PDA

View Full Version : The cost of living - [Closes 22/9/08]

Mr.OSH
22-03-2008, 08:28 PM
With the continual rise in housing prices, the cost of fuels and the global "credit crunch" is it going to become impossible to afford to live the lives we lead at the moment? Will we have to change our life styles in order to prevent the UK and other major countries from reaching economical disaster or is the whole thing just a small blip that will even itself out over time?

Will the cost of living reach a point where we have to change our lifestyle or will international economies be able to handle the pressure they are put under now? Are we really being sustainable economically?

Happy Debating! :)

SHOPLIFTER
22-08-2008, 10:56 PM
no it wont, end.

Fehm
23-08-2008, 11:02 AM
There'll be a large turn around on the governments attitude sooner or later, which will help people to support the cost of life.

Life wont end, because evolution may take place

Endless posibilites. i dunno lol.

tdi
24-08-2008, 01:50 AM
we're charged through the roof in taxes.. everything in europe's much cheaper (petrol, tobacco, etc) - but I believe the cost of living will continue to increase..

lifestyle changes are mildly in place at the minute, people are buying less of what they 'might need' and instead just buying what they 'do need' - there's sales everywhere because retailers want to get rid of excess stock.

despite the rising cost of living, however, it still remains popular.

Cypher-
24-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I think house prices wont be on a high forever, its just basic common sense that the more young men (and women) who go through getting nvq's or getting themselves into a building trade mean more builders have more workers and therefore more house's eventually.

The cost of fuel will stay at a high basically because there is a limited amount of it, and because its basically liquid gold whoever has it controls the market and the price for it. The fuel market is a dictatorship as big companies like BP are ripping the *** out of buying and selling it.

I really dont think the cost of living overall will be a massive problem, more young people than ever are passing their a levels and going to university and coming out with degrees which basically means you have a higher chance to get a job which earns more than someone with no qualifications, and if you couple that with the prospect of finding a partner and having a dual income for your lifestyle then there wouldnt be much if any worry.

Lycan
24-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Recently i've had to look alot into the cost of living including that of luxery items and in my area to get a rental on a house/flat in a decent area i'm going to have to spend £600 - £650 a month (which is a 2 bedroom)

Food in the case of me and my girlfriend is luckily not that much at £30 pw (£120pm)
Gas & Electric - £50 - £100 pm
Council Tax - £75 - £100
Internet & Phone (In the case of my life style and Job as well as my Girlfriends OU courses internet is vital) - £30 pm

So already up to £800 - £900 PM ... and thats with no real luxury items after all i havn't included my cider obsession in with the foodbill because its unlikely i'd be able to spend that much a week on it along with other items!

To be honest its not the rise in Electricty and Food that bothers me (although it does a little.. as it appears shops are selling the same item at the same price but are using cheaper ingredients causing me to dislike the product..)
Its that the cost of Rentals have been affected ergo house prices. Few years ago £550 pm would of got a nice 2 bedroom house.

The Price of fuel doesn't affect me at the moment ether... after all i walk/ride but i can't see the fuel prices leveling off.. perhaps if it wasn't so heavily taxed for a short time then it might decrease

So Overall -

£1000 PM will buy you the minimum lifestyle (which luckily the minium wage covers as long as you work a 9-5 job, 4 weeks of the month)

You can kiss thoose foreign holidays away though.. you maybe able to get 1p flights but you can't get 1p resorts, hotels, or holiday rentals!

So i can't see myself going away from the UK for a while...

tdi
25-08-2008, 03:03 AM
I was quite pleased at the start of the month however where fuel prices dropped. I now pay 1.20 instead of 1.35 for diesel!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!