PDA

View Full Version : Zedtu v2

Klydo
24-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay, I've started to code the new version of Zedtu. I need to know if there are any size or positioning issues for anyone. So check it out and screenshot any problems.

Please be aware the site uses PNG transparency therefore will not work in IE 6 or lower. This will not be resolved as I've now decided to code and design all my sites to be compatible with IE7 and higher.

http://www.zedtu.com/v2dot0/

DaveTaylor
24-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Mehh it looks fine on a 30" screen lol nice work (Y)

loserWILL
24-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I hate it, there's nothing very nice too it, doesn't make me say "I want to buy from these people".

Klydo
24-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I hate it, there's nothing very nice too it, doesn't make me say "I want to buy from these people".
I didn't ask for opinions. Please read the post. I'm asking for screenshots of any mispositioning due to the nature of the coding.

Thanks, Dave. Could I ask your resolution?

Moh
24-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Your site has only been open for like 1 month, and your working on V2 allready?

Ini
24-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow, thats a very nice template.

No errors as far as i can see

Snex
24-03-2008, 02:08 PM
It wont load for me?

Klydo
24-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Um, why's that a problem :S

Thanks Chris for checking.

It wont load for me?

Does it give an error message?

Moh
24-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Your putting too much work into it, what if this project dosn't work out as you expected?

kk.
24-03-2008, 02:10 PM
we cant tell you if it looks fine if we dont know what its supposed to look like

also, you should at least try and code it for IE6 and lower and you can add the JS for png transparency(i think it owrks im not sure)

Klydo
24-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Your putting too much work into it, what if this project dosn't work out as you expected?
Without work no project will work out, I'm just doing the work so I can earn my reward at the end of it all. The main reason for the update is people disliked the bright colours on v1 so I decided to change it. Going more along the lines of very outer-space shades as I like to call them.

we cant tell you if it looks fine if we dont know what its supposed to look like

also, you should at least try and code it for IE6 and lower and you can add the JS for png transparency(i think it owrks im not sure)
I refuse to code for IE6 now since that browser will soon be gone. Once IE8 is launched, it's rumored that Microsoft will start to release update notices to all IE6 users. So then at least the majority of their users won't be 2 or more versions behind. They done the same when IE7 came out for IE5.5 users. Also the Javascript option isn't a certain solution, as it doesn't always work for PNG's which as used a background images.

Dentafrice
24-03-2008, 02:12 PM

How many ripped layouts has your fansite had? :rolleyes:

There is no reason we can't offer a new layout once in a while.

It wont load for me?

If you could, ping it and see if you get a response :) If there is no response, that could be a problem and we would have to trace it.

Thats your opinion, which you are entitled to, what if it doesn't work out like we expected?

What have we lost? We have gained valuable experience, plus it can be put in our resume/CV.

I am sure this is building our resume/CV faster then your Habbo Fansites are ;)

Snex
24-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Does it give an error message?

Can't find the server at www.zedtu.com (http://www.zedtu.com).... You know the rest.

Edit: I can't ping it neither.

Dentafrice
24-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Can't find the server at www.zedtu.com.... You know the rest.
I'll PM you :)

Moh
24-03-2008, 02:15 PM
How many ripped layouts has your fansite had? :rolleyes:
None as it was the other fansite which ripped the layouts. And please don't start another arguement.

Klydo
24-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I never made this thread to become another arguement guys and girls. I opened it so people could report any mispositioning in their different resolutions as I coded the top half of the site using the main background as one image. Which causes problems with positioning divs to line up witht he image.

Dentafrice
24-03-2008, 02:17 PM
None as it was the other fansite which ripped the layouts. And please don't start another arguement.
Don't be a hypocrite?

You're the one trying to start an argument with your comments:

"Your site has only been open for like 1 month, and your working on V2 allready?"

"Your putting too much work into it, what if this project dosn't work out as you expected?"

If you don't want an argument, please don't post argumentive posts inside of a good discussion thread ;)

If we could, lets continue on with the dicussion that this thread was meant to be.

Bojangles
24-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Tested it in safari, ff, opera, looks fine on my screen too.

QuickScriptz
24-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Please be aware the site uses PNG transparency therefore will not work in IE 6 or lower. This will not be resolved as I've now decided to code and design all my sites to be compatible with IE7 and higher.

Well you know, it's not important if 30% of users browsing the web won't have your site displayed properly or anything because you couldn't be bothered to make it cross-browser compatible....

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I hate how people just think that because they use or do something a certain way that everyone else will. BE REALISTIC PEOPLE. You're never going to have every single internet user on one browser or even the same set of standards, it's called competition. It's all fine and great that you're just too lazy to put in that little bit of extra code for your images to make them transparent in IE6, but honestly, who are you hurting?

Today, any web design company that isn't cross-browser compatible is really just an oxymoron in itself. The web is a diverse cultural and technological landscape that has billions of users worldwide each with different ideas, beliefs, opinions, software, hardware, and all the rest of it. How can you even represent yourself as a WEB design company if you only cater to a select group of browsers?

Now in the short term, yes it may take you longer to code your layouts and design your sites but in the long term, that's where the gain is for you. You have clients who are happy because their users aren't complaning (why does that image have an ugly grey background that covers up the content?) and the client has a great and functional site that is accessible to everyone (which expands their possible userbase by A TON).

Spend the time now and you won't regret it later. End of story.

Anyways, just had to say that....

SATIRE
24-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Well you know, it's not important if 30% of users browsing the web won't have your site displayed properly or anything because you couldn't be bothered to make it cross-browser compatible....

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

I hate how people just think that because they use or do something a certain way that everyone else will. BE REALISTIC PEOPLE. You're never going to have every single internet user on one browser or even the same set of standards, it's called competition. It's all fine and great that you're just too lazy to put in that little bit of extra code for your images to make them transparent in IE6, but honestly, who are you hurting?

Today, any web design company that isn't cross-browser compatible is really just an oxymoron in itself. The web is a diverse cultural and technological landscape that has billions of users worldwide each with different ideas, beliefs, opinions, software, hardware, and all the rest of it. How can you even represent yourself as a WEB design company if you only cater to a select group of browsers?

Now in the short term, yes it may take you longer to code your layouts and design your sites but in the long term, that's where the gain is for you. You have clients who are happy because their users aren't complaning (why does that image have an ugly grey background that covers up the content?) and the client has a great and functional site that is accessible to everyone (which expands their possible userbase by A TON).

Anyways, just had to say that....

Fantastic post.

Good rant that I feel I should repeat it.

By the way Greg, the design is disgusting and old-fashioned. It's not snazy and modern at all, and the navigation makes me want to turn away immediately.

Also, don't be such a ****.

Edited by jesus (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude.

wewt
24-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I think your header should say Zedtu. It looks like you're named Z2. ...And no one who wants to use your services cares what version your site is. Nice to see that you've removed that you 'do backends'.

Forge
24-03-2008, 04:32 PM
All problems aside i really do like the idea of the layout.
Btw works fine for me and im using IE7

Jõnathan
24-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I think your header should say Zedtu. It looks like you're named Z2. ...And no one who wants to use your services cares what version your site is. Nice to see that you've removed that you 'do backends'.
Z2 is pronounced "zed-too" or, "zhi-too"
and lol @ that last sentence

wewt
24-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Z2 is pronounced "zed-too" or, "zhi-too"
and lol @ that last sentence

So when they leave their name somewhere they're going to write:

Made by Z2 (pronounced zed-too)?

Klydo
25-03-2008, 03:37 AM

MySpace, Facebook and Panic are all non-compatible with IE6. There is no longer reason to design and code for IE6. If someone visits the site using it, I will simply ask them to upgrade.

MySpace and Facebook have some of the biggest user databases online to date. Then Panic are one of the leading web-development tool makers, so if they are no longer designing or coding for IE6 neither will I. It's just wasting time and making it harder to do the things I want.

Independent
25-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Okay, I've started to code the new version of Zedtu. I need to know if there are any size or positioning issues for anyone. So check it out and screenshot any problems.

Nice, just a question.. but is this for Zedtu or pulsevps?

And, are you greg or caleb? :p

Klydo
25-03-2008, 03:49 AM
It's for Zedtu, says in the first paragraph.

Also I'm Greg, as I design and code the front end's of sites.

Independent
25-03-2008, 03:51 AM
k.. (:

Hypertext
25-03-2008, 03:57 AM
MySpace, Facebook and Panic are all non-compatible with IE6. There is no longer reason to design and code for IE6. If someone visits the site using it, I will simply ask them to upgrade.

MySpace and Facebook have some of the biggest user databases online to date. Then Panic are one of the leading web-development tool makers, so if they are no longer designing or coding for IE6 neither will I. It's just wasting time and making it harder to do the things I want.

I want Coda so badly. I need a mac! I'm dying! Bill Gates thinks life is about word-processing waaaaghh!

Klydo
25-03-2008, 05:08 AM
So when they leave their name somewhere they're going to write:

Made by Z2 (pronounced zed-too)?
No the name is Zedtu, but on the site we write it (z2). It will be displayed like that on client site's too. It's just something different. Is Nike's name Swoosh? No, it's just branding.

Plux
25-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Working fine here.

I quite enjoy the concept of the set out, it's just that you're interacting
one "style" with another, you should also have Zedtu sticking out, full name.
Liking the concept, it's just not portrayed well.

Klydo
25-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I designed it with (z2) as that's what we're now going by. So I can't really change that since it's our logo. Yes our name is Zedtu but our logo is (z2).

Also the top style is just a header, the actual content is to act like a workbench. So I've designed it to over lap one another. So they work together well.

Plux
25-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I designed it with (z2) as that's what we're now going by. So I can't really change that since it's our logo. Yes our name is Zedtu but our logo is (z2).

Also the top style is just a header, the actual content is to act like a workbench. So I've designed it to over lap one another. So they work together well.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but the wood is a tad dark, if it was a bit brighter it'd be great, possibly if it's going to have the work bench effect,
it should have some images dotted around, maybe of a pencil, tools etc?
That should finalise the workbench effect.

Klydo
25-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I understand what you mean, but the wood is a tad dark, if it was a bit brighter it'd be great, possibly if it's going to have the work bench effect,
it should have some images dotted around, maybe of a pencil, tools etc?
That should finalise the workbench effect.
I'm going to be putting on sticky notes and so on. As putting things such as tools will look odd as there is no way to place them on without using a tonne of space.

Plux
25-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Sounding great.

GoldenMerc
25-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Thats what you do with sites, You put work into it to make it perfect for what you need, Which is what he is doing... Nothing wrong with that.

Dentafrice
25-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Thats what you do with sites, You put work into it to make it perfect for what you need, Which is what he is doing... Nothing wrong with that.
I have to agree on this =]

Independent
25-03-2008, 01:03 PM
I have to agree on this =]
Not changing your status? ;p

On-Topic: But I doubt you're too release a new version every month, that's hard work, fair enough it's probabaly worth it, adobe update there site like every week or so, but there a huge company..

Dentafrice
25-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I changed it, just wasn't refreshed. I have a desktop application.

Independent
25-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I changed it, just wasn't refreshed. I have a desktop application.
Oh, alright. (:

wewt
25-03-2008, 04:04 PM
No the name is Zedtu, but on the site we write it (z2). It will be displayed like that on client site's too. It's just something different. Is Nike's name Swoosh? No, it's just branding.

That's completely different. Everyone knows what the Nike swoosh stands for. No one knows what 'z2' stands for. When you're that big maybe then can you do the same.

Klydo
26-03-2008, 09:18 AM
That's completely different. Everyone knows what the Nike swoosh stands for. No one knows what 'z2' stands for. When you're that big maybe then can you do the same.
Nike started off with the Swoosh, just like Shell started off with the Shell. If you randomly decide to introduce a logo once you're popular it will never catch on. So you place a logo when you're starting up so then you have an identity people know is you.

Jme
26-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Just noticed, Greg. When I'm at college the 3 div's are parralell to each other, but at home they are on top of each other. Also, in college, the background doesn't repeat.

Klydo
26-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Just noticed, Greg. When I'm at college the 3 div's are parralell to each other, but at home they are on top of each other. Also, in college, the background doesn't repeat.
Don't worry, it's all be changed now.

wewt
26-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Nike started off with the Swoosh, just like Shell started off with the Shell. If you randomly decide to introduce a logo once you're popular it will never catch on. So you place a logo when you're starting up so then you have an identity people know is you.

Yeah, they started off like this:
http://www.swordplayla.com/images/shows/nike_swoosh.gif

;S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!