you look at it. if teh photo is clean and doesn't give off any major hints in where you are it should be allowed. but then again, once you've posted it or put it on ya profile people can take it and if they are pedos they can perv on ya, or put you down on ya apperance! but overall, I don't think it should be allowed, because its your identity and it should be kept safe on da internet coz u never know who you are talking too.

Steven
10-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Photos = bad.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 08:00 PM
it depends on how you look at it. if teh photo is clean and doesn't give off any major hints in where you are it should be allowed. but then again, once you've posted it or put it on ya profile people can take it and if they are pedos they can perv on ya, or put you down on ya apperance! but overall, I don't think it should be allowed, because its your identity and it should be kept safe on da internet coz u never know who you are talking too.
Yea its on the net, so i dont realy cair, if some strange person is perving over a pic, dosnt effect, me, nore do i realy cair wether people like what i look like or not, athogh i dont cair much IRL ether, but anyway.

If you dont want your pic, dont post your pic. just dont stop others who do from doing it if they so wish.

It doesn't work like that, people that post a picture are obviously looking for attension from the opposite gender online. Someone sees the picture, gets their msn, gets chatting. Who knows what could lead on from there. Haven't you seen the cases on the news about pedos 'grooming' 13 yr olds?

plus i dont quite belive your genisation Specie of all peoples posting there pics on the net, some times its just to put a face to the user. or some times its you makeing a prat out of your self in a hilaris light, for exsmaple, thers a pic of me and a load of my mates doing monster mash (me frankenstine) for the end of yr 11 show, and the word looking like a compleat and utter prat doesnt even start to descibe what we looked like (but we one anyway - go us), considering i dont think ive got a pic on the net where a dont look like a prat "/

so basily i think it should be the posters desison to post there pic or not, i mean you dont go out i npublic and not let people see what you look like. theres no point, and athogh the nets a bigger aria i still apply same princbale :D

-=rooty987=-
10-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Removed..

Mizki
10-06-2005, 08:30 PM
I think you will be banned from habboxforum if you don't remove it immediatly

MissAlice
10-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I think this idea is totally wrong for this forum. You have to bear in mind the age group of many members. Some are probably as young as 11, (some may well be younger for all we know) and no offence to them but probably don't fully understand the consequences of what might be to them an innocent action. They might be down for some reason, and need a shoulder to cry on, who better than someone willing to give them loads of attention, possibly a pedo!!!!! We have to protect the innocent. Also, who here has the right to check my date of birth or yours to establish who is old enough to display their image? No one. This is a fan site forum for Habbo. The Habbo Way also applies here on this forum.

Mit
10-06-2005, 09:02 PM
why did habbofaces close down, i remember loking at some funny pictures of peeps that have now become quite famous on habbo

Mentor
10-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I think this idea is totally wrong for this forum. You have to bear in mind the age group of many members. Some are probably as young as 11, (some may well be younger for all we know) and no offence to them but probably don't fully understand the consequences of what might be to them an innocent action. They might be down for some reason, and need a shoulder to cry on, who better than someone willing to give them loads of attention, possibly a pedo!!!!! We have to protect the innocent. Also, who here has the right to check my date of birth or yours to establish who is old enough to display their image? No one. This is a fan site forum for Habbo. The Habbo Way also applies here on this forum.
Yes, but the thing is.
1. your not actaly allowed on habbo unless you are at least 13, so any 11 years olds shoulnt realy be here anyway, at least not for the habbo part.
2. No, no one has the right to check somes dob. but then again, no one can realy say you dont have the right to tell someone your dob if you choose to?
or in this case post a picture. I dont think it should be encorged, but it should also not be treated like a crime, if people want to post there pictures, they alown are responcible for the consiqences, and if many people already can guess the age of most members, and many have said theres, many times, what diffence would a pic make to a suppsoed pedo looking for tagerts, then again, this is moded, stuff is loged, so no pedo would be ablke to operate here without being caugt very quickly.
And as has been said before why would they pointlessy wast time on a forum, rather than just preying on people localy?

Pulchritudinous
10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I have to stress I was simply asking whether the forum thought is was a good or bad idea.

I checked through my photos, and none of them give away my identity etc, and most members seem pretty intelligent, although I have to understand that people do fall in the trap of making friends with a pedo, and on the net, and know what not to give away.

I guess on a forum used by children we cannot post pictures.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I have to stress I was simply asking whether the forum thought is was a good or bad idea.

I checked through my photos, and none of them give away my identity etc, and most members seem pretty intelligent, although I have to understand that people do fall in the trap of making friends with a pedo, and on the net, and know what not to give away.

I guess on a forum used by children we cannot post pictures.
But according to the habbohotel rules, wich this forum, supposely follows, all members have to be 13 or older, thefore meaing there shoulnt be "children" on this forum anyway "/

MissAlice
10-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Too many already give out way toooooo much personal information. They say where they live, they even talk about their personal lives. They exchange messenger information and probably a lot more. My point is all about protecting them that don't know how to protect themselves. This forum caters for a very wide age range, you can't make rules for members that are over a certain age.

By the way I think if you check habbo it's now 14 not 13.

GommeInc
10-06-2005, 09:19 PM
I think the idea would be good, if this was the right type of forum. But, considering most of the forum users are below 20-21 and it is ment for children, then it is a bad idea. True there may not be those types of people here, there are immature bone heads that will indeed take your picture and edit and show it around the web and make fun of you (I shall not mention names). So really, good idea for an over 21 forum, bad idea for a habbo forum with young members and idiots that will be too immature to hold in the excitement of editing your face

Pulchritudinous
10-06-2005, 09:23 PM
But according to the habbohotel rules, wich this forum, supposely follows, all members have to be 13 or older, thefore meaing there shoulnt be "children" on this forum anyway "/

Yeah...but we all know people on habbo arnt always 14+.
I was still quite mature at 11 or 12, and I was taught not to give away personal information, but I guess habbox can't take the risk.

Mentor
10-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah...but we all know people on habbo arnt always 14+.
I was still quite mature at 11 or 12, and I was taught not to give away personal information, but I guess habbox can't take the risk.
But what risk is there to habbox, it would be at the image posters own risk, and if you do not know about keeping your personal info secure, you should be useing the internet in the first place.
and if people are breaking the age rule, how is that habbox's repocncibilty? all the people here, who are actaly allowed to are easly old enogh to use the remote bits of common sence needed.

1000s, of people see them in real life every day, some of them could just as likly be pedos? but people dont cover up then, what realy makes the internet any differnt "/

Pulchritudinous
10-06-2005, 09:31 PM
But what risk is there to habbox, it would be at the image posters own risk, and if you do not know about keeping your personal info secure, you should be useing the internet in the first place.
and if people are breaking the age rule, how is that habbox's repocncibilty? all the people here, who are actaly allowed to are easly old enogh to use the remote bits of common sence needed.

1000s, of people see them in real life every day, some of them could just as likly be pedos? but people dont cover up then, what realy makes the internet any differnt "/

I do totally agree with you, although habbox has got to protect their users.

Vause
10-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, its 100% bad. ANYONE could look on these forums, so your never safe. Its your choice if you have it on messanger or whatever, but you should never post your personal details on a forum. I.e Phone number, adress, full name, school ect..

Corey777
10-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Based on some of the previous posts, that would be like saying: "ANYONE could look at you when you walk outside, so your never safe."

Mentor
10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
The whole problem is just a manifestion, of the fact most socity is run on a fear basis anyway these days.
Its eriosly is true what they say about britain being one of, if not the most paranoid contry in the world (Wich is reaulting in the fact its slowly becoming a nanny state )

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!