PDA

View Full Version : Parents who pay for everything

Asher
14-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Is something that really annoys me. Why do parents feel the need to hand everything to their kids on a gold plater. How are they going to learn anything? I have friends who have got their driving lessons paid for, their car, their insurance - And their parents fund their weekend plans ;/

I put forward this rant because i've just had to pay for £60 worth of exam resits, and seemingly everyone has had their parents fund theirs.

jfdskMSDKDRLW.A./dsdddddddddd

cocaine
14-03-2008, 04:15 PM
this gets on my nerves as well, as well as the people who completely doss off school and still get better grades than me (just). really annoys me

Swearwolf
14-03-2008, 04:17 PM
i pay for my own stuff mostly. my dad hasnt even gave me/my mum 10p in the last 10 years.

the only time my mum helped: she gave me 200quid towards my first car, that was a bday present

must say though, i agree.

Asher
14-03-2008, 04:17 PM
it's like. PLZZZZZZZZZZ.ZZ I HAD ONE DAY OFF COLLEGE, MARK ME IN. I NEED MA EMA TO GO OUT ON DA WEEKEND. Well, get a job like everyone else.

Swearwolf
14-03-2008, 04:18 PM
it's like. PLZZZZZZZZZZ.ZZ I HAD ONE DAY OFF COLLEGE, MARK ME IN. I NEED MA EMA TO GO OUT ON DA WEEKEND. Well, get a job like everyone else.

lol i asked my mum to call in for me to get my EMA, purely cos i had no access to a phone/internet to do it myself

jesus
14-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't think parents should do this as children get older as they need to learn be independent for later life.

LoveHateHero
14-03-2008, 04:30 PM
A girl I know got her driving lessons, test, car and insurance paid for even though she has a job.

jesus
14-03-2008, 04:32 PM
A girl I know got her driving lessons, test, car and insurance paid for even though she has a job.I had to pay for all those despite me never having a job. :|

Azul
14-03-2008, 04:33 PM
My parents sometimes pay for my brothers drivign lessons, he has a part time job and is often skint, I don't see anything wrong with that. But I agree if parents pay for everything than it isn't going to encourage people to get jobs and be independant etc..

dirrty
14-03-2008, 04:37 PM
i buy my own things, but sometimes she gives me money to buy stuff when im skint (e.g last year when i wanted to buy some clothes but i had no money and it costed 300 quid). but from an early age my mum has made sure im independant. like ive been cooking my own food a long time. using a microwave since single digit age, and im glad that she did that as when its time for me to move out of the house, i will be able to cook, clean and look after my own money easily as i have done for the past few years. teenagers who cant do anything on their own will have so much trouble in the future, and as parents, they should be pushing their children to do things on their own, especially buy their own things. cuz when they r older, their parents wont b there to pay for their needs (hopefully not anyway).

Andeeh
14-03-2008, 04:37 PM
God my mates like dis i save up for ages to get summin then he just has to wrap his parents round his finger and ask for it.

He even gets his mum to do his paper round and doesnt pay her.

it annoys me

Decapitated!
14-03-2008, 04:40 PM
i get all my stuff paid for just because my mum has a really good job.

Asher
14-03-2008, 04:43 PM
What does that have to do with anything? My folks have a good disposable income, but still they don't flower me with gifts.

e5
14-03-2008, 04:49 PM
You think it's stupid yet you're complaining when you have to do it, so basically you're jealous when other people's parents can afford to buy their children things such as this - That wasn't of offensive comment, just my opinion which might aswell be a fact.

Asher
14-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not jealous at all. I just think a few people need to get their finger out and not rely on their parents as much. Being spoilt is not a good thing. I attend college and work 15 hours a week, and it's much more satisfying then begging my parents for cash. My parents don't pay for everything for me, as they know i'll learn nothing in life, right?

Yes.

Elkaa
14-03-2008, 04:59 PM
mm, got to admit I fall into this catagory. My dad wants me to go on into management, as he's the MD of National Express, so pays for everything.

When I got a D in my IT, he just paid £120 to have the exam board remark it because he disagrees with it.

Being nearly 19, I still get money "paid" into my account from him, to pay for weekends out and stuff, as well as him paying for all of my university stuff. Basically he just wants to give me the best start that I can get, and to leave uni without a load of debt.

With that said, from the years of the money into my account, I have enough to pay for Uni twice over..

Dispite all that, I do agree that it shouldn't be done. I mean - I don't know much about money management now, as I've never had to be concerned about it.

e5
14-03-2008, 05:00 PM
You created this thread to rant as you just had to pay £60 for something and you're complaning about parents paying for stuff for their kids, so bascially you want your parents to do this.

Papershop
14-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm not jealous at all. I just think a few people need to get their finger out and not rely on their parents as much. Being spoilt is not a good thing. I attend college and work 15 hours a week, and it's much more satisfying then begging my parents for cash. My parents don't pay for everything for me, as they know i'll learn nothing in life, right?

Yes.

I couldnt agree more. I am 18, my mam has her own life, she spends her money on what she wants. But tbh, i would take money off her anyways because thats what shes worked for. Its just a shame that some peoples parents need to spend money on thier kids to show them love.

GommeInc
14-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I normally get my parents to buy me something, then I transfer them money over the internet. When it's something like buying an expensive first car for your child, it's a bit odd. Not stupid because the person could be a good driver.

I'm ok for parents paying for an education. I mean, 16-18 isn't really old and they probably won't have a job by then or both getting one with Uni round the corner. As long as they pay it back or return the favour in the future then it's fine.

e5
14-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I couldnt agree more. I am 18, my mam has her own life, she spends her money on what she wants. But tbh, i would take money off her anyways because thats what shes worked for. Its just a shame that some peoples parents need to spend money on thier kids to show them love.
Who says its to show them love? Ask Elkaa has said, his parents want him to have the best start to life.

Asher
14-03-2008, 05:06 PM
^

Yes, I did. It doesn't mean I want my parents to pay for them. Because it comes down to my own doing. I should have revised more. If my parents paid for them, I wouldn't learn anything. Oh, and if they did pay for everything, I still would work - experience/life skills and what not.

GommeInc
14-03-2008, 05:12 PM
^

Yes, I did. It doesn't mean I want my parents to pay for them. Because it comes down to my own doing. I should have revised more. If my parents paid for them, I wouldn't learn anything. Oh, and if they did pay for everything, I still would work - experience/life skills and what not.
Surely if they paid for the re-sit you'll still do them? Kinda defeats the point otherwise :/

Anyway, at the end of the day as long as you're not wasting any money you've been given on unbelievably stupid things, then it's fine by most parents :)

Papershop
14-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Who says its to show them love? Ask Elkaa has said, his parents want him to have the best start to life.

Okay well elka may be the exception. in my personal view, it just seems like alot of parents dont understand how to make thier children happy other than to buy them things. And alot of children flaunt the fact that thier parents will just do anything for them. To me, this is just the same as falunting thier unhealthy relationship with thier parents. By all means accept credit help if you need it, but it pisses people off when other people have to work hard for something.

Asher
14-03-2008, 05:21 PM
well, it's OK. they will all face the same fate of veruca salt.

Nereo
14-03-2008, 05:38 PM
My parents spoilt me when I was younger and bought my first car etc. But I understand money management and gettin a job is important. what im saying is I dont think theres anything wrong with having lots of stuff bought for you if you aer taught the valueof money and the need to get a job any everything along side it.

cocaine
14-03-2008, 05:43 PM
im ok, because i'm very independant by nature, and im able to hold onto money for long

mangle
14-03-2008, 05:45 PM
i buy most stuff , my mom and dad give me allowance to learn to manage my own money.

i get stuff paid for thats realated to skl tho :]

Shrlurp
14-03-2008, 05:46 PM
mm, got to admit I fall into this catagory. My dad wants me to go on into management, as he's the MD of National Express, so pays for everything.

When I got a D in my IT, he just paid £120 to have the exam board remark it because he disagrees with it.

Being nearly 19, I still get money "paid" into my account from him, to pay for weekends out and stuff, as well as him paying for all of my university stuff. Basically he just wants to give me the best start that I can get, and to leave uni without a load of debt.

With that said, from the years of the money into my account, I have enough to pay for Uni twice over..

Dispite all that, I do agree that it shouldn't be done. I mean - I don't know much about money management now, as I've never had to be concerned about it.
I see what you are saying but I wouldn't class this as 'spoilt',

I think if your parents are paying for your education then whats the problem, if the bomb you with dirty rich presents then I would NEVER agree with this.

I get ALOT of support from my parents but i'm not spoilt I don't EVER ask for things I simply get the support from my parents. Adding to that i'm not given everything here and there I have to obide by their rules :).

Asher
14-03-2008, 05:48 PM
The kids on that horrible programme 'MY SUPER SWEET 16' need some sort of reality check as well.

Decapitated!
14-03-2008, 05:52 PM
The kids on that horrible programme 'MY SUPER SWEET 16' need some sort of reality check as well.

why? they are rich they can do what they want i'd rather be rich and stay at home then have to go out and work all the time

and if my parents buy me stuff it dosent mean that i wont know what to do when i leave home?

shopping, bills, work what more is there?

Virgin Mary
14-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Well if people were smart then they wouldn't have to resit. If I were the queen of education I wouldn't allow it because it's simply cheating!

benjamin
14-03-2008, 06:05 PM
my mum has always offered to give me whatever i want because my dad only gives me a tenna every time i go see him, but i'm not a selfish spoilt brat and i don't take it, and if i do i feel bad.

so i got a job to earn my own money :}

Slowpoke
14-03-2008, 06:11 PM
i'm like this, i get everything i ask for pshh

Pyroka
14-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sort of like that, but I try to pay everything I can with my own job. I can't say I don't try to pay my way through life, with a Primark wage haha. I won't buy stuff if I really can't afford to. I've sold stuff before just to put up with phone bills because I never got lent any money. Stuff like that just adds to life experience.

Rcss
14-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Tbh heres how i see it, if i really want something i will get it bought for me, but its not exactly given to me as nothing ususally as an insentive to get me to do more work or as a present because i got a A in my ICT etc. I wouldnt walk into harrods and be like I had need that £4000 leathure jacket but i do like to be spolit as it were, for example, i was shopping the other day and mum was with me and these jeans were £90 and this really nice jacket was £50 and i was like i want them both but ive only got £100 and i paid for the jeans and my mum paid for the jacket now what is so bad about that ?

timROGERS
14-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Rich people don't annoy me, but those who flash the money and buy crap for their kids do annoy me :( A lot of people stereotype me to be spoilt because I'm quite "posh" - I admit I do get school and outings and stuff paid for me but I never go on expensive holidays, get massive presents or just get stuff randomly bought for me. People think that I get everything bought for me, but I work for money which gets me what I want eg. laptop, Wii, PC. One of my mates gets everything he wants - if he asks for something, he gets it. He's already got an iPhone this way and he's getting a MacBook Air soon.

Jordy
14-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Definitely annoys me, my sister got a job as soon as she turned 16 but she's made me realise how important it is to get a job as she's bought her self some nice things since she's got a job.

I will certainly need and try for a job when I'm 16, I want lots of nice electrical products, driving lessons, a car and to go to university, I'll have to fund these all myself. What really irritates me is that my parents won't pay a penny towards university, I plan to do a rather long course and I'm going to end up working so much to fund this.

Teyauna.
14-03-2008, 07:09 PM
My parents do pay for most of my stuff, but I do not take it for granted. Ever! I'm 13 though and I said at the age of 14 I will get a job so I won't have to rely on my parents for everything. I like the independence.

Rarelime
14-03-2008, 08:35 PM
My parents don't give me money either, but I guess its for the best really. As it teaches you how to value money, as it's pretty important. Everything I have wanted I have had to save up for.

If you are wanting more money get an ISA, as its a really good method of saving and most building societies have good deals, just a matter of looking around. In a matter of months I've managed to max my account out for this financial year, and the money in the account I don't miss cause it's earning me interest ;).

Asher
14-03-2008, 09:02 PM
It's sort of acceptable when you are 13 years of age though. A paper round isn't hardly going to buy you necessities such as clothes. But people 16 + should be employed in my opinion.

Virgin Mary
14-03-2008, 09:18 PM
It's sort of acceptable when you are 13 years of age though. A paper round isn't hardly going to buy you necessities such as clothes. But people 16 + should be employed in my opinion.
Put yourself in the shoes of Bill Gates' children and act as if you wouldn't want to live off his money. Money is why people get jobs so if you have enough money to live off for the rest of your life then what's the point?

whoooosh
14-03-2008, 09:28 PM
i want to get rich so i can give my kids a good life

cocaine
14-03-2008, 09:39 PM
i want to get rich so i can give my kids a good life

who said money can buy happiness?

Asher
14-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Not really. Many lotto winners have remained employed. Some work because they enjoy the aspect of actually working and feeling like they've achieved something.

PaulMacC
14-03-2008, 11:01 PM
dno, my dad/mum do it sometimes.

-:Undertaker:-
14-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Parents pay for the insurance because young people cannot get onto the property ladder anymore. It's so simple yet your all missing it.

who said money can buy happiness?

It can :)

Adam$
14-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I know what you mean, I pay for nearly everything I get (except food etc) and I've learnt the value of money. My friend gets everything bought for him, and he has no value of money.

Jordy
14-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Parents pay for the insurance because young people cannot get onto the property ladder anymore. It's so simple yet your all missing it.

It can :)I've always believed money brings happiness too, however only to an extent, there is more things in life which money can't buy, however there isn't many things. No prizes to guess what :P

Put yourself in the shoes of Bill Gates' children and act as if you wouldn't want to live off his money. Money is why people get jobs so if you have enough money to live off for the rest of your life then what's the point?Sorry to be picky with your example, but Bill Gates doesn't spoil his kids at all on principal, he knows they'll get into drugs and things if they do, I'm not saying they fend for themselves, however they will have to get a job and Bill Gates won't fund them, he gives them enough to have a good start in life and enjoy life, but not enough to waste their lives. The majority of his inheritance is rightly going to his charity, rather interesting bloke and I think he treats his children spot on.

benjamin
14-03-2008, 11:55 PM
my mum always said if she won lotto she would still work
she got a new job and she's quitting because it doesn't keep her busy enough, hahaha.
Not really. Many lotto winners have remained employed. Some work because they enjoy the aspect of actually working and feeling like they've achieved something.

Adam$
14-03-2008, 11:57 PM
my mum always said if she won lotto she would still work
she got a new job and she's quitting because it doesn't keep her busy enough, hahaha.
i've got two jobs at the minute. >.>

benjamin
15-03-2008, 12:00 AM
so does my mum, because her first one didn't push her enough and bored her, she got an evening one at a pub because she enjoys it lmaoo

what are ypurs two?
i've got two jobs at the minute. >.>

-xstalkx-
15-03-2008, 12:09 AM
my parents pay for a lot of my stuff, but im pretty young... the agreement is once i stop learning and get a job i have to fund myself and i personally see this as pretty fair... a lot of you would think this is 'spoilt' but i do kinda earn the money in a way. i have no other way of getting money, so by trying my best in school, contributing around the house and generally being good i get a reward - pocket money.

Adam$
15-03-2008, 12:38 AM
so does my mum, because her first one didn't push her enough and bored her, she got an evening one at a pub because she enjoys it lmaoo

what are ypurs two?
I work at my uncle's business and I also work at Somerfield.

RedStratocas
15-03-2008, 04:15 AM
as long as it's not excessive and they are of age to have a job, im not really annoyed. i can ask my parents for basically anything and they wouldn't question giving it to me. especially stuff like things for school. they've got plenty of money. but i have a job and do pay for lots of stuff voluntarily. it's not just what you spend on your kid, there's other factors involved.

MissAlice
15-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Everyone's circumstances are different. Some parents can afford to give their children everything on a plate, and if it makes life easier for their child then I don't see any shame in that, but I also think it's very important to teach the value of money, and it shouldn't always be given too easily. My parents aren't rich, and I've worked hard for some of the things I own. I was lucky enough to have my parents buy my first car as a birthday present, a cheap run around just to get me started. They also paid for my driving lessons since I was at college and unable to afford them myself. But I was made to pay for my theory test and my practical, and I can see why, if I failed why should they pay the bill? Being able to drive is a privilege when you are 17/18. There are some lessons in life that money can't buy, paying twice for my practical was nearly £100 and I didn't mind paying for it.

Pazza
15-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Annoys me too though.

Sometimes we come to agreement to pay half for something, IE my wii

Jordan,
15-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Myne pay for every thing lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!